Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Keith on his favorite Bowie song
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 23, 2015 16:34

Chris Fountain
I agree. Comments shouldn't be taken seriously.

Fact of the matter is that Bowie makes great music. If anyone has a chance take a step back in time and watch the 1983 Vancouver Show. That was one great tour.

I agree with that as well...I guess I'd just observe that Keith seems to get 'a pass' at saying some pretty insensitive and sometimes downright moronic things.

I'd also observe that things seemed to have settled down a bit since 2012. I hope that he's just a little 'wiser' now, and not holding back more vitriol for when the band takes another 'break'.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 23, 2015 16:42

yeah Keith needs to just chill...and stfu...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 23, 2015 16:45

Has anyone seen this clip of Bowie on the UK Parkinson show in 2002? He tells of seeing the Stones opening for Little Richard in 1963 (at the Brixton Odeon) and has a funny Mick Jagger story along with a more than passable impression.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 23, 2015 17:23

whitem8
Keith can be a cranky curmudgeon, and thinks when he talks tough like this he is tough, and it sounds cool. Well he sounds like a bitter jealous blowhard when he discounts someone with Bowie's obvious talent. I suspect a bit of jealousy that Bowie and Jagger were such good friends... and I am sure Jagger looked at Bowie's success as a solo artist with some jealousy as well.
Bowie is the real deal. A man with incredible talent, and an artist who loves to take risks. You might not like all he does, but he sure has a very eclectic catalogue. . . And yeah even he succumbed to the crappiness of the 80s!

Here we go again..Someone who can't accept that Keith doesn't like Bowie so he figured out a reason in his own head why Keith would say he didn't like it.

Or Keith doesn't like Bowie's music..No big deal.

Date: February 23, 2015 17:27

Chris Fountain

Fact of the matter is that Bowie makes great music. If anyone has a chance take a step back in time and watch the 1983 Vancouver Show. That was one great tour.

Its not a fact to everyone that Bowie makes great music..Its your opinion that he does.

I tried watching one of his 83 shows yesterday because of this thread and wasn't impressed at all. But that's my musical taste, probably a lot like Keith's.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 23, 2015 17:37

stanlove
Chris Fountain

Its not a fact to everyone that Bowie makes great music..Its your opinion that he does.

I tried watching one of his 83 shows yesterday because of this thread and wasn't impressed at all. But that's my musical taste, probably a lot like Keith's.

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 23, 2015 21:46

stanlove
whitem8
Keith can be a cranky curmudgeon, and thinks when he talks tough like this he is tough, and it sounds cool. Well he sounds like a bitter jealous blowhard when he discounts someone with Bowie's obvious talent. I suspect a bit of jealousy that Bowie and Jagger were such good friends... and I am sure Jagger looked at Bowie's success as a solo artist with some jealousy as well.
Bowie is the real deal. A man with incredible talent, and an artist who loves to take risks. You might not like all he does, but he sure has a very eclectic catalogue. . . And yeah even he succumbed to the crappiness of the 80s!

Here we go again..Someone who can't accept that Keith doesn't like Bowie so he figured out a reason in his own head why Keith would say he didn't like it.

you're completely, right, "no big deal".

But I don't think he has to be a bastard about it. You can not like something, it's not your taste, without publicly shooting it down. It just shows immaturity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-24 15:22 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: February 23, 2015 22:55

stanlove
Chris Fountain

I went to a couple of the '83 shows. They were okay but nowhere near Bowie's best performances. All of the 70s tours were far, far better. More fresh, more exciting, more electric. By the 80s Bowie was just another older rock star pandering to the MTV crowd. I still love the guy's music but I must disagree with the alleged superiority of the '83 tour. YMMV.

As for the original point of this topic, it's just Keith shootin' off his yap. No big deal.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: February 23, 2015 23:11

I would have loved to attend one of his "Blueeyedsoul" concerts in late 1974. But was born that year so that's my excuse for not going....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 24, 2015 12:06

stanlove
whitem8

Ah I get it now! When you are acting like a blowhard you are emulating Keith. That is quite clever stanlove!

As for best shows. 83 wasn't that great compared to other tours. It was Bowie for the commercial market. His Reality Tour was far superior. And as was stated above his 70's tours were also far better. But the Serious Moonlight tour was fun...

Date: February 24, 2015 17:40

Roscoe
stanlove
Chris Fountain

I went to a couple of the '83 shows. They were okay but nowhere near Bowie's best performances. All of the 70s tours were far, far better. More fresh, more exciting, more electric. By the 80s Bowie was just another older rock star pandering to the MTV crowd. I still love the guy's music but I must disagree with the alleged superiority of the '83 tour. YMMV.

As for the original point of this topic, it's just Keith shootin' off his yap. No big deal.

I am not a big Bowie fan at all but because of this thread watched some of an 1983 concert on you tube. I looked for the songs that I like which is not many and didn't like the way they were performed at all. Heroes is my favorite and in 1983 it sounded like he ruined it with the typical 80s sounds. Wasn't impressed at all, and have seen him perform it and other songs much better at other times.

AS for Keith's comments on Bowie why would anyone care except maybe Bowie and he probably doesn't care. I don't understand music fans when it comes to this,

If someone says they don't like a Movie do fans of that movie feel the need to get pissed off about it? Its really weird the way so many music fans react when someone knocks music they like. I see it from many music fans in threads that are about one artist vs another. Like they can't stand the fact that some people choose one artist over another, Unless you like the artists exactly the same it shouldn't be hard to choose one over the other. They are both great doesn't cut it. I saw a Sprinsteen vs Bowie thread recently and it was amazing how many people said its a stupid thread..Why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-24 17:48 by stanlove.

Date: February 24, 2015 17:49

whitem8
stanlove
whitem8

Ah I get it now! When you are acting like a blowhard you are emulating Keith. That is quite clever stanlove!

As for best shows. 83 wasn't that great compared to other tours. It was Bowie for the commercial market. His Reality Tour was far superior. And as was stated above his 70's tours were also far better. But the Serious Moonlight tour was fun...

I don'[t act like a blowhard, I do cut through the crap sometimes though..

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: February 24, 2015 20:00

Richards is one of those musicians who looks backward in time for inspiration -- in his case to Muddy Waters and Chuck Berry, for example. I don't recall him ever saying anything good about his contemporaries or the rock bands that came after the Rolling Stones. I don't think he pays much attention to them.

Bowie is too much of a showman for my taste, but he was the best thing on the radio in 1976 when he put out "Golden Years," "Fame," and "Young Americans."

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 24, 2015 22:38

For me, the most cringe-worthy comment made by Keith was when he criticized Prince for using the name "Prince", saying "Prince has to find out what it means to be a prince. That's the trouble with conferring a title on yourself before you've proved it. He's a prince who thinks he's a king already." Meanwhile, he's completely oblivious to the fact that "Prince" is his birth name.

Date: February 24, 2015 22:55

My name is Prince, and I am funky
My name is Prince, the one and only
In the beginning, God made the sea
But on the 7th day, he made me

Date: February 24, 2015 23:19

Boognish
For me, the most cringe-worthy comment made by Keith was when he criticized Prince for using the name "Prince", saying "Prince has to find out what it means to be a prince. That's the trouble with conferring a title on yourself before you've proved it. He's a prince who thinks he's a king already." Meanwhile, he's completely oblivious to the fact that "Prince" is his birth name.

Roger Nelson?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 24, 2015 23:23

Boognish

that WAS funny,talk about putting your foot in your mouth.the problem with those post-1980 keith interviews is that he would get drunk and just fire away totally oblivious to the fact the interviewer was not his friend or his drinking buddy but a writer looking for a story.

prince seemd to give charlie trouble too-he talked on about how great princes song "1991" was.and he kept saying "1991" and no one had the nerve to tell him...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 25, 2015 07:42

stanlove
whitem8
stanlove
whitem8

I don'[t act like a blowhard, I do cut through the crap sometimes though..

Well to quote from you "here we go again" where you make broad generalisations about what someone has posted without really seeming to understand what the person wrote. I have no doubt Keith doesn't like Bowie. That is clear. Which is what I wrote. I do though think his quote, saying he only knows Changes also shows he doesn't even really know Bowie's work and seems to be a bitter knee jerk quote which could have more to do with Bowie the man than Bowie the music. There. Clear for you? Comprende?

Date: February 25, 2015 10:40

Boognish

Love your name Boognish. I never see them referenced here. (Ween I mean..)

Date: February 25, 2015 11:35

I wish he played in more movies in the 70s. Bowie was pure class back then. The Man Who Fell To Earth is weird as f-uck though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-25 11:35 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: latcho ()
Date: February 25, 2015 12:52

Bowie is a chameleon and "changes" all the time
Keef is always keef wherever he goes.
about the quote he made about bowie,
mmmmm, a silly day, a silly question, silly answer, !!! no big deal.
i'm sure keef liked sometings bowie did,
but he is just not his type.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: February 25, 2015 19:28

More Hot Rocks
BowieStone
More Hot Rocks
Bungo
Keith's an idiot.

He's right

Who? Bungo?

No Keith is right. Bungo is wrong

no, bungo is right. keith is wrong on this drinking smiley

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: February 25, 2015 22:47

There are only a few good things that Bowie has come up with in my opinion. I think the best thing he's been involved with is recording Dancing In The Street and that was with another singer who did the better job so I'm on Keith's side on this one.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:35

There are only a few good things that Bowie has come up with in my opinion.

Yep the dude's got great legs and he's not to shabby with make-up either ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: February 26, 2015 00:24

Interesting comments here.

Keith, Bowie and Lou Reed are among my all time favourites. Right up there with Bob & Neil for me.

And Powerage is my favorite ACDC record too.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 26, 2015 01:17

treaclefingers
MisterO
I remember Keith saying back in an eighties interview that he "Liked Culture Club and Big County" and IIRC the Stary Cats and someone else....Not to long after that I remember him saying (In playboy, I think) that he did not like Bruce and found his music pretenious, but he said it in a delicate way something along the lines of 'I hope I don't upset a lot of people' as if his words were going to ruin Bruces career lol.

So he likes Boy George but Bowie's a poser......

Lets also keep in mind that Keith has also been a laughing stock in the media as well. He probably the most famous junkie of all time. Maybe on some level that type of press bothered him.

If that is at all true, that it bothers him, then the solution is for him to stop saying stupid things.

Oh don't be so daft!

Date: February 26, 2015 01:18

Keith hates Boy George. They even had a fight in the media.

Date: February 26, 2015 01:26

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 26, 2015 01:57

[image on right] Whoah! Culture Shock! Boy George has become George Michael.

Date: February 26, 2015 02:11

maybe his panty-hose are just too tight ...

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2067
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home