Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What Does Rock 'n' Roll Have To Do With Politics?
Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: July 4, 2005 04:52

Not much. And thank god for that. If rock' n' roll were a political venture I would have become a banker long ago. And I hate this board being turned into a 'political' forum. I come here to discuss music and the people that play it, mainly The Stones.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Re: What Does Rock 'n' Roll Have To Do With Politics?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 4, 2005 05:14

I dont care for it being turned into something political either, because too often it turns into a lot of ignorant, jingoistic dick-waving.

But to answer your question - rock n roll is about many things - and freedom of expression, rebellion and reflecting the age you're living in are three of them. The Stones have throughout their career made music that fits into all of those categories to some degree.

So, its certainly 'political' in some sense of the word. Some people may take that as seeing that it has to have some kind of 'party political' agenda, but it doesnt necessarily have to be like that.

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: July 4, 2005 05:43

I agree. The one thing the Stones don't do, which I love, is get political. Yes, they have a few songs that are but are few and far between and they don't preach it at shows or in the media.

I love Springsteens music but get very tired of hearing him get political. Plus, most of these artists don't even know what they are talking about.

Truth be told, many celebs would be green party activists but since that party has no chance of winning and since most of hollywood/music industry are Liberal, they hop on the Democrat wagon.

If these artists truly cared and knew what they were talking about, they would not be flying around in these nice jets and driving these SUV's or having 10 houses all over the world.

Just stick to music..it's what you do best.

Posted by: SeNdEr ()
Date: July 4, 2005 06:19

Mmmm why do you get ungry?, i dont really care, this is a free world, you can say what you think...if you dont like just change the song

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 4, 2005 06:32

See my post regarding "Neocon"
Let's drop it.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 4, 2005 06:51

Gazza wrote:

"Rock n roll is about many things - and freedom of expression, rebellion and reflecting the age you're living in are three of them".

Totally agree. R'n R must NOT close the eyes. If R'n R see the real life, it's logic to have some comments (good or not, it's another story, it's everyone's opinion). I am glad because the greatest album in the rock history, "Exile" (just my opinion) includes a "political" mesage. "Sweet Black Angel"...

Posted by: SeNdEr ()
Date: July 4, 2005 07:05

I agree with Gazza, Tomk lets calm down, and lets be fiends smiling smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 4, 2005 07:11

We never weren't...friends, that is (as you post has "fiends" which makes us
PAt Garrett and Billy the Kid).

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: July 4, 2005 07:53

Do you know that if live 8 would not have happenend you would not disucss these things and look desperately forward to the new tour and album.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: July 4, 2005 14:10

I agree with Gazza. It's all political... and all un-political. Either way you feel. Dylan was political stuff, if there ever was a folk or rock star that was, and look how much he influenced our Stones (for one of inumerable groups)! Even when he turned religious, well there are religious lobbies all over the place in the USA, so it can still be seen as an issue, whether one likes it or not.
On the other end of that spectrum you have... the Archies? And that's OK.
...Or even take one, single artist like Frank Zappa. One end of it you have "Wowie Zowie" (or "Dinah-Mo-Hum"), and on the other end you have "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing".

Date: July 4, 2005 14:14

SWEET FA.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: July 4, 2005 15:03

stickydion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gazza wrote:
>
> "Rock n roll is about many things - and freedom of
> expression, rebellion and reflecting the age
> you're living in are three of them".
>
> Totally agree. R'n R must NOT close the eyes. If
> R'n R see the real life, it's logic to have some
> comments (good or not, it's another story, it's
> everyone's opinion). I am glad because the
> greatest album in the rock history, "Exile" (just
> my opinion) includes a "political" mesage. "Sweet
> Black Angel"...

I'm glad we can agree on some things!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 4, 2005 17:19

I think r 'n r can be about politics. But it's almost certain to be utter shite if it is. Look at Rage Against The Machine. Fookin' boring IMO. I'd much rather that the artists in the band have the guts to say whatever they want, also on politics, but still makes songs that aren't some propaganda shite. This ain't the 3rd reich (No offense to anyone). Nirvana was a good example on a band that made cool music and said whatever they wanted.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 4, 2005 17:52

Of course we can agree on some things, Gazza. Is that so ...rare on unusual? I'm glad you are glad but suprises me a bit your suprise, my friend!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 4, 2005 18:16

There's nothing more political than 5 guys playing in a rock'n'roll band. That's the very essence of politics.

Date: July 4, 2005 19:55

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> I think r 'n r can be about politics. But it's
> almost certain to be utter shite if it is. Look at
> Rage Against The Machine. Fookin' boring IMO. I'd
> much rather that the artists in the band have the
> guts to say whatever they want, also on politics,
> but still makes songs that aren't some propaganda
> shite. This ain't the 3rd reich (No offense to
> anyone). Nirvana was a good example on a band that
> made cool music and said whatever they wanted.
>
RATM arent shite because they happen to be political.

They're shite because they're shite.

Pure and simple

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 4, 2005 20:01

The Stones have by their very existence & success always been political. I dont mean in some party affiliation / current issue way, but by their values, class-awareness, sense of irony, etc. Rock & roll was political from the beginning.

Date: July 4, 2005 20:04

stickydion Wrote:
> Of course we can agree on some things, Gazza. Is
> that so ...rare on unusual? I'm glad you are glad
> but suprises me a bit your suprise, my friend!
>
>

LOL. No, it was just a little light hearted dig at my own expense and to lighten the mood of the last few days as a few debates get a bit heated at times!

We can all have differences in opinion but its hardly anything worth losing sleep over. Its not like theres no one here I wouldnt have a beer with....(well, maybe one....LOL)

Now, paying for the beers is another matter of course....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-04 21:47 by Gazza.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home