Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: The Replacements Announce U.S. Tour, First Since 1991
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 15, 2015 20:23

Although that article is dated recently, I'm thinking it may be describing a show from a few years ago when he toured as Paul Westerberg and His Only Friends. Antics like that were frequent on that tour. I saw two shows at the Supper Club in New York and, among other things, Paul tore up the guitarist's chord charts, picked up the guy's guitar and threatened to drop it, and then did drop it, pulled out a big knife, slit his wrist, then slit the guitarist's wrist and they became "blood brothers" on stage. They were still great shows though. So hopefully Paul is still sober. There's nothing in the FaceBook page about the described antics happening at recent shows.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 15, 2015 20:25

bleedingman
Although that article is dated recently, I'm thinking it may be describing a show from a few years ago when he toured as Paul Westerberg and His Only Friends. Antics like that were frequent on that tour. I saw two shows at the Supper Club in New York and, among other things, Paul tore up the guitarist's chord charts, picked up the guy's guitar and threatened to drop it, and then did drop it, pulled out a big knife, slit his wrist, then slit the guitarist's wrist and they became "blood brothers" on stage. They were still great shows though. So hopefully Paul is still sober. There's nothing in the FaceBook page about the described antics happening at recent shows.

I have seen him backstage twice on this tour and he was very sober and even low-key.

Date: April 15, 2015 20:28

kohoutek
Sober Paul is fantastic, though a very different live performance. As entertaining as the old Mats shows were, hate to hear that Paul might really be relapsing.

I wouldn't worry.

Date: April 15, 2015 20:31

71Tele
bleedingman

I have seen him backstage twice on this tour and he was very sober and even low-key.

Great to hear, thanks.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 16, 2015 00:18

Sounds like that blog was from the Show in San Francisco. Long tour still ahead of Paul and if he is drinking a 1/2 bottle of whiskey on stage and behaving so badly this early on, I am indeed a bit worried. Lots of temptations on tours.

Tele, did you experience anything like this to indicate this was part of the show or do you think he just had a one-off roll with his demons and will get it together for tomorrow's show in LA., I mean wtf? Who wouldn't be worried. Maybe you think this is a typical show for them but I was hoping they could pull it off sober this time around.

Although that Partridge Family cover was probably hilarious, reading that brought a smile for sure. Classic.

peace

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: April 16, 2015 00:47

Played a show with Jim and Kurt from the Young Fresh Fellows over the weekend and they had opened for the 'Mats on the previous two nights. They said Paul was stone cold sober, very reserved. Tele, did I perhaps see some pics you took of Paul, Jim and the rest of the Fellows on Facebook or was that someone else? Does your name start with a P? If so, great pics! If not, never mind.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 16, 2015 01:19

Nice to hear Andrew. Strange how someone would blog that stuff during the recent tour, obviously misleading. I should have checked the reviews. Here's one from the San Francisco show.

[ww2.kqed.org]

peace

Date: April 16, 2015 01:34

andrewm
Played a show with Jim and Kurt from the Young Fresh Fellows over the weekend and they had opened for the 'Mats on the previous two nights. They said Paul was stone cold sober, very reserved. Tele, did I perhaps see some pics you took of Paul, Jim and the rest of the Fellows on Facebook or was that someone else? Does your name start with a P? If so, great pics! If not, never mind.

Yes, I took pictures of Paul and Tommy in Seattle (see above), though name starts with a "J". I didn't see Paul drunk or drinking either of the two nights. I wasn't at the SF show, but haven't seen these incidences confirmed anywhere else. Anyone there who can confirm?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 18, 2015 02:27

The Seattle show is up on the Replacements Project site. If you care, the site is blessed by the band. Awesome recording for an audience tape.

[replacementslivearchive.blogspot.com]

Date: April 18, 2015 02:33

crholmstrom
The Seattle show is up on the Replacements Project site. If you care, the site is blessed by the band. Awesome recording for an audience tape.

[replacementslivearchive.blogspot.com]

Great. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to Chicago, Milwaukee, and London.

Date: April 18, 2015 02:43

I apologize for posting what is apparently a very outdated article. All the youtubes and boots indicate that Paul is in good form. What's the story with the tent though? Hope they come back to NYC eventually. They could play the Beacon and do some serious VIP package business. Marc Knopfler, for example, sold out 2 nights, I'm sure they could do the same.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: April 18, 2015 10:16

I was told the reason for the tent in Seattle was to sneak a quick smoke in a non-smoking environment.

Date: April 18, 2015 11:28

andrewm
I was told the reason for the tent in Seattle was to sneak a quick smoke in a non-smoking environment.

Paul was smoking during the set. Probably got scolded up here in politicallycorrectville. I noticed on the set list there were 3 songs listed as an encore that didn't get played. The venue has a curfew also.

The Replacements are back!
Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:04

saw these guys last night in Philly, 2nd in time in a year (Forrest Hills, NYC, prior show), and I'm glad to report that rock and roll is alive and well. I'm just amazed that I missed these guys when they were initally popular - it' great to discover them now and enjoy probably the finest shows they've ever performed given their (relative) sobriety. To Paul & Tommy: keep it up, yound dudes!

if someone could reposte the pic with Keith I'd appreciate it!

btw, check out the 2nd song on this collection as tribute to the Stones:
[www.youtube.com]

Re: The Replacements are back!
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: June 2, 2015 15:58

Tonight and tomorrow tonight the Mats are in London at the Roundhouse (tix still available) - anyone from here going?

I'll be playing some 45's in between bands - I've packed some Stones tracks, any requests ?

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 2, 2015 18:33

Go see them if you can just got back from Amsterdam Monday morning....a long drive from Prague but well worth it!!!!!!! they did about 28 songs in the beautiful venue the Paradiso...go to you tube to see clips....and if your in London or Lisbon please go a very short tour for Europe hopefully an extended one next time....And Everyone have a great time in Minnesota Wednesday night know you will.M

Date: June 2, 2015 21:20

On my way to the show right now! Going tomorrow too, on band guest list. Hah!

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 2, 2015 21:32

And Amsterdam was my #14 show nice to see them Back!!!!!

Date: June 3, 2015 02:38

mikey C
And Amsterdam was my #14 show nice to see them Back!!!!!

You have me beat!

Date: September 25, 2015 11:51

My piece on the London shows and my interview with Paul Westerberg (his last as a Mat!) can be found here

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Date: September 25, 2015 13:33

johnnythunders
My piece on the London shows and my interview with Paul Westerberg (his last as a Mat!) can be found here

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Nice article. Sounds like you got Paul at a good time. I've met him a few times, once he was pretty nice & the other time not so much. I think there was some intoxicant influence the not so much time. They opened for Tom Petty & were brilliant the first half of the set. Then whatever wore off & they just kind of wandered off the stage mid song at the end of set. I saw the first night of this tour & they were great! I hope he keeps putting out music.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 25, 2015 13:37

crholmstrom
johnnythunders

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Nice article. Sounds like you got Paul at a good time. I've met him a few times, once he was pretty nice & the other time not so much. I think there was some intoxicant influence the not so much time. They opened for Tom Petty & were brilliant the first half of the set. Then whatever wore off & they just kind of wandered off the stage mid song at the end of set. I saw the first night of this tour & they were great! I hope he keeps putting out music.

Dr. Seahawk (LOL) didn't this particular rock group make a motion flick in the 90s?

Date: September 25, 2015 14:16

Chris Fountain
crholmstrom
johnnythunders

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Dr. Seahawk (LOL) didn't this particular rock group make a motion flick in the 90s?

Hmmm, I don't think so.

Date: September 25, 2015 16:17

Nice article. But sorry to hear Paul was drinking wine. That can't be good. I thought he was sober again.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 25, 2015 17:37

Great article!
Thanks.

Date: September 25, 2015 19:57

Sipping wine, small sips, not very often.

Date: September 25, 2015 23:01

Nice interview, johnny. You must have been there right after me. I remember Paul being asked if he wanted to do an interview.

It was amazing to see these guys play these songs again. After the very same Roundhouse gig, Tommy said to me "you just saw the last show.". It would be a shame if that were true.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2000
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home