Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: OT: American Grammy Awards
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 9, 2015 23:35

Kanye is the most interesting artist of the last 10-15 years. You never know what to expect and he (nearly) always delivers. My beautiful dark... & The college dropout are stone cold classics in my book.

Greatest moment last night was Dwight Yoakam singing a heartbreaking second vocal with Brandy Clark. Dwight never seems to disappoint me. And Brandy Clark is very promising.
Miranda Lambert was great too. AC/DC somewhat disappointing...highway to hell was way too slow. And oh yeah...I hate Annie Lennox.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: February 9, 2015 23:35

rollmops
No disrespect Candle but I don't get it. Give me Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown and I'll agree with you that that is great music but Kanye and Emimem, no way.
Like Naturalust would say, peace.
Mops

Agreed - can't spell crap without "rap"

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 9, 2015 23:42

BowieStone
Kanye is the most interesting artist of the last 10-15 years. You never know what to expect and he (nearly) always delivers. My beautiful dark... & The college dropout are stone cold classics in my book.

Kanye West is to the 00s what Bowie was to the 70s.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: February 9, 2015 23:58

That is the freakin funniest most ludicrous most disbelieving post of all time! HAHAHAHAHAHHAH

Date: February 10, 2015 00:16

alhavu1
rollmops
No disrespect Candle but I don't get it. Give me Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown and I'll agree with you that that is great music but Kanye and Emimem, no way.
Like Naturalust would say, peace.
Mops

Agreed - can't spell crap without "rap"

WHAT kind of rap are you talking about?

Date: February 10, 2015 00:18

...I can't believe Kanye & Rihanna cut Macca's mic...
Annie Lennox & Tony Bennett were great!

Date: February 10, 2015 00:21

alhavu1
That is the freakin funniest most ludicrous most disbelieving post of all time! HAHAHAHAHAHHAH

I knew that I was funny, but I NEVER thought that I would write "the freakin funniest most ludicrous most disbelieving post of all time".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-10 00:22 by RomanCandle.

Date: February 10, 2015 00:32

Lou Reed about Yeezus:

Kanye West is a child of social networking and hip-hop. And he knows about all kinds of music and popular culture. The guy has a real wide palette to play with. That’s all over Yeezus. There are moments of supreme beauty and greatness on this record, and then some of it is the same old shit. But the guy really, really, really is talented. He’s really trying to raise the bar. No one’s near doing what he’s doing, it’s not even on the same planet.

People say this album is minimal. And yeah, it’s minimal. But the parts are maximal. Take “Blood on the Leaves”: there’s a lot going on there: horns, piano, bass, drums, electronic effects, all rhythmically matched — towards the end of the track, there’s now twice as much sonic material. But Kanye stays unmoved while this mountain of sound grows around him. Such an enormous amount of work went into making this album. Each track is like making a movie.

Actually, the whole album is like a movie, or a novel — each track segues into the next. This is not individual tracks sitting on their own island, all alone.

Very often, he’ll have this very monotonous section going and then, suddenly —“BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!” — he disrupts the whole thing and we’re on to something new that’s absolutely incredible. That’s architecture, that’s structure — this guy is seriously smart. He keeps unbalancing you. He’ll pile on all this sound and then suddenly pull it away, all the way to complete silence, and then there’s a scream or a beautiful melody, right there in your face. That’s what I call a sucker punch.

He seems to have insinuated in a recent New York Times interview that My Beautiful Dark, Twisted Fantasy was to make up for stupid shit he’d done. And now, with this album, it’s “Now that you like me, I’m going to make you unlike me.” It’s a dare. It’s braggadoccio. Axl Rose has done that too, lots of people have. “I Am a God” — I mean, with a song title like that, he’s just begging people to attack him.

But why he starts the album off with that typical synth buzzsaw sound is beyond me, but what a sound it is, all gussied up and processed. I can’t figure out why he would do that. It’s like farting. It’s another dare — I dare you to like this. Very perverse.

Still, I have never thought of music as a challenge — you always figure, the audience is at least as smart as you are. You do this because you like it, you think what you’re making is beautiful. And if you think it’s beautiful, maybe they’ll think it’s beautiful. When I did Metal Machine Music, New York Times critic John Rockwell said, “This is really challenging.” I never thought of it like that. I thought of it like, “Wow, if you like guitars, this is pure guitar, from beginning to end, in all its variations. And you’re not stuck to one beat.” That’s what I thought. Not, “I’m going to challenge you to listen to something I made.” I don’t think West means that for a second, either. You make stuff because it’s what you do and you love it.

That explains the jump-cuts that are all over this record. Over and over, he sets you up so well — something’s just got to happen — and he gives it to you, he hits you with these melodies. (He claims he doesn’t have those melodic choruses anymore — that’s not true. That melody the strings play at the end of “Guilt Trip,” it’s so beautiful, it makes me so emotional, it brings tears to my eyes.) But it’s real fast cutting — boom, you’re in it. Like at the end of “I Am a God,” anybody else would have been out, but then pow, there’s that coda with Justin Vernon, “Ain’t no way I’m giving up.” Un-@#$%&-believable. It’s fantastic. Or that very repetitive part in “Send It Up” that goes on five times as long as it should and then it turns into this amazing thing, a sample of Beenie Man’s “Stop Live in a De Pass.”

And it works. It works because it’s beautiful — you either like it or you don’t — there’s no reason why it’s beautiful. I don’t know any musician who sits down and thinks about this. He feels it, and either it moves you too, or it doesn’t, and that’s that. You can analyze it all you want.

Many lyrics seem like the same old b.s. Maybe because he made up so much of it at the last minute. But it’s the energy behind it, the aggression. Usually the Kanye lyrics I like are funny, and he’s very funny here. Although he thinks that getting head from nuns and eating Asian pussy with sweet and sour sauce is funny, and it might be, to a 14-year-old — but it has nothing to do with me. Then there’s the obligatory endless blowjobs and menages-a-trois.

But it’s just ridiculous that people are getting upset about “Put my fist in her like a civil rights sign”? C’mon, he’s just having fun. That’s no more serious than if he said he’s going to drop a bomb on the Vatican. How can you take that seriously?

And then he’ll come out with an amazing line like “We could have been somebody.” He’s paraphrasing that famous Marlon Brando line from On the Waterfront, “I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let’s face it. It was you, Charlie.” Or he says “I’d rather be a dick than a swallower” — but then he does a whole chorus with Frank Ocean. What he says and what he does are often two different things.

“Hold My Liquor” is just heartbreaking, and particularly coming from where it’s coming from — listen to that incredibly poignant hook from a tough guy like Chief Keef, wow. At first, West says “I can hold my liquor” and then he says “I can’t hold my liquor.” This is classic — classic manic-depressive, going back and forth. Or as the great Delmore Schwartz said, “Being a manic depressive is like having brown hair.”

“I’m great, I’m terrible, I’m great, I’m terrible.” That’s all over this record. And then that synthesized guitar solo on the last minute and a half of that song, he just lets it run, and it’s devastating, absolutely majestic.

There are more contradictions on “New Slaves,” where he says “@#$%& you and your Hamptons house.” But God only knows how much he’s spending wherever he is. He’s trying to have it both ways — he’s the upstart but he’s got it all, so he frowns on it. Some people might say that makes him complicated, but it’s not really that complicated. He kind of wants to retain his street cred even though he got so popular. And I think he thinks people are going to think he’s become one of them — so he’s going to very great lengths to claim that he’s not. On “New Slaves,” he’s accusing everyone of being materialistic but you know, when guys do something like that, it’s always like, “But we’re the exception. It’s all those other people, but we know better.”

“New Slaves” has that line “Y’all throwin’ contracts at me/You know that niggas can’t read.” Wow, wow, wow. That is an amazing thing to put in a lyric. That’s a serious accusation in the middle of this rant at other people: an accusation of himself. As if he’s some piece of shit from the street who doesn’t know nothing. Yeah, right — your mom was a college English professor.

He starts off cool on that track but he winds up yelling at the top of his voice. I think he maybe had a couple of great lines already written for this song but then when he recorded the vocal, but then he just let loose with it and trusted his instincts. Because I can’t imagine actually writing down most of these lines. But that’s just me.

But musically, he nails it beyond belief on”New Slaves.” It’s mainly just voice and one or two synths, very sparse, and then it suddenly breaks out into this incredible melodic… God knows what. Frank Ocean sings this soaring part, then it segues into a moody sample of some Hungarian rock band from the ’70s. It literally gives me goosebumps. It’s like the visuals at the end of the new Superman movie — just overwhelmingly incredible. I played it over and over.

Some people ask why he’s screaming on “I Am a God.” It’s not like a James Brown scream — it’s a real scream of terror. It makes my hair stand on end. He knows they could turn on him in two seconds. By “they” I mean the public, the fickle audience. He could kill Taylor Swift and it would all be over.

The juxtaposition of vocal tones on “Blood on the Leaves” is incredible — that pitched-up sample of Nina Simone singing “Strange Fruit” doing a call-and-response with Kanye’s very relaxed Autotuned voice. That is fascinating, aurally, nothing short of spectacular. And holy shit, it’s so gorgeous rhythmically, where sometimes the vocal parts are matched and sometimes they clash. He’s so sad in this song. He’s surrounded by everyone except the one he wants — he had this love ripped away from him, before he even knew it. “I know there ain’t nothing wrong with me… something strange is happening.” Well, surprise, surprise — welcome to the real world, Kanye.

It’s fascinating — it’s very poignant, but there’s nothing warm about it, sonically — it’s really electronic, and after a while, his voice and the synth are virtually the same. But I don’t think that’s a statement about anything — it’s just something he heard, and then he made it so you could hear it too.

At so many points in this album, the music breaks into this melody, and it’s glorious — I mean, glorious. He has to know that — why else would you do that? He’s not just banging his head against the wall, but he acts as though he is. He doesn’t want to seem precious, he wants to keep his cred.

And sometimes it’s like a synth orchestra. I’ve never heard anything like it — I’ve heard people try to do it but no way, it just comes out tacky. Kanye is there. It’s like his video for “Runaway,” with the ballet dancers — it was like, look out, this guy is making connections. You could bring one into the other — ballet into hip-hop — they’re not actually contradictory, and he knew that, he could see it immediately. He obviously can hear that all styles are the same, somewhere deep in their heart, there’s a connection. It’s all the same shit, it’s all music — that’s what makes him great. If you like sound, listen to what he’s giving you. Majestic and inspiring.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-10 00:34 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 10, 2015 03:41

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 10, 2015 04:02

Koen
jjo
Koen
alhavu1
mighty stork
So Sam Smith is this years Grammy darling for his song "Stay With Me". Since it was ruled that Tom Petty's song "I Won't Back Down" was the underlining melody for Smith's song shouldn't Petty have been awarded also?

This show proved one thing...there is ZERO talent on this show. Well, 95% have no talent and its ttoal garbage.

How much of the show did you actually watch?
Why would anybody waste a second on that . It is painful on the eyes and the ears. Has not held any meaning for a long long time.

You must have watched a different show then, I thought there were lots of great performances by old and new artists.

I agree. I imagine older people in the 60s and 70s bemoaned the no-talents like the Stones, Beatles etc..
Every era has both good and bad. Talent are art isn't something that is relegated to a certain era.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 10, 2015 04:45

jjo
alhavu1
mighty stork
So Sam Smith is this years Grammy darling for his song "Stay With Me". Since it was ruled that Tom Petty's song "I Won't Back Down" was the underlining melody for Smith's song shouldn't Petty have been awarded also?

This show proved one thing...there is ZERO talent on this show. Well, 95% have no talent and its ttoal garbage.

AC DC and Miranda are teh real deal..but..what is an Iggy? The only one I know of with any credibility is Iggy Pop. Madonna???!! Oy vey
Did you like Pharell's new hat?

Not very original. I'm not sure which movie character he was trying to copy:

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 10, 2015 07:02

Great to see Beck's win for the stunning Morning Phase. A very beautiful album that was on no one's radar for the Best Album award! Fantastic win Beck!

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 10, 2015 07:17

whitem8
Great to see Beck's win for the stunning Morning Phase. A very beautiful album that was on no one's radar for the Best Album award! Fantastic win Beck!

It was on mine. Thought this was a great album. Also liked St. Vincent who won best alternative and Ziggy Marley for best reggae.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 10, 2015 07:55

Lou Reed said all that about Kayne West? What was he doing, producing the record? peace

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 10, 2015 08:14

mighty storke, I too love Morning Phase! But it just didn't do very well commercially and didn't seem to be on anyone's Grammy to win list. So this was great! Somewhat like when Arcade Fire one, surprising so many people. I saw Beck during the Morning Phase tour and it was an outstanding show! The man is very talented.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 10, 2015 10:14

BowieStone
Kanye is the most interesting artist of the last 10-15 years. You never know what to expect and he (nearly) always delivers.

Totally agree. Well, one of the three most interesting, the other two being Jack White and Beck, so happy days. smiling smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 10, 2015 11:35

stupidguy2

I agree. I imagine older people in the 60s and 70s bemoaned the no-talents like the Stones, Beatles etc..
Every era has both good and bad. Talent are art isn't something that is relegated to a certain era.

Talent doesn't exist without a copious amount of work.
The Beatles and the Stones churned out album after album. These w@nkers put out one song every six months.

It's not a gen vs gen issue, it's a "legitimate artists" vs "have you seen my wardrobe" issue. Big difference.
Me I don't care about Gaga's meat dress or Pharrell's mounties hat. thumbs down

Remeber this "Songs For Drella" tune :

Maybe all these young "artists" should get a copy of this (fine) album with their Grammy?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-10 12:45 by dcba.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 10, 2015 13:44

I don't know too much about Kanye's music, but I do know that to many of today's youth he is their Bob Dylan. No kidding.

I'm thinking I need to check out Beck's new album.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: February 10, 2015 14:45

It was over 2 hours long right? 85 percent of the show and its artists was complete garbage for my taste. I hoped for something brilliant but to no avail. But then I tend to think that all music ended at best around 1978. About Lou Reed's quote posted above; I don't get it. Sounds like he's describing many of Frank Zappa's albums. How is it that country music now sounds like pop rock and a best rock album sounds like a long meditational folk song to fall asleep to? Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne I'm sure had a laugh for their miminal efforts collecting new royalties from an old song. I could go on but as I mentioned, 85% so I'll stop here.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 10, 2015 16:09

It was actually over 3 hours, which adjusted for inflation makes it too damn long...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 10, 2015 17:42

I quit watching it and went over to Better Call Saul...

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: February 10, 2015 18:05

Pharell should have done a little Keith Moon ala bell boy.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 10, 2015 18:26

duke richardson

...totally disappointing IMHO, The second episode (which aired Monday) finally got good that last 10 minutes. I don't know if I hold much hope, I'll give it a few more weeks.

Date: February 10, 2015 18:28

Aquamarine
BowieStone
Kanye is the most interesting artist of the last 10-15 years. You never know what to expect and he (nearly) always delivers.

Totally agree. Well, one of the three most interesting, the other two being Jack White and Beck, so happy days. smiling smiley

He's so interesting that he had McCartney's mic shut off.

Date: February 10, 2015 19:38

BluzDude
Aquamarine
BowieStone

Can't imagine he had anything to do with that technical glitch. But his trying to take the Best Album moment away from Beck by taking the stage and then dissing both Beck and the Grammy's afterward is pretty disgraceful. I don't care if some say he's is a genius, he's a rude, pretentious jerk. Should give his Grammy to Beyonce if he had any class. peace

Date: February 10, 2015 19:52

Naturalust
BluzDude
Aquamarine
BowieStone

Can't imagine he had anything to do with that technical glitch. But his trying to take the Best Album moment away from Beck by taking the stage and then dissing both Beck and the Grammy's afterward is pretty disgraceful. I don't care if some say he's is a genius, he's a rude, pretentious jerk. Should give his Grammy to Beyonce if he had any class. peace

I totally concur. My comment about the mic, I see it as something he would do if he could because that's now is image, but yes, I'm sure it was a technical thing.

Date: February 10, 2015 20:20

I think Shirley Manson got it right when she ripped Kayne West for his Grammy behavior. Quote:

"It is YOU who is so busy disrespecting artistry. You disrespect your own remarkable talents and more importantly you disrespect the talent, hard work and tenacity of all artists when you go so rudely and savagely after such an accomplished and humble artist like BECK."

"In attempting to reduce the importance of one great talent over another, you make a mockery of all musicians and music from every genre, including your own," she wrote. "Grow up and stop throwing your toys around."

Beyoncé "doesn't need you fighting any battles on her account."

Go girl. I'd bet Mr. West hasn't even heard Beck's album. peace

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 10, 2015 20:32

Everybody is talking about Kanye....even on a stones forum.

I'd bet that is exactly what he wants.
What does he care what a one-album wonder, over 20 years ago, like Shirley Manson thinks of him...she puts his name in the paper.

Date: February 10, 2015 21:04

BowieStone
Everybody is talking about Kanye....even on a stones forum.

I'd bet that is exactly what he wants.
What does he care what a one-album wonder, over 20 years ago, like Shirley Manson thinks of him...she puts his name in the paper.

More importantly everyone is talking about Beck, I'd bet Kayne just boosted Beck's album sales a bit. Kayne probably doesn't care what any artist save Beyonce thinks of him, I think that part of the point. My point is that I share Shirley Manson's feelings on the subject as probably do a lot of other people.

Just feel a bit sorry for Beck. He looked downright scared when that jerk approached him on the stage. Karma is a bitch and Mr. West will get his someday. peace

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 10, 2015 21:05

BluzDude
duke richardson

...totally disappointing IMHO, The second episode (which aired Monday) finally got good that last 10 minutes. I don't know if I hold much hope, I'll give it a few more weeks.

the slight problem the show has is that the bar is raised so high ..by BB..

still I think Odenkirk is a fine actor. he's taking on a huge challenge, trying to follow Breaking Bad, but a lot of the writers, directors are on board with BCS...

I agree it got better last night..

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home