Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
OT: American Grammy Awards
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 9, 2015 06:21

So Sam Smith is this years Grammy darling for his song "Stay With Me". Since it was ruled that Tom Petty's song "I Won't Back Down" was the underlining melody for Smith's song shouldn't Petty have been awarded also?

Re: OT: American Grammy Awards
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 9, 2015 06:39

mighty stork
So Sam Smith is this years Grammy darling for his song "Stay With Me". Since it was ruled that Tom Petty's song "I Won't Back Down" was the underlining melody for Smith's song shouldn't Petty have been awarded also?

No I don't think so, but Mr. Petty should hope the song makes a ton of money so he can collect on copyright infringement royalties. peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-09 06:56 by Naturalust.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: February 9, 2015 06:51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:16 by camper88.

Date: February 9, 2015 06:56

camper88
Naturalust
mighty stork

No I don't think so, but Mr. Petty should hope the song makes a ton of money so he can collect on copyright infringement royalties. peace

I don't think Tom's going to collect copyright infringement on a song for which he and Jeff Lynne share co-writing credits along with 12.5% royalties.

Excellent point!

peace

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 9, 2015 08:22

I like Sam Smith, love the song, and I never, ever made the connection until I read about the claims...
Tom was as classy as can be about it, and probably realized it was unintentional. It shares a slight similarity in the main chorus, just like so many others songs share slight melodic similarities. But that's it, because the melody changes into something else after that line. I'm not a fan of these so-called plagiarism claims....
There are only so many melodies and chord progressions..

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 9, 2015 14:39

But you know some of Petty's songs sound like The Byrds, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan.......

Is anything truly original if you have influences?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 9, 2015 14:47

To me what's funny is the 1st row of the crowd is populated with top-tier superstars... who appear to be complete unknowns for a Non-American like me. grinning smiley

It took four watchings of the ACDC segment to realize the cheap fat wh0re who was holding an old man's arm (Tony Benett?) was in fact... Lady Gaga!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-09 14:48 by dcba.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 9, 2015 15:55

dcba
To me what's funny is the 1st row of the crowd is populated with top-tier superstars... who appear to be complete unknowns for a Non-American like me. grinning smiley

It took four watchings of the ACDC segment to realize the cheap fat wh0re who was holding an old man's arm (Tony Benett?) was in fact... Lady Gaga!

Hey...who you calling cheap?

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 9, 2015 16:10

mighty stork
But you know some of Petty's songs sound like The Byrds, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan.......

Is anything truly original if you have influences?

and some Byrds songs sound like George Harrison songs or is it George Harrison songs sound like Byrds songssmoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 9, 2015 17:01

Munichhilton
dcba

AC/DC rocked it out...a great kickoff to the night.

I know they had to do the new number, but I think they should have done Thunderstruck instead, and even lose Highway to Hell, which was great, and replace it with You Shook Me All Night Long.

Two songs the audience would definitely know and rock to. But it was excellent nonetheless.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 9, 2015 17:30

<<some Byrds songs sound like George Harrison songs or is it George Harrison songs sound like Byrds songs>>

A bit of both.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: February 9, 2015 17:52

mighty stork

This show proved one thing...there is ZERO talent on this show. Well, 95% have no talent and its ttoal garbage.

AC DC and Miranda are teh real deal..but..what is an Iggy? The only one I know of with any credibility is Iggy Pop. Madonna???!! Oy vey

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 9, 2015 18:01

The end is near, prepare for some rightwing Christian propaganda:

Date: February 9, 2015 18:09

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
dcba

AC/DC rocked it out...a great kickoff to the night.

I know they had to do the new number, but I think they should have done Thunderstruck instead, and even lose Highway to Hell, which was great, and replace it with You Shook Me All Night Long.

Two songs the audience would definitely know and rock to. But it was excellent nonetheless.

All things considered they rocked the theme to Dynasty as well
Good choices all around

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 9, 2015 18:11

What about that idiot Kanye West jumping up on stage once again and almost grabbing the Grammy away from Beck with his Beyonce love fest.\

Some say it was a parody but afterwards he claimed he was serious and would work behind the scenes to "correct" the flawed voting "gaff" in his opinion.

I think he should be banned. Or does he deserve another pass because it is not politically correct?

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: February 9, 2015 18:14

alhavu1
mighty stork

This show proved one thing...there is ZERO talent on this show. Well, 95% have no talent and its ttoal garbage.

AC DC and Miranda are teh real deal..but..what is an Iggy? The only one I know of with any credibility is Iggy Pop. Madonna???!! Oy vey
Did you like Pharell's new hat?

Date: February 9, 2015 18:21

The Sicilian
What about that idiot Kanye West jumping up on stage once again and almost grabbing the Grammy away from Beck with his Beyonce love fest.\

Some say it was a parody but afterwards he claimed he was serious and would work behind the scenes to "correct" the flawed voting "gaff" in his opinion.

I think he should be banned. Or does he deserve another pass because it is not politically correct?

I think he deserves Kim Kardashaloony...justice served

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: February 9, 2015 18:27

The best of the Night was AC/DC of course and Music Film Winner: “20 Feet From Stardom,” Darlene Love, Merry Clayton, Lisa Fischer and Judith Hill

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 9, 2015 19:02

alhavu1
mighty stork

How much of the show did you actually watch?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-09 19:02 by Koen.

Date: February 9, 2015 19:29

treaclefingers

I thought it was fitting that they played Highway to Hell because it was kind of a nod to Bon Scott and basically the song that launched them to the stratosphere. The two songs basically covered their whole career.

They could have done It's a Long Way To The Top for similar reasons and perhaps a more fitting theme at the Grammy's but I guess Brian won't perform this tune out of respect for Bon (or maybe cause he can't play the bagpipes). peace

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: February 9, 2015 22:08

Koen
alhavu1
mighty stork

Why would anybody waste a second on that . It is painful on the eyes and the ears. Has not held any meaning for a long long time.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 9, 2015 22:42

I am happy that Beck won because his record "Morning Phase" is great. Maybe not for everybody's taste but he made a well crafted album with beautiful melodies, harmonies and amazing musical arrangments. It's low key but very sincere and effective on the brain. No pretentious crap like Kanye West's overrated and auto tune bullshit.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 9, 2015 22:47

Munichhilton
The Sicilian

I think he deserves Kim Kardashaloony...justice served

Good point!

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 9, 2015 22:54

rollmops
I am happy that Beck won because his record "Morning Phase" is great. Maybe not for everybody's taste but he made a well crafted album with beautiful melodies, harmonies and amazing musical arrangments. It's low key but very sincere and effective on the brain. No pretentious crap like Kanye West's overrated and auto tune bullshit.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Overrated?

Date: February 9, 2015 22:58

Man RomanCandle, you are all over the map musically. Beginning to think you like anything that uses the 12 musical notes. grinning smiley Is there anything you don't like? peace

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 9, 2015 23:06

jjo
Koen
alhavu1
mighty stork

Why would anybody waste a second on that . It is painful on the eyes and the ears. Has not held any meaning for a long long time.

You must have watched a different show then, I thought there were lots of great performances by old and new artists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-09 23:09 by Koen.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 9, 2015 23:12

There's too many of them. 105 awards is at least 55 to much.

Date: February 9, 2015 23:14

Naturalust
Man RomanCandle, you are all over the map musically. Beginning to think you like anything that uses the 12 musical notes. grinning smiley Is there anything you don't like? peace

grunge, gothic rock...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 9, 2015 23:18

No disrespect Candle but I don't get it. Give me Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown and I'll agree with you that that is great music but Kanye and Emimem, no way.
Like Naturalust would say, peace.
Mops

Date: February 9, 2015 23:20

rollmops
No disrespect Candle but I don't get it. Give me Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown and I'll agree with you that that is great music but Kanye and Emimem, no way.
Like Naturalust would say, peace.
Mops

grinning smiley

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2092
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home