Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: OT: American Grammy Awards
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 17, 2015 04:31

latebloomer

Well he gets some props from me for his references to Strange Fruit and On the Waterfront. Setting aside whether or not you appreciate his music, as a lyricist he is extremely talented. Sick, as my son would say.

Here are the lyrics to that song you posted, I'm having trouble finding the talented part. I'm really looking bloomer.... Maybe it's just me...... peace

I just wanna clear my mind now
It's been racin' since the summertime
And I'm holdin' down the summer now
And all I want is what I can't buy now
Cause I ain't got the money on me right now
And I told you to wait
Yeah I told you to wait
So I'm a need a little more time now
Cause I ain't got the money on me right now
And I thought you could wait
Yeah, I thought you could wait
These bitches surroundin' me
All want somethin' out me
Then they talk about me
Would be lost without me
We could've been somebody
Thought you'd be different 'bout it
Now I know you naughty
So let's get on with it

You could've been somebody
'Stead you had to tell somebody
Let's take it back to the first party
When you tried your first molly
And came out of your body
And came out of your body
Running naked down the lobby
And you was screamin' that you love me
Before the limelight tore ya
Before the limelight stole ya
Remember we were so young
When I would hold you
Before the glory
I know there ain't wrong with me

Something strange is happening

You could've been somethin'
We could've, we could've been somebody
Or was it all our first party
When we tried our first molly
And came out of our body
And came out of our body

Before they call lawyers
Before you tried to destroy us
How you gon' lie to the lawyers?
It's like I don't even know ya
I gotta bring it back to the 'Nolia

@#$%& them other niggas cause I'm down with my niggas
I ride with my niggas, I'll die for my...

To all my second string bitches, trying to get a baby
Trying to get a baby, now you talkin' crazy
I don't give a damn if you used to talk to Jay-Z
He ain't with you, he with Beyonce, you need to stop actin' lazy
She Instagram herself like "Bad bitch alert"
He Instagram his watch like "Mad rich alert"
He only wanna see that ass in reverse
Two thousand dollar bag with no cash in your purse
Now you sittin' courtside, wifey on the other side
Gotta keep 'em separated, I call that apartheid
Then she said she impregnated, that's the night your heart died
Then you gotta go and tell your girl and report that
Main reason cause your pastor said you can't abort that
Now your driver say that new Benz you can't afford that
All that cocaine on the table you can't snort that
That going to that owing money that the court got
On and on that alimony, uh, yeah-yeah, she got you homie
'Til death but do your part, unholy matrimony

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 17, 2015 23:19

Heck NL, what are you comparing it to...Stray Cat Blues or @#$%&? I don't pretend to get hip hop and rap, but I do know that the lyrics can't be separated from the beat, the rhythmic chant. Of course it looks kinda ridiculous on a page, it's not meant to be experienced that way.

Okay, I'm taking a peace out from this thread. cool smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 18, 2015 00:05

Great lyrics NL...looking forward to introducing my children to this song, so inspiring.

I especially like how he rhymes afford that with abort that and snort that.

Classic!

Date: February 18, 2015 00:44

Yes, let's all of us Stones fans get up in arms over vulgar, tasteless lyrics. And heaven forbid, don't let the kids here em!

Yikes, how did I land here...Aquamarine, it's all your fault. You can pay me back with a glass of wine someday. grinning smiley

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 18, 2015 00:49

treaclefingers
Great lyrics NL...looking forward to introducing my children to this song, so inspiring.
Almost as inspiring as "you make a dead man cum".

Date: February 18, 2015 00:54

Boognish
treaclefingers

what in god's name is a boognish? oh, I guess that's what google is for:

boognish
1.) Demon God who has shown himself thrice to the prophet brothers Deaner and Gener. Resides somewhere outside the orbital buffer. Tradition has it that this entity holds a sceptor in each hand: that of wealth and that of power.
2.) slang term for nooglet.
Big Fat @#$%&.......Feeling Like A Big Fat @#$%&

source [www.urbandictionary.com]

Oh.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 18, 2015 00:59

Who cares what my name is?
edit #5432: thanks for googling anyway, I'm flattered smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-18 01:03 by Boognish.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 18, 2015 01:31

latebloomer
Yes, let's all of us Stones fans get up in arms over vulgar, tasteless lyrics. And heaven forbid, don't let the kids here em!

Yikes, how did I land here...Aquamarine, it's all your fault. You can pay me back with a glass of wine someday. grinning smiley

I think we'll both need a large glass, latebloomer. winking smiley (I confess it's my fault, I'll try to restrain my enthusiasms in future!)

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 18, 2015 01:37

latebloomer

Well he gets some props from me for his references to Strange Fruit and On the Waterfront. Setting aside whether or not you appreciate his music, as a lyricist he is extremely talented. Sick, as my son would say.

Maybe the full performance makes more sense : New Slaves + Blood On The Leaves

Another great live performance by Kanye West :

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 18, 2015 01:55

latebloomer

Ha...excellent post. You can isolate the lyrics of more than a dozen Stones songs and have a laugh or a sneer.

Date: February 18, 2015 02:00

Boognish
Who cares what my name is?
edit #5432: thanks for googling anyway, I'm flattered smiling smiley

I HAD to know! Welcome to the board!

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: February 18, 2015 05:26

Boognish
treaclefingers

That line was nicked from a 1930's blues song so you can't give Mick all the credit for the, uh, inspiration.

Date: February 18, 2015 07:33

stupidguy2
latebloomer

Ha...excellent post. You can isolate the lyrics of more than a dozen Stones songs and have a laugh or a sneer.

yeah, but now we're winning ugly.

Date: February 18, 2015 07:53

latebloomer
Heck NL, what are you comparing it to...Stray Cat Blues or @#$%&? I don't pretend to get hip hop and rap, but I do know that the lyrics can't be separated from the beat, the rhythmic chant. Of course it looks kinda ridiculous on a page, it's not meant to be experienced that way.

No worries bloomer, you are totally right about the lyrics can't generally be separated and analyzed too closely, as true for rock as it is for rap and R & B. Unless you're Bob Dylan, the poetry usually doesn't work on it's own.

I guess I was just questioning the "as a lyricist he is extremely talented" part, trying to understand where it came from. peace

Date: February 18, 2015 17:47

Naturalust
latebloomer

No worries bloomer, you are totally right about the lyrics can't generally be separated and analyzed too closely, as true for rock as it is for rap and R & B. Unless you're Bob Dylan, the poetry usually doesn't work on it's own.

I guess I was just questioning the "as a lyricist he is extremely talented" part, trying to understand where it came from. peace

No worries NL, and I'll grant you,"extremely" was maybe a bit much, how about just somewhat talented? grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 18, 2015 17:48

treaclefingers
Boognish
treaclefingers

what in god's name is a boognish? oh, I guess that's what google is for:

boognish
1.) Demon God who has shown himself thrice to the prophet brothers Deaner and Gener. Resides somewhere outside the orbital buffer. Tradition has it that this entity holds a sceptor in each hand: that of wealth and that of power.
2.) slang term for nooglet.
Big Fat @#$%&.......Feeling Like A Big Fat @#$%&

source [www.urbandictionary.com]

Oh.

Wait. What is a nooglet then?

Date: February 18, 2015 17:52

treaclefingers
stupidguy2
latebloomer

Wasn't looking to win anything treacles, just adding my opinion. Why don't you join Aqua and I for that big glass of wine and we can talk coffee instead of Kanye? grinning smiley

Date: February 18, 2015 17:59

latebloomer
treaclefingers
stupidguy2
latebloomer

Wasn't looking to win anything treacles, just adding my opinion. Why don't you join Aqua and I for that big glass of wine and we can talk coffee instead of Kanye? grinning smiley

Sorry latebloomer...I was just making an obscure Rolling Stones lyrical reference to 'tie it all together' so to speak, so not actually 'offended' by anything!

Maybe 'mock-offended'?! Too early for wine, but I'm pounding back the coffee this morning! smileys with beer

Date: February 18, 2015 19:14

latebloomer
Naturalust
latebloomer

No worries NL, and I'll grant you,"extremely" was maybe a bit much, how about just somewhat talented? grinning smiley

Naw, but I'll settle for vulgar and tasteless. grinning smiley peace

Date: February 18, 2015 19:43

Okay, group hug guys...followed by tasteless coffee and vulgar jokes. smiling smiley

Date: February 18, 2015 20:13

latebloomer
Okay, group hug guys...followed by tasteless coffee and vulgar jokes. smiling smiley

OK, but I prefer wine with my hugs. smoking smiley peace

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 18, 2015 22:40

Yeah but alcoholic grizzly bears are damn hard to find

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 18, 2015 22:43

Rockman

Oh yeah.................

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 18, 2015 22:52

............... SHIT!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: February 18, 2015 22:57

NICOS
Rockman

Oh yeah.................

Hilarious but probably more common than Rockman thinks. My Mom had a Grizzly with cubs visit her orchard a few years back with similar funny results, they stayed till closing time (3 days) and ruined alot of apple trees. Fish and Game wouldn't remove the bears "lady, just keep your dogs inside and enjoy the show" but she probably didn't mention the contributing to the delinquency of minors aspect of the event. drinking smiley peace

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 19, 2015 01:08

I'm not a fan of Sam Smith BUT the song " Stay With Me" does not sound like Petty's song at all. Tom Petty made enough money in his day, let the guy alone!
I HATE Kanye West. The guy is such a media pig. And obnoxious, arrogant and a total BORE!
I had to toss my 2 cents in. Other than that, I enjoyed the Grammy Awards a lot this year.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 19, 2015 01:24

mickschix
I'm not a fan of Sam Smith BUT the song " Stay With Me" does not sound like Petty's song at all. Tom Petty made enough money in his day, let the guy alone!
I HATE Kanye West. The guy is such a media pig. And obnoxious, arrogant and a total BORE!
I had to toss my 2 cents in. Other than that, I enjoyed the Grammy Awards a lot this year.

Really? I recognized it long before an issue was made of it.

Date: February 19, 2015 01:33

BluzDude
mickschix

you were the bastard that fingered Smith to Petty!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 19, 2015 01:47

<<the lyrics can't generally be separated and analyzed too closely, as true for rock>>

As Steve Allen proved over a half century ago....

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 19, 2015 01:53

treaclefingers
BluzDude
mickschix

you were the bastard that fingered Smith to Petty!

...let that be our little secret winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1852
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home