Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dartford Station gets heritage plaque
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 5, 2015 21:11

Rolling Stones blue plaque: Jagger-Richards Dartford train meet marked

A blue plaque has been unveiled to mark the chance encounter between Mick Jagger and Keith Richards which had a profound effect on rock music.

Jagger and Richards had their first proper meeting on platform two of Dartford station on 17 October 1961.

They bonded over a love of the blues and formed a musical friendship that would lead to the foundation of The Rolling Stones in 1962.

The heritage plaque was unveiled at the station on Thursday.

"We've held a low key event today because Dartford is a working railway station and platform two is a modest space considering the station's enormous role in pop music history," Dartford Borough Council leader Jeremy Kite said.

"I hope that in the years ahead many thousands of rail passengers will enjoy looking at the plaque and realising what a huge part the station played in bringing The Rolling Stones together."

When they met, Richards was on his way to Sidcup Art College, carrying a hollow-bodied Höfner cutaway electric guitar, while Jagger was travelling to the London School of Economics with some of his prized blues records.

The teenagers recognised each other as they had both gone to Wentworth Primary School in the town, with Jagger then going on to study at Dartford Grammar.

The Rolling Stones formed in 1962, and went on to become one of the most successful, influential and enduring rock 'n' roll bands in the history of music.

[www.bbc.com]

Re: Dartford Station gets heritage plaque
Date: February 5, 2015 21:23

thumbs up

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 5, 2015 21:32

So glad they have finally done the right thing.

A 'Blue Plaque' is a pretty big deal in the U.K. and they don't give them out unless it is an important place in history. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 5, 2015 22:19

....all down the line ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 5, 2015 22:23

Strange that it's mounted so high up. You'd think they'd put it at reading level.confused smiley
peace

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 5, 2015 22:30

Vandalism at train and bus stations is commonplace anywhere.

Usually on a building it can be even higher but bigger writing on the plaque maybe.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 5, 2015 22:36

I read a BBC article about commissioning a statue depicting Keith and Mick as they looked in 1961 for the station. That would be fitting.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 5, 2015 22:59

Cristiano Radtke
Rolling Stones blue plaque: Jagger-Richards Dartford train meet marked

Jagger and Richards had their first proper meeting on platform two of Dartford station on 17 October 1961.

Brits drive me nuts with their fetish for the word PROPER. It doesn't even fit here but they made sure to force it in there.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 5, 2015 23:04

I still find it amusing and heartening that England is so keen to recognize the very people they were trying so hard to bust for all those years. Keith's lifestyle just doesn't seem proper (winking smiley) for them to be honoring so much. But of course the music and Sir Jagger kinda wipes all that away. Maybe the guard has finally changed. peace

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 5, 2015 23:26

Surprised the Stones aren't mentioned on this plaque:

Posted by: rubyT ()
Date: February 5, 2015 23:35

Naturalust
Strange that it's mounted so high up. You'd think they'd put it at reading level.confused smiley
peace
maybe because reading level is also stealing level...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 6, 2015 00:05

Charmed I'm sure

About that "proper": It does sound a little odd, but we know what they meant.
Keith and Mick's first first meeting was in a sandpit, but that wouldn't fit on the plaque,
so they said "proper" for short

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-06 00:05 by with sssoul.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: February 6, 2015 00:27

Does anyone know what type of Hofner Keith had? Verithin? Senator?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 6, 2015 01:19

<<I still find it amusing and heartening that England is so keen to recognize the very people they were trying so hard to bust for all those years.>>

That England has since moved along, to the great ministerial department in the sky or thereabouts.

<<Surprised the Stones aren't mentioned on this plaque:

[Ealing Club plaque image]
>>

Because the Stones weren't there for the event marked by the plaque.

<<Does anyone know what type of Hofner Keith had?>>

It's doubtful that Keith even knows at this point.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: February 6, 2015 02:02

crawdaddy
So glad they have finally done the right thing.

A 'Blue Plaque' is a pretty big deal in the U.K. and they don't give them out unless it is an important place in history. >grinning smiley<

Alas, this is not an official Blue Plaque. These are issued by English Heritage and confined to London. It's a "bootleg," if you will, issued by the Dartford Borough Council, which explains the low-key unveiling.

[www.dartford.gov.uk]

Naturalust
peace

We're talking Dartford here. Thieves outweigh literates.

with sssoul
Keith and Mick's first first meeting was in a sandpit, but that wouldn't fit on the plaque, so they said "proper" for short

I don't think "proper" is in the plaque. Seems the BBC came up with the term in a rush after noticing dubious phrasing on the plaque -- "Mick Jagger and Keith Richards met ...", which might be wrongly inferred by some people as "met for the first time."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-06 02:04 by DeanGoodman.

Date: February 6, 2015 02:30

Who will be the first IORRian to take a "proper" photo, on which we can read what's written on the plaque? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: February 6, 2015 02:51

Naturalust
peace

I thought the same too until I thought of yobos that would probably destroy when having skulled too many pints.

It's a great thing they've done and I'm looking forward to getting there one day to see it in person smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 6, 2015 08:44

Any plaque at the gas-station they pissed on..??

2 1 2 0

Date: February 6, 2015 08:53

thecitadel
Does anyone know what type of Hofner Keith had? Verithin? Senator?

According to his autobiography he was carrying a record, not a guitar, when he and the Mick met.
And he doesn't name the type of Hofner he owned around that time: just "an f-hole archtop Hofner steel string"
There are some more photos of it in the Ratbag Boogie guitar index threads ...

- 1962 at the Marquee Club (courtesy of vox12string)

Date: February 6, 2015 09:07

DeanGoodman
with sssoul
Keith and Mick's first first meeting was in a sandpit, but that wouldn't fit on the plaque, so they said "proper" for short

I don't think "proper" is in the plaque. Seems the BBC came up with the term in a rush after noticing dubious phrasing on the plaque -- "Mick Jagger and Keith Richards met ...", which might be wrongly inferred by some people as "met for the first time."

I was joking, dear. But it wasn't a proper joke, so ... yes, right, of course :E

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 6, 2015 11:17

[www.itv.com]

There's a video here that shows the plaque in full (though very briefly - you''l have to pause it to read it).

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 6, 2015 11:29

Green Lady
[www.itv.com]

There's a video here that shows the plaque in full (though very briefly - you''l have to pause it to read it).

..one of the most successful rock bands in all time.. confused smiley There are two rock-bands by Rolling Stones caliber?

2 1 2 0

Date: February 6, 2015 13:04

"We've held a low key event today because Dartford is a working railway station and platform two is a modest space considering the station's enormous role in pop music history," Dartford Borough Council leader Jeremy Kite said.

A classic statement! Long time sufferers who have to use Network Southeast for their daily commute to work will be well used to excuses such as 'leaves on the line' and 'the wrong type of snow' to explain delays and cancellations. At least an announcement along the lines of "This train is delayed due to overcrowding at Dartford Station as hordes of Rolling Stones fans attend the unveiling of a new Mick & Keith plaque" would have brought a smile to a few faces!

On another note, let's hope the plaque is properly attached to the wall.....

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 6, 2015 13:31

"When the train come in Dartford station" smiling smiley.thanks for the clip

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-08 16:15 by runaway.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 6, 2015 14:00

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: February 6, 2015 15:52

I shall have the pleasure of seeing this Plaque next Monday 9th Feb as I have a business meeting in London and will be catching a train from platform 2 at Dartford station.

It's nice to see that the town is finally recognising it's place in the Rolling Stones history.

We now have this plaque, an etching of Mick on the stations glass frontage, a sculpture of Mick in the park, a road named Jagger Close, the Mick Jagger centre and I learned yesterday that there is an unofficial blue plaque outside Keith's old home in Spielman road on the Temple Hill estate.

A far cry from my youth as a teenager growng up in Dartford in the 70's we idolised the Stones but our elders and authority figures looked down on them in utter disdain.

I recall my final year at Dartford Grammar School for Boys in 1976 and the school was celebrating it's 400th anniversary. The school Governors asked us pupils for ideas of how the school should mark the occasion. As the Stones were touring Europe that year and due to perform at Earls Court that summer we suggested they invite Mick along to do a speech at assembly about his time at the school.

They actually laughed at us and told us not to be absurd and said we should consider someone more suitable who would be a better role model for the boys.

These days in the evenings when I walk my dog past the school and look up at the huge sign in the school grounds that proclaims the MICK JAGGER CENTRE it is me who is doing the laughing!

Date: February 6, 2015 15:58

Haha! Nice one, DartfordRenegade.

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: February 6, 2015 16:04

Manofwealthandtaste

A classic statement! Long time sufferers who have to use Network Southeast for their daily commute to work will be well used to excuses such as 'leaves on the line' and 'the wrong type of snow' to explain delays and cancellations. At least an announcement along the lines of "This train is delayed due to overcrowding at Dartford Station as hordes of Rolling Stones fans attend the unveiling of a new Mick & Keith plaque" would have brought a smile to a few faces!

Hey Manofwealthandtaste you are so right about the train service in this neck of the woods.

I will let you know on Monday if the plaque is properly attached to the station wall. If not then rest assured it will be properly attached to my bedroom wall by Monday evening. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 6, 2015 17:07

DartfordRenegade
Manofwealthandtaste

Hey Manofwealthandtaste you are so right about the train service in this neck of the woods.

I will let you know on Monday if the plaque is properly attached to the station wall. If not then rest assured it will be properly attached to my bedroom wall by Monday evening. >grinning smiley<

Looks like Schillid beat you to it!smoking smiley

Date: February 6, 2015 18:59

Green Lady
[www.itv.com]

Thanks a lot, Green Lady. And thanks to schillid, too. smileys with beer

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home