Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Small Faces
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 1, 2005 18:44

I'm fairly sure I've done a similar post on this board before, but what the hell!

Anyway, what's everyone’s opinion on The Small Faces?

In my opinion, they're highly underrated. Everyone here and on Rocks Off seems to have plenty to say about The Faces, but not this band. Maybe it's The Ronnie connection or perhaps many here just prefer their blend of pub rock and boogie woogie to the mod and later, psychedelic music of The Small Faces.

The Small Faces enjoyed incredible success in the charts over here in The UK and unlike The Who, they were genuine mods and not just dressed up as them. Steve Marriott was a fantastic singer and much cooler than Rod Stewart could ever of wished.

Songs like Sha, La, La, La, Lee, Watch’ a Gonna Do About It, My Minds Eye and later classics such as Itchyco Park and Lazy Sunday are tremendous pop songs.

Everyone should take the time to check them out.

Re: The Small Faces
Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 1, 2005 21:46

Agree - a good start is the Sanctuary 2 cd collection from 2003 (much better sound than the Fuel 2000 sets). The 2 Decca albums (1965 - 67) are killer maximum r & b / hard rock, & the entire debut is on that collection - on the 2nd ('From the Beginning') hints of lyricism & psych are evident, & these would be more prominent when they signed w/ Immediate ('67 - 69), spending more time in studio crafting material, which is about 4 more albums' worth: great song craft, state of the art recordings w/ Eddie Kramer & the team behind BB, Hendrix etc (2002's 35th anniversary of the 3rd, 'Small Faces' includes an album's worth of non-lp singles from '67.) Then Ogden's, which is 90% great, & what would have been 'Autumn Stone' if they didnt break up before completing it - sounding closer to Faces / early Humble Pie. They are a major group, Marriott/Lane (& sometimes McLagan) great songwriters. Interesting to compare/contrast the SF & Faces (I love both).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-01 21:55 by john r.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 2, 2005 00:03

I absolutely love both the Faces and Small Faces. I think you're right about the Ronnie connection being why they aren't mentioned as much on this board.

I think Steve Marriot was one of the most talented singers ever to come out of UK and he can compete with some of the best american soul singers. To cap it all, Ronnie Lanes husky voiced songs were a lovely contrast.

My fav songs are Son of a Baker, If I Were a Carpenter (live screaming vocals) Here Comes the Nice and Every Little Bit Hurts.

But my favourite song of all is Tin Soldier.

In fact, the album Ogden's Nutgone Flake is a perfect record - up there with Exile IMHO.

Give me those happy boys toy town newspaper smiles...

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: July 2, 2005 00:15

I've always thought the Small Faces outclassed the Faces. Maybe they were poppier but they had better songs IMO. Now what about the real burning question, since we're talking about Ronnie Lane, what about Slim Chance? Possibly the most overlooked English band of real significance in the past 3 decades.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 2, 2005 01:26

Great stuff, for anybody who digs his beautiful songs w/ F & SF - & the Lane/Slim Chance albums have been expanded/upgraded by (?) Pilot label - thru his last ('See Me' 1980)...You know the unreleased (til a couple years ago) album Lane & Marriott did circa 1981 or 82? Majick Midjits (sp?) - some good stuff, but they wrote seperately so not the sort of collaboration you get in the SF.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 2, 2005 05:54

Great stuff.
All Or Nothing is a great song AND a great single.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 2, 2005 08:36

I was quite surprises when I heard the small faces "you need loving". sounds almost exactly like zeps "whole lotta love", complete with ronnie lanes solo vocal near the end. Makes you wonder how much of that song, zep actually wrote, sounds like just the music.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 2, 2005 14:11

The Small Faces rank right up there with some of the more creative bands from the 60's. Some very talented songwriters and gifted musicians. Once the Small Faces broke up their respective spin off collaberations were all successful as well which tells us how good they really were. Their music still sounds fresh today. I heard Mac and the Bumps play last night for the 3rd time in the past 8 months and the Bump Band never sounded better. I am jealous of those who live in Austin. Such a shame that Laney and Marriott are no longer with us.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: December 29, 2022 17:07

Steve Marriott – Astoria Memorial Concert 2001

With ; Paul Weller, Ian McLagan , Kenney Jones, Noel Gallagher , Peter Frampton, Greg Ridley , Midge Ure, Steve Ellis , Toby & Molly Marriott,and more...

Info & tracklist
[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: December 29, 2022 17:36

"Afterglow" in mono-

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: December 29, 2022 23:31

Tin Soldier - All Or Nothing - I'm Only Dreaming - Afterglow Of Your Love, all fantastic songs.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: December 29, 2022 23:50

Hello,

I think that everything that came out from the Small Faces was incredible great, you have Humble Pie, The Faces and then Steve Marriott as solo.

The Small Faces were a factory of great bands.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: December 30, 2022 00:47

Autumn Stone promo...awesome.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 30, 2022 01:06

There is something about their sound that appeals to Brits (and others obviously), and not to American ears. I'm sure there are examples of vice versa where an American band was big in the States and barely noticed in the U.K. I have the wonderful documentary on them (British Invasion). It didn't change my opinion of them. I did grow to really like Steve Marriot as a vocalist, and subsequently looked up some Humble Pie. I loved Itchykoo Park when I was in grade school. It seemed beautiful and subversive. I think it was the only hit they had here in America.

I've really grown to like the Faces, a group I didn't pay much attention to in the 70s. Ronnie Lane was a hell of a bass player.

The Kinks are another group that were very British, but were able to break through in the states with a clutch of hit records. I understand there was something that made it impossible for them to tour the states in the 60s, when they were at their peak.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 30, 2022 04:16

24FPS
There is something about their sound that appeals to Brits (and others obviously), and not to American ears. I'm sure there are examples of vice versa where an American band was big in the States and barely noticed in the U.K. I have the wonderful documentary on them (British Invasion). It didn't change my opinion of them. I did grow to really like Steve Marriot as a vocalist, and subsequently looked up some Humble Pie. I loved Itchykoo Park when I was in grade school. It seemed beautiful and subversive. I think it was the only hit they had here in America.

I've really grown to like the Faces, a group I didn't pay much attention to in the 70s. Ronnie Lane was a hell of a bass player.

The Kinks are another group that were very British, but were able to break through in the states with a clutch of hit records. I understand there was something that made it impossible for them to tour the states in the 60s, when they were at their peak.

Ray and Dave Davies had a punch up, backstage, after appearing on a U.S. television show, I believe. After which, they were banned from entering the country. I suppose it was decided to stop promoting their music in the States thereafter. It’s funny: although they had some considerable success, stateside, in the mid-to-late 70’s, those records were all but ignored in the U.K. I don’t believe any of their 70’s L.P.’s charted in the U.K., in fact. Quite astonishing, considering their homeland success during the previous decade.

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: December 30, 2022 04:51

This one blows away borders and the jump across the pond.

Starts at 00:30 - wait til after Lazy Sunday - that is the intro

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-30 04:57 by soundboard.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 30, 2022 04:55

Big Al
24FPS

Ray and Dave Davies had a punch up, backstage, after appearing on a U.S. television show, I believe. After which, they were banned from entering the country. I suppose it was decided to stop promoting their music in the States thereafter. It’s funny: although they had some considerable success, stateside, in the mid-to-late 70’s, those records were all but ignored in the U.K. I don’t believe any of their 70’s L.P.’s charted in the U.K., in fact. Quite astonishing, considering their homeland success during the previous decade.

They also ran afoul of the American Musicians Union.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-30 06:04 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: December 30, 2022 15:01

The Small Faces were a great band!
Thanks for the videos!
Still waiting for the "Autumn Stone" box-set!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-30 15:02 by Rank Stranger.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 30, 2022 16:50

Tseverin
I've always thought the Small Faces outclassed the Faces. Maybe they were poppier but they had better songs IMO. Now what about the real burning question, since we're talking about Ronnie Lane, what about Slim Chance? Possibly the most overlooked English band of real significance in the past 3 decades.

I absolutely loved Slim Chance

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 30, 2022 20:12

Rank Stranger
The Small Faces were a great band!
Thanks for the videos!
Still waiting for the "Autumn Stone" box-set!

For me, Steve Marriott was one of the greatest front men ever. I got to see him in a later Humble Pie in a club & he was fantastic. I know this about Small Faces (who were great) but I really love the old Humble Pie records. Awesome stuff.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 30, 2022 20:18

Can only agree. Tin Soldier, Afterglow and All or nothing...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 31, 2022 00:44

I do like a handful of songs the best is the song with one of the greatest intro's Tin Soldier

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home