Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What would the set list look like if the Rolling Stones got to choose it?
Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: January 18, 2015 05:45

What would the set list look like... ...if the Rolling Stones got to choose it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-18 15:38 by bv.

Re: What would the set list look like...
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 18, 2015 06:05

The way it has???

Date: January 18, 2015 06:11

mighty stork
The way it has???

thumbs up

Date: January 18, 2015 06:32

mighty stork
The way it has???

OK smartass. You know what I mean, but I'll clarify anyway.

What if the Rolling Stones got to choose the set list without regard for the expectations of the paying customers. Played what they wanted to play, instead of what the audience expected/wanted to hear.

Sheesh.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 18, 2015 07:05

...Meet the new set list ... same as the old set list...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 18, 2015 07:13

<<Played what they wanted to play, instead of what the audience expected/wanted to hear.>>

But how do you know that these points differ? Keith has always enthused in interviews how much enjoyment he gets out of playing Jumping Jack Flash, for instance. Pardon the pun, but I would bet that they get a great deal of satisfaction out of rising to the expectations of the audience and also tremendous adrenalin from the applause and cheering generated when said expectations are met with success.

Date: January 18, 2015 07:30

Tumbling Dice is one of Mick's favorites so that would likely remain also.

I'd have to look through all their videos and see which songs make them smile the most. I'll get back to you in a few months. Seriously it's hard to say.

Date: January 18, 2015 07:31

stonehearted
<<Played what they wanted to play, instead of what the audience expected/wanted to hear.>>

But how do you know that these points differ? Keith has always enthused in interviews how much enjoyment he gets out of playing Jumping Jack Flash, for instance. Pardon the pun, but I would bet that they get a great deal of satisfaction out of rising to the expectations of the audience and also tremendous adrenalin from the applause and cheering generated when said expectations are met with success.

Thank you for your considered response, stonehearted. But on the other hand, have you ever wondered what it's like to be Mick Jagger, or the Stones at large, singing/playing "Brown Sugar" for the 2,417th time?

I, for one, have never heard Mr. Richards enthuse about playing JJF, at least since the mid-seventies. I find it enormously difficult to believe they aren't sick to death of several of their in-concert chestnuts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-18 07:34 by Stoner72.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 18, 2015 10:37

In his autobiography Mr Richards enthuses at length about playing JJF and Satisfaction,
and states that he wouldn't play a song if he felt it had been played to death.
(My own theory is that that principle is what Mr Richards was demonstrating during SftD on the Bigger Bang tour).

I agree that the set lists are already the Stones' own "collective choice", and they're fine with me,
but it would be sweet to see a 4-night stand where each night a different Stone is in charge of the set list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-18 10:38 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 18, 2015 10:54

Stoner72
have you ever wondered what it's like to be Mick Jagger, or the Stones at large, singing/playing "Brown Sugar" for the 2,417th time?

It's not like the Stones play enough shows these days to be constantly playing these songs. It's different when you're a young band playing as many gigs as you can and playing the same setlist every night because those are the only songs you've got.

Date: January 18, 2015 13:23

Then you weren't reading his rock mag interviews--Q and et al.--in the late 90s and early 00s, where he mentions that you couldn't hear the riff of JJF and not take great pleasure in it it unless you were a "sourpuss".

Date: January 18, 2015 15:37

stonehearted
...he mentions that you couldn't hear the riff of JJF and not take great pleasure in it it unless you were a "sourpuss".

LOL Glad to hear the old bugger still has a hard-on for it!

Still, one of the few times I empathize with rock stars is when they feel trapped by their audience. I.E. Stones fans going to see their shows and "having" to hear "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", "Gimme Shelter", "Start Me Up", et. al.

Date: January 18, 2015 15:38

with sssoul
but it would be sweet to see a 4-night stand where each night a different Stone is in charge of the set list.

That is a great idea!

Re: What would the set list look like if the Rolling Stones got to choose it?
Date: January 18, 2015 15:52

Here's that exact "sourpuss" quote, from a 2002 interview with Rolling Stone:

Are there Stones hits that you're sick of playing?
No, they usually disappear of their own accord. That's the thing about songs — you don't have to be scared of them dying. They keep poking you in the face. The Stones have always believed in the present. But "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Brown Sugar" and "Start Me Up" are always fun to play. You gotta be a real sourpuss, mate, not to get up there and play "Jumpin' Jack Flash" without feeling like, "C'mon, everybody, let's go!" It's like riding a wild horse.

Full interview at: [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: January 18, 2015 17:19

JJF is so explosive, I doubt they would ever get tired of playing it live. The current evolution of the song, with Keith's treble boosted sounding chords is very powerful. Every time I have seen them play it live, Keith goes into another zone, rock band nirvana.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: January 18, 2015 18:18

But poor Mick is the one who has to actually sing 'em

Date: January 18, 2015 18:37

Stoner72
with sssoul

That is a great idea!

Who gets to pick the 4th night?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 18, 2015 18:49

mighty stork
Stoner72
with sssoul

That is a great idea!

Er ... the fourth Stone, right? Not sure what you're asking here.
They could draw straws to set the order - it wouldn't matter, would it?
If they toured this concept and you could only get tickets to one show, whose would you choose to go to?

Date: January 18, 2015 19:17

with sssoul
mighty stork
Stoner72
with sssoul

That is a great idea!

Er ... the fourth Stone, right? Not sure what you're asking here.
They could draw straws to set the order - it wouldn't matter, would it?
If they toured this concept and you could only get tickets to one show, whose would you choose to go to?

Charlie's, if only because he's such a mystery. I have an idea of what Keith and Mick would choose. Little less-clear of Ronnie.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: January 19, 2015 03:47

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:35 by camper88.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 19, 2015 03:58

camper88
mighty stork
Tumbling Dice is one of Mick's favorites so that would likely remain also.

Really?

WENNER: Why does that beat grab you so quick?
JAGGER: I don’t really know what people like about it. I don’t think it’s our best stuff. I don’t think it has good lyrics. But people seem to really like it, so good for them.

Mick may think they have to play it because people really like it. Has he said other things on TD?

""My pet theory is that if you play a particular song long enough onstage, then they mumble to one another, Oh, that's a good song. It's like you've endorsed your own material simply by playing it onstage."
- Mick Jagger, 1978, told people are beginning
to appreciate the song""

quote lifted from the timeisonourside site

peace

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: January 19, 2015 04:19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:34 by camper88.

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: January 19, 2015 14:06

I guess they get the urge for playing something different out of the system during rehearsals. And when playing with others. When on stage with the Stones, playing the big hits, I bet they get a kick just feeling the reaction from the audience. Otherwise they would not have been on that stage playing....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home