Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: OT: The Grateful Dead Re-Unite
Date: July 6, 2015 07:56

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life
band only played 5 shows total this year and i think they played more songs than the stones have played this entire tour
They've played more songs than the Stones have since 1998.

Surprisingly, its worse IMO to watch these shows than it is to listen. When you listen, it kind of still sounds exactly like the Grateful Dead. There's a lack of excitement watching it as opposed to sitting there and imagining the experience.

a bit of an overstatement. the stones have probably played over 150 differet songs in the last 15 years or so

anyways are you buying any of the fare thee well live releases due out in november?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 6, 2015 08:34

keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life
band only played 5 shows total this year and i think they played more songs than the stones have played this entire tour

Surprisingly, its worse IMO to watch these shows than it is to listen. When you listen, it kind of still sounds exactly like the Grateful Dead. There's a lack of excitement watching it as opposed to sitting there and imagining the experience.

a bit of an overstatement. the stones have probably played over 150 differet songs in the last 15 years or so

anyways are you buying any of the fare thee well live releases due out in november?

Yeah, I didn't mean it literally, but nearly 100 songs in 5 shows is damn impressive. And it in all honesty probably isn't THAT much less than the Stones, but then again its 2 entirely different bands.

I may be some of the releases. I'd prefer a great compilation set of all the best songs. I don't really need all the full shows, but I also don't know what they're planning to release.

Date: July 6, 2015 08:49

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life

Yeah, I didn't mean it literally, but nearly 100 songs in 5 shows is damn impressive. And it in all honesty probably isn't THAT much less than the Stones, but then again its 2 entirely different bands.

I may be some of the releases. I'd prefer a great compilation set of all the best songs. I don't really need all the full shows, but I also don't know what they're planning to release.

several differnt options.
-the final show july 5th on cd/dvd/blu ray
-the entire chicago run. limited edition. i think its 14 cd's and 8 dvds/blu rays
-2 cd set of highlights from all 3 nights in chicago

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 6, 2015 08:58

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life

True for the Stones as well..I love the persicope but not even remotely close to the buzz of the show..but beggars cannot be choosy...I have seen over 100 live Stones shows since 75 and video recordings, you tube clips, etc never do them justice.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: July 6, 2015 10:20

I'm in a small hole in the wall bar having a few beers and thinking about what I've heard for the last three days. The place is packed with Deadheads.
Jerry cannot be replaced but the magic was still there and they pulled off some excellent shows. I love the Rolling Stones but there were no surprises in the show I saw at Petco Park nor the set lists I've seen since. In the last three days I've heard three completely different shows. Other than a couple of obvious choices for Sat. July 4 (One More Saturday Night and U.S Blues), the set lists were guess-and-check. The Grateful Dead (and this configuration deserved to use the name) did not play it safe with a stadium audience and I didn't hear any grumbling or disappointment from anyone. Also, the after-concert scene at a GD show is second to none.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 10:21 by likecats.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 6, 2015 15:13

keefriffhard4life

In five shows, they played only two songs twice.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 6, 2015 15:14

Trey did an admirable job in a tough role and was more than adequate..his solo's and guitar playing added some up-tempo and life into the songs.

Date: July 6, 2015 16:20

ab
keefriffhard4life

yes truckin and another tune. outstanding job and they still missed several tunes everyone thought would get played like "black muddy river", "goin down the road feelin bad" and "ramble on rose"

Date: July 6, 2015 16:46

keefriffhard4life
ab
keefriffhard4life

yes truckin and another tune. outstanding job and they still missed several tunes everyone thought would get played like "black muddy river", "goin down the road feelin bad" and "ramble on rose"

or "Promised Land".."Big River" etc. Dead mainstays

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 6, 2015 17:05

Truckin and Cumberland Blues were the only repeats. Aside from Space and Drums which were played every night.

Posted by: MJRocksoff ()
Date: July 6, 2015 18:37

The Dead are a band that is unique to ALL bands. With that being said The Rolling Stones are my all time fav band! First of the Dead have a culture that few understand and also a collection of songs that is "accepted" by all of thier fans. If the Stones played a stadium like Indy with just rarities they would have fans walking out bc they didnt hear Start Me Up. Sad but true... The Grateful Dead can play a song they did a handful of times in 1969 and take it out of thioer bag as they did last night and it had the entire crowd glued to each note and lyric...My highlight last night at the final show was Phil Lesh singing Unbroken Chain right after the Drums solo as they did at the last show in 1995 at Soldier Field! God Bless The Grateful Dead!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 6, 2015 18:49

its good to be anywhere
I've seen the Grateful Dead 67 times. That's more times than I've seen the Stones (but to be fair I've never seen the Stones on multiple nights at the same venue plus GD tickets were a heck of a lot cheaper). Since Jerry died I've seen a couple of early Furthur fests, one Phil Lesh solo show and some kind of "The Other Ones" reunion at Alpine valley in 2002 . I'm done with it. I have absolutely no interest in seeing fake Jerry play with the remaining members of the GD. If other people want to go see them that's great. I think I would feel the same way if Keith, Mick or Charlie passed away and the remaining members continued to tour as the Rolling Stones (which I don't think will ever happen).

Wow. If you've seen them 67 times it's entirely possibly you would be able to re-unite with some of the people you've met along the way. I think there are many fans who share your feeling about no Jerry, no GD, but still found the reunion shows highly fun and entertaining for reasons not entirely related to the music and more about the the GD community enjoying the spirit of the long strange trip.

After this huge success, I'm guessing this may not be the last we see of them actually. They probably had so much fun they are all talking about how and when they can do it some more.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 6, 2015 19:02

Naturalust
its good to be anywhere
I've seen the Grateful Dead 67 times. That's more times than I've seen the Stones (but to be fair I've never seen the Stones on multiple nights at the same venue plus GD tickets were a heck of a lot cheaper). Since Jerry died I've seen a couple of early Furthur fests, one Phil Lesh solo show and some kind of "The Other Ones" reunion at Alpine valley in 2002 . I'm done with it. I have absolutely no interest in seeing fake Jerry play with the remaining members of the GD. If other people want to go see them that's great. I think I would feel the same way if Keith, Mick or Charlie passed away and the remaining members continued to tour as the Rolling Stones (which I don't think will ever happen).

Wow. If you've seen them 67 times it's entirely possibly you would be able to re-unite with some of the people you've met along the way. I think there are many fans who share your feeling about no Jerry, no GD, but still found the reunion shows highly fun and entertaining for reasons not entirely related to the music and more about the the GD community enjoying the spirit of the long strange trip.

After this huge success, I'm guessing this may not be the last we see of them actually. They probably had so much fun they are all talking about how and when they can do it some more.
Nope, they will be good to their word. As long as Phil runs the show there's only so much these guys can stand. Of course the Stones are the greatest Rock n Roll band but The Dead were the best and most unique concert experience in our day. Who would give over a one hundred songs in 5 nights? That's dedication to the audience and rehearsal. Trey was outstanding, his effort should be applauded, puts all 3 of the ill prepared Stones guitarists in perspective. True respect for the audience was what I saw from The Grateful Dead this week.

Date: July 6, 2015 19:19

DoomandGloom
Naturalust
its good to be anywhere

Nope, they will be good to their word. As long as Phil runs the show there's only so much these guys can stand. Of course the Stones are the greatest Rock n Roll band but The Dead were the best and most unique concert experience in our day. Who would give over a one hundred songs in 5 nights? That's dedication to the audience and rehearsal. Trey was outstanding, his effort should be applauded, puts all 3 of the ill prepared Stones guitarists in perspective. True respect for the audience was what I saw from The Grateful Dead this week.

Well said and you are probably right. I wasn't aware of Phil running the show. Where is that info coming from?

Phil didn't accompany the guys on their true vacations that started after their In The Dark Success and I often wondered why. Bill Wyman syndrome perhaps? winking smiley

Date: July 6, 2015 19:21

Naturalust
DoomandGloom
Naturalust
its good to be anywhere

Well said and you are probably right. I wasn't aware of Phil running the show. Where is that info coming from?

Phil didn't accompany the guys on their true vacations that started after their In The Dark Success and I often wondered why. Bill Wyman syndrome perhaps? winking smiley
Phil's wife runs the business...

Posted by: MisterAccapella ()
Date: July 6, 2015 19:24

I flew to Raleigh and caught the Stones on Wednesday night. Although the set list was standard stadium fare, the Stones delivered with energy and sheer excitement. On Saturday some friends came over and we rented the Grateful Dead pay per view ($50 for High-Def). The band came out for an hour and played only obscure album tracks at a plodding almost dirge-like pace. They announced that they were going to be "Back in a bit" and took a one hour intermission!! They returned for another hour of the same boredom and then went into 30 minutes of Kreutzmann and Hart playing simple beats over a recorded instrumental. My daughter commented that it reminded her of the Blue Man Group. They closed with another slow one, Stella Blue. After walking off of the stage without a goodbye, they returned and played plodding, lifeless versions of "One More Saturday Night" and finally "US Blues".

My friends, who are hardcore Dead fans, were bored out of their minds. One fell asleep. I have heard that the first night was more uptempo, but as a farewell show, it could have been a good riddance show.

Date: July 6, 2015 20:01

Well there was certainly plenty of slower stuff, Deadheads didn't need to be rocked out of their chairs every night. I thought the space sections were highly entertaining. If I had to chose between attending one of the 2 band's shows it would be a toss up. I've watched much of Chicago and thought it was a worthy presentation. Both bands played this summer without their greatest guitarists but people had fun. The Stones are from an era where they play the same show all the time, that's how they began, it is who they are. The Dead invented an entirely different experience, allowing those who follow a tour a steady flow of surprise and freshness. They succeeded in recreating a tiny taste all these years later. Certainly not as good as the old days since Garcia was an advanced pioneer who touched his fans with a vulnerability like no other rock.musician.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 20:02 by DoomandGloom.

Date: July 6, 2015 20:34

Certainly not as good as the old days since Garcia was an advanced pioneer who touched his fans with a vulnerability like no other rock.musician.[/quote]

imho.... I thought Trey fit in and sounded better than Warren Haynes their previous jerry replacement

Date: July 6, 2015 21:18

I don't disagree, Trey put in a superhuman effort and allowed the others to mimic what they once did for Jerry. Garcia was a bandleader and an explorer of world music inside his skills. Much like The Beatles. Trey mastered only one side of Jerry, the 80's one I suppose. Haynes? He's too proud to do the job properly. The Allman world is a tough one, so was The Dead's. No band had more frightening roadies as The Dead. Giant, acid fueled surfer boys who's point you down dark staircases for laughs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 21:20 by DoomandGloom.

Date: July 6, 2015 22:03

DoomandGloom
I don't disagree, Trey put in a superhuman effort and allowed the others to mimic what they once did for Jerry. Garcia was a bandleader and an explorer of world music inside his skills. Much like The Beatles. Trey mastered only one side of Jerry, the 80's one I suppose. Haynes? He's too proud to do the job properly. The Allman world is a tough one, so was The Dead's. No band had more frightening roadies as The Dead. Giant, acid fueled surfer boys who's point you down dark staircases for laughs.

well said DoomandGloom

Date: July 6, 2015 22:40

DoomandGloom

That is funny. Although I think the acid fueled days were long ago. I remember asking Jerry in the late 80's if he tripped anymore and he said very rarely and never while playing a show. I saw plenty of drugs consumed in my few times hanging around that band but never any psychedelics. But you got the feeling being around them that the psychedelics were somehow still in there systems after all those years. smoking smiley

I haven't heard any of the shows but have huge respect for Trey for learning so much of their material and doing his best to fill some awfully big shoes.

Date: July 6, 2015 23:40

reg thorpe
keefriffhard4life
ab
keefriffhard4life

or "Promised Land".."Big River" etc. Dead mainstays

i'm glad they sorta kept the covers to a minimum

Date: July 7, 2015 00:19

Naturalust
DoomandGloom

That is funny. Although I think the acid fueled days were long ago. I remember asking Jerry in the late 80's if he tripped anymore and he said very rarely and never while playing a show. I saw plenty of drugs consumed in my few times hanging around that band but never any psychedelics. But you got the feeling being around them that the psychedelics were somehow still in there systems after all those years. smoking smiley

I haven't heard any of the shows but have huge respect for Trey for learning so much of their material and doing his best to fill some awfully big shoes.
yes heavy drugs and booze for sure. I was always leary of their crew, they were determined to bust balls.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: July 7, 2015 01:29

Chicago #1 video:[kat.cr]

Chicago #2 video:[kat.cr]

Chicago #3 video:[kat.cr]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-07 13:47 by Mr.D.

Posted by: smashmark ()
Date: July 7, 2015 01:59

Chiming in....

having seen the grateful dead almost 200x and the stones close to 100X, there is no comparison to the current bands....

The dead that just played in Chicago is a shell of what the grateful dead was when jerry was alive and well, and its now lacking both heart and soul. Jerry was the driver, the focus, the heart, the soul, the meaning and the hub of the grateful dead. Whats left is a bunch of feuding and directionless musicians coming together to try and recreate and recapture something that died a long time ago. Trey was great, but its not the grateful dead. It's pure nostalgia. you can talk about the songs played, etc, but it doesn't matter because its NOT the grateful dead.

The stones, on the other hand, ARE the Rolling Stones, and these shows are some of the best Stones shows Ive ever seen. I don't understand how they can be, but they are. I went to SD, Pitt and Raleigh, all amazing in their own way and enough differences in songs and performances of warhorses to make each one incredible and unique in its own way. They are playing like a young band with something to prove. It's loud, its fun and its raw. and they are having fun.

Im already trying to figure out how to get myself to Buffalo....

Date: July 7, 2015 02:11

smashmark
Chiming in....

having seen the grateful dead almost 200x and the stones close to 100X, there is no comparison to the current bands....

The dead that just played in Chicago is a shell of what the grateful dead was when jerry was alive and well, and its now lacking both heart and soul. Jerry was the driver, the focus, the heart, the soul, the meaning and the hub of the grateful dead. Whats left is a bunch of feuding and directionless musicians coming together to try and recreate and recapture something that died a long time ago. Trey was great, but its not the grateful dead. It's pure nostalgia. you can talk about the songs played, etc, but it doesn't matter because its NOT the grateful dead.

The stones, on the other hand, ARE the Rolling Stones, and these shows are some of the best Stones shows Ive ever seen. I don't understand how they can be, but they are. I went to SD, Pitt and Raleigh, all amazing in their own way and enough differences in songs and performances of warhorses to make each one incredible and unique in its own way. They are playing like a young band with something to prove. It's loud, its fun and its raw. and they are having fun.

200 Dead shows! Then you must know that sometimes even with Jerry the Dead were a shell of what they were with Jerry. winking smiley

Posted by: smashmark ()
Date: July 7, 2015 02:13

that's why I said "alive AND well"

smiling smiley

Date: July 7, 2015 02:30

smashmark
Chiming in....

Very fine summation. I watched some of The Dead, enjoyed it wile I was watching it but it was just what you say.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 7, 2015 02:35

Just thought I'd chime in as well, the Dead are probably my second favorite band after the Stones. I thought the Dead put on some good shows that fans and many of my friends attended and enjoyed. At first I thought it would have been better with multiple guests filling in for Jerry spots, people like Ryan Adams, Neal Casal, Warren Haynes and others who have played some cool shows with Phil and Friends. But I think Trey did a great job and too many guests would have taken away from the rest of the remaining members of the Dead reuniting..

No point comparing the Dead and Stones other than many are fans of both of these bands.

Posted by: relms ()
Date: July 7, 2015 02:47

This is me NOT bashing (on a band I dont care for) out of respect for the many many people who do like this band. I have never understood the need some people have to bash on bands and make snide comments about them just because they dont care for them. If a band makes you happy then I am happy for you.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1622
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home