Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: OT: Additional Grateful Dead shows in CA
Posted by: eyesoftheworld ()
Date: April 11, 2015 03:47

Requested tickets and have had a hotel booked for a while, should be a lot of fun smiling smiley

Posted by: Rolling1 ()
Date: April 11, 2015 05:10

Ticket prices are the same as Chicago with the most expensive $199 But if you want a VIP package then those are the same range as the stones "insane" unless of course your rich then who cares if you spend 3k a night

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 11, 2015 05:32

At least they're making it semi-fair by having a lottery - up to 8 tix per show, per person in all price levels. It will all be done automated and CCs will be charged if you are chosen. Winners notified by April 19th.

No Ticketshafter, no mail order, no scalpers (almost).

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 11, 2015 06:07

They're cashing in on being the Grateful Dead one last time. They've done pretty well avoiding that in the last 20 years. All the other side projects have made it clear they aren't the Grateful Dead even if they could have passed off as such. I've got no problem with anything they've done. Especially the way they've run it. And I'm not even a fan. The only people that will ruin this experience will be fans if they can't get with the spirit of the show. Otherwise, might as well just sit back and enjoy if this ride is gonna be over by year's end. The band is classic.

Date: April 11, 2015 08:21

RollingFreak
They're cashing in on being the Grateful Dead one last time. They've done pretty well avoiding that in the last 20 years. All the other side projects have made it clear they aren't the Grateful Dead even if they could have passed off as such. I've got no problem with anything they've done. Especially the way they've run it. And I'm not even a fan. The only people that will ruin this experience will be fans if they can't get with the spirit of the show. Otherwise, might as well just sit back and enjoy if this ride is gonna be over by year's end. The band is classic.

This is an absolutely wonderful post.

Re: OT: The Grateful Dead Re-Unite
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 3, 2015 22:03

Just thought I'd bump this thread, I can only imagine Chicago isn't quite the same this weekend. Anybody hear and reports? Jerry's spirit show up or something?

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: July 3, 2015 23:39

I'm in Chicago right now. Going to the stadium in about 30 minutes. I'm going to all three shows. I guess Jerry smiled on Santa Clara last weekend with a double rainbow.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: July 4, 2015 00:43

Viola Lee Blues, Santa Clara. Pretty strange to have a rainbow appear during a severe drought - but there it was. It REALLY fired up the crowd.

I've got the pics - just can't figure out how to upload here.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: July 4, 2015 00:48

Jerry's still dead right?

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: July 4, 2015 00:53

Yep, still dead. Yes, it's not the Grateful Dead without him, but I still enjoyed the show. And so did the other 80,000 in attendance.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: July 4, 2015 00:53

forsure
crholmstrom
71Tele
RollingFreak
Regardless of what some may think about them, they are a successful and capable band. To deny that is just flat out ignorant. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but you can't discount them as musicians and as an important band in history.

I can discount one or two of them as musicians. I don't think anyone is denying that they were successful.

Mickey Hart springs to mind. A drummer who can't keep time.eye popping smiley

he was a drummer in the military marching band, I'm sure he can keep time just fine when he wants.
Weird comment, the dead were renowned for playing songs in odd and demanding time signatures, such as 7/4, 11/4, even 13/4 - and did those so smoothly you might not notice. I get that they're aa acquired taste, but they were true American originals who pioneered how music was delivered over that last 50 years

Date: July 4, 2015 03:09

the first night they played last week was a killer setlist

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 4, 2015 07:07

tatters
Thar's gold in them thar hills!

That made me literally laugh out loud.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 4, 2015 07:17

mr_dja
Note: I haven't read the article as I'm really not that interested. Although I guess I'm happy for their fans, the only thought that comes to my mind is "Why"? In my mind, No Jerry=No Dead. Glad I saw them while he was still alive. No interest at all now.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Does No Brian=No Stones or
Does No Bill= No Stones or
Does No Stu = No Stones or
Does No Bobby=No Stones?

Date: July 4, 2015 07:34

The Sicilian
mr_dja
Note: I haven't read the article as I'm really not that interested. Although I guess I'm happy for their fans, the only thought that comes to my mind is "Why"? In my mind, No Jerry=No Dead. Glad I saw them while he was still alive. No interest at all now.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Does No Brian=No Stones or
Does No Bill= No Stones or
Does No Stu = No Stones or
Does No Bobby=No Stones?

Like 'em or not this band created a sense of loving community and good will more than any other band in history. If they can bring back 1/2 of that, I'm sure these shows will be a magical experience for many.

Yeah the music will be different without Jerry but I have a feeling the shows will still be very special. smoking smiley

Posted by: MikefromATX ()
Date: July 4, 2015 07:44

Shows have been amazing. Trey is more than capable of filling Jerrys shoes

Keep in mind they picked Trey for his own style, tone and sound. The dead have always been about the adventure of taking risks and bringing new life to their songs. They could've very easily hired a Jerry clone, but they didn't. This is supposed to be a new experience.

They are very different than the stones. A song is never played the same way twice.

Date: July 4, 2015 08:00

mccparty
Viola Lee Blues, Santa Clara. Pretty strange to have a rainbow appear during a severe drought - but there it was. It REALLY fired up the crowd.

I've got the pics - just can't figure out how to upload here.

You've got to post them to a online photo hosting site like Photobucket and then link to them using the little icon with the mountains and the sun above the posting field.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 4, 2015 09:24

This was a nice idea, but the shows are nothing special. Without Garcia, there is no Dead.

Date: July 4, 2015 09:38

Again, not even a fan, but I've been listening to the bootlegs and streams and god damn if it doesn't sound EXACTLY like the Grateful Dead. Jerry is sorely missed, but Trey is doing an excellent job filling his shoes yet maintaining his own style. And whether its those songs or specifically these guys, it truly sounds like no time has passed. I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere about how "thats cause the songs were never good", but regardless I would venture to say that there's maybe never been another band this far into their career that sounds EXACTLY like how you'd expect them to.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 4, 2015 09:38

I'm not a Dead fan, period. I just watched the Bob Weir documentary on Netflix. I find the time they lived in, and the people they lived with (Neal Cassidy), to be fascinating. I even find Bob Weir and Jerry Garcia likeable. I think their fans are special. I just don't get the music. I hear what's being played, and I have no emotional connection to it. It's truly incredible they can fill up stadiums at this late date, without their 'star'. (And being that star probably killed him). I'm glad their fans got one more chance to gather, because it looks like it's really over. They are truly one of the stranger phenomena of the rock and roll world.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 4, 2015 10:05

I attended the show on the 27th at Levi's Stadium. got tix a few days before for $38 apiece including fees on Stubhub, face was $139 including fees. Nose bleed but i didnt care. And yes there was a rainbow. A fair number of hippies, both old and new, were in attendance. Doing their Dead hippie dancing.

The highlight for me were the long, extended jams as per their signature pieces. I almost wished I had smoked pot, which I have not done since the early 80s. And I have not been around as many people smoking pot since probably the 70s. There were long lines and it took a long time to get into the stadium.We missed Truckin which was the first song, or missed most of it. They started a little after 7 but dont know exactly when they ended, anybody know?

My wife who is a Stones fan kept bugging me for us to go as early as 10 pm and I kept resisting that, finally giving in at about 11:30.

Levi's Stadium is located in an out of the way residential area, a poor choice for the 49ers owners. It is new and soul-less with no history. And not even enough room between aisles despite the claim that it is state of the art.Taking the Cal Train from downtown San Fran, then transferring to light rail and on to the stadium took in all about an hour and a half or hour and 45.

And after we left the show, there was a long wait after we boarded the Cal Train. It must have been about 230 or 245 am when we arrived back in SF and then had to compete with a lot of other people in getting a taxi, finally getting back to our hotel at 3:10 am.

But the show was good, still sounding very Dead-like to me. And the light show was good. I only regret not staying til the very end.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 10:15 by timbernardis.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: July 4, 2015 13:31

Here are links to the Saturday and Sunday Grateful Dead reunion in Santa Clara...night one:

[www.wesendit.com]

Set One
Truckin'
Uncle John's Band
Alligator
(Phil Lesh lead vocals)
Cumberland Blues
Born Cross-Eyed
Cream Puff War
(Trey Anastasio lead vocals)
Viola Lee Blues
(Cannon's Jug Stompers cover)
Set Two
Cryptical Envelopment
(Phil Lesh lead vocals)
Dark Star
St. Stephen
(with William Tell bridge)
The Eleven
Turn On Your Love Light
(Bobby “Blue” Bland cover)
Drums
(with Mickey Hart on mbira)
What's Become of the Baby?
(Phil Lesh lead vocals)
Space
The Other One
Morning Dew
(Bonnie Dobson cover)
Encore:
Casey Jones
(Bruce Hornsby lead vocals)

Day two:
[www.wesendit.com]

Set 1
Feel Like a Stranger
Minglewood Blues
(Cannon's Jug Stompers cover)
Brown-Eyed Women
(Bruce Hornsby on lead vocals)
Loose Lucy
Loser
(Jerry Garcia song) (Bruce Hornsby on lead vocals)
Row Jimmy
Alabama Getaway
(lead vocal: Trey Anastasio)
Black Peter
Hell in a Bucket
Set 2
Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo
Wharf Rat
Eyes of the World
He's Gone
Drums
(with Sikiru Adepoju on talking drum)
Space
I Need a Miracle
Death Don't Have No Mercy
(Reverend Gary Davis cover)
Sugar Magnolia
Encore:
Brokedown Palace

Note: Phil Lesh, Bob Weir, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Trey Anastasio, Bruce Hornsby, and Jeff Chimenti.

Here's a torrent link to both shows in fantastic 720P proshot perfection:

[kat.cr]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 18:43 by Mr.D.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: July 4, 2015 18:30

I really enjoyed last night's show and I'm looking forward to tonight and tomorrow. Of course it's not the same without Jerry, and I saw a lot of shows when he was alive, but the group sounds really good and Trey was an excellent choice.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 4, 2015 19:23

Naturalust
mccparty
Three shows, this July....in Chicago. Why Chicago????

[blog.sfgate.com]

Per Trixie Garcia:

"It’s so significant that they’re doing this show in Chicago — a central location for all Deadheads to come gather.”

Probably where the promoter offered the most money too.

For me there is no Grateful Dead without Jerry, this is more like a convention of Deadheads. Although Phil Lesh has done some interesting projects, Bob Weir has done nothing of interest (to me) in the years since Jerry passed.

peace

I just noticed the thread and don't want to read 6 pages, but this is pretty much it. Although the poster technically says "Tribute to . . . "in small letters, it is being billed a GD in ads, etc. Also, I heard a radio or TV ad for the pay per view calling the GD the greatest rock and roll band of all time (I think someone mentioned that here before).

There is no Dead without Jerry that is so obvious. This is a GD tribute band. I don't begrudge them doing it, but that is what it is.

Weir did virtually nothing of interest to me before Jerry passed. From the beginning the Weir songs were mostly yawners. I actually saw them once with Pigpen that's how old I am (Gaelic Park, Bronx, 71).

OTOH, I would go to almost anything in Chicago, an absolutely great city to visit.

Date: July 4, 2015 21:00

Shows have been incredible, folks.

The magic is still there spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 6, 2015 03:41

If there's anyone interested to listen to their last concert, here's the live streaming: [mixlr.com]

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 6, 2015 05:05

Reports from my friends who love the Dead are that they are not remotely as exciting as the Stones shows....

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 6, 2015 05:08

Brstonesfan
Reports from my friends who love the Dead are that they are not remotely as exciting as the Stones shows....[/quote

I was talking with a friend of mine who's a huge Deadhead. He listened to all the previous 4 concerts, and tonight's - so far - it's one of the weakest, according to him. I tried to listen but it's not my piece of cake, though.

Date: July 6, 2015 07:37

band only played 5 shows total this year and i think they played more songs than the stones have played this entire tour

Date: July 6, 2015 07:48

keefriffhard4life
band only played 5 shows total this year and i think they played more songs than the stones have played this entire tour
They've played more songs than the Stones have since 1998.

Surprisingly, its worse IMO to watch these shows than it is to listen. When you listen, it kind of still sounds exactly like the Grateful Dead. There's a lack of excitement watching it as opposed to sitting there and imagining the experience.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home