Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Sweet Black Angel
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 15, 2015 22:15

pmk251
What am I missing here? The use of the word is not from Jagger's perspective. It's from the perspective of segments of American society that includes the legal system...they are niggers and they are getting killed. It's true today. Look at Ferguson. The irony of the Obama presidency is that it has not been a step forward for racial equality, but a step backward. The country has regressed on this and other issues.

Exactly, you say it better than I did, but this is precisely what I meant.

Date: January 15, 2015 22:20

GasLightStreet
kleermaker
Too bad they didn't use the Demo version, where Bill and Taylor are also audible. The official album version sounds a bit ... thin, though the song is beautiful.
I bet the live version from the 1972 tour would sound great in better audio quality.

btw: nothing wrong with the ten little niggers rhyme. Those who are verbally so political correct better protest against the way black people are treated by the largely white police force and against racist BEHAVIOUR.

That's not the demo version, that's the LP version before it had vocals.

Absolutely not! Compare it to the LP version here and notice the differences:

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 16, 2015 09:39

treaclefingers

:E

You've got a bit of spinach in your teeth sssoul.

That's not spinach, that's an emerald chip! [<-- Obscure Stones Reference # 783]

Date: January 16, 2015 11:02

kleermaker
GasLightStreet
kleermaker
Too bad they didn't use the Demo version, where Bill and Taylor are also audible. The official album version sounds a bit ... thin, though the song is beautiful.
I bet the live version from the 1972 tour would sound great in better audio quality.

btw: nothing wrong with the ten little niggers rhyme. Those who are verbally so political correct better protest against the way black people are treated by the largely white police force and against racist BEHAVIOUR.

Same version, but a different mix. Taylor's guitar was muted on the first part of the song, and Bill's bass is lower in the mix on the final studio version.

But if you listen to what Taylor plays in the ending, you'll find that it is exactly the same as on the demo version.

Date: January 16, 2015 11:03

with sssoul
treaclefingers

That's not spinach, that's an emerald chip! [<-- Obscure Stones Reference # 783]

Let me know if you wanna remove it, if it looks too much like blood (like Mick did) winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2015 17:20

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
GasLightStreet
kleermaker

Same version, but a different mix. Taylor's guitar was muted on the first part of the song, and Bill's bass is lower in the mix on the final studio version.

But if you listen to what Taylor plays in the ending, you'll find that it is exactly the same as on the demo version.

The title says demo version but it's not a demo, it's a working full mix of the LP version that's not finished. The percussion and acoustic guitar are exactly the same as the LP version. Hence it's not a "demo" but a full mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-16 17:21 by GasLightStreet.

Date: January 16, 2015 17:31

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
GasLightStreet
kleermaker

The title says demo version but it's not a demo, it's a working full mix of the LP version that's not finished. The percussion and acoustic guitar are exactly the same as the LP version. Hence it's not a "demo" but a full mix.

After having listened to both I have to disagree. Sorry.

Date: January 16, 2015 17:39

OK. Not sure how you come to that conclusion that it's not the master recording but... it is. It just doesn't sound like the finished version. It's clearly the same version. Listen to the main acoustic guitar.

Date: January 16, 2015 17:44

GasLightStreet
OK. Not sure how you come to that conclusion that it's not the master recording but... it is. It just doesn't sound like the finished version. It's clearly the same version. Listen to the main acoustic guitar.

And listen to Taylor's acoustic toward the ending. Same take.

Date: January 16, 2015 17:47

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Could be the same take, but clearly and certainly different mixing. Anyway, I prefer the non official mixing.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 16, 2015 17:51

I would say that it only benefits the song that Wyman's part was muted/buried in the mix. His peformance on this take, is very bad. Tons of bum-notes and sometimes his timing is also off.

Date: January 16, 2015 17:53

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Could be the same take, but clearly and certainly different mixing. Anyway, I prefer the non official mixing.

It's no different than what's on Static In The Attic, those versions of Emotional Rescue, No Use In Crying and so on - all LP versions in different stages of work.

What's funny about this version of SBA is the percussion is from the head and it works better than the LP mix.

Date: January 16, 2015 21:52

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

I wonder why? smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 17, 2015 21:45

with sssoul
treaclefingers

well whatever you do, don't replace it with a ruby, or it'll look like blood.

a diamond might be an option. winking smiley

Date: January 18, 2015 01:15

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

I wonder why? smiling smiley

Keep on wondering, it keeps life interesting!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 18, 2015 03:29

pmk251
What am I missing here? The use of the word is not from Jagger's perspective. It's from the perspective of segments of American society that includes the legal system...they are niggers and they are getting killed. It's true today. Look at Ferguson. The irony of the Obama presidency is that it has not been a step forward for racial equality, but a step backward. The country has regressed on this and other issues.

Nice post. Yes, so much of what you say is on the mark. Systemic racism is part of America, which will fight for a long long time to try to remove the illness from our culture and society. A long fight that needs art like SBA to question and make people feel uncomfortable because it is still present in society.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 14:20

Come On
Best sounding acoustic guitar on Vinyl

it really is.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 30, 2015 14:54

Forgive me if this has been already mentioned. This song was written for apolitical prisoner Angela Davis. She was a organizer for the Black Panthers. A radical black political group that was active in the early 70's. She was sort of iconic with the big Afro and raised fist. Greatly admired by Mick and Keith. I remember Keith saying they sent her flowers when she was released.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 30, 2015 16:12

PhillyFAN
Forgive me if this has been already mentioned. This song was written for apolitical prisoner Angela Davis. She was a organizer for the Black Panthers. A radical black political group that was active in the early 70's. She was sort of iconic with the big Afro and raised fist. Greatly admired by Mick and Keith. I remember Keith saying they sent her flowers when she was released.

yes and shortly thereafter Mick found inspiration to write the lyrics to Fingerprint File.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 9, 2015 23:46

David Horowitz relates meeting with Black Panther leader Huey Newton: "Huey told me about a project he had dreamed up to produce PORGY AND BESS as a musical set in contemporary Harlem, starring Stevie Wonder and Mick Jagger...Huey even showed me the treatment he had prepared in Braille for Stevie Wonder, while complaining that the people around the singer had bad mouthed him and killed the deal." From Horowitz's book Hating Whitey and Other Progressive Causes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-10 04:03 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 10, 2015 09:20

Taylor is on this, let's fix the credits folks!

Ps, isn't this the song where the basic track was recorded while sitting in a circle jamming?

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: August 10, 2015 16:00

Love this one from my favorite album….at their peak, for sure.

Sweet Black Angel
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 14, 2019 01:54

Re: Sweet Black Angel
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 14, 2019 03:44

Nice read. SBA is one of my fave Stones tunes. I once had the poster of Huey Newton along with a number of other politically oriented posters hanging on the wall of my barracks room back when I was on active duty during the Vietnam War era. Such a different time, with books like Eldridge Cleaver's "Soul On Ice", "The Autobiography of Malcolm X", Abbie Hoffman's "Steal This Book" and assorted books and magazines part of the counterculture scene back then. I still have some of the posters stored away as they are collector pieces now. So, if you are of a certain vintage and have some of that 1960s/early 1970s counterculture stuff tucked away, you may have something valuable on your hands.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: February 14, 2019 04:32

Very nice read. Giving me some flashbacks!! Liked this song so much for various reasons when it came out-still do & as keith said still relevant today. Used to have alot of Blank Panther newspapers- they would be giving them out in NYC. Had a ton of other things too. But lost most everything. Still have a rolling stone with Brian on the cover when he died-not for sale!!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 14, 2019 04:57

I've always loved everything about this track, though I don't think I was ever aware of the inspiration/background of it - thanks for the link,

To dmay, never knew your history of being on active duty in the military during the Vietnam War era- much respect to you. My uncle also served around '66-'68.

I don't have any 1960s/early 1970s counterculture stuff, but I do have a couple of these bracelets stashed away that we school kids used to wear in the early-mid '70's:

POW bracelet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 05:19 by Hairball.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 15, 2019 00:03

Indeed a very nice read.............

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: February 15, 2019 01:13

Those lyrics and Mick's delivery would not be acceptable today (cultural appropriation, bad word, etc.). I guess it's good that someone wrote an article explaining who and what it's about, so contemporary listeners have some context. That was such a different time.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 16, 2019 00:52

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-16 00:53 by Glam Descendant.

Date: February 20, 2019 23:18

“This one started as an island-lilt sort of thing when we were in Jamaica,” Richards told Harper’s. “After a while the words ‘Sweet Black Angel’ crept into it, and I realized Mick was writing about Angela Davis, the famous activist who was under arrest at the time.”

New Orleans musician Richard “Didymus” Washington played the sunny marimba lines that bring optimism to the “Sweet Black Angel” outro. On the original “Exile” inner sleeve Washington, introduced to The Stones by Dr. John, was credited as “Amyl Nitrate.”

[www.tuscaloosanews.com]

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home