Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No Solo Material
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 30, 2005 00:45

I recall Jagger being asked during the Steel Wheel's press conference if they would play any of their solo songs on the tour. He replied, "More rocking, more hard, more Steel Wheels, no solo material." Plenty of top notch songs that were hits or at least minor hits are ignored. Everyone bitches about the warhorses, but what if the Stones would inlcude - Shouldn't Take It So Hard, Just Another Night, Party Doll, Eileen, Evening Gown, Don't Tear Me Up, Lucky in Love, etc. These songs could have been Rolling Stones if not for the silly solo albums.

Re: No Solo Material
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 30, 2005 00:50

...but they are not Rolling Stones songs....coulda/woulda/shoulda don't count.

Date: June 30, 2005 00:53

True, but they were written and performed by members of the Rolling Stones. The Eagles have not been so petty on their recent tours. The solo material from the various members, especially Walsh, have added to their shows.

Date: June 30, 2005 00:55

well, you're assuming pettiness here. i don't look at it that way. there's "band property" and there's everything else. i think it works fine the way they do it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2005 00:59

Yeah! ...Now wouldn't it be a riot to watch 'em perform Let's Work!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: June 30, 2005 01:01

I can hardly imagine silly pop shit like party doll, lucky in love or just another night being performed by the stones. And if I try, it sucks!

So I'm fine too with more than 400 Stones songs, that's enough.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: June 30, 2005 02:50

then again, a wired all night or a take it so hard or an I can feel the fire would be a joy to people that are really familiar with and have a true appreciation of the music created by the individuals that comprise the rolling stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-30 02:51 by martingo.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 30, 2005 09:43

I wouldn't call the soloalbums "silly". You might bereferring to the idea of soloalbums as silly. But even that is not silly IMO. In a very healthy way these guys got much out of their system and cleared air that needed to be cleared. There are countless tunes that I think would make great Stonescuts. The two Keith albums and "Spirit" by Jagger, let alone every Ron album. But even if they wanted to, there might be legal issues. I mean, is Jagger still legally banned from beinb on stage during Keith's songs?

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: June 30, 2005 11:16

I think of the referred songs as silly, not of solo albums.
Especially these three songs are some of the worst solo efforts. Of course their are gems, especially on keith's.

What I heard from yesterdays listening party there will be no room for solo songs, because there are about 10 really great new songs waiting to be played live.

Beside from that I'm sure there never will be any solo song played on a stones stage.

So what?

Date: June 30, 2005 12:00

Faces did the group members' solo songs live - and that worked!

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: June 30, 2005 12:23

They should play "You don't move me". Independent of counting questions.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: June 30, 2005 12:36

And you know who YDMM is supposed to be about?

No. No solo-material at a Stones show. First of all I can't see the point when they got so much Stones-songs to choose from.

And I think their solo stuff is really sensetive for all of them. Best to avoid.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 30, 2005 12:45

micawber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think of the referred songs as silly, not of
> solo albums.
> Especially these three songs are some of the worst
> solo efforts. Of course their are gems, especially
> on keith's.
>
> What I heard from yesterdays listening party there
> will be no room for solo songs, because there are
> about 10 really great new songs waiting to be
> played live.
>
> Beside from that I'm sure there never will be any
> solo song played on a stones stage.
>
> So what?

they played Ronnie's "Sure the one you need" twice in 1975

But they shouldnt play solo material at a Stones gig. Not when half their back catalogue is still screaming to be played live either for the first time or to be dusted off after being on the shelf for decades.

The Eagles thing isnt really a great comparison because those solo songs would be well known to most people anyway. Stones solo albums dont sell that well - even to Stones fans. They're more likely to want long-lost Stones songs than solo material.

And the idea of Keith singing "you dont move me" at a Stones show is preposterous, considering the subject of his venom happens to be his lead singer

Date: June 30, 2005 12:49

<And you know who YDMM is supposed to be about?>

I think the lyrics' contents is quite similar to One Hit (To The Body).

<they played Ronnie's "Sure the one you need" twice in 1975>

Maybe they see it differently when it is a Jagger/Richards tune?

Date: June 30, 2005 13:04

The single biggest failure of the Rolling Stones in the past 20 years has been the lack of "hit" songs. I'm probably in the minority, but I don't feel it is because of the lack of quality songs. They just seemed to hold quality material for the solo albums. I enjoy the solo albums, but the best of those songs could have been classic Stone songs, if displayed in the proper light.

Date: June 30, 2005 13:14

Mixed Emotions was a minor hit
Love Is Strong was a minor hit
Anybody Seen My Baby was a flop - why? IMO, it had the best sales potential...

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 30, 2005 13:19

I dont. I think ASMB was a very weak single compared with Saint of Me or potential others from that album.

Love is Strong was a strong song (no pun intended) recorded but not so good live. Very stonesy but not a complete carbon copy of SMU/BS. Mixed Emotions was good too with a different sounding chorus to the verses, though I prefer rock and a Hard Place (esp live).

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: June 30, 2005 13:29

> And you know who YDMM is supposed to be about?

you know what "you already crapped out twice" refers to?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 30, 2005 13:37

Yeah. Mick's first two unsuccessful solo albums

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: June 30, 2005 16:13

Many bands play or did play solo songs from members of their group (Grateful Dead, Allman Bros., Faces, Springsteen) . However like someone mentioned above the Stones have too many of their own songs to bother with playing solo songs. It would never happen anyway because many of their solo albums were made when there was a lot of tension in the band. But it would be cool to hear them try Evening Gown.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: June 30, 2005 17:31

It is a shame that all of those songs didnt make up the Stones albums that they should have been. Many very good songs from the solo efforts (some REALLY bad ones also) that even though they are good, there is always a sense that something is missing when you listen to them, like Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie and Bill(when he was around).

They, as a band lost precious time in that period and I think they really regret it now, as do I.

Milo, NYC
Terrifying

Date: June 30, 2005 17:40

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Faces did the group members' solo songs live - and
> that worked!

That's a little different - inasmuch as most of the Rod solo songs were actually performed by most/all of the Faces members on the original recordings. Had the Stones been Jagger's "backing band" on, say, WS (a preposterous notion, of course)...the latitude may have been given to play some of these as a band.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 1, 2005 14:16

I think it would be a great and fresh idea to give Ronnie a song of his own, like Keith does. 30 years in a band and coping with MIck and Keith - a man needs recognition! Perhaps "The Sure One You Need" or "Seven Days".

- Doxa

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 1, 2005 16:42

i absolutely agree with the idea, Doxa: i'd love a Ronnie LV Turn. Sure the One You Need is a Keith number, though, and has always been sung by Keith. (i think! it *was* Keith who sang it in Kansas City and Milwaukee in 75, wasn't it?? i've never heard either of those renditions.).

Ronnie's cover of Seven Days is indeed mighty fine; another cover i'd love to witness at a Stones concert is Am I Groovin You, with Ronnie singin lead and the Glimmer Twins doing back-up (as on IGMOATD). it would make a kickass shock-them-show-them opener, if you ask me.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-01 16:44 by with sssoul.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home