Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: 1,2,3,4 heard at the beginning of Sway adds to its charm
Date: August 5, 2021 11:58

Does he count "4" at all? It would destroy the rhythm, though smiling smiley Will have to re-listen.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 5, 2021 12:01

You can hear the 4, atleast, on the 2009 mix.

Date: August 5, 2021 12:04

MingSubu

OK, but what would be the 4's function, the way the opening riff starts? smiling smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 5, 2021 12:12

DandelionPowderman
MingSubu

OK, but what would be the 4's function, the way the opening riff starts? smiling smiley

No clue. Just answering if he said the 4.

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: August 5, 2021 12:18

He clearly says 4. What would be it’s function? Do you really think 1970 Jagger could answer that?

Date: August 5, 2021 12:25

keefgotsoul
He clearly says 4. What would be it’s function? Do you really think 1970 Jagger could answer that?

Hehe, probably not smiling smiley

For a count-in the 4 is worthless.

Keith's scream ("Yeah!") that ends Brown Sugar is a good one, too thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 12:25 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 5, 2021 12:39

The tempo of Sway is so slow with 72bpm that the 'four' surely helps to get them all together on the first beat.
Usually you only don't say four if there is a fill in before the first beat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 12:41 by StonedRambler.

Date: August 5, 2021 12:49

StonedRambler
The tempo of Sway is so slow with 72bpm that the 'four' surely helps to get them all together on the first beat.

Indeed. That's why 1, 2, 3 would be better here, imo. The first chord would be "the 4".

Date: August 5, 2021 12:53

DandelionPowderman
StonedRambler

Indeed. That's why 1, 2, 3 would be better here, imo. The first chord would be "the 4".
Why? There is no fill in at the beginning of Sway. The whole band starts together on 1 and the into is exactly two bars long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 12:53 by StonedRambler.

Date: August 5, 2021 13:00

StonedRambler
DandelionPowderman
StonedRambler

Why? There is no fill in at the beginning of Sway. The whole band starts together on 1 and the into is exactly two bars long.

I (almost) hear a 5 before the first chord appears. There is a slight wait before the first chord. It's not on the beat. Hence, 1,2,3 and the chord right on the 4th would have suited me better, if I should have counted in.

But I guess we hear it differently smiling smiley

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:09

Such a great song.

I love Charlie's drumming, it almost is too slow at times but it works perfectly with the song.

Almost like it could fall apart at any stage but doesn't!

Date: August 5, 2021 13:14

DandelionPowderman
StonedRambler
DandelionPowderman
StonedRambler

I (almost) hear a 5 before the first chord appears. There is a slight wait before the first chord. It's not on the beat. Hence, 1,2,3 and the chord right on the 4th would have suited me better, if I should have counted in.

Ah, I understand how you hear it. Kinda the first three notes as a prelude. But then you have one and a half bars until the verse starts which is a bit odd. I think two whole bars with the first beat on the '1' is how they thought of it. Hence the counting. That they're not exactly tight on the first beat. Well, I guess that's because they are the Rolling Stones. On the live versions like Fonda it starts exactly on the one though. And they also repeat the into and the second repetition is also exactly on the one.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:25

....me fave number is 5 .... pity Jaggs didnt quite make it

ROCKMAN

Date: August 5, 2021 13:46

StonedRambler
DandelionPowderman
StonedRambler
DandelionPowderman
StonedRambler

Ah, I understand how you hear it. Kinda the first three notes as a prelude. But then you have one and a half bars until the verse starts which is a bit odd. I think two whole bars with the first beat on the '1' is how they thought of it. Hence the counting. That they're not exactly tight on the first beat. Well, I guess that's because they are the Rolling Stones. On the live versions like Fonda it starts exactly on the one though. And they also repeat the into and the second repetition is also exactly on the one.

Good points!

<That they're not exactly tight on the first beat. Well, I guess that's because they are the Rolling Stones>

Indeed! grinning smiley

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 5, 2021 13:59

It's 4/4 time. They come in after the four in the count in but a little earlier than the first beat of the first bar.

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 5, 2021 18:57

The count-in is correct, you can test it on the second chorus:

Its just that demon life has got(1) me in(2) it's sway(3)...4.... There must be ways...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 22:30 by z.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 5, 2021 19:50

Relatedly, one thing I love about 25x5’s peek at the Steel Wheels sessions is how Keith counts in “Mixed Emotions.” Kind of hard to tell from the record, where it starts seemingly midway through Charlie’s pickup notes.

Date: August 5, 2021 20:18

On "Can't you hear me knocking" such a1,2,3,4 countdown would be unthinkable.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 6, 2021 01:03

terraplane
It's 4/4 time. They come in after the four in the count in but a little earlier than the first beat of the first bar.

That sounds right to me.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 6, 2021 02:20

I hear that is 1234 1.....and 1 when the sing starts

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 6, 2021 07:17

mattstones
Such a great song.

I love Charlie's drumming, it almost is too slow at times but it works perfectly with the song.

Almost like it could fall apart at any stage but doesn't!

Watts is incredible on this song. Knocking as well. Both slower tempos but he goes into those 16th notes and peps them up.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 6, 2021 07:50

DandelionPowderman
keefgotsoul

I prefer his "Irieee" on Cherry oh Baby!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 6, 2021 07:51

KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman
keefgotsoul

I prefer his "Irieee" on Cherry oh Baby!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 6, 2021 07:58

It's simply a count-in. That's all it is. What's not heard is why it's that way.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 6, 2021 10:53

The rhythm guitar sound is just fabulous. Funnily, as the fantastic rhythm guitar sound on Stop Breaking Down it's both Jagger.

Mathijs

Date: August 6, 2021 13:05

Jagger did a great job on "Fingerprint File" as well. It took me 30 @#$%& years to realise that Jagger played the rhythm guitar anyway.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 7, 2021 01:17

GasLightStreet
It's simply a count-in. That's all it is. What's not heard is why it's that way.

Coming From the amateur end of garage and bar bands, someone counts in like this when the song starts with everyone together, the entire band is coming in on a count like that. It’s a 4/4 count but not a tempo count. A count in like at the start of sway is like the key in the ignition, then all gets turned on at once.

I always loved how the ramones OneTooFreeFour counts between tunes had zero to do with tempo EVER! grinning smiley

Anyways, that’s been my experience, but like I said, amateur hour.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 7, 2021 05:12

Paddy
GasLightStreet

Coming From the amateur end of garage and bar bands, someone counts in like this when the song starts with everyone together, the entire band is coming in on a count like that. It’s a 4/4 count but not a tempo count. A count in like at the start of sway is like the key in the ignition, then all gets turned on at once.

I always loved how the ramones OneTooFreeFour counts between tunes had zero to do with tempo EVER! grinning smiley

Anyways, that’s been my experience, but like I said, amateur hour.

Listen to how Mick draws out the one - he gives the lag, which is why it sounds like it starts on a one... or, LOL, in this case, a five.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home