Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: Track Talk: Sway
Posted by: eyesoftheworld ()
Date: June 12, 2015 08:30

Sway is probably my favorite Stones song for very personal reasons.
It's so nice and I hope I get a chance to hear them play it againspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 12, 2015 09:09

Eight pages, and still no one talks about how the instruments in this track
create a swampy humid prehistoric landscape wherein a massive sauropod,
hearing something compelling,
raises its head ...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 09:10

with sssoul
Eight pages, and still no one talks about how the instruments in this track
create a swampy humid prehistoric landscape wherein a massive sauropod,
hearing something compelling,
raises its head ...

apparently it's an ode to jimi hindrix.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 12, 2015 11:08

Turner68

That's a bit of an oversimplification, but yes I believe a song recorded around October 15th has a pretty high probability of referencing Hendrix and Joplin's deaths which happened on Set. 18 and Oct. 4. of that year. Nothing like a couple fellow rock star friends dying tragically of their demons to destroy your notion of circular time and knock you down.

Strangely, this is apparently the tune which caused Keith to comment on Mick's inability to get the feel of an electric guitar and that he usually turns him down. I think the Mick's do a fine job on this one.

peace

Date: June 12, 2015 11:19

Naturalust
Turner68

That's a bit of an oversimplification, but yes I believe a song recorded around October 15th has a pretty high probability of referencing Hendrix and Joplin's deaths which happened on Set. 18 and Oct. 4. of that year. Nothing like a couple fellow rock star friends dying tragically of their demons to destroy your notion of circular time and knock you down.

Strangely, this is apparently the tune which caused Keith to comment on Mick's inability to get the feel of an electric guitar and that he usually turns him down. I think the Mick's do a fine job on this one.

peace

That was a recent comment, and more of a jab at the journalist (who followed up when Keith wouldn't elaborate) than directed at Mick, imo smiling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 12, 2015 11:35

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
Turner68

peace

That was a recent comment, and more of a jab at the journalist (who followed up when Keith wouldn't elaborate) than directed at Mick, imo smiling smiley

Here's the 2002 quote. Not quite sure how that could be a jab at the journalist? Pretty detailed and specifically about Micks electric guitar playing, no?

"(On Sway Mick plays electric guitar). Yeah... Well, like I say, acoustically he's got a nice touch. It doesn't translate electrically. It's not his thing. It's not everybody's cup of tea... I'd never let him play electric if I could help it. He's like Bob Dylan, same thing. They thrash away at it. No sense of electric at all. Usually I turn him down."

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-12 11:36 by Naturalust.

Date: June 12, 2015 11:41

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
Turner68

peace

Here's the 2002 quote. Not quite sure how that could be a jab at the journalist? Pretty detailed and specifically about Micks electric guitar playing, no?

"(On Sway Mick plays electric guitar). Yeah... Well, like I say, acoustically he's got a nice touch. It doesn't translate electrically. It's not his thing. It's not everybody's cup of tea... I'd never let him play electric if I could help it. He's like Bob Dylan, same thing. They thrash away at it. No sense of electric at all. Usually I turn him down."

peace

Yes, exactly. He was asked about Mick's abilities first, and didn't praise him. Then, he gets irritated because the journo followed up with Sway as an example of the opposite - hence «like I said...».

Not defending this rather weird comment, but this was most likely what happened here.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 12, 2015 11:46

It's ironic, really, given that every time they've done Sway live, with Keith doing Jagger's rhythm part, they've completely butchered the feel of the song.

Date: June 12, 2015 11:48

Stoneburst
It's ironic, really, given that every time they've done Sway live, with Keith doing Jagger's rhythm part, they've completely butchered the feel of the song.

He never did Jagger's part, that's part of the problem. Even with Taylor, none of the three guitarists did anyone's part. It was chaos. It was even more chaotic on the rehearsal takes in Norway.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 12, 2015 11:54

Stoneburst

In my humble opinion the feel of the song suffered the most from Mick singing a different melody.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 12, 2015 11:57

DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst

He never did Jagger's part, that's part of the problem. Even with Taylor, none of the three guitarists did anyone's part. It was chaos. It was even more chaotic on the rehearsal takes in Norway.

That's true, yes - my point was more that Keith's bit on that song is the closest to what Jagger does on the record, and it is kind of ironic for Keith to implicitly trash MJ's playing like that then proceed to balls it up live. Granted, it wasn't totally his fault. For me, the only non-forgettable Sway they've ever done live is Chicago in 2013, and that's just because Taylor does a great solo at the end.

Date: June 12, 2015 12:01

The one time (to the best of my knowledge) that they've done Stop Breaking Down live is also, in my view, a great example of a live performance that would have been much better had Jagger played guitar on it:

Date: June 12, 2015 12:02

Stoneburst
The one time (to the best of my knowledge) that they've done Stop Breaking Down live is also, in my view, a great example of a live performance that would have been much better had Jagger played guitar on it:

I think what they tried (but failed) to do here was to give a nod to Robert Johnson's version.

Charlie didn't quite grasp it in the beginning, though grinning smiley

Yep, it's the only time they did it.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 12, 2015 13:06

RobberBride
One word: EPIC
In every way.

I can only underline that. thumbs up

On the lyrics, and just for historical correctness, mustn't it read

Destroyed your notion of circular time ?

That's what Mick sings, I guess, and also goes smoothly with the melody.

Date: June 12, 2015 13:17

marcovandereijk
Stoneburst

In my humble opinion the feel of the song suffered the most from Mick singing a different melody.

True, but he fixed that for the 2013-versions. I was impressed by his improvement.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 12, 2015 13:48

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst

That's true, yes - my point was more that Keith's bit on that song is the closest to what Jagger does on the record, and it is kind of ironic for Keith to implicitly trash MJ's playing like that then proceed to balls it up live. Granted, it wasn't totally his fault. For me, the only non-forgettable Sway they've ever done live is Chicago in 2013, and that's just because Taylor does a great solo at the end.

Agreed. The tempo and the groove of the song were totally wrong in 2013, but the solo at the end (Wood doing the first one) made that up partially:

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 15, 2015 16:46

I believe SWAY hasn't been played live very often. Could one of the Stones scholars round here put together which dates exactly?

And, I wonder if Mick in performing this live ever came even close to the devotion and passion and feel - hard for me to describe it in words - of the SF studio version?

Finally, I've been looking for covers of this number on the internet, where the vocals would come up close to the original. That was in vain so far. Are there any outstanding covers around in youtube or the like?

At gunpoint, would you say…
Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: July 5, 2021 19:46

…that SWAY is their best song?

Re: At gunpoint, would you say…
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 5, 2021 19:51

I would say don’t use clickbait

Re: At gunpoint, would you say…
Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: July 5, 2021 20:14

No sorry. Not even close. But its all so objective. Depends what you want from a I suppose.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: July 5, 2021 21:51

Charlie’s finest hour (or one of them)

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 6, 2021 03:47

Excellent moody piece. Grunge meets technical prowess. A masterpiece that should be considered a “deep cut” by the untrained masses.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 6, 2021 04:05

dead.flowers
I believe SWAY hasn't been played live very often. Could one of the Stones scholars round here put together which dates exactly?

And, I wonder if Mick in performing this live ever came even close to the devotion and passion and feel - hard for me to describe it in words - of the SF studio version?

Finally, I've been looking for covers of this number on the internet, where the vocals would come up close to the original. That was in vain so far. Are there any outstanding covers around in youtube or the like?

According to the wonderful setlist.fm:
[www.setlist.fm]
25 (19 of which were in 2006) times at least. Tied for 128th most popular live song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-06 04:09 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: July 6, 2021 04:36

One of my favorite tracks on an album that when I was in high school blew my mind start to finish.

If giving Mick the guitar lead is what holds it back from being played live, then give Mick the fukkin lead.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 6, 2021 06:52

kleermaker
Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst

Agreed. The tempo and the groove of the song were totally wrong in 2013, but the solo at the end (Wood doing the first one) made that up partially:

This song, just like She's So Cold and Heartbreaker, should've never been played live.

Ever.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: July 6, 2021 09:19

...I didn’t remember Mick T were soloing on this song at this time.....Great souvenir..!

Date: July 6, 2021 11:44

GasLightStreet

....... and Heartbreaker, should've never been played live.

Ever.

There's a splendid version played in Brussels '73. Give it a listen. thumbs up

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 6, 2021 12:46

Sway on SF live sounds excellent to these uneducated ears of mine!

C

Date: July 6, 2021 13:03

liddas
Sway on SF live sounds excellent to these uneducated ears of mine!

C

Keep it like that winking smiley

1,2,3,4 heard at the beginning of Sway adds to its charm
Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: August 5, 2021 11:55

It wouldn’t be the same without it in my opinion. It’s absolutely essential to what I consider one of their best songs. It’s a quick preview of the raw & ragged glory you’re about to hear. Anyone else appreciate the count in to Sway?

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home