Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: What would be your wishes for a new stones album?
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 7, 2015 03:24

who better than the Rolling Stones to do covers?.....on new material..I agree jagger needs to tighten up the lyrics...he's set a very high bar....

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 7, 2015 03:34

What would I like to hear from the Stones as they are: Covers of blues tunes; some Motown or Memphis soul songs; some folk covers like "Long Black Veil" they did on the album by the Chieftans; some real American country songs from the glory days (Hank Williams, George Jones); some obscure Chuck, as in Mister Berry; some new songs that are not geared to kids who know fluckin' nothing about real music or the history of rock'n'roll.

Hell, if Dylan can be so bold is to put out an album of cover songs related to Sinatra, the Stones should be so bold. They used to set the style for others musically. They should get back to doing the same. WTF do they have to lose.

As for the debate regarding vinyl, basically, vinyl's got a deeper groove and warmer sound, especially if you play it through a tube powered hi-fi. Solid state amplifiers/hi-fi's don't do the same thing. So, if you're gonna play vinyl, find yourself a tube powered amplifier/hi-fi/hi-fi console at an antique shop and bring it home. Your ears when you drop the needle into teh groove will tell you all you need to know.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 7, 2015 05:31

I will take those 2002 ABCKO SACD remasters over any vinyl issue of the Stones from the 60s. Even Keith said he heard things he'd forgotten about when he heard the SACDs.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: January 7, 2015 17:32

stonehearted
<<Somewhere I read a Interview where Mick said that they want record new stuff inthe studio, but he don't thinks it will be a complete album.>>

I haven't read the interview you're referring to, but sounds like he's hinting at the bonus disc of the eventual Sticky Fingers deluxe reissue, which would satisfy the wishes of many in this thread who want some level of contribution from Taylor and Wyman.

I read it in a magazine of 'ÖSTERREICH' which they handed out last year in vienna, when we waited to get in the stadium.
I found it again today, so here's the part of the interview translated into english:

''
ÖSTERREICH:
What are your plans for the stones after the tour? Maybe a new CD?

JAGGER:
Someday we will record again, but I don't belive it becomes a complete studio-album. We want to do something but I don't know what it will be.''

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 7, 2015 17:54

24FPS
I will take those 2002 ABCKO SACD remasters over any vinyl issue of the Stones from the 60s. Even Keith said he heard things he'd forgotten about when he heard the SACDs.

They are indeed quite good. I think we've discussed this before but it makes me wonder if there is any further improvement we might get from blu ray audio.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: January 7, 2015 18:23

I think they should do an album of Beatles songs.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 7, 2015 18:36

They need to cover this...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 7, 2015 18:45

MrThompsonWooft
I think they should do an album of Beatles songs.

Titled, "All You Need Is Stones"

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 7, 2015 19:15

Lock Mick and Keith up in the kitchen and don't let them out until they have got at least 5 songs they are both happy about. If they come out alive and well, lock the entire band up in a faraway place in the south of France or an island in the Pacific, for at least 6 months and force them to play those 5 songs plus anything else that comes up for hours on end, day after day. Record everything. After 6 months, call Jimmy Miller and create their best album ever ouf of all the recorded material. Add overdubs if necessary.
The only thing still missing in this recipe is how to make them listen to the "right music" during the process, to get influenced the right way. That's the tricky part.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 7, 2015 19:28

That's not going to happen, Jimmy Miller died 20 years ago.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 7, 2015 19:32

Koen

Ah...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 7, 2015 19:36

Anything they (the 4 of them) will be proud to release.

C

Date: January 7, 2015 19:56

matxil
Lock Mick and Keith up in the kitchen and don't let them out until they have got at least 5 songs they are both happy about. If they come out alive and well, lock the entire band up in a faraway place in the south of France or an island in the Pacific, for at least 6 months and force them to play those 5 songs plus anything else that comes up for hours on end, day after day. Record everything. After 6 months, call Jimmy Miller and create their best album ever ouf of all the recorded material. Add overdubs if necessary.
The only thing still missing in this recipe is how to make them listen to the "right music" during the process, to get influenced the right way. That's the tricky part.

Great Idea thumbs up
Give Keef his stuff that he don't has to sleep, so that he can work night and day. Of course only pharmaceutical quality winking smiley
and call Mick Taylor to play some lead-guitar parts.
And bring some ladies for Mick J.
And of course lock them all into a dirty and moldy basement.

Koen

That's not a problem, they could conjure him up >grinning smiley<
Bobby would be great too, and maybe they could call Stu to play the piano-parts grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-07 20:05 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: January 7, 2015 20:47

A new producer

Date: January 7, 2015 21:19

black n blue
A new producer
New pruducer - okay..
But they should Bob Clearmountain let it mix, PLEASE NOT JJ Puig again hot smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 7, 2015 23:05

Maybe Mick should leave the Caribbean and go to the Turks & Caicos to relax...

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: January 9, 2015 15:50

I'd appreciate it if they would produce an album full of music they like and they want to play, disregarding sales figures and disregarding the opinions of fans, who usually just want to relive their own youth through their music.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 9, 2015 15:57

Just to finally make one. It's 10 years since now...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 9, 2015 16:00

If they really wanted to do a new record it would've happened by now. Pressed for time? No. They've had YEARS to do something. Obviously not an issue. Getting too old doesn't motivate for recording.

Some people think someone has to have something to say. I don't think that's necessarily true. But one does need the want to do something, even if it is just going through the motions (like they did with VOODOO LOUNGE, which still had some interesting results that mainly did not make the LP).

That's glaringly obvious that they're not even interested in that.

Date: January 9, 2015 16:02

GasLightStreet
If they really wanted to do a new record it would've happened by now. Pressed for time? No. They've had YEARS to do something. Obviously not an issue. Getting too old doesn't motivate for recording.

Some people think someone has to have something to say. I don't think that's necessarily true. But one does need the want to do something, even if it is just going through the motions (like they did with VOODOO LOUNGE, which still had some interesting results that mainly did not make the LP).

That's glaringly obvious that they're not even interested in that.

I'm afraid their last chance was when they made D&G and OMS, but who knows?

Date: January 9, 2015 16:05

I think you're right. The issue is, they don't want to make a new album. 2 songs... well, whatever.

It amazes me that the amount of time they spend waiting around... all these years... they could've made 5 LPs by now. They just don't want to.

Not that I blame them. They've only recorded 5 gazillion albums.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: January 9, 2015 22:14

There are MANY GREAT BANDS NOWADAYS AND YOU ARE WAITING FOR A NEW STONES ALBUM? Please tell me this is a joke! eye popping smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 9, 2015 22:24

...then what are you doing here constantly spreading your negativity day in and day out ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: January 9, 2015 22:32

An album of re-recorded Stones classics with a special guest singer on every track - Fergie, Bono, Christina Aguilera, etc, produced by Jack White. Clapton on guest lead.

Date: January 10, 2015 02:13

Oh dear. So you want the Stones to take the Sinatra route, eh?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 10, 2015 02:25

All-in-all, I'm happy with the re-issues that feature re-recordings of unreleased tracks as bonus discs. Tattoo you, for example, was an album of leftovers..and we liked it. Keep'em comin' boys...lookin' forward to Sticky Fingers this year!!! Here's to yasmileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 10, 2015 07:32

Part of the Stones' genius on covers was recording songs that weren't that well known to the general public, and sometimes weren't recorded that well, and kicking them up into the stratosphere. I had never heard Harlem Shuffle before the Stones excellent version. (And their last great cover). That's why, IMHO, I think recording 'Like A Rolling Stone' was a mistake for the group. They couldn't possibly top it, and didn't even put their own interesting Stones spin on it, like they did with 'Just My Imagination'.

And yes, recording well known songs with a bunch of outside singers would indeed be the death knell of the group. Practically no one wants to buy an album of Duets with Mick, ala Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga.

If they want to make one last great album, they have to drop the idea of it being popular. They can't approach it that way. Make the best music they can make, with emphasis on the blues. Don't pander to the audience. Create something that uses everything they've learned and let the people come to them. And yes, I'd like to see them open to working with Taylor and Wyman. The sunset is near. There's no time to lose, I heard her say....

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: January 10, 2015 07:46

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:38 by camper88.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 10, 2015 08:39

24FPS
Part of the Stones' genius on covers was recording songs that weren't that well known to the general public, and sometimes weren't recorded that well, and kicking them up into the stratosphere. I had never heard Harlem Shuffle before the Stones excellent version. (And their last great cover). That's why, IMHO, I think recording 'Like A Rolling Stone' was a mistake for the group. They couldn't possibly top it, and didn't even put their own interesting Stones spin on it, like they did with 'Just My Imagination'.

And yes, recording well known songs with a bunch of outside singers would indeed be the death knell of the group. Practically no one wants to buy an album of Duets with Mick, ala Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga.

If they want to make one last great album, they have to drop the idea of it being popular. They can't approach it that way. Make the best music they can make, with emphasis on the blues. Don't pander to the audience. Create something that uses everything they've learned and let the people come to them. And yes, I'd like to see them open to working with Taylor and Wyman. The sunset is near. There's no time to lose, I heard her say....

Well said! I agree with all of it. Unfortunately dropping the idea of being popular may be the true challenge since they are thinking "legacy" instead of "great new record".

I think Keith would be up for it but I'm guessing Mick won't want to risk closing the catalog with an unpopular record when future popular tours are not a given.
I hope I'm wrong and the reason Keith is delaying his new solo record is because he wants to give some gems to a new Stones record!

peace

Date: January 10, 2015 09:39

camper88
24FPS
Part of the Stones' genius on covers was recording songs that weren't that well known to the general public

Indeed, their first cover was so thoroughly unknown that it hadn't even been released yet by the original artists--I Wanna Be Your Man.

When the X-Pensive Winos covered it, it was slightly better known but largely forgotten. And by time the Stones covered it again in 2012, it was there song again.

Their second cover smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2101
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home