Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Sonoko Nimura in memory
Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: January 5, 2015 09:29

RIP Sonoko, you are what the Stones are all about for all of us. Lucky to have the chance to meet you a few times at shows and hotels while following our favourite band. You left us far too soon!

Posted by: SSJagger ()
Date: January 5, 2015 11:33

I was introduced to Sonoko in Spain, maybe Barcelona or Madrid, in 1998, on my first of many European tours, by Gabor, the blonde guy mentioned in an earlier post. I'll never forget how he said, "This is Sonoko.", with enthusiasm. He thought she was someone I had to meet. Those of us that traveled around together, had to know each other. We had booked the same hotel, so I met her in the lobby, or cafe, after the show. Her English consisted of the basic words to get her point across, Hungry, Thirsty, Sleepy. It worked. It also improved rapidly. We ate individual Paellas.
I experienced many of the same things described here by others that knew her. Thank you for expressing those things.
She was my main traveling partner for years. She knew my family. We'd play guitar over Hotmail Messenger. She'd call me from Japan. I took her to Kampai in Illinois. We'd meet in NY. She worked for Bo Diddley and was very sad when he died. She loved all kinds of music. She was friends with Marth Reeves and Valerie Simpson. She took me to SugarBar. I was amazed that I hadn't heard of it.
I'm in utter shock and disbelief but also gutted by the loss of this dear friend. I don't know how I'm going to do this without her. It will not be the same. She is in my heart, but I miss her and it's just starting to hit me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-20 16:09 by SSJagger.

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: January 5, 2015 20:08

This is very sad news indeedsad smiley I met Sonoko many times and she was polite and would always smile. A sweet sweet lady who will be missed.

John Nicholls

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: January 5, 2015 20:24

I never knew her but very sorry to read this thread and BV's lovely tribute.

RIP Sonoko, and sincere condolences to all her friends and family.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: January 5, 2015 22:41

Met her in Toronto and London.
RIP. Sonoko

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: January 6, 2015 01:49

May the Good Lord shine a light on you Sonoko

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 6, 2015 02:23

I just read in an old news from the The Guardian that she in 2006 already attended approx. 300 shows....that what we call a fan........RIP

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: January 6, 2015 21:55

NICOS
I just read in an old news from the The Guardian that she in 2006 already attended approx. 300 shows....that what we call a fan........RIP
. That's what we call a wealthy fan. I am a fan too, but I could have not afford it. But I am sure that she could have not SPEND her money in a better way

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 6, 2015 22:22

I have met her once, can't remember where. Yes, very friendly, and smiling.

Was she one of these two superfans from Japan, or no connection at all?
[www.iorr.org]

Gazza
I think your esteemed webmaster cant be a kick in the arse off having seen more than anyone else. Dean Goodman seems to get to a hell of a lot too. And I know 'The GR' must be close to about 130.

That Japanese couple - the Ono's - saw EVERY show on the Licks tour (117 gigs!). Dont know if they did something similar on other tours, but if they did, then the mind boggles.

Remember that half of the Stones shows took place in the first five years of their career (the 1,000th show was 1967 - the 2,000th was 2006). Unless you'd a connection to the band I doubt travelling to multiple shows was much of a possibility prior to the 80s.

Posted by: SwayMT73 ()
Date: January 7, 2015 04:01

I'm glad I got to Meet Sonoko - the last time we spoke I was able to pass on to her some positive messages I know she appreciated. RIP

Posted by: SSJagger ()
Date: January 7, 2015 08:21

I'm at 208. Sonoko saw many more than I did, so I think it was closer to 400-500, but we'll never know. She didn't know. She'd say, 'Don't know, don't count, but a lot.' She was not kidding. What a sweet friend. Still can't believe this, but I don't think I want to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-20 16:11 by SSJagger.

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: January 7, 2015 15:54

Sonoko saw more than 500 shows!! I know this as fact!!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 7, 2015 16:14

She definitely belonged to the "Groundhog Day" league of fandom! thumbs up

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: January 8, 2015 16:30

What a beautiful person. Sorry to say I did not meet her.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 8, 2015 19:17

This thread is a moving tribute to a very fine person.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: January 9, 2015 22:27

Rest in peace Sonoko. Love to all her family and friends. Also a big hug to all of the Stones community.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 12, 2015 01:22

I would just like to thank each and everyone for posting so many nice things about Sonoko in this thread. It was really heartwarming for me and my Dear Lady Anne. We will miss Sonoko very much, but it made us feel really good that so many people have so many good memories of Sonoko. Also thanks to the people who didn't know her and yet posted some kind comforting words. Thank you all.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: straycatc ()
Date: January 12, 2015 12:34

I cannot believe it. Shattered. Been touring with Sonoko for 15 years (and with the Stones for more than 30) ... started this tour with her at rehearsals at Burbank/LA and ended it with her at the last night of the last European show in Copenhagen at the Stones-Hotel. And now it turns out this was her last tour. Although I cannot imagine how it will be touring with you, we will keep on touring with you in our souls, Sonoko, Soul Suvivor. Thank you for sharing your wonderful, gentle, decent, delicate and at the same time funny Rock'n'Roll personality and the great times at the tours with me&us!

Posted by: straycatc ()
Date: January 12, 2015 12:39

Of course I meant: "Although I cannot imagine how it will be touring withOUT you, we will keep on touring with you in our souls, Sonoko, Soul Suvivor. (as I said before: shattered, too shattered to get a sentence straight;-(

Posted by: Jeffroi ()
Date: January 29, 2015 23:04

I've known Sonoko since the 'Bridges' Tour or was it Voodoo?!?. She always had the energy and love to make it to the next gig, no matter how remote or costly. James Callahan once said to Sonoko and I that we should get married. She was a beautiful person inside and out and fondly is in my 'Memory Motel' I remember haphazardly driving w/ her to Ragina, Canada from Montana 'Crackin' Up' to more recently crying together all night at the Perth Hyatt upon the news of L'Wren. RIP Sonoko, you beautiful soul. The tour will never be the same w/ out you. xox

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 30, 2015 00:10

Not to be looking for gossip or anything...
But how could such a sweet and dedicated person leave this earth at such a young age, without something being horribly wrong regarding her health?
Why did she leave us?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home