Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Sonoko Nimura in memory
Date: January 2, 2015 11:02

RIP, Sonoko.

Posted by: JK62 ()
Date: January 2, 2015 11:20

I have no words but I do have a lot of great memories. R.I.P. my dear friend.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: January 2, 2015 11:55

I'll miss you, Sonoko-san.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 2, 2015 12:12

Bondy, November 9th 2012, a slightly eerie picture...goodbye Sonoko sad smiley

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 2, 2015 13:34

I am so sorry for your loss BV .May she rest in peace!!!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: January 2, 2015 16:08

Beautifully written tribute, Bjornulf. I'm sorry for your loss.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Sonoko, but I'm fairly sure I've seen her on the front row of concert videos before.

May she rest in peace. Taken far too soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 2, 2015 16:33

"Only the good die young" -- Billy Joel
I never met her but she seems like a lovely lady. BV wrote a good remembrance- obituary that made her come alive to me

Posted by: Tiger ()
Date: January 2, 2015 17:50

I met Sonoko sometime during the Stones' Bridges to Babylon tour in 1998 - I think it was the April Chicago concert. Her English on that tour was limited, but we bonded over the Stones throughout 1999's No Security tour.

Sonoko really did go on tour, she rarely missed a Stones concert. The Bridges to Babylon and No Security tours of 1997-99 was a three year commitment and I doubt she missed more than a dozen shows of a 150 plus concerts. She racked up Northwest miles quicker than a flight attendant. She'd travel by Greyhound between cities like Cleveland and Chicago. Trains in Europe. She always knew where to be before the Stones even knew where they were going to be.

Usually I ran into Sonoko just before or after a Stones concert in an arena or stadium. Sometimes at the hotel where the Stones were staying. Our conversations were never long - but somewhere near the end of the No Security tour I had a chance to spend some time talking with her and hearing about her experiences that tour. I was in awe that she was just excited about the Stones at the end of the tour as she was at the beginning of the tour.

I remember someone once telling me that Sonoko's family didn't think women should travel alone internationally and that they had no idea she spent the years from '97 to '99 following the Stones. She would tell her family that she was being temporarily transferred to another Japanese city for her job and would fly back to Japan for family gatherings. I asked her about that in '99 and she said something about a cell phone making it possible - but her English was still limited then and my Japanese non existent - so I wasn't sure if we were talking about the same thing and she had actually kept three years of international travel a secret.

Three years later in '02 on Licks, one of the first people I ran across was Sonoko. My Japanese was still non existent and Sonoko's English was nearly better than mine. And again in '05, she was one of the first I saw when my friends and I had figured out the date and venue for the secret Stones gig in Toronto. I ran across Sonoko several times on the recent tour - often in a ladies room and there was never time for more than a hug, good to see you, how's the tour going. Three or four minutes of path crossing.

The last time I saw Sonoko was this past summer in the Steigenberger Hotel lobby in Brussels. Alyssa and I were heading to the airport and home. Sonoko was heading to Stockholm and Copenhagen for the last two European concerts. There was just time for a hug and a promise to catch up on a later leg.

I never asked Sonoko how many Stones concerts she had attended. It's a common question - how many this tour? - what is your career total? With someone like Sonoko - you just didn't ask what their Stones career total was. Or at least I didn't - Sonoko is a legend - her Stones adventures so far above mine they were mythical. I'd ask her about the rehearsals she made it in to, the private concerts she wasn't on the wrong side of the door for. But I never asked for a total. I'm glad I didn't - in my mind - Sonoko's total will be one more than the Stones will ever play

I'll never walk into or out of a Stones concert without seeing Sonoko in the crowd. And she will always be seated at the best table in the Stones' hotel bar for Stones viewing.

I'll miss you, Sonoko - the Tours won't be the same without your enthusiasm, smiles and hugs. Your love and spirit will always be one step ahead of the Rolling Stones.

"I had an arrangement to meet a girl, and I was kind of late
And I thought by the time I got there she'd be off
She'd be off with the nearest truck driver she could find
Much to my surprise, there she was sitting in the corner
A little bleary, worse for wear and tear
Was a girl with far away eyes."

Posted by: kitoise ()
Date: January 2, 2015 18:31

Sad news; RIP in peace Sonoko with all your Stones'beautiful memories
The contacts with you were so friendly!

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: January 2, 2015 18:36

R.I.P.

Per-Arne

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: January 2, 2015 19:33

RIP. Sincere condolences to her friends and family.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 2, 2015 19:45

I've never met her, but it's nice to read some memories from the people who've met her at the Stones concerts. RIP, Sonoko.

Posted by: MRROLLING ()
Date: January 2, 2015 20:22

RIP SONOKO

I know SONOKO since more 20 years ; the LAST TIME that I have encountered is in rehearsals of BONDY .

GOOD BYE MY VERY NICE FRIEND

SINCERES CONDOLEANCES MON AMIE DU PAYS DU SOLEIL LEVANT.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 2, 2015 20:43

Good evening , bv
Just a few words to let you know I am sorry for your loss .

I read your Sonoko Nimura in memory - by Bjornulf Vik, Norway
Your words are meaningful, really
I never met Sonoko ,
It might sound stupid but I do think this board is like a family.
Do you remember about Helter Skelter loss ?
So I can dare to say that I know how you feel .
Sincerely yours,
SwayStones

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: January 2, 2015 21:52

So shocked to hear of this news. We met in 1997 B2B opening night in Chicago and instantly became friends. Over the years we traveled together,stayed in same hotels, went to Baseball games on days off.When in NYC she stayed either at my place in Manhattan or at my Home in Brooklyn. I have lost a Very Dear Friend and it will never be the same at any show I may be at. My condolences to all her friends and family.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 2, 2015 22:34

I first met Sonoko in 1997 and over the years developed a wonderful friendship with her.
Any future Stones concert will not be the same without her. I miss her deeply.

Posted by: alfstone ()
Date: January 2, 2015 23:42

Sad news for me too!
I met Sonoko in Wembley and Brixton on the Voodoo Lounge Tour I think, Great person, very friendly and an awesome fan!! Seen her at multiple Stones shows in Europe and always had my deepest admiration. I´ll miss you Sonoko.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 2, 2015 23:54

Was she member on IORR ?

Posted by: jhrock83 ()
Date: January 3, 2015 00:13

I Miss a real good people
I met her in BONDY and it was always a pleasure to see this little lady with her big smile .

wish you the best in the heaven with Bobby , Brian .... Take Care Everybody

R I P

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: January 3, 2015 02:28

Dear Sonoko,
Whilst I never met you or knew you. Please let me offer my heartfelt condolence to all that knew you.and any family members that will suffer from your leaving them behind,Pease be at rest.To all on IORR who knew Sonoko, let her memory stay with you for ever.
Kind Regards
Tonstone.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: January 3, 2015 13:11

Sad sad sad sad smiley
I saw her in Bondy in November 2012.
R I P

Posted by: WolfgangG ()
Date: January 3, 2015 14:41

I met her on several occasions when Bo Diddley was touring Europe. She always treated everyone with great respect. And I do remember Bo greeting fans in London. I was one of them.

Bo passed on in 2008. Now him and Sonoko are again reunited in Rock'n'Roll heaven.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 3, 2015 15:07

that's very sad to hear. i got to meet her after this year's Stockholm concert,
hanging around the Grand Hotel Lobby. it's not easy to find a fan more passionate about the Stones than she was.

Posted by: stonphan ()
Date: January 3, 2015 16:48

Sad,It's so sad!I first meet Sonoko on the voodoo lounge tour and from there we share many time the road or the wait for a concert,she was always calme and lovely.i remmenber the long hour that we spend in bus station waiting...but one time we where stuck at the bus station in chicago because Greyhound could'nt found a bus driver for bringing us back to NY...i was giving a hard time at the desk with no result but Sonoko she just stay cool.we spend the nigth talking about family and music.I remenber also when we where looking for gazoline at 2 Am lost somewhere in New brunswick on our way to the concert in Moncton,Sonoko always calme and cool.
I did'nt see many concert on 14FIRE tour so a didn't have a chance to see Sonoko But she will always be part of my memory and my music life.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 4, 2015 00:15

May the good Lord shine a light on you Sonoko.

Posted by: kikiscamera ()
Date: January 4, 2015 05:18

I ran into Sonoko many times over the years, not just at Stones shows, it seemed like whenever there was good music playing I would turn around and see her face. After a while, I was never surprised when I would run into her. We became friends.

One time after seeing Ginger Baker at the Iridium, we decided to try to go backstage and meet him after the show. I led the way and she followed closely behind me, hiding behind my back, afraid of catching the wrath of Ginger. When I politely asked Ginger for a picture, he said, "A picture?" and brushed us away with a dismissive flip of his hand and disgusted look on his face. We retreated out of the backstage area and were met by the club manager. Sonoko got an earful from her and was begged not to bother Ginger, afraid he would cancel the remaining shows. We always remembered and shared a nice laugh about this, and she told me,
"Oh Kiki, this is the best story I ever had of an encounter with a legend like Ginger Baker."
Adieu my friend. So enchanted to meet with you, and I will cherish those memories "pour toujours".

Ronnie Wood and Friends 04.21.12 Golden Nugget Atlantic City, NJ

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-04 09:31 by kikiscamera.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 4, 2015 08:55

A very sad passing, but it's been a pleasure to read these heartfelt tributes to someone who sounds like a very lovely lady (whom I never met, but am sure I recognize). My condolences to her family, and to all of you who knew and loved her.

Posted by: muziek ()
Date: January 4, 2015 11:57

a very nice woman whit a big passion for music.never forget the nights she came all the way from japan to see ian mc clagan at the halfmoon pub in putney and brought around 20 items to sign for ian ánd he did.it was funny to watch.a very big stonesfan is gone,r.i.p. sonoko

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: January 4, 2015 13:54

Sincere condolences

R.I.P.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: January 4, 2015 18:38

Sad. Only met her a few times. A star, so much fun!
There is a star up there shining with your name on Sonoko!
Lived your dream and so much fun.

TE
Oslo

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home