Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Anyone attend any of The Rolling Stones 71 UK Tour shows
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 31, 2014 01:51

dcba
DandelionPowderman

I'm not so sure if rock journalists could be categorised among those 99,99%, though, as their job was to follow the bands.

You overestimate their dedication and you underestimate the level of amateurism that was prevalent among "rock" journos from that era.

Remember the "Harold Colson 72 press clippings" thread : some journos wrote some extravagant things about what was played during the 1972 shows. They could write utter BS and get away with it.

I agree. Before decades the net, and whatever second hand sources, and even the bootleg market not being such a big business yet, I guess it was rather impossible for an English rock journalist know in 1971 what they even had played, say, in Helsinki 1970, than to name some not yet published tune. The writer in that article, by the way, describes "Brown Sugar" as "another untitled original rocker".

Looking those different reviews, the writers seem to guess new songs, if they dare, by the key phrase they recognize... we have things like "Take Me Down Little Suzie"...

- Doxa

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 31, 2014 02:18

Yep..all very true.
Good job video james..great thread.
Id like to know what show Wild Horses was played at?
Mathijs is 100% certain...please elaborate...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 31, 2014 11:14

DandelionPowderman
BTW, remember the swedish Keith 1971 interview posted here a few months ago, where we heard an unknown live 71-version of MR in the background?

Did we conclude on where it was from?

That indeed was a great thing to hear. My understanding is, and we've discussed this before on this board, they recorded each and every show from the 1969 tour on for own use, and half a dozen shows on each tour on professional 8 or 16 track. So, they must have some soundboard recordings of the 1971 tour.

Karnbach mentions they video taped another 1971 show -that would seem very unlikely to me. There hasn't been any mention ever about a show being videotaped, other than the press clippings of Amsterdam, Paris and Berlin.

Mathijs

Date: December 31, 2014 13:28

Doxa
dcba
DandelionPowderman

I'm not so sure if rock journalists could be categorised among those 99,99%, though, as their job was to follow the bands.

You overestimate their dedication and you underestimate the level of amateurism that was prevalent among "rock" journos from that era.

Remember the "Harold Colson 72 press clippings" thread : some journos wrote some extravagant things about what was played during the 1972 shows. They could write utter BS and get away with it.

I agree. Before decades the net, and whatever second hand sources, and even the bootleg market not being such a big business yet, I guess it was rather impossible for an English rock journalist know in 1971 what they even had played, say, in Helsinki 1970, than to name some not yet published tune. The writer in that article, by the way, describes "Brown Sugar" as "another untitled original rocker".

Looking those different reviews, the writers seem to guess new songs, if they dare, by the key phrase they recognize... we have things like "Take Me Down Little Suzie"...

- Doxa

But to describe BS as "loose" and "a section led by Bill" + "with an extended sax solo". IMO, it's not Bitch, nor BS. The Bristol setlist shows that CYHMK indeed was played.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: December 31, 2014 13:38

about Can't Hear me Knocking there are some informations that you can read in some RS books (Il libro nero dei Rolling Stones - Giunti Editore)

The Stones played a truncated version of this song a few times before it was released on the Sticky Fingers album. These performances took place on their 11-date UK farewell tour before they left England to avoid taxes. After these shows, they didn't play it live again until 2002, at which point they could bring alone plenty of musicians to support it. They had percussionists on earlier tours, but didn't feel comfortable performing this song since anytime they rehearsed it, they either made stale attempts to duplicate the album version or did sloppy improvisations. Bobby K at the end of the solo part didn't know what play. The groove was not the same of the studio version because all the percussion they recorded during the recording process. So after this one and only live bad version fom the 1971 tour Mick J did not wat to play the song for the rest of the tour and for some years.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 31, 2014 14:19

Mathijs

Karnbach mentions they video taped another 1971 show -that would seem very unlikely to me. There hasn't been any mention ever about a show being videotaped, other than the press clippings of Amsterdam, Paris and Berlin.

You are talking about shows of The 1970 Tour of Europe, that's not the UK 1971 Tour.

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: December 31, 2014 15:04

Nzentgraf states the Liverpool dates were recorded by Glyn. That's were the "Rambler" from the 71 Keith interview seems to be from. Get those nuggets out of the vaults...

Posted by: MuddyJaggrich ()
Date: December 31, 2014 15:09

The tension increases.

It really seems that something about the farewell tour is going to be
released.

So open the cage and let the tiger out.

It would be a great pleasure to get a re released sticky fingers in a package like the "ya yas" maybe with a live cd from the 71 tour and a dvd just, even it is the
Marquee show.

Can't wait for it.

Cheers.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 31, 2014 18:09

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
dcba
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

But to describe BS as "loose" and "a section led by Bill" + "with an extended sax solo". IMO, it's not Bitch, nor BS. The Bristol setlist shows that CYHMK indeed was played.

Yeah, that tune in question must be "Knocking". But he neither didn't recognize "Brown Sugar", as we can see later in the article, and of which we were discussing above.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-31 18:11 by Doxa.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 31, 2014 18:14

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
dcba
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Yeah, that tune in question must be "Knocking". But he neither didn't recognize "Brown Sugar", as we can see later in the article, and of which we were discussing above.

- Doxa

All of this is correct, but there's also an article on which the journalist didn't recognized Prodigal Son, although it was released 3 years before, like I've posted before. cool smiley

Date: December 31, 2014 18:20

NoPanic
Nzentgraf states the Liverpool dates were recorded by Glyn. That's were the "Rambler" from the 71 Keith interview seems to be from. Get those nuggets out of the vaults...

The setlist of the early show was superb. This is from www.setlist.fm:
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Live with Me
Dead Flowers
Stray Cat Blues
Love in Vain
Prodigal Son
Midnight Rambler
Bitch
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Wild Horses
Honky Tonk Women
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Little Queenie
Brown Sugar
Street Fighting Man
Encore:
Sympathy for the Devil

Note: Early Show.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 31, 2014 19:41

The press cutting earlier in the thread states that the Marquee film would be produced by one Tom Keylock.
Surely not, was their press dept having a laugh?
I always thought he got the heavo from Stones Ltd by the end of 1969 following Brian's demise.

Posted by: AmpegVT22 ()
Date: December 31, 2014 19:52

They were fabulous in Bristol, March '71. Horns & piano clearly audible. Plenty of excitement; not at all like the lumpen Marquee show.

They didn't do WIld Horses that night; I'd already heard the Gram Parsons v. at the 1970 IOW festival & would have known the song if they'd played it in Bristol. They did do Bitch. Horns sounded great. Otherwise the setlist was pretty much like the generic UK March 71 list.

The show was taped.

My pal & I (who'd broken his leg) recorded it on a primitive battery cassette player, with the mic held up on the end of his walking stick. Spotting the bouncers looming as the show ended, I walked one way with the tape in my pocket while he hobbled off & got hassled by bouncers & hall management - who only found an empty cassette recorder. I made an attempt to rediscover this tape, circa 1984, but its owner had emigrated to Rhodesia.

Should the tape ever surface it will be easily identified/authenticated by the voice of an American fan who kept shouting "One for the Medina" between songs...

John Perry

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 31, 2014 19:55

Was the Marquee show really that lumpen? Don't think so. But a great story, nice nickname.thumbs up

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: December 31, 2014 21:33

AmpegVT22
They were fabulous in Bristol, March '71. Horns & piano clearly audible. Plenty of excitement; not at all like the lumpen Marquee show.

They didn't do WIld Horses that night; I'd already heard the Gram Parsons v. at the 1970 IOW festival & would have known the song if they'd played it in Bristol. They did do Bitch. Horns sounded great. Otherwise the setlist was pretty much like the generic UK March 71 list.

The show was taped.

My pal & I (who'd broken his leg) recorded it on a primitive battery cassette player, with the mic held up on the end of his walking stick. Spotting the bouncers looming as the show ended, I walked one way with the tape in my pocket while he hobbled off & got hassled by bouncers & hall management - who only found an empty cassette recorder. I made an attempt to rediscover this tape, circa 1984, but its owner had emigrated to Rhodesia.

Should the tape ever surface it will be easily identified/authenticated by the voice of an American fan who kept shouting "One for the Medina" between songs...

John Perry

grinning smiley Great story!
Maybe they did Wild Horses at the other show at Bristol the same day. Did you see the early show or the late show?

Date: December 31, 2014 22:25

AmpegVT22

The show was taped.

John Perry

You attended both shows in Bristol?

Posted by: AmpegVT22 ()
Date: January 1, 2015 00:10

I think I saw the early show. (Bristol Colston Hall).

And Happy New Year everyone.

JP

Date: January 1, 2015 04:34

thumbs up
drinking smiley drinking smileydrinking smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 1, 2015 17:06

Wild Horses was played 100%....
So Mathijs says...
Would like to know rather than the usual crap.
Thanks

Date: January 1, 2015 17:13

Eleanor Rigby
Wild Horses was played 100%....
So Mathijs says...
Would like to know rather than the usual crap.
Thanks

Didn't you see the setlist?

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: January 1, 2015 21:50

Great read, just got round to reading this.

Happy new year to everyone and also to Erik, and would love to see him back.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 1, 2015 22:04

Assuming there were no legal issues ie ABKCO, if these shows were that good, why werent they released at the time?
I seem to remember the Leeds gig recorded by Glyn Johns and broadcast by the BBC's Radio One. Perfectly good recordings. The band at their peak. Loads of recordings in private hands!
The Who"s Live at Leeds was a big seller also...same period.
The UK University circuit was a prime venue in the early 70"s.
Macca famously did a series of under publicised gigs around 1972 with Wings.
Good times!

Date: January 1, 2015 22:21

Why is Leeds the Stones at their peak?

SCB and LIR are good, but the rest is pretty lacklustre, imo.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: January 1, 2015 22:23

In the original 1971 RS article, there's a section that starts off with, "Saturday night in Coventry...." and goes on about Mick, Marshall, and Bianca sitting around talking between the early and evening show. Yada yada yada, then "And there is this silence that seems to grow around the phrase, before and after, like when the Stones sing Wild Horses on stage and no one knows what to do with it. It stops everyone cold. They have to think."

So unless he's totally confused already by the third date, it's a pretty good guess that WH got at least one airing during those first two stops.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 1, 2015 23:25

Rolling Stones - 1971 Marquee Club trailer......

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 1, 2015 23:38

Welcome to the board, John Perry! Great story!

I very much enjoyed your book about Exile, and of course all the great music with The Only Ones.

Happy New Year!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 2, 2015 00:24

NICOS

What a great find, NICOS! Thanks for sharing. thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 2, 2015 00:35

Cristiano Radtke
NICOS

What a great find, NICOS! Thanks for sharing. thumbs up

Next one is CYHMK grinning smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 2, 2015 00:37

I remember being blown away watching the Marquee videos that have surfaced. I have a pretty good suspicion that this show will be released with a killer Bob Clearmountain remix for the Sticky Fingers deluxe re-issue. It just fits so perfectly.

My favorite Stones era and I love that the live shows from the era were not perfect. They really show the bare bones of the incredible songs and highlight Mick Taylor's wonderful contributions.

peace

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 2, 2015 01:24

I guess, I was also among the lucky ones. I was present during the second concert (started 20.30h) in Bristol's Colston Hall on March 9, 1971. Truly a great concert with a terrific rendition of Street Fighting Man. I also clearly remember the fans that left the building after the first show. It was a big, happy party of dancing people in the street.
I even still have the (tiny) 75 p ticket of that 2nd show. I didn't know at the time that they had to leave Britain. Only seven weeks later I was the proud owner of the Sticky Fingers album (with the "shocking" smooth zipper).

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home