Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

stones alternative tracks
Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: December 19, 2014 03:33

ya know what's needed around here. a spot for easy access to rare alternative tracks. truly digging some of this discovered gems

miss you 8-ball/track version

[youtu.be]

emotional rescue alternative long version

[youtu.be]

wild horses pedal steel version

[youtu.be]

beast of burden 8-track version starts @ .52 sec

[youtu.be]

too much blood 12" dance version (always been my favorite, crazy track)

[youtu.be]

gimme shelter unreleased extended version

[youtu.be]

Re: stones alternative tracks
Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: December 19, 2014 05:21

While the Wild Horses pedal steel version sounds nice, isn't this a fake? Someone playing a true alternate version without all the guitars and adding a pedal steel? I know originally they were trying to use Sneaky Pete- that's how Gram got to releases the FBB version first.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 19, 2014 05:54

bigmac7895
While the Wild Horses pedal steel version sounds nice, isn't this a fake? Someone playing a true alternate version without all the guitars and adding a pedal steel? I know originally they were trying to use Sneaky Pete- that's how Gram got to releases the FBB version first.

I hope you're just being nice here, it sounds like crap to me, bad mix. The only thing that sounds authentic is MJ's voice.

peace

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 19, 2014 14:05

She Was Hot

great piano solo at the end!!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 19, 2014 17:03

Miss You - this must be the actual full length mix that hasn't been messed with ala the "remix", which is more of a copy and paste editing job - all the mixes sound the same, it's just the editing that's different.

Date: December 19, 2014 17:07

Naturalust
bigmac7895

I hope you're just being nice here, it sounds like crap to me, bad mix. The only thing that sounds authentic is MJ's voice.

peace

It's clearly an early working version of what became the LP track.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 19, 2014 19:30

GasLightStreet
Miss You - this must be the actual full length mix that hasn't been messed with ala the "remix", which is more of a copy and paste editing job - all the mixes sound the same, it's just the editing that's different.

who is the girl kissing Mick's neck?

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 19, 2014 19:51

TheGreek
GasLightStreet

who is the girl kissing Mick's neck?

Jerry Hall?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 19, 2014 19:52

Great idea, but I'm afraid this thread will be merged with the YouTube thread...

Date: December 19, 2014 21:38

GasLightStreet
Naturalust
bigmac7895

peace

Really? I thought that tune was worked out (to this level) in Alabama at the Muscle Shoals Studio and recorded right away. I can't imagine they had working versions this complete before then if the stories I've heard from Jim Dickenson and others are true.

Here is what MJ said about the tune:

“Keith had this tune, ‘Wild Horses,’ but I don’t think that was really finished,” said Jagger. “He had the chorus but that was about it. So that was all written on the spot. Muscle Shoals Studio was in this rather interesting place. Being there does inspire you to do it slightly differently. ‘Wild Horses’ is a sort of country song.”

I'm of the opinion that that pedal steel version is a bastardization by someone besides the Stones.

peace

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 19, 2014 21:47

For me it also sounds like crap..........looks like some home work editing..............

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 19, 2014 23:01

sundevil

[youtu.be]

I think there was a discussion about this one sometime ago. As far as I remember, this is fake.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 20, 2014 00:01

Re the Wild Horses version:

This has been available on boots for many years, and the most probable info is this:

early 1970: Los Angeles, unidentified studio. Overdubs, supervised by Denny Cordell, on a tape sent to L.A. by the Stones via London:
Sneaky Pete Kleinow on pedal steel, Leon Russell on organ

(from Nico Zentgraf´s site)

Date: December 20, 2014 18:43

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
Naturalust
bigmac7895

peace

Really? I thought that tune was worked out (to this level) in Alabama at the Muscle Shoals Studio and recorded right away. I can't imagine they had working versions this complete before then if the stories I've heard from Jim Dickenson and others are true.

Here is what MJ said about the tune:

“Keith had this tune, ‘Wild Horses,’ but I don’t think that was really finished,” said Jagger. “He had the chorus but that was about it. So that was all written on the spot. Muscle Shoals Studio was in this rather interesting place. Being there does inspire you to do it slightly differently. ‘Wild Horses’ is a sort of country song.”

I'm of the opinion that that pedal steel version is a bastardization by someone besides the Stones.

peace

They worked on Brown Sugar and Wild Horses in 1970 in England. They weren't finished in Alabama. Listening to that pedal steel version - you can hear vocal lines that were kept.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-20 18:45 by GasLightStreet.

Date: December 21, 2014 01:53

So is Wild Horses here a fake or a version from a bootleg that I have never heard before? I read fake on 2 posts and someone else claims it is Sneaky Pete.

Date: December 21, 2014 05:07

If that's a fake then the other boots I've heard of it are fakes as well - because they sound exactly the same minus the pedal steel.

Date: December 21, 2014 06:11

GasLightStreet
If that's a fake then the other boots I've heard of it are fakes as well - because they sound exactly the same minus the pedal steel.

Maybe the boots (less pedal steel) you've heard are real, but I'd still say the steel part laid over the top is someone's home edit. The steel playing is tad too busy, trying to fill too many holes and not necessarily indicative of Sneaky Pete's more skilled use of the pedals and tasteful licks. The song was so great I have a feeling he would have done some signature stuff and really added to the tune. Besides the sound quality is so poor it hardly seems like a professional recording. So I'm still guessing the overall package is a fake.

Here is an example of Sneaky Pete's playing in 1970:

peace

peace

Date: December 21, 2014 17:47

I agree with Naturalust. When I stated earlier that this version is great I should have added if it were real, it was a great find. Sounds to me someone laying what they think it would have sounded like on top of an actual alternate unfinished track.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: December 21, 2014 21:37

Regarding Wild Horses:

Not fake at all. All basic elements are there. Sneeky Pete did some lap-steel fills without the Stones present, so they had enough fills to choose from (which happend they did not). It's natural when you're doing overdubs, that you 'overplay' so there are enough elements to use when mixing.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: January 26, 2015 23:07

I don't know for sure, but I am a pedal steel player. The tone and style of playing on that sounds like Sneaky Pete to me. It could of course be faked but actually you can't fake that guitar tone very easily! It may not be the best example of pedal steel playing... hence why (if it's real) it didn't end up on the track. Sneaky Pete's perhaps suited the Burritos but not the Stones, with their more intricate guitar parts.

Try this for comparison
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 27, 2015 00:01

Naturalust
GasLightStreet

Maybe the boots (less pedal steel) you've heard are real, but I'd still say the steel part laid over the top is someone's home edit. The steel playing is tad too busy, trying to fill too many holes and not necessarily indicative of Sneaky Pete's more skilled use of the pedals and tasteful licks. The song was so great I have a feeling he would have done some signature stuff and really added to the tune. Besides the sound quality is so poor it hardly seems like a professional recording. So I'm still guessing the overall package is a fake.

Here is an example of Sneaky Pete's playing in 1970:

peace

peace

Peace also. I miss Gram Parsons in this clip.

Date: January 27, 2015 01:17

It is Sneaky Pete.

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: January 27, 2015 01:26

Cristiano Radtke
sundevil

[youtu.be]

I think there was a discussion about this one sometime ago. As far as I remember, this is fake.

Any more info on this?

Date: January 27, 2015 01:30

Cristiano Radtke
sundevil

[youtu.be]

You sure that wasn't the WH video where Keith and Gram supposedly were jamming?

I read that they sent the tapes to the US, and that Russell and Pete did overdub.

Date: January 27, 2015 01:39

DandelionPowderman
It is Sneaky Pete.

I'm not convinced but I'm willing to consider it's a possibility. Is this just your opinion or do you have a source for your assertion?

Don't really hear Sneaky Pete playing that busy and he usually was very tasteful about not stepping on other people's fills and vocals. Besides the mix screams "played over the top of the demo track" and not mixed in from it's own separate track. peace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2306
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home