Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Quintessential Stones Song
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 13, 2014 21:26

Been avoiding this thread cause it seems an impossible question to answer and the actual answer would not be my personal favorite Stones song.

But in order to give it a twist I'll answer what I think the quintessential tune is for each Rolling Stone member.

Brian- Under My Thumb

Mick Taylor - Sway

Keith - Jumpin' Jack Flash

Bill Wyman - Miss You

Mick Jagger - You Can't Always Get What You Want

Charlie - Ventilator Blues

Ronnie - It's Only Rock and Roll

Bobby Keys - Brown Sugar

peace

Posted by: FrankG ()
Date: December 13, 2014 21:35

Funny, how we start a thread with the quintessential Stones song we we move quickly to a 15 song list. For me the it is Jumping Jack Flash because a first of the open tuning songs and the song that started my beloved 68-73 run. I love Tumbling Dice because of it the highlight of the this period (brass, taylor, open G, and the best groove song they ever made). And my favorites remain Brown Sugar and the GYYO Sympathy for the Devil. But quintessential -JJF

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: December 13, 2014 23:13

(I canĀ“t get no) Satisfaction

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 13, 2014 23:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:46 by camper88.

Posted by: FrankG ()
Date: December 13, 2014 23:51

I always thought the quintessential was "representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class" or the " pure and essential essence of something". Also the thread name is the "quintessential Stones song" and not list of songs

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 14, 2014 00:16

Blues songs.........with rhythm and some aggressive dirtiness.....songs? a lot to mention

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: December 14, 2014 00:44

Alright, I've narrowed it to one - 'I wanna be your man'

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 14, 2014 01:12

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:45 by camper88.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: December 14, 2014 01:21

camper88
FrankG
I always thought the quintessential was "representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class" or the " pure and essential essence of something". Also the thread name is the "quintessential Stones song" and not list of songs

Most perfect is redundant; there's no superlative form of perfection--if it's perfect then there can't be a thing more perfect. As well you can have multiple examples of a perfect thing--think about throwing a perfect game. There isn't just one.

"typical example" seems right on, to me. But again that doesn't mean there's just one. Quintessence literally means the fifth essence--beyond earth, wind, fire & water--it's the spirit or ether of a thing.
Hell, the list might be fifty songs and called Grrr!. (kidding)

Oh dear, I just wrote a philosophy exam on Aristotle and Plotinus on Friday I can't think any longer about perfection and the five elements haha

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 14, 2014 02:41

Rocks Off! Because it was not a hit and it is awesome. Fire and dark energy, and horns and sheer glee. You can tell the Stones put a lot of work in to that song with all the layering, and yet is still rough and full of energy.

It is the ultimate burst of non-commercial not-a-big-hit angst-driven still-youthful pure Rolling Stones. And it is a toe-tapping ditty.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 14, 2014 02:48

Brian Jones era: Under My Thumb

Brian Jonesless era: Jumpin' Jack Flash

Mick Taylor era: Tumbling Dice

Ronnie Wood era: She's So Cold

post Bill Wyman era: Love Is Strong

The Rolling Stones overall:

Tumbling Dice

As much as Jumpin' Jack and Brown Sugar are probably the actual quintessential Stones songs, Tumbling Dice personifies The Rolling Stones.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2088
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home