Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: The definitive SECONDARY MARKET thread
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 6, 2015 18:03

paulywaul
Nate
A step in the right direction but im cautious.I would like to see it made law that you can only resell tickets at face value I think that's the only way to get rid of these disgusting rip off touts.

Nate thumbs up

Someone earlier in this thread remarked that the primary ticket sellers (like Ticketmaster and Seetickets and AXS) are increasingly invisible and tragically virtually unknown by an increasing proportion of normal punters that just want to buy a ticket for something or other and attend, thinking that the likes of SEATWAVE, GETMEIN, VIAGOGO, STUBHUB actually ARE the primary outlets. That fact alone is representative of how pervasive these secondary sites have become, and to what extent the public is being conned and f***ed, and in large part it also accounts for why there has been an increasingly loud clamour from the public and a considerable number of artists and venues and why the government (albeit reluctantly) has been forced to react.

I long for the day when the noose is further tightened by the passing of a law outlawing reselling of tickets altogether at anything other than face value - that would in a single stroke as good as put them all out of business. Can't see it happening, but it would be good were it to happen. One can dream .....

thumbs up

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 6, 2015 18:39

paulywaul

Someone earlier in this thread remarked that the primary ticket sellers (like Ticketmaster and Seetickets and AXS) are increasingly invisible and tragically virtually unknown by an increasing proportion of normal punters that just want to buy a ticket for something or other and attend, thinking that the likes of SEATWAVE, GETMEIN, VIAGOGO, STUBHUB actually ARE the primary outlets. That fact alone is representative of how pervasive these secondary sites have become, and to what extent the public is being conned and f***ed, and in large part it also accounts for why there has been an increasingly loud clamour from the public and a considerable number of artists and venues and why the government (albeit reluctantly) has been forced to react.

I long for the day when the noose is further tightened by the passing of a law outlawing reselling of tickets altogether at anything other than face value - that would in a single stroke as good as put them all out of business. Can't see it happening, but it would be good were it to happen. One can dream .....

I just sold some tickets to a non-sold out show from a non-Ticketmaster ticketing agency on StubHub. Face plus StubHub's hefty 25% so I can try to make my money back before I entertain any thoughts of losing money which I thought would likely happen.

I ended up easily selling them. They were still the cheapest tickets on StubHub and I made my money back. I was wondering why they bought them from me when they could get them from the primary seller for about $34 less total. Then I realized they probably couldn't figure out where to get the tickets so went right to StubHub. Not my problem really.

Tickets are like any other product or service. The educated consumer does better and spends less than the uneducated one. I don't spend much time worrying about uneducated people. And if someone can actually afford to go to a concert ... Yeah like I am really going to worry about how and where they spend their money.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 6, 2015 19:41

Dan
paulywaul

I just sold some tickets to a non-sold out show from a non-Ticketmaster ticketing agency on StubHub. Face plus StubHub's hefty 25% so I can try to make my money back before I entertain any thoughts of losing money which I thought would likely happen.

I ended up easily selling them. They were still the cheapest tickets on StubHub and I made my money back. I was wondering why they bought them from me when they could get them from the primary seller for about $34 less total. Then I realized they probably couldn't figure out where to get the tickets so went right to StubHub. Not my problem really.

Tickets are like any other product or service. The educated consumer does better and spends less than the uneducated one. I don't spend much time worrying about uneducated people. And if someone can actually afford to go to a concert ... Yeah like I am really going to worry about how and where they spend their money.

True, and you'll needless to say take note of the fact that the educated consumers have spoken in sufficient numbers, as have some venues and artists, and we have what we have ... legislation aimed at curbing the excesses, deceit, malpractice, and lack of transparency that prevails in the secondary market.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: March 6, 2015 19:50

paulywaul

True, and you'll needless to say take note of the fact that the educated consumers have spoken in sufficient numbers, as have some venues and artists, and we have what we have ... legislation aimed at curbing the excesses, deceit, malpractice, and lack of transparency that prevails in the secondary market.

I would like to see legislation aimed at curbing the excesses, deceit, malpractice, and lack of transparency that prevails in the primary market.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 6, 2015 21:17

Dan
paulywaul

I would like to see legislation aimed at curbing the excesses, deceit, malpractice, and lack of transparency that prevails in the primary market.

Hope you get your wish in that case ... what else to say ? Good luck !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 2, 2015 20:49

There you go Paulywaul...just moving my twopenneth worth over.....

The easiset way round the secondary market is to treat tickets like (some?) computer software, you lease it, you never actaully own it, so you can't sell it. (then you don't have to deal with the whine of "Oh, well I bought it, I own it,, I am a capitalist and should be able to sell it for whatever price I like, yak, yak, yak.......).................

The lease expires on the day of the show.

If you have a genuine problem and discover you can't attend the show after buying leasing it, you can surrender your lease (ticket) back to the band's ticket agent for face value minus a realistic and fair admin charge.

Plus, any band could do this without a change in the government regs just by making the part of the T & Cs, re. the ticket agent and the punter.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-02 20:51 by EddieByword.

Date: April 2, 2015 21:05

EddieByword
There you go Paulywaul...just moving my twopenneth worth over.....

The easiset way round the secondary market is to treat tickets like (some?) computer software, you lease it, you never actaully own it, so you can't sell it. (then you don't have to deal with the whine of "Oh, well I bought it, I own it,, I am a capitalist and should be able to sell it for whatever price I like, yak, yak, yak.......).................

The lease expires on the day of the show.

If you have a genuine problem and discover you can't attend the show after buying leasing it, you can surrender your lease (ticket) back to the band's ticket agent for face value minus a realistic and fair admin charge.

Plus, any band could do this without a change in the government regs just by making the part of the T & Cs, re. the ticket agent and the punter.......

Some bands do this, like Springsteen or AC/DC who sell their best seats at far below an acceptable market value or when bands play venues much smaller than they are capable of filling.

Miley Cyrus tried this and went from instant sellout to 90% overnight.

The thing is...

High profile immediate sellout high demand events are the exception, not the rule. Something like half of all event tickets go unsold. When brokers buy tickets, it transfers the risk out of the promoters hands. It's good for bands and promoters because at least someone is buying the tickets. It's also good for the more discriminating consumer because they are able to attend an event for far less than the original asking price.

Tickets in the first few rows are more often than not being sold directly by the band so all the broker site is receiving is their usual 10% (or in the case of StubHub 25%) commission.

And regardless of who is selling these tickets, exhorbitant prices on premium seats serve a purpose of making overpriced harder sell back of lower bowl tickets seem more reasonable at only a fraction of the cost.

I know your average consumer goes to a few events a year tops and some are willing to pay much more to have what they percieve as a better experience. As a veteran of literally thousands of concerts, I don't get hung up on terms like "face value." I decide what the event is worth to me and go from there.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1532
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home