Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: OT: U2 officially announce world tour
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 4, 2014 18:29

Doxa
Happy24

So why did The Stones do the European stadium tour this summer?

Well, it is interesting that the pattern which seemingly applied for American market was not continued in Europe. European leg was pretty much 'traditional' stadium tour with (almost dramatically) lower ticket prices and bigger crowds. I don't know why.

It could be that the experience they had from America wasn't so pleasing one as they had wished for. They had some problems in selling out the shows, and probably AEG was not too happy with the results either. It is also rumoured that the European arena tour later in the year (2013) did not happen since they couldn't find a promoter. Then who knows if Jagger simply wasn't too into performing to rather lame crowds (some reports seem to claim that expensive seats seemed to dictate rather much the nature of the audience) and was more thrilled with his festival crowd experiences in England. (We also remember the hassle Mick's will to have T3 ticket holders in the front of stage in Hyde Park caused). Probably he just likes bigger, more enthusiastic crowds? Another thing to consider is that there is not so big arenas in Europe as there are in America.

My picture still is that the new concept they tried in America wasn't simply so successful as they hoped for and therby they took back the old and safe one (to get that, say, 5 million bucks per gig).

Anyway, who knows if U2 took the lesson from Stones' America tour and don't try so much barbrastreisendize the ticket prices. They sound high, but still rather moderate compared to Stones' prices (if memory serves).

- Doxa

I don't know what the reason is, but if you look at Sprigsteen, he pretty much always does arena shows in the US and 90 percent (or more) of his European gigs are at stadiums. Also U2 did the Vetrigo tour in arenas in the US and outdoors in Europe. During the Elevation tour they played arenas both in the US and Europe, but with outdoor gigs thrown in between in Europe. But Bruce is the most clear example of this. So it probably goes down do different markets, but I am no expert on this. As for the current U2 tour, as somebody already pointed out, it looks like the concept is to play two different shows in each city, which is way more logical in arenas than 2 stadium shows in each city. If you look at the schedule, there is a 1 week gap between each city, so most likely second double concerts will be placed there in most cities, which will make it 2 concert nights + 2 days off. An interesting concept, I am looking forward to seeing what it brings.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 4, 2014 18:42

Tickets in London are not too expensive apparently they start at 30.quid. Will give it a try. They are not my favourite band, but I believe it will be a good show.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 4, 2014 18:48

desertblues68
Tickets in London are not too expensive apparently they start at 30.quid. Will give it a try. They are not my favourite band, but I believe it will be a good show.

I think I'd be up for the same experience this time...as long as the sound is good.

I have no burning desire to see the band up close for hundreds of dollars.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 4, 2014 18:51

treaclefingers
desertblues68

I think I'd be up for the same experience this time...as long as the sound is good.

I have no burning desire to see the band up close for hundreds of dollars.
Yeah not really bothered about being close to the stage and it looks like the stage is in the middle at the I2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-04 19:12 by desertblues68.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 4, 2014 19:08

could not care less

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: December 4, 2014 19:12

Tate
I have loved every U2 show I have seen... $300 per ticket... those days are over for me... Unless it is in my living room.

Ditto here. I've seen U2 several times, starting with the Zoo era. They are special but not $350+ special.

Posted by: shack1 ()
Date: December 4, 2014 19:16

Seen them in 87 / 01 / 05 / 09.

2001 Elevation arena tour knocked spots off the rest. Fabulous atmosphere and the band were on great form. They were still hungry in 87 but they refused to use screens saying "its all about the music", hence the stadium shows were a little difficult. How times changed what with their stage shows... 05 and 09 were not their best tours by a long shot.

As someone pointed out earlier, they seem to crave being relevant, whatever that represents. It sounds like they have remade the latest album many times over to result in what sounds like a basic set of tunes. Start and end are good, not struck on the middle four/five.

To be fair, U2 have always tried to keep ticket prices down, yes there will be some premium seats, but there are plenty of affordable seats rising from £30 in the UK.

I Love The Stones, but U2 are just more of an old acquaintance these days.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: December 4, 2014 19:29

frankotero
Very interesting to read peoples views on Bono. Some of them I totally agree with and others not so much. Personally I've always thought he was trying to be like John Lennon is some type of way, just modernized with a similar if not same agenda. In this way I like him for trying to help or save the world. On the other hand I don't like to hear him sing out several hallelujah's during songs I normally love (in concert). Not that I'm against God, quite the opposite actually, but I don't need to hear about it either, not at a Rock And Roll show. The Stones obviously wouldn't do this, though I doubt they're against religion. Very smart of them to keep these things private. Back to U2 music, I hope the next album is more rocking since it's titled Experienced. I keep my fingers crossed.

His birthday is coming up, correct? - Dec 25 - day Jesus (Bono) was born

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 4, 2014 20:11

Ha-ha Alhavu1. My Wife says the same thing. I'm still not going to listen though.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 4, 2014 20:50

i love U2, i've seen most of their tours since i started listening to them in 81.

my problem is that starting somewhere around the late 90's the show turned into "singalong with bono night"

i get that its awesome that 50,000 people are on their feet,know every word to every song but at some point people need to shut the hell up..

singing a chorus is one thing but the roar of thousands of voices overrides the band at some point-normally the lead singer will let you know when its time to singalong.it seems alot of these people who jumped on the U2 train along the way think its karaoke night.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: December 4, 2014 21:27

Sounds a bit like they are kind of borrowing slightly from the Stones model of 2002, with multi-night stands in towns, more than one night in a city, maybe making the travel a little bit easier on the band, and putting a bit of variety in the set lists? Remember how the Stones hyped it that way, in 2002, that you were getting a different type of show?

If you start U2 from the beginning of their Vegas years, and the Stones of 2002 at that point in their Vegas years, both bands are at about the same point in the timeline by now. The stage show can't get any bigger or more elaborate, the travel is a drag for aging guys, and maximizing the money is super important.

Definite parallels to 2002 in my mind.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: December 4, 2014 22:20

Happy24
Doxa
Happy24
America.

I don't know what the reason is, but if you look at Sprigsteen, he pretty much always does arena shows in the US and 90 percent (or more) of his European gigs are at stadiums.

Bruce managed to enrage a third (or more) of his U.S. fans with his politics in recent years. Not only doesn't he play stadiums here anymore he often has a hard time selling out an 18,000 arena.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 4, 2014 23:10

rbk
Happy24
Doxa
Happy24
America.

I don't know what the reason is, but if you look at Sprigsteen, he pretty much always does arena shows in the US and 90 percent (or more) of his European gigs are at stadiums.

Bruce managed to enrage a third (or more) of his U.S. fans with his politics in recent years. Not only doesn't he play stadiums here anymore he often has a hard time selling out an 18,000 arena.
That's a largely bogus assertion.

He played American baseball and football stadiums two years ago and sold out a good many of them, and had the most-attended tour of that year.

[en.wikipedia.org]

There were a few dates down south that didn't sell out...no surprise there, as they hate EVIL LIBRULS! But then, they also have no taste in music, so no great loss either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-04 23:13 by keefriff99.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 5, 2014 00:02

i loved u2 in the 80,s and never thought anyone came close to what they produced from 1980-87. i saw them in 1987 and it was a great experience but not the setlist i would have chosen, recent setlists i dont really dig as i feel all thier really good stuff is left out, but a friend who saw them a couple of years ago said that i would still know most songs from any u2 gig.

i dont like the fact people bypass discussing u2,s music and instead pass over quickly to how much they hate bono, is he that bad, are all other bands lead singers perfect, jagger in the past has acted like a bit of a clown at times but we forgive him. i loved all u2 stuff from 1980-84, some great albums, from boy, october, war and the unforgettable fire, some great concerts full of high energy and passion especially live at redrocks in 1983. these were times when the band had no peers, and obviously they havent been nearly as good since.

strangely i started to neglect u2 when i discovered the stones in the late 80,s, and i believe the stones have produced the best and most varied rock music ever more consistently than anyone and for longer(sbout 20 years), but u2 for 4 years were untouchable, and if i could pick the setlist for a u2 gig would be delighted to see them again.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 5, 2014 00:39

I'm going to bed and have a goodnight sleep. U2thumbs downthumbs downthumbs downthumbs downthumbs downthumbs downthumbs downthumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-05 00:40 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 5, 2014 02:41

lem motlow

my problem is that starting somewhere around the late 90's the show turned into "singalong with bono night"

i get that its awesome that 50,000 people are on their feet,know every word to every song but at some point people need to shut the hell up..

lmfao. Yeah I could see how that might be a tad bit irritating. Very interesting and funny observation.

peace

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: December 5, 2014 03:38

Can't stand them.
Bono is nauseating and I just can't get into a band that doesn't have a legitimate rock or blues bases guitar player. The edge is just horrible. If there's anyone out there that DOESN'T deserve a nickname its him

Posted by: shack1 ()
Date: December 5, 2014 11:23

theanchorman
Can't stand them.
Bono is nauseating and I just can't get into a band that doesn't have a legitimate rock or blues bases guitar player. The edge is just horrible. If there's anyone out there that DOESN'T deserve a nickname its him

The Edge also needs to realise that we know he's bald. He's fooling no-one with that stupid hat. And he dresses like a ****.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: December 5, 2014 11:43

Amusing to see all the effort some people put in hating U2:-) Makes me laugh.
I like what I like and what I don't like I really don't bother with.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 5, 2014 14:41

alhavu1
frankotero
Very interesting to read peoples views on Bono. Some of them I totally agree with and others not so much. Personally I've always thought he was trying to be like John Lennon is some type of way, just modernized with a similar if not same agenda. In this way I like him for trying to help or save the world. On the other hand I don't like to hear him sing out several hallelujah's during songs I normally love (in concert). Not that I'm against God, quite the opposite actually, but I don't need to hear about it either, not at a Rock And Roll show. The Stones obviously wouldn't do this, though I doubt they're against religion. Very smart of them to keep these things private. Back to U2 music, I hope the next album is more rocking since it's titled Experienced. I keep my fingers crossed.

His birthday is coming up, correct? - Dec 25 - day Jesus (Bono) was born

Jesus wasn't born on December 25th.

WC Fields died on December 25th, 1946 - the day Jimmy Buffett was born.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 5, 2014 14:43

Turning To Gold
Sounds a bit like they are kind of borrowing slightly from the Stones model of 2002, with multi-night stands in towns, more than one night in a city, maybe making the travel a little bit easier on the band, and putting a bit of variety in the set lists? Remember how the Stones hyped it that way, in 2002, that you were getting a different type of show?

If you start U2 from the beginning of their Vegas years, and the Stones of 2002 at that point in their Vegas years, both bands are at about the same point in the timeline by now. The stage show can't get any bigger or more elaborate, the travel is a drag for aging guys, and maximizing the money is super important.

Definite parallels to 2002 in my mind.

Maybe.

At least U2 are still recording new records...

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 5, 2014 15:04

shack1
theanchorman
Can't stand them.

The Edge also needs to realise that we know he's bald. He's fooling no-one with that stupid hat. And he dresses like a ****.

What hat?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 5, 2014 15:04

Got GA for both Berlin concerts. I admit that I was way more excited when I got my GA for Rolling Stones in Berlin this year, but this still feels really good :-)

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 5, 2014 15:36

bobo
Stones fans are threatened by any band that can still fill stadiums and isn't looked at strictly as a nostalgia act.

The fact that U2 surpassed the Stones for the top-grossing tour of all-time only made the die-hards here hate them more.

You see the same hateful vitriol heaped on Springsteen and McCartney here. It's pretty sad actually, and EXTREMELY transparent.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 5, 2014 15:58

Come On
OK, second most famous Gibson Explorer user is on Tour again soon...

Who's #1?
(just curious).

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 5, 2014 16:28

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:52 by camper88.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: December 5, 2014 17:56

keefriff99
bobo
Stones fans are threatened by any band that can still fill stadiums and isn't looked at strictly as a nostalgia act.

The fact that U2 surpassed the Stones for the top-grossing tour of all-time only made the die-hards here hate them more.

You see the same hateful vitriol heaped on Springsteen and McCartney here. It's pretty sad actually, and EXTREMELY transparent.

Very true. Agree on all points. I mean, top-grossing tour? Come on, what does it really matter for us. Should it make us proud or something? Just sayin'. Have a good weekend you all:-)

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 5, 2014 18:14

Luck o' the Irish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-09 23:19 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 5, 2014 19:07

camper88
What's this tour called? Haters Gonna Hate?

I guess it's not surprising that Stones fans have strong reactions to non-Stones music and bands, but "hate" is a pretty strong word for U2, Bono, the Edge, etc.

Like most bands, they have their good and they have their bad . . .

Full disclosure, I've seen them once live--Pop Mart tour--and was completely bored by it.

wasn't a great tour...my least favourite of their shows. if you like them enough, give them another chance in concert. they are pretty damn good.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: December 5, 2014 19:51

alhavu1
FeelTheFire
Most overrated band in the world......after the horrible INXS.

No, that would be the Beatles. But you are close!

Wow, so you're going to go there.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1703
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home