Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 18
Re: RIP Bobby Keys
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 3, 2014 20:15

A tribute to Bobby:

[docs.google.com]

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: December 3, 2014 20:18

Deltics
Bobby and Amber.

Posted by Amber on Facebook.

I hope she is going to be alright. Stay strong.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: December 3, 2014 20:19

R.I.P. Bobby Keys.

Condolances to the family and friends.

I have really enjoyed your music for many years.

Posted by: 199763 ()
Date: December 3, 2014 20:33

Mick and Bobby...really sweet !!!

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: December 3, 2014 20:57

omg.. RIP Bobby... Thank you for all.. You will be missed..

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 3, 2014 21:59

Blog posting in tribute the man.

"As a reminder of his immense talent, and as a tribute to the memory of one of the legends of Rock, here is a performance with his own band, The Suffering Bastards, recorded live at a gig at The Cannery Ballroom in Nashville on February 11, 2012.

RIP Bobby Keys – the song lives on.

Play loud – he would appreciate it, and it’s the least you can do."

Suffering Bastards Live Soundboard

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 3, 2014 22:23

Send It To me
The man LIVED his life, and that is always inspiring

I don't know that much about him, but that's the impression I've gotten.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 3, 2014 23:32

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:53 by camper88.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 3, 2014 23:39

A topsy turvy year in Stonesland that's for sure..........Great tour(s) vs L'wren, Bobby Keys and Ian McClagan........wow..........

Posted by: exil ()
Date: December 3, 2014 23:42

what a loss,Big man big sound.Cheers for the rock Bobby.

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 4, 2014 00:16

I'm a new contributor to IORR. I first became a fan of the Stones when I attended the 1st show (other than the Dec 7 Fort Collins 'test' show) of the 1969 US Tour, Dec 8, at the Forum in LA. The second show of the evening. BB King and Ike & Tina Turner opened. The Stones took the stage around 3AM and the sun was rising when we headed to our cars.

I wasn't a fan at the time, so I took my trusty Bolex 8mm motion picture camera with me so I'd have something to do. I left a complete convert. I didn't know what to expect when I got there, and had no idea what I just seen when I left. All I knew was I was totally blown away.

Every time I listen to Ya Ya's I think about what the MSG audience that was raised on Ruby Tuesday and Lady Jane must have been thinking when the band tore into JJF to open their set.

I had the good fortune of assisting Annie Leibovitz, the Stones' 1975 TOTA photographer, when the they were rehearsing in Montauk Long Island, and during their iconic 5-night stand at the Forum. By then I was a hopeless Stones fan and relished the opportunity to spend time close to the band. The over-riding memory, and I have lots of memories from that experience, is how approachable they all were.

Over the years I became a student of the Stones and how they got to where they are today. I am a huge fan of Mick Taylor and I am a huge fan of Bobby Keys. As far as I am concerned, Keys was, and always will be, a Rolling Stone. This morning I listened to the Bob Clearmountain remix of YCAGWYW from the Forest Hall, Brussels, Nov 17 1973 show. (IMHO the best recorded Stones concert ever). Keys' solo is so pure and simple, it makes me want to cry.

The people the Stones have brought into their immediate circle, and keep in that circle, is legendary. Lisa Fischer, Chuck Leavell, Bernard Fowler, Blondie Chapman, Jim Price, Bobby Keys, Darryl Jones, and others, lend depth and texture to the front line and the rhythm section, and they set the Stones aside from other rock & roll units.

The loss of Bobby Keys is huge. The Stones are more than the sum of its parts, and Mr. Keys was, and will remain through his early contributions...Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, a primary instigator at Nellcote and in Exile; and his presence on tours, french hotel bathtubs, and a customs inspection station with a 'medicinal rattle' in his horn...was a major part of the huge Sones legacy. Bobby Keys was a one-of-a-kind and will be deeply missed.

I wasn't in Oz or NZ to personally hear the musician the boys invited to join them when Mr Keys was too ill to participate. But I like what I heard on the IORR posts and hope that if they plan on keeping him on board, the fans will give him a chance and accept him.

I go back and forth between 'should they hang it up?' and 'let's rock and roll!' I suspect it will take time for the band, especially Keith, to get over the loss of Bobby Keys. Lisa called him her 'sweet angel' in a post she uploaded yesterday.

We are all the poorer for this, but let's celebrate the fact we have him with us in recordings and films. And let's celebrate that the Stones,in spite of the debauchery and craziness they were famous for, kept recordings and motion picture film negatives of their 1969 - 1975 shows in good shape so those of us who were there can enjoy them now, and so those who weren't can experience what it was like back in the day.BTW..the other night I watched my 200' or so of 8mm Ektachrome film I shot at the 1969 Forum show. There isn't a lot of difference between now and then. Yes,the stages are much larger and they have backups. But other than being grayer, there ain't much difference in the intensity level...on stage and in the audience...between now and then.

Long Live the Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World. The soundtrack of our generation!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-04 00:21 by 1969Fan.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 4, 2014 00:28

it seemed like bobby was always there-and it made it easy to take him for granted.for me it wasnt only the countless stones shows but the other times,the new barbarians shows that i saw, the ones with keiths wino's and you just figured that he would always be around...and now he's gone.

for a stones fan its really just almost unbearable.rip bobby,we'll miss you brother.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: December 4, 2014 00:41

I'm just so sad to hear this I was waiting to see him again next year. God bless you, thanks for all the memories.....

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 4, 2014 00:43

RIP Bobby. sad smiley sad smiley sad smiley

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 4, 2014 00:51

Rest In Peace Bobby Keys.

Posted by: Jon Lasaa ()
Date: December 4, 2014 00:55

Hi all.

Terrible loss.
Very sad.

Thank so much for all those magic moments.

Rest in Peace, Bobby.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: December 4, 2014 01:11

Rest in peace Bobby ,Thanks for the many highlights you gave us

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: December 4, 2014 01:34

Very sad news.
RIP Bobby

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 4, 2014 01:50

Words don't come easy.
Bobby.
but I was blown away the first time I heard you - The Bootleg - Welcome to New York LP - Y,C,A,G,W,Y,W.- About 5 seconds in After Mick says 'Alright We Are going to do one now for every body that .that every body that does not have nobody anywhere - whats all torches going on over there, cheu, ......music then Bobby's sax, ... [About 5 Seconds in..absolutley sublime] This will remain with me forever. Thank you for being a massive part of the soundtrack of my life. Words don't come easy.Thank You.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: December 4, 2014 02:27

Roskilde, last show. I meant last show I saw him. Sorry for toss up smiling smiley

Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: December 4, 2014 04:43

In all the sadness, I do find some happiness in the fact that he was able to participate in the 14 tour. I bet that was very meaningful to Bobby as well as the Stones.

Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: December 4, 2014 07:15

Nice comment from 1969Fan but one big mistake.

Bobby did not play at the Brussels concerts on 17 October 1973.

He was fired from the tour few days before by Mick Jagger.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 4, 2014 08:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:52 by camper88.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 4, 2014 08:35

Im gonna take a cold Dom Perignon bath in his memory. If I go broke so be it.

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 4, 2014 08:54

camper88
MidnightGambler
Nice comment from 1969Fan but one big mistake.

Bobby did not play at the Brussels concerts on 17 October 1973.

He was fired from the tour few days before by Mick Jagger.

Just my own personal, that was Mick's mistake.

Great comment from 1969Fan. Deep thanks for that.

IIRC Bobby said in his book that he wasn't fired. He left.

Posted by: CaptainGlassback ()
Date: December 4, 2014 11:47

Sincere condolences to family and friends. He's left a big footprint on my music collection!

Posted by: sabata ()
Date: December 4, 2014 12:54

I love these pics. I don't know when and where
RIP Bobby

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 4, 2014 13:02

andrewt
Blog posting in tribute the man.

"As a reminder of his immense talent, and as a tribute to the memory of one of the legends of Rock, here is a performance with his own band, The Suffering Bastards, recorded live at a gig at The Cannery Ballroom in Nashville on February 11, 2012.

RIP Bobby Keys – the song lives on.

Play loud – he would appreciate it, and it’s the least you can do."

Suffering Bastards Live Soundboard

See and hear him here.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 4, 2014 13:27

Another video to remember Bobby Keys

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-04 13:28 by mtaylor.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 4, 2014 13:28

Bluesstone
On the first Hyde Park Show in 2013 I had travelled to London with a bunch of friends, we were thrilled when the band started playing and we sang and danced our way into the concert.
Then, when the sun had set down a bit, they started playing Miss You and when Bobby Keys started his sax solo was the moment we all lost it completely. It was so gut-hitting and magical, I still remember how that sound hit me right through my entire body and filled me up with an incredible amount of pure joy. It took the song to a totally different level, we all were really elevated and went bananas.
I will not forget that moment and every time I put on the Hyde Park album version of Sweet Summer Sun (it's not the Miss You Version on the DVD) I can listen to that incredible Sax again and remember this night in London!
Thank you for that special moment, Bobby!

Yes, the sax solo on Miss You from the Sweet Summer Sun CD is absolutely stunning.

Another sax solo from Bobby Keys I rediscovered while watching Hampton DVD is on Let It Bleed :

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2208
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home