Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...90919293949596979899100...LastNext
Current Page: 95 of 168
Re: The Rolling Stones live in 2015
Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: March 16, 2015 18:50

Interesting they are playing Bobby Dodd in Atlanta. There are other stadiums in the area like turner field. The sound at bobby dodd is terrible! Even during football games the echo is atrocious. Oh well im going if they are coming!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 16, 2015 18:50

bv
rbk
God what a bunch of whiners. The Stones are in their seventies and are not going to be able to do this again. Everyone of the markets that have been rumored for this tour have a longstanding history with the band who obviously don't need the money but do enjoy playing live. This tour is a way of thanking all of those people like they did down under last year and in Asia before that and Europe before that and in the OTHER American markets before that. They might do one offs in LA, London or New York in the next few years but for the big spectacle Stones show this is it. This is all she wrote.

Of course the only way they're going to reach the number of fans that want to see them is to play stadiums. These markets are smaller and far more spread out and are lower population wise compared to NYC, Toronto, DC, Chicago and LA. The cost of living in these places is lower so the people's incomes are proportionately lower as well. Hence, more people at a lower ticket price, one last time. Simple economics. These markets are more like those in Europe where the Stones played virtually all stadiums and festivals as well. O2 notwithstanding nary a basketball or hockey venue in the bunch.

We'll know in a few days but I'm guessing the high-rollers who doled out $250 to $600 for middling tickets in the US in 2013 are going to be shocked. These shows will be priced to sell or else there would be no point in doing them.

Best post of the year! I could not agree more. And this is the reason why I will spend the summer in North America. You only live once.
With all respect to you BV I really doubt the cities listed are the cities European fans like yourself want to visit in The US this summer.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 16, 2015 18:58

Rokyfan

The question is what does "priced to sell"mean? If tickets are generally under $100, that would be "priced to sell," to me, in those markets given the number of tickets to be sold. I can't see there being much of a demand for higher-priced tickets than that. And as glimmergirl pointed out, the Stones are protected from these issues once the contract is signed. They get their guarantee, the promoters take all the risk.

Pricing is likely going to depend on the size of the venue. For example Petco Park in San Diego with a concert capacity of 45,000 and drawing from LA is going to be priced much differently than Ohio Stadium or the former Rich Stadium which can hold nearly twice as many.

I wonder if some of the really big weekend dates are going to have strong openers as well. Someone who would share the stage with the Stones for a reduced fee yet help sell a million dollars or so worth of tickets.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 16, 2015 18:59

Columbus 100,000 capacity? Man, wouldn't it be amazing if the stones sold it out?

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: March 16, 2015 18:59

RockinJive
DoomandGloom
They should announce this tour schedule on April 1st as it's an "April Fools" joke. IT's unlikely they'll fill stadiums in such small market cities. The Stones are avoiding the entire East Coast of the country. Boston, New York, Philly, Baltimore that's where the money and a good part of their fan base is. Maybe Mick Taylor decided he didn't want to spend his summer in Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Milwaukee and declined the tour. Whatever the reasoning they are misguided, an organization that usually gets things right is marching off in a whimper, avoiding Vegas, LA as well... Only conclusion they must not think very much of their show.

What an idiotical post. Taylor didn't want to go to these citys?

Could not agree more- total nonsense

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:03

To those of you complaining about not having anything to do in cities like Buffalo, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Orlando, San Diego etc...That's a reflection on you. Not on these cities.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Date: March 16, 2015 19:05

Do we know when tickets are going on sale?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-16 19:05 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: March 16, 2015 19:08

DoomandGloom
bv
rbk
God what a bunch of whiners. The Stones are in their seventies and are not going to be able to do this again. Everyone of the markets that have been rumored for this tour have a longstanding history with the band who obviously don't need the money but do enjoy playing live. This tour is a way of thanking all of those people like they did down under last year and in Asia before that and Europe before that and in the OTHER American markets before that. They might do one offs in LA, London or New York in the next few years but for the big spectacle Stones show this is it. This is all she wrote.

Of course the only way they're going to reach the number of fans that want to see them is to play stadiums. These markets are smaller and far more spread out and are lower population wise compared to NYC, Toronto, DC, Chicago and LA. The cost of living in these places is lower so the people's incomes are proportionately lower as well. Hence, more people at a lower ticket price, one last time. Simple economics. These markets are more like those in Europe where the Stones played virtually all stadiums and festivals as well. O2 notwithstanding nary a basketball or hockey venue in the bunch.

We'll know in a few days but I'm guessing the high-rollers who doled out $250 to $600 for middling tickets in the US in 2013 are going to be shocked. These shows will be priced to sell or else there would be no point in doing them.

Best post of the year! I could not agree more. And this is the reason why I will spend the summer in North America. You only live once.
With all respect to you BV I really doubt the cities listed are the cities European fans like yourself want to visit in The US this summer.

Both sides make a valid point.
The fact they are touring period will make the summer special.
On the flip side, besides Dallas, the cities and venues are secondary markets and not exactly prime spots.

At the end of the day it will come down to how well the shows sell.
Personally, I think they would have an easier time selling Dodgers Stadium in LA and Metlife stadium in NY over RWS in Buffalo and Columbus.
We shall see.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:14

DoomandGloom

Depends how interested you are in life. Most of the cities are good for a day or 2 of sightseeing, or a road excursion, or just chilling. If you can survive Duesseldorf, you can survive Orlando. And I think budget-conscious European fans would be grateful to be in relatively low-cost areas, especially as the euro slides to USD parity.

Posted by: jackflash1129 ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:17

tatters
DoomandGloom
RockinJive
DoomandGloom
They should announce this tour schedule on April 1st as it's an "April Fools" joke. IT's unlikely they'll fill stadiums in such small market cities. The Stones are avoiding the entire East Coast of the country. Boston, New York, Philly, Baltimore that's where the money and a good part of their fan base is. Maybe Mick Taylor decided he didn't want to spend his summer in Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Milwaukee and declined the tour. Whatever the reasoning they are misguided, an organization that usually gets things right is marching off in a whimper, avoiding Vegas, LA as well... Only conclusion they must not think very much of their show.

What an idiotical post. Taylor didn't want to go to these citys?
I wasn't serious about that but this list is dreadful. No way Mick Jagger would visit Detroit or Pittsburgh if he weren't playing there, a guy who pays beautiful people to attend to avoid looking at an old bald audience in the front rows. I hope I am dead wrong and they sell out these football parks during the summer when gasoline is 3 dollars a gallon and the economy is sputtering in these cities. Not only New York but how do they manage to avoid the entire East Coast? Philly has been one of their strongholds for decades. Maybe Charlie will smack some sense into them.

You guys got your shows last year, or the year before, or whenever it was. This year, in cities where they haven't played for 10 years or longer, it's our turn. I'm sure you'll get yours next year. Looks like it's going to be one of those Macca-style never-ending tours .... at least until the wheels all fall off.

Exactly! I saw the stones last time they came to Detroit in 05 and its been ten years. Id be frustrated if they skipped us this tour. Ive been dying to see them again ever since that day I saw them in 05. I was 12 at the time, my dad took me. One of the greatest moments of my life.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:19

From a strictly planning perspective, wouldn't it be more time efficient for the Stones to do Santa Clara rather than the other east coast show it could be swapped with? Also, that area of the east coast is getting more shows than the west coast, by far. Just my thoughts

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:21

I haven’t been following this thread, so someone please bring me up to speed. No Mick Taylor on a Sticky Fingers tour? Is that correct?

If so, pretty disappointing.

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:26

Why in the world would men in their 70's tour the United States in stadiums in the middle of the hot, humid summer?? Not to mention if it rains AND it's humid--say like in ATL or Raleigh in June/July. Horrible.

Also don't like the theme of the tour being a 44-year-old album. Bands like Styx did that. And Alice Cooper a few years ago with the 'No More Mr. Nice Guy' tour. Love Alice but that's sad. Admitting that you are nothing more than a nostalgia band playing songs from 40-50 years ago.

I also agree that stadiums are not going to come anywhere near selling out, even if the tickets are $50.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-16 19:44 by ZantiMisfit.

Date: March 16, 2015 19:27

DeanGoodman
DoomandGloom

Depends how interested you are in life. Most of the cities are good for a day or 2 of sightseeing, or a road excursion, or just chilling. If you can survive Duesseldorf, you can survive Orlando. And I think budget-conscious European fans would be grateful to be in relatively low-cost areas, especially as the euro slides to USD parity.
You'll see how interested you are in life when you go out on the town in the summertime in Detroit. A city that is essentially a ghetto during what has become a race war in these places. The idea that any of these poorer places are low cost is also off the mark... The reverse is true, you'd want to stay in the very best hotel in a place like Buffalo on the outskirts you'll find a roadside motel will mix section 8 welfare tenants with travelers. Maybe a midnight after show snack in Pittsburgh is better spent in the fancy hotel bar than roaming the streets. Plus you have to get to these places by private car or taxi since most are on the outskirts. I hate to paint this picture of America's cities but almost all except NY, Boston and LA are loaded with guns, tourists are rare in most on the list.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:31

ZantiMisfit
Why in the world would men in their 70's tour the United States in stadiums in the middle of the hot, humid summer?? Not to mention if it rains AND it's humid--say like in ATL or Raleigh in June/July. Horrible.

Also don't like the theme of the tour being a 44-year-old album. Bands like Styx did that. And Alice Cooper a few years ago with the 'No More Mr. Nice Guy' tour. Love Alice but that's sad. Admitting that you are nothing than a nostalgia band playing songs from 40-50 years ago.

I also agree that stadiums are not going to come anywhere near selling out, even if the tickets are $50.

But it's true whether they want to admit it or not.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:32

JimmyTheSaint
No Mick Taylor on a Sticky Fingers tour? Is that correct?
In 95 pages, no one is yet sure. Absolutely nothing has been set in stone. They said "no Mick Taylor at all and Sticky Fingers played in full." Now they're saying "No Sticky Fingers played in full, and the one or two times it is Mick Taylor has a better chance of being present."

Bottom line, we just gotta wait for the official announcement from everyone.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:33

It is a great schedule. I'd love to see the stones in Milwaukee, Kansas city, raleigh etc etc. I think it's great

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:33

bv
rbk

Seconded.

This summer will be an epic Rolling Stones Summer right here in our backyards.
Bring it!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:35

DoomandGloom
DeanGoodman
DoomandGloom

You'll see how interested you are in life when you go out on the town in the summertime in Detroit. A city that is essentially a ghetto during what has become a race war in these places. The idea that any of these poorer places are low cost is also off the mark... The reverse is true, you'd want to stay in the very best hotel in a place like Buffalo on the outskirts you'll find a roadside motel will mix section 8 welfare tenants with travelers. Maybe a midnight after show snack in Pittsburgh is better spent in the fancy hotel bar than roaming the streets. Plus you have to get to these places by private car or taxi since most are on the outskirts. I hate to paint this picture of America's cities but almost all except NY, Boston and LA are loaded with guns, tourists are rare in most on the list.
You obviously haven't been to Detroit in a long time, downtown where this show will take place is booming the last few years with lots of young people, shops, and bars. I spent the whole day downtown last October for Pearl Jam at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit and everyone had a blast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-16 19:35 by mnewman505.

Posted by: dlowe ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:36

mnewman505
DoomandGloom
DeanGoodman
DoomandGloom

You obviously haven't been to Detroit in a long time, downtown where this show will take place is booming the last few years with lots of young people, shops, and bars. I spent the whole day downtown last October for Pearl Jam at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit and everyone had a blast.

Agreed. The picture painted is broad generalizations, not based in fact. How can there be anything but excitement for the "special" (ahem, as bv previously said) summer ahead of us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-16 19:40 by dlowe.

Posted by: jackflash1129 ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:39

Dan
ZantiMisfit

Also don't like the theme of the tour being a 44-year-old album. Bands like Styx did that. And Alice Cooper a few years ago with the 'No More Mr. Nice Guy' tour. Love Alice but that's sad. Admitting that you are nothing than a nostalgia band playing songs from 40-50 years ago.

But it's true whether they want to admit it or not.

I wonder what exactly people expect. Is it really reasonable to expect a bunch of guys in their seventies pumping out hit records all the time? Of course not. They could put out new material sure like McCartney and Dylan, but the stones know its not what the majority of fans want in a concert.Their legacy is the band that will rock till they drop. And thats fine by me. The band is not focused on having hit singles like in the 60s or hit albums like in the 70s and 80s. The stones primary focus since Steel wheels has been on the live concert production, and they are better ar it than anybody else. Long live the stones!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:40

How Doomy and Gloomy do you have to be to be telling the inventor of the boards, the man who has seen the Stones in these or similar venues many times before, and who is stating that he is looking forward to again, that "with all due respect... you're wrong"...

Ridiculously doomy and gloomy if you ask me.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:47

I love how all the trolls show up when it's tour time!

Date: March 16, 2015 19:49

MisterDDDD
How Doomy and Gloomy do you have to be to be telling the inventor of the boards, the man who has seen the Stones in these or similar venues many times before, and who is stating that he is looking forward to again, that "with all due respect... you're wrong"...

He can take a little argument from time to time. This is a discussion but I will let up I've said all I can say about the schedule and my hesitation to visit these cities. BTW.... You completely misquoted me so there's that.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:50

My needs are basic. I love the Stones, and I love real people. Normal people. I have been on tour for Rolling Stones shows in Wichita, Lousville, Missoula, Regina, Hartford, Sacramento, Glendale, the list is long, but I don't go to these places to drink or do sightseeing or any kinds of tourist stuff. In fact I panic if I am on 5th Avenue more than five minutes, or may God forbid Rodeo Drive, Disneyland (never been there) or any such places. I like the local joint where the same people sit next to me every day, where they see I am the stranger the first time I am there, but after that I am one of them, same service, no extras, no buzz.

The secondary markets shows have been amazing. Wichita, Regina, Missoula. They don't make a lot of noise saying "We want Mick Taylor for ten songs" or "The show should last for 3 hours" or "three hundred dollars is way too much. They did only serve Pepsi Cola in Wichita because it was a Sunday but it was a great, great show without any beer drinking.

I do know Chicago, Miami, Boston, NYC, LA, SF and a bunch of other larger cities are jealous and think it is a total waste to play in the cities the Stones are approving now, but that is the whole point. The Stones are geographically communists. They practice equal rights for all people, all states and all areas to see them. They could have performed 15 ARENA shows with the same income in LA, LV, CHI, NYC, but they choose to perform in front of 2-3 times as many people in larger venues. Just like in Europe summer 2014. Those shows were great, I don't travel as a tourist, but as a fan, and I love to meet other fans, any place, large or small.

Bjornulf

TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT THIS THURSDAY (19 MARCH)
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: March 16, 2015 18:43

If this is already here somewhere, sorry but I don't have the time to look for all the posts here.

SOURCE = SOLID

smoking smiley

NOTE: Barring any unforseen illness/bad things happening.eye popping smiley

Date: March 16, 2015 19:54

thumbs up

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:55

Can anyone tell me if it would be dangerous for a european like me to travel alone to three or four shows in the US. I was thinking about Nashville, Orlando, Atlanta and Pittsburgh. Are these dangerous cities?

Date: March 16, 2015 19:57

JumpinJeppeFlash
Can anyone tell me if it would be dangerous for a european like me to travel alone to three or four shows in the US. I was thinking about Nashville, Orlando, Atlanta and Pittsburgh. Are these dangerous cities?

You will be fine.
All four cities you mentioned are very nice places.
Like anywhere, each city has good and bad parts buy don't feel afraid.
You will be safe! Don't worry.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:59

MisterDDDD

Bingo on the post! The cities for 2015 will make a great time for those traveling in and doing multiple stops.

Detroit - I had a great time in 2002. Ford field and south to Greektown casino were a blast. Never felt threatened at all.
Pittsburgh - great walking city, and very picturesque coming across the bridge.
Orlando/Tampa - tons of stuff to do, and you can chill out on nearby Clearwater beach. One of the best beaches in the USA.
Columbus - my home town. Great bars, restaurants, clubs, one of the best zoos in USA, good shops for vinyl records, cheap upscale motels. Nobody going to hassle you. Highly recommend staying downtown at The Lofts or Crowne Plaza, or even the Drury. Right next to the arena district. Quite safe.
K.C. - love this city. Saw Springsteen there in maybe 2008 and had a great time.
Nashville - great strip of clubs and restaurants nearby.
Indianapolis - one of my favorite cities in the USA! Downtown is tremendous!

Beats the heck out of the mayhem and madness of the larger cities. I just wish they'd throw in Little Rock, site of the best steak I ever ate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-16 20:03 by josepi.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...90919293949596979899100...LastNext
Current Page: 95 of 168

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home