Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 168
Re: The Rolling Stones live in 2015
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 25, 2015 15:14

Doxa
Hmm.. this thread has turned to be some kind of Ronnie Wood praisal thing... I guess there is some sort of logic in there,

- Doxa

It's not logic at all to me. I was foreseeing a barrage of "MT is God, Wood is bad. Ditch Ron and keep Taylor" messages but no! grinning smiley
Remember a few montgs ago when Mathijs ventured to say that Taylor's playing had flaws (even during the 69-74 era) he was crucified by "taylorites". Where are they now?

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 25, 2015 16:02

This contrast Taylor-Wood is stupid, are two excellent guitarists but very different. Today Wood is part of the band, not Taylor, Taylor took the tour of 50 years as a guest. Possible that we'll see him with the Stones, but you can not, this will depend on Jagger and Richards.

everything's turning to gold

Posted by: OneHourPhoto ()
Date: February 25, 2015 16:26

Stoneage
200 000 views, 1 100 posts and (soon) 40 pages of information about the Stones 2015 tour. And yet we know almost nothing. How is that possible?

And about 950 posts out of the 1100 were people asking about Hyde Park over and over and over and over again

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 25, 2015 17:55

The info in this thread during the last few days is FANTASTIC!
Finally! Forest Hills?! Sticky Fingers?! Contracts and Promoters?!

The thought of summer shows makes me HAPPY, especially with the freezing winter we've had this season. I CAN'T WAIT to be outside and preparing for a Stones show.

At this point no one knows if Mick Taylor will play a role on this upcoming run of shows or not.

Now, at the risk of total annihilation, I can't help but wonder this:

Have the Mick Taylor diehards ruined it for the rest of us by continually bitching about the way he has been used on stage for the last year or two?

With upfront great intentions, and at no fault of his own, has Mick Taylor become too much of a distraction for this role to continue?

In my humble opinion, distraction is the appropriate word, yes.
Talk amongst yourselves...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 25, 2015 18:12

OneHourPhoto
Stoneage
200 000 views, 1 100 posts and (soon) 40 pages of information about the Stones 2015 tour. And yet we know almost nothing. How is that possible?

And about 950 posts out of the 1100 were people asking about Hyde Park over and over and over and over again

Wasn't that a Dave Clark Five song ? winking smiley

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 25, 2015 18:47

I'm so sick of this Taylor debate.

ICYMI: Mick Taylor is not a member of The Stones.
If you're not a fan of these Stones, stay home.

I've seen them play MR 11 times now with Taylor on this tour. And the best solo I've heard on that song this tour was courtesy of Ron Wood. For me Taylor is not an added value.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 25, 2015 19:45

I know it is boring to wait for the tour announcements but I would advice everyone to concentrate on the shows and the tour and not on this endless discussion about who is the better or the worse on guitar, keyboards and so on. It is just boring and destructive, and the Stones make up their own mind anyway.

We are now halfway from the final show in Auckland and until the North American tour start in June. It has been three months of waiting and it is now getting closer to the next tour every day. The countdown has started!

Bjornulf

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: February 25, 2015 19:51

bv
I know it is boring to wait for the tour announcements but I would advice everyone to concentrate on the shows and the tour and not on this endless discussion about who is the better or the worse on guitar, keyboards and so on. It is just boring and destructive, and the Stones make up their own mind anyway.

We are now halfway from the final show in Auckland and until the North American tour start in June. It has been three months of waiting and it is now getting closer to the next tour every day. The countdown has started!

I'm beyond thrilled and thankful that the boys are coming back again to North America, I cannot wait, plan on doing as many shows as possible.

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: February 25, 2015 20:24

They played 3 nights at the United Center in 2013. True, the UC seats around 22,000.

Naturalust
DREAMTIME
I just got a call telling me 3 nights at Forest Hills (14,000) Queens, NYC!
(where they have played before in '65)

Something sounds pretty fishy to me on that one. Three nights at one venue seating only 14,000 just doesn't sound right. When is the last time they have done three nights in any one venue? Sounds like a lot of playing when they could get the same ticket sales from one show at any number of bigger venues in the area. peace

Date: February 25, 2015 20:56

BV

Can you tell us how many cities are rumored?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-25 21:11 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: February 25, 2015 22:23

Donkey Girl Scout
If their North American tour is only June and July, why would they do only stadiums? Sounds like too short a time to bring out a big stadium stage. They have always done the American stadium tours starting late August, early September since 1989 and it went on to sometime in November. you know they won't use the scaled down stages that they use in Europe and etc. I will go no matter anyway. Hoping for a show under 7 hour drive from Norfolk, Va. North Carolina is always fun. Plus I very much want my new wife to see them

My reply is June/July is hot enough to play outside.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 25, 2015 22:49

I think having the ACTUAL Taylor play recently with the Stones has only enhanced Ron Wood's reputation. Ron is not as idiosyncratic and singular as Taylor was, but he's a fine guitarist and face it, has carried a lot of guitar weight in the group. I'm not really hearing much in Taylor's MR solos, of course that could be crappy YouTube audio. Taylor lifted the Stones to their absolute musical heights in the late 60s, early 70s. But Ron is better integrated in the sound. You can appreciate both of them.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: February 26, 2015 00:01

frankotero
I like Ronnie too, but the praise is getting to be a bit much. I'm hoping Mick Taylor will remain, there's room for both. This only strengthens The Stones musically. Think the recent tours proves it.

Frank, is this the same Frank I met in Utrecht at the Vredenburg show???

Date: February 26, 2015 00:20

Do we need to blame Ronnie for anything? If people don't like his playing - fine.

It's a shame that Mick Taylor hasn't been invited to this tour, I really hoped he would have been, especially since he gave us all those thrilling moments on SF.

However, Ronnie can't help being a Rolling Stone. He is. Don't blame him.

And for chrissake, Mick, it's never to late to change your mind!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 00:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: February 26, 2015 01:21

DandelionPowderman
Do we need to blame Ronnie for anything? If people don't like his playing - fine.

It's a shame that Mick Taylor hasn't been invited to this tour, I really hoped he would have been, especially since he gave us all those thrilling moments on SF.

Don't exaggerate. It's not a shame if MT hasn't been invited to this tour.
But it's interesting that you ask MJ so desperately "for chrissake, Mick, it's never to late to change your mind". So you finally acknowledge Mj is leading mor than the tango...?
Or do you realize the band's / KR's decision they did not want him on this tour?

Anyway: you know you have to ask KR to change his mind... you know that..

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 26, 2015 02:41

Getting away from the Wood vs Taylor stuff,l live in Puerto Rico and there are some rumors about The Stones playing here once again,they did PR in 2006 for the first time ever and it was a huge success,the promoter who brought them last time is an old acquaintance,and according to him he is negotiating with the band's representatives for a show,don't know if it will be as part of the North American tour or later on as part of the Latin America leg.
Hoping it pans out....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 26, 2015 03:21

Very bittersweet that there will be live Sticky Fingers without Bobby. I'm curious if they will acknowledge him in some way, possibly photos on the screen, a few words by Mick or Keith. I will be there and I will miss him.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: February 26, 2015 03:48

Stoneburst
24FPS
I think having the ACTUAL Taylor play recently with the Stones has only enhanced Ron Wood's reputation. Ron is not as idiosyncratic and singular as Taylor was, but he's a fine guitarist and face it, has carried a lot of guitar weight in the group. I'm not really hearing much in Taylor's MR solos, of course that could be crappy YouTube audio. Taylor lifted the Stones to their absolute musical heights in the late 60s, early 70s. But Ron is better integrated in the sound. You can appreciate both of them.

Two things:
1) If you're not hearing much in his Rambler solos it's probably because Rambler wasn't a great showcase for him way back when, and it still isn't. It's a bluesy shuffle groove. It doesn't give him any real changes to play over or a strong melody to work with, unlike Sway, YCAGWYW, Knocking (or indeed his work with Dylan, which is some of his best).
2) Wood is better integrated into the band's sound because he gets to play on the whole set, Taylor gets to play on one song.

Good points.

I completely agree that Midnight Rambler is not a very good song to pick if you would really want to showcase Taylor's specific talent as a melodically inventive guitarist. There are at least 20 songs they could have chosen that would have been more suitable for him to play on - and more exciting for the fans to listen to.

Why something as restrictive as Midnight Rambler was selected for Taylor's walk on is quite an interesting question.
It was not Mick Taylor's decision.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 26, 2015 04:00

duke richardson
Taylor's sound and presence has to be very large for him to be presented properly, he is no more a sideman than Wood is a copycat.

i'd like to hear more about your work with Mick and Keith..was it on Dirty Work?
BV wants us to shut up about this guitar stuff and he's right so that's that.. I worked as an assistant and staff engineer for a remix of Harlem Shuffle, Dancing in The Streets, Aretha's Jumping Jack Flash which was produced by Keith and Ron, a few dates for Steel Wheels which I can barely remember for some reason and helped Keith with guitars for a few nights on an Earl Slick record. I probably did some time on Who's The Boss and rehearsed unknowingly next door to The Expensive Winos, calling security on Keith thinking he was a vagrant who snuck in... For years I played a weekly stint at The Saint Marks Bar where they filmed WOAF and one or another would sneak in for a quick pint. They were always really nice to us regular folks. I'd describe them as very gentle, polite people.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 04:06 by DoomandGloom.

Date: February 26, 2015 04:05

From reading all of this does Mick Taylor regret leaving the band? I am happy for him that he got another chance to play with them. Regardless, it was great to hear BOTH him and Ronnie Wood play at the same concert and would have loved one more go around to hear Bill Wyman.
Regardless, we should all be happy there are Stones shows to see in 2015.
Many bands who are much newer aren't even around anymore.

What is the most days off you would take for ONE rolling stones concerts?
Efficient concerts for me are weekend I-95 shows.
A weekeday show is a miminum 2 days of vacation which is welcome when it is NYC or DC as I can combine other things.

I would also love to see them in Memphis and hit some blues open mics and play the Hammond B3 there.Vegas would also be great.
Philadelphia can be good for a show due to the cheesesteaks and Phillies.

Date: February 26, 2015 05:23

Just got off the phone with Dave from Dayton who many of you met at some of the shows over the years. He is looking forward to seeing everyone on the road this summer and is wondering what everyone is up to while sitting around waiting for the stones to tour.

I am trying to allocate my vacation days myself as follows along with my Flying Fish Xtra Pale Ale as follows:

21 vacation days:
3 days for Who shows (including Birthday)
1 day for Neil Diamond show
1 day for John Mellencamp
2 days for Billy Joel shows

3 days every december + potential for 7 days for cruise to Bermuda in October.

Using some high level algebra, that leaves me with 4 Stones days.

Hopefully, this includes some I-95 efficient weekend shows. Those shows get a score of ('0") (ratio of concert/days off)
A Philly show gets a ratio of (1) and a DC/Baltimore show gets a Ratio of (2) .
NYC is around (1.5)

Will skip the boat if I can do more than 4 stones shows.
Sorry to bother everyone. I am going to go back to listening to I'm Going Down from Metamorphis, One Hit To The Body, and No Use IN Crying from my obscurities list.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: February 26, 2015 06:14

[email protected]

NYC is around (1.5)

I'm guessing you can forget about a DC/Baltimore show. DC got a show in 2013 and it's not an important enough market to hit again given that there are more than enough other cities that weren't visited in 2013.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: February 26, 2015 08:08

Roscoe
DREAMTIME
I just got a call telling me 3 nights at Forest Hills (14,000) Queens, NYC!
(where they have played before in '65)

Is there a subway stop near this venue?

yes

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 26, 2015 08:32

swimtothemoon
RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
paulywaul
straycatuk
I would be amazed if they didn't play MSG this time around. Probably one of the few places in the world they could sell out at the very highest ticket prices.

Is there any actual "concrete rumours" that they are planning a SF based set ? What exactly will that mean ?.......

Brown Sugar
Bitch
Dead Flowers
Wild Horses.....................done

Oh! and maybe CYHMK without Taylor or Bobby ? No Thanks.confused smiley

sc uk

Hmm yes, we HAVE heard an awful lot of those over the years - agree.

Yes - not a particularly enthralling prospect, although it IS always a pleasure to hear this song nevertheless ...

thumbs up We shouldn't forget that. The song is more than those two solos..

...ànd Ronnie did a much, múch more-than-decent job with his one, in 2003.

Yes it was good and found on the MSG section of the Four Flicks set.

Ronnie on CYHMK? In my ears he never made the impression that he felt exactly comfortable playing this song, to be honest. Let's praise Ronnie for the things he does/did well, but his CYHMK versions were nothing to get excited about, ranging from disastrous at worst to just quite ok at best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 08:39 by alimente.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 26, 2015 08:43

VERY INPORTANT MESSAGE:

I will DELETE posts NOT related to TOUR 2015 in this thread from now on. Please STAY ON TOPIC, or I will have to close the entire thread. I don't need this thread. Then - before you post the 100th post about your favorite guitar players - do really YOU want to be the reason why this thread was closed?

It is too much spam and non-related smalltalk here now.

Bjornulf

Posted by: JagFan ()
Date: February 26, 2015 09:19

I am really hoping and praying that a 2015 No. American Tour becomes a reality. The sooner I know dates and venues the better! If this truly comes to fruition, I will attend at least 3 of the shows. I don't like flying, (just like our beloved Bill Wyman doesn't), but in this case I'll get over it. Attending any show of this tour would be so special that I wouldn't pass it up for any reason. To have a band that we've been able to enjoy for an entire lifetime is an incredible blessing IMO. They've given so much of themselves and continue to do so. They set an example and really live up to the band's name as The Rolling Stones, and what that name and those words really mean.

Date: February 26, 2015 09:31

Roscoe
[email protected]

NYC is around (1.5)

I'm guessing you can forget about a DC/Baltimore show. DC got a show in 2013 and it's not an important enough market to hit again given that there are more than enough other cities that weren't visited in 2013.

I'm guessing that the Stones will do a Southern/Southwestern US leg that will definitely include Atlanta and Miami (and maybe another large Florida city) as well as Dallas and maybe Phoenix AZ. I think Charlotte, NC is possibly the closest the Stones might play to the DC/ Baltimore area unless the Stones decide to do some unexpected Giants stadium gigs in order to make the numbers work.

Date: February 26, 2015 09:54

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman

Don't exaggerate. It's not a shame if MT hasn't been invited to this tour.
But it's interesting that you ask MJ so desperately "for chrissake, Mick, it's never to late to change your mind". So you finally acknowledge Mj is leading mor than the tango...?
Or do you realize the band's / KR's decision they did not want him on this tour?

Anyway: you know you have to ask KR to change his mind... you know that..

I don't wanna put on a show this time, Dreamer, but I would like to point out that your post is confusing. If Keith had anything to do with this he and Mick are way better friends than I thought...

But you are of course just pedanting about who's the boss here smiling smiley

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: February 26, 2015 10:53

Is there any news about shows in London after North America?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: February 26, 2015 11:03

bv
VERY INPORTANT MESSAGE:

I will DELETE posts NOT related to TOUR 2015 in this thread from now on. Please STAY ON TOPIC, or I will have to close the entire thread. I don't need this thread. Then - before you post the 100th post about your favorite guitar players - do really YOU want to be the reason why this thread was closed?

It is too much spam and non-related smalltalk here now.

Point taken, and good call anyhow.

But don't forget you merged both threads (which have little or nothing to do with each other) in the first place, didn't you... smiling bouncing smiley smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 168

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1208
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home