Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 168
Re: The Rolling Stones live in 2015
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 24, 2015 07:43

buffalo7478
Doing Sticky Fingers material with Ronnie Wood playing lead instead of bringing Taylor and having him play on every song (not just MR) is sad.

Unless Keith suddenly starts playing much better, they could use 3 guitars for the majoring of their material. Keith or Ronnie on an amped up acoustic (which they used with great success in the studio) the other on electric playing rhythm also and Taylor on lead. Get to the post-1974 material and have Ronnie switch to lead and Taylor to rhythm along with Keef.

Is it about money? Their idea who who the Stones are now? Just don't like Taylor or where his playing is at now (though a Taylor fan, listening to some of his MR work on the last tour, it is spotty...like he needed time to settle into the song and string notes together).

thumbs up Yeah he needs a few tunes to warm up and get used to the stage, the audience, his sound and this "new" band he is playing with. Probably part of the reason he won't be included. But I'm still assuming the worst (no Taylor) and hoping for the best (an entire SF set with him). It's not going to change my decision to see them this time around, there is just too little time left.

It would also be nice to see Jim Price back in the line up. Don't hear much about him here, he gets overshadowed by Bobby Keys, but it was together they did their best work with the Stones. peace

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 24, 2015 09:47

DREAMTIME
I just got a call telling me 3 nights at Forest Hills (14,000) Queens, NYC!
(where they have played before in '65)

Perfect venue for a complete set of Sticky Fingers live. Open air, intimate, bringing back the memories from the 60's with a special touch of 1971. If it makes it through the final plans then I am all set for a week or so in Queens.

Bjornulf

Date: February 24, 2015 10:47

Naturalust
buffalo7478
Doing Sticky Fingers material with Ronnie Wood playing lead instead of bringing Taylor and having him play on every song (not just MR) is sad.

Unless Keith suddenly starts playing much better, they could use 3 guitars for the majoring of their material. Keith or Ronnie on an amped up acoustic (which they used with great success in the studio) the other on electric playing rhythm also and Taylor on lead. Get to the post-1974 material and have Ronnie switch to lead and Taylor to rhythm along with Keef.

Is it about money? Their idea who who the Stones are now? Just don't like Taylor or where his playing is at now (though a Taylor fan, listening to some of his MR work on the last tour, it is spotty...like he needed time to settle into the song and string notes together).

thumbs up Yeah he needs a few tunes to warm up and get used to the stage, the audience, his sound and this "new" band he is playing with. Probably part of the reason he won't be included. But I'm still assuming the worst (no Taylor) and hoping for the best (an entire SF set with him). It's not going to change my decision to see them this time around, there is just too little time left.

It would also be nice to see Jim Price back in the line up. Don't hear much about him here, he gets overshadowed by Bobby Keys, but it was together they did their best work with the Stones. peace

Many fans need to understand that it won't sound like 1971 again, with or without Taylor. From the boots I've heard 1971 wasn't even a great tour (Nothing would please me more than to be proven wrong here, though) smiling smiley

In fairness, the Roundhouse gig was pretty good.

And there are several songs on SF without Mick Taylor, or with sparse contributions from him: Brown Sugar, Sister Morphine, Wild Horses.

His two extended solos are very good, though, and I reckon those are the songs they have in mind.

But the 8 other songs on SF, the Stones have played brilliantly without Taylor.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: February 24, 2015 12:04

buffalo7478

...That's funny; they've been doing that since 1975. And there haven't been that many sad looking faces around, as far as I can tell...

buffalo7478

Unless Keith suddenly starts playing much better,

Keith played really bad in (2006-)2007 (and, admittedly, he played hardly at all from then on to aprox. early 2012).

Now what's this stint for Keith needing to "start playing much better", judging by his guitar work on stage from the end of 2012 on until recently?!
From what I've heard, He played more then fine. (Although especially in '12, he was so low in the mix I almost didn't hear him. smoking smiley 'New Keith' needs some 'adjusting to'!)

Date: February 24, 2015 12:06

duke richardson

it will be a factor for a lot of people deciding not to go.

...You really believe that, don't you!? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 24, 2015 12:21

24FPS
Face it, the (INSERT INSULT HERE) that would pay big bucks to see this version of the Stones certainly aren't going to make their (INSERT SECOND INSULT) decision based on whether Mick Taylor is there or not.

duke richardson
its true
the know-nothing-wealthy won't..

Boy oh boy... aren't we all feeling mighty fine about ourselves today...

DandelionPowderman

Many fans need to understand that it won't sound like 1971 again, with or without Taylor.

Cheerz, Dandy, for these words of wisdom.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: February 24, 2015 12:30

bv
DREAMTIME

Perfect venue for a complete set of Sticky Fingers live. Open air, intimate, bringing back the memories from the 60's with a special touch of 1971. If it makes it through the final plans then I am all set for a week or so in Queens.

Woah! Dreamtime! Wish I could be there!
Would they bring out Ry Cooder for Sister Morphy?
Taylor could handle that, too...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-24 12:31 by waterrats.

Date: February 24, 2015 14:33

waterrats
bv
DREAMTIME

Woah! Dreamtime! Wish I could be there!
Would they bring out Ry Cooder for Sister Morphy?
Taylor could handle that, too

So could Ronnie...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 24, 2015 15:07

DREAMTIME

I don't get to nyc until July 20... Hope that's not too late! And thanks for the heads up... Though I do know it's still pretty much up in the air.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-24 15:08 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 24, 2015 15:56

DREAMTIME

'66.

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: February 24, 2015 15:56

Count me in for Queens shows if they got confirmed! Any news if other US shows will be smaller, intimate setting like Forest Hills or rather huge stadiums? I hope for the earlier!

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: February 24, 2015 16:16

DREAMTIME

As seen on Mad Men:

[gothamist.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 24, 2015 16:44

DeanGoodman
DREAMTIME

As seen on Mad Men:

[gothamist.com]

July 2, 1966.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 24, 2015 16:46

RoughJusticeOnYa
buffalo7478

...That's funny; they've been doing that since 1975. And there haven't been that many sad looking faces around, as far as I can tell...

buffalo7478

Unless Keith suddenly starts playing much better,

Keith played really bad in (2006-)2007 (and, admittedly, he played hardly at all from then on to aprox. early 2012).

Now what's this stint for Keith needing to "start playing much better", judging by his guitar work on stage from the end of 2012 on until recently?!
From what I've heard, He played more then fine. (Although especially in '12, he was so low in the mix I almost didn't hear him. smoking smiley 'New Keith' needs some 'adjusting to'!)

Since 75 there have done rough versions of Brown Sugar, renowned more for a crowd sing-along than blazing slide or Keith's rhythm opening (which I have seen him flub more times than get it right). They have occasionally played Bitch (very rough), Moonlight Mile (nice that they opened up the setlist and put it in for some shows), Sister Morphine (a few times just a mess) and a slower uninspired CYHMK.

IF they plan on playing the whole album live, and Taylor (who along with Bobby was so important on many songs) is around but they don't add him to the tour...sad. It will degrade their legacy, not enhance it.

I remember hearing the opening of CYHMK live once, and was so pumped. The yuppies next to me were like 'what IS this song" ...they only knew the hits. I responded that it was one of their very best, and rarely played live. A couple of minutes in that left for a bathroom break. I wished I had left for a break as between Keith, Ronnie and the slow pace....it was horrible.

Listen to Brown Sugar from Brussels or any 1973 show and find an version since Ronnie joined that sounds nearly as good.

I am sure they will sell lots of tix, the casual fans will love the war horses, esp Miss You and SFTD and JJF. I like the band I remember the Stones being too much to sit and watch them train wreck songs, relying on lights and projections and Jagger's showmanship more than the once killer band.

Taylor does not fix all that. But a 3rd guitarist, who helped create the work, and can maybe help drive the songs live might keep it from being a train wreck.

But everyone has an opinion. Maybe they'll add Blondie back in to fill in the guitar sound again.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 24, 2015 16:53

It makes me very sad if Taylor is not included. It was truly the highlight for me to see Taylor play on both Rambler and CYHMK in Philly. It seems so easy to include him and you have to go far out of your way to exclude the great Mick Taylor. Sad indeed, but so be it.

Date: February 24, 2015 17:06

buffalo7478

Since 75 there have done rough versions of Brown Sugar, renowned more for a crowd sing-along than blazing slide or Keith's rhythm opening (which I have seen him flub more times than get it right). They have occasionally played Bitch (very rough), Moonlight Mile (nice that they opened up the setlist and put it in for some shows), Sister Morphine (a few times just a mess) and a slower uninspired CYHMK.

I agree about some rough Brown Sugars (there was no slide on the original, though), but Bitch, SM and MM have been excellent, imo. CYHMK has been hit or miss, with or without Taylor - same with Sway.

I've only heard good live versions of DF, WH and IGTB. I'm excited about how You Gotta Move will sound, because I heard them jamming through it during a soundcheck in Oslo with Taylor, and that was awesome.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 24, 2015 17:34

Naturalust
buffalo7478

Yes, yes, JIm Price is the exiled, Exile player, he deserves some mention around here..... I really think that Arno Hecht from The Uptown Horns should have the sax role. I've only seen UTUBES and clips but Karl Denson didn't thrill me. Arno is a true blue roc 'n' roller.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: February 24, 2015 17:45

Shawn20
It makes me very sad if Taylor is not included. It was truly the highlight for me to see Taylor play on both Rambler and CYHMK in Philly. It seems so easy to include him and you have to go far out of your way to exclude the great Mick Taylor. Sad indeed, but so be it.

Yes sir, I was privileged to be in the tongue pit for that performance. Was a special night.

Date: February 24, 2015 17:50

jazzbass
Shawn20

Yes sir, I was privileged to be in the tongue pit for that performance. Was a special night.
Who says no Mick Taylor. His FBK page currently is posting pictures of him with The Stones as well as talk of him being actively involved. I don't see any signs of him being left out....

Date: February 24, 2015 17:50

buffalo7478

I don't know which live versions of "Sister Morphine" you are talking about. Maybe the first ones very early on in the tour ?? The live versions that I have heard were very solid.

Even with that said,I do not think that "Sister Morphine" is a good choice for their live shows. It just seems too dark and down-beat for a crowd of peple trying to enjoy themselves.

I'm looking forward more to "Moonlight Mile" .

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: February 24, 2015 18:46

Stoneburst
Wander
Actually, "Mick Taylor's" exact quote is :

Mick Taylor Unfortunately I have not been invited.
11 hours ago · Edited

He goes on to say in another post...:

Mick Taylor They might not mention my non participation as there is nothing to gain from that kind of announcement.
11 hours ago · Edited

That's interesting. The original version of that post was a bit less diplomatic: 'They might try and do a bit of 'false advertising' by not mentioning anything
about my non involvement.'

You people are ridiculous! Taking quotes from a MICK TAYLOR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE and spouting them off as genuine quotes from the man himself.

Date: February 24, 2015 19:00

Bastion
Stoneburst
Wander
Actually, "Mick Taylor's" exact quote is :

Mick Taylor Unfortunately I have not been invited.
11 hours ago · Edited

He goes on to say in another post...:

Mick Taylor They might not mention my non participation as there is nothing to gain from that kind of announcement.
11 hours ago · Edited

That's interesting. The original version of that post was a bit less diplomatic: 'They might try and do a bit of 'false advertising' by not mentioning anything
about my non involvement.'

You people are ridiculous! Taking quotes from a MICK TAYLOR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE and spouting them off as genuine quotes from the man himself.
I don't know, looks like those posts have been pulled..... I hate to say so but Taylor and the Taylorites became somewhat of a distraction on 14 on Fire. It all goes back to the manner in which this was presented from the start. I'd prefer some real stage time for MT but if they're just going to carry on with this blasphemy I'd rather they don't bother. Taylor certainly raised the bar on much of the jamming but he wasn't any more accurate than the others on tunes such as "Sway"... In any band you have to fight for your spot, I'm not certain Taylor made himself indispensable. Still I love the man and believe him to be one of the most creative guitarist to ever live. I recall a Far East show where he did a feedback solo that rivaled Jimi himself. I'd be happy to go see the Stones without Taylor but to do a Sticky Fingers tour is kind of silly... I'm not that interested in hearing CYHMK without MT and Bobby Keys...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-24 19:19 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 24, 2015 19:37

Stoneage
200 000 views, 1 100 posts and (soon) 40 pages of information about the Stones 2015 tour. And yet we know almost nothing. How is that possible?

It's cause we're FANS! We just like to masturb... I mean SPECULATE about the band.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: February 24, 2015 20:37

Are any dates starting to leak out?

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 24, 2015 20:53

If the 3 gigs at Forest Hills stadium in Queens, NY is true then I must consider it. Between this and McCartney NYC 2015 I can't afford to blow it seeing either live in concert thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: February 24, 2015 20:55

Bastion

Not ridiculous: several well-connected posters on several different Stones boards say that Taylor wrote those posts himself, plenty of others (who aren't fools, and who know how difficult internet sources are to corroborate) seem to think it indeed was him, and that Facebook page features frequent contributions by people we know are connected to him IRL (including his girlfriend, who also posted a comment today repeating that he hadn't been invited).

Moreover, no-one's actually denied that it's true. I don't really care - IMO, the Rambler thing got old pretty quickly and frankly I'd rather he didn't tour with them if that and an acoustic Satisfaction are all they're going to give him - but his inclusion made the difference to plenty of people who decided to go at the last minute on the past tour; trying to get rid of him under the radar is not classy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-24 20:59 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 24, 2015 21:16

If those negative posts from MT have been taken off FB, I look at it as a good sign that he has had an important phone call saying he has a bit of work to do with his guitar. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: February 24, 2015 21:39

like quitting on your band with no warning is classy,

Posted by: skyhawk ()
Date: February 24, 2015 21:45

DREAMTIME

That would be a nice revanche for me for missing the Berlin show last year smiling smiley

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 24, 2015 21:55

dgodkin
like quitting on your band with no warning is classy,

Ouch!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 168

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50