Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 168
Re: The Rolling Stones live in 2015
Posted by: eismann ()
Date: December 7, 2014 16:24

This message is taken, Thank you Bjornulf
Las Vegas first Weekend?

the greatest rock and roll band in the world - definitely

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: December 7, 2014 16:38

bv
If their most recent plans of doing South America before Las Vegas and the short North America stunt comes through, then they might do London in the summer, theoretically, but don't count on it. I have said it for two years now - it is now or never. Prepare to travel.

I guess it's a great excuse to travel. I was sort of hoping for a London show early July - to coincide with my 40th birthday - but I suppose it's most special to travel and get a holiday in at the same time!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 7, 2014 16:46

I wonder if it is outside the realm of possibility for the Stones to put on a final giant grand finale shows. I think it'd be a blast to end it in spectacular fashion with a new giant stage (in the round would be my preference) and simply put on one show for 250,000 people in each major market. The spread on tickets would make it far more affordable than the previous shows.

The Hyde Park model seemed to go over pretty well too..

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: December 7, 2014 18:29

flacnvinyl
I wonder if it is outside the realm of possibility for the Stones to put on a final giant grand finale shows. I think it'd be a blast to end it in spectacular fashion with a new giant stage (in the round would be my preference) and simply put on one show for 250,000 people in each major market. The spread on tickets would make it far more affordable than the previous shows.

The Hyde Park model seemed to go over pretty well too..

That will never happen. They'll never will say this or that show will be their last one or a grand finale. In a way I like that attitude. They present any show as a grand finale for years...a greatest hits & farewell and goodbye tour/show. Which means you never know if they're coming back; we all talk about that for years...when did that start by the way?? Was it '81?
And it fits their (mostly KR's) attitude to keep playing until you die (or can't play any longer).
The only one who didn't and doesn't like that plan was CW. So they made a deal...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-07 18:32 by Dreamer.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 7, 2014 19:13

I think they should keep going - follow the Leonard Cohen model !

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 7, 2014 20:56

There will never be the final show or some sort of "grand finale". At some point we will know when they performed their last show, but that will be much later. It might be Auckland, it might be a city in America, or may be in London. Nobody knows, not even the Stones. It does not take much fantasy, just read the news, like the news this week. Time waits for no one. Hours are like diamonds, don't let them waste.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: December 8, 2014 05:17

MileHigh
I know that we are fans, but sometimes I think the superlatives about their recent performances are a bit over the top. When Mick goes down to sing off at the sides of the stage, sometimes people are just walking by to go to the bathroom, they are indifferent. It's time catching up and taking over. The "Rock God" aura is only for the hard-core fans. The frenzy of continuously screaming girls is from two generations ago. It's nice to see them play, and I think that they found the right formula for today, but it is definitely not the same. I think the last true blast of "Oh my God it's the Rolling Stones!" was in 1973. I am talking about really _really_ feeling the excitement and the frenzy.

In this Internet age, there are very few surprises. It's a shame in a way, because in days long past, when you went to see a big group perform, you didn't know what the stage was going to look like, you didn't know what they were going to play, etc. I miss that. I had just one moment like that in the recent past. When I watched the late 2012 performance in New Jersey, I was shocked when the choir came out for YCAGWYW and I almost teared up. Imagine if they pulled off that surprise in 1973!

So, for 2015, if they do somewhere between 15 and 25 shows, more power to them. Even if they did five shows or less, more power to them. If they do play, chances are economics will dictate that they play at least 15 or so shows over a four month or less stretch. The staging and lighting and video wall are very expensive, and I am sure even now that they don't want to lose money.

Instead of making a big deal saying, "this is out last performance" I think they should just do a mini tour and keep people guessing. It would be the classy way to end it all.

A lot of people are saying that age doesn't matter, but in fact it does matter. We all know the old joke, "Steel Wheelchairs" and that was 25 years ago. I don't want to see them hobbling around on stage in front of a mixture of hard-core fans and indifferent viewers that stare at them passively. You can also clearly see that there is a fair amount of musicianship stress on the stage nowadays. They often mess up the structure of their songs, Mick often starts singing at the wrong time, or mixes up the words or the order of the verses. Ending a song is quite often a hit and miss affair and there are a lot of looks back and forth and Mick uses audio cues to get the ending pulled off with a semblance of order. I definitely sense "age induced rustiness" and that will likely get even worse as time goes on.

It really is not the same anymore. Please don't shoot the messenger. If they do something in 2015 then great, but then it should finally really and truly be all over.

Mick said that he didn't want to be singing Satisfaction by the time he hit 40. Well, 80 is in sight for Mick and the boys as we speak.

It was a great ride and they did some amazing things. I would only go to see them in 2015 if they did the ticket lottery stuff and I could get tickets for less than $100 each. That's how I got tickets in 2013. I would definitely not spend $500 a ticket to go see them in 2015. The "idea" of the Rolling Stones and their music will always be in my blood. They did some great things and I respect them immensely.

I disagree totally.
Saw them 3 times from rail down under. The excitement and frenzy was off the scale.

Video I made of the 'excitement'

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 8, 2014 08:54

Deathgod, very nice, thank you for that!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 8, 2014 16:08

bv
There will never be the final show or some sort of "grand finale". At some point we will know when they performed their last show, but that will be much later. It might be Auckland, it might be a city in America, or may be in London. Nobody knows, not even the Stones. It does not take much fantasy, just read the news, like the news this week. Time waits for no one. Hours are like diamonds, don't let them waste.

As insightful and informative as ever ???? confused smiley confused smiley confused smiley confused smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 8, 2014 18:40

I can't help but think that Bobby's death will alter their plans for next year. If there already were plans, contracts, commitments..

just on a personal level yes they continued after Ian Stewart died suddenly, but that was a long time ago. Now it seems to me that Bobby Keys' death could be a catalyst for reconsidering a bunch of shows in the next year.

Hawaii 2015 Stones
Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: December 8, 2014 23:38

Does anyone know if the boys are contemplating Rolling to Paradise in 2015?

Date: December 10, 2014 12:50

<I think the last true blast of "Oh my God it's the Rolling Stones!" was in 1973. I am talking about really _really_ feeling the excitement and the frenzy.>

For you that may indeed be true. But don't even imply that most fans won't get that wow-feeling on Stones shows today, because we do.

Keep in mind that SG is their best-selling album, and that some of the latter-day tours have been monstrously huge compared to the arena tours of 1972/1973.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: December 10, 2014 14:57

Yeah, I can't understand how blasé people are. It seems to be needed something really really special for some people being excited.

There are many live acts I haven't seen but want to see before it's too late.
I might be crazy but despite that I rather see my 11th show with the Stones before my first with with some other. If I was forced to chose.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: December 10, 2014 15:43

Thommie
Yeah, I can't understand how blasé people are. It seems to be needed something really really special for some people being excited.

There are many live acts I haven't seen but want to see before it's too late.
I might be crazy but despite that I rather see my 11th show with the Stones before my first with with some other. If I was forced to chose.

I figured out that I´m living beside my real life in a seperate Stones-Town.
With all my other Fan-Colluegues living in there.
Young. Old. Very young. Very old.
With fantastic opinions and sights.
And also with weird, crazy and horrible opinions and sights.
I have to learn that just because we love the same band not everyone have to have the same vibe.
So in opposite to my first years in IOOR 2002/2003 I gave up argueing against those vibes here that sounds strange to me or getting me in rage.
Like in the real town I live I just keep on concentrating on those in my Stones-Camp who are my cup of tea.
With things to agree on, things to think about, sad stuff, happy stuff etc.
The minority in my Stones-Town getting me on my nerves - I just turn my head away from them.
Like in the gigs on the recent tour: If there was somebody in a general strange mood, there were 19.999 others left for me to party with :-)

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 10, 2014 23:31

Well said caschimann

edit: And I sure hope to see the Stones again next year.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-10 23:32 by Rolling Hansie.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: December 10, 2014 23:58

bv
If their most recent plans of doing South America before Las Vegas and the short North America stunt comes through, then they might do London in the summer, theoretically, but don't count on it. I have said it for two years now - it is now or never. Prepare to travel.

I might take the greyhound to a few dates in the US, that is the cheap way and book ahead for a hotel near the venue. Just do your research people.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 11, 2014 10:02

DandelionPowderman
<I think the last true blast of "Oh my God it's the Rolling Stones!" was in 1973. I am talking about really _really_ feeling the excitement and the frenzy.>

No, actually I think that the last such tour was in 1981/82. From 1989 on it was rather perfectionist ('Vegas years'), and the 'wow' feeling had gone even though there were some moments.

Nowadays I regard the Stones as an oldies band. Nothing against that, they would be crazy if they would not make huge profits from their many classics.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 11, 2014 10:21

'89 was pretty damn exciting because they were back!

Date: December 11, 2014 10:41

saltoftheearth
DandelionPowderman

No, actually I think that the last such tour was in 1981/82. From 1989 on it was rather perfectionist ('Vegas years'), and the 'wow' feeling had gone even though there were some moments.

Nowadays I regard the Stones as an oldies band. Nothing against that, they would be crazy if they would not make huge profits from their many classics.

Mind you, this wasn't my quote - as I was two years old in 1973...

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 11, 2014 11:22

saltoftheearth
Mind you, this wasn't my quote - as I was two years old in 1973...

We know, it was DandelionPowdermans.

Date: December 11, 2014 12:13

BowieStone
Mind you, it wasn't DandelionPowderman this time.

LOL! grinning smiley

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: December 11, 2014 15:05

"At least one night at Toronto's Rogers Centre in 2015".

Source = Keith Richards

I know.....I know......it won't be "true" until they make the announcement and BV posts it.

But......God willing and good health. smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 11, 2014 16:19

duke richardson
I can't help but think that Bobby's death will alter their plans for next year. If there already were plans, contracts, commitments..

just on a personal level yes they continued after Ian Stewart died suddenly, but that was a long time ago. Now it seems to me that Bobby Keys' death could be a catalyst for reconsidering a bunch of shows in the next year.

I think that's pure speculation...it's just as likely that it spurs them on as you never know what issue is around the corner with every band member as they get older.

Date: December 11, 2014 16:31

It took them only a few months to head back on the road after Keith's brain surgery. Just saying...

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: December 11, 2014 16:53

DandelionPowderman
It took them only a few months to head back on the road after Keith's brain surgery. Just saying...
But he was dreadful during that leg

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 11, 2014 17:13

Niek
Naturalust
Yep. Let 'em play sitting on chairs with acoustics, messing up the chords and lyrics due to dementia and arthritis, telling stories of the old days, playing more ballads, country blues and blues, I'm still in. In fact that sounds like a pretty interesting show.

peace

Me too.

...I'll be going for Pit tix!!

Date: December 11, 2014 20:38

EJM
DandelionPowderman

In Holland and Belgium, yes - judging by videos. Not in Denmark and Norway. In fact, the 2007 Oslo show was far better than the 2006 Bergen show.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 11, 2014 21:42

DandelionPowderman
EJM
DandelionPowderman

In Holland and Belgium, yes - judging by videos. Not in Denmark and Norway. In fact, the 2007 Oslo show was far better than the 2006 Bergen show.

Well, Helsinki show wasn't among his best ones either, to say it mildly... Not that did anything wrong for the show, quite the contrary; there were people watching him struggling there and seemingly enjoying his act, since that Keith Richards supposed to be like, being drunk, playing sloppy and falling down... a part of traditional Rolling Stones show...eye rolling smiley

And most likely he wasn't even drunk then.

- Doxa

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 11, 2014 23:02

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
EJM
DandelionPowderman

Well, Helsinki show wasn't among his best ones either, to say it mildly... Not that did anything wrong for the show, quite the contrary; there were people watching him struggling there and seemingly enjoying his act, since that Keith Richards supposed to be like, being drunk, playing sloppy and falling down... a part of traditional Rolling Stones show...eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

He was on medicine just after a brain surgery. Great that he was able, not everybody being over 60 would be able to that.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 12, 2014 00:08

mtaylor
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
EJM
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

He was on medicine just after a brain surgery. Great that he was able, not everybody being over 60 would be able to that.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. It was heroic from his side to do the tour, and then there was nights like Helsinki, when seemingly some side effects happened. I am sure he did his best, but a night like that was a scary one to witness. We probably never will know what finishing the tour asked from him.

But what I found a bit ugly that people 'naturally' assumed that his condition is due to a drink (even though 'Keef' can only blame his own much marketed image and reputation for that reaction). This is what people there, including reviewers etc. sounded saying like in a choir. This also made Keith angry - it was based on this show that Swedish idiot journalist wrote the review (which supposedly was about next show in Sweden), which made Keith to reply in public. Even though I think Keith's reaction was 'uncool', I understand his angriness under those circumstances.

But how wonderful it is that we aren't any longer witnessing such a stuff, and Keith is doing great now (compared I think to about anything he did during A BIGGER BANG tour). A wonderful recovery to shape. There are devoted fans for whom Keith is a superman and whatever he does is always wonderful, but at least for me it was not fun at all to follow the ending of A BIGGER BANG tour. Every damn concert seemed to be an issue of 'how is Keith doing tonight', and being afraid of the worst, and some reports and youtube clips were actually damn scary. Anyway, the show I saw in El Ejido, Spain, was okay.

- Doxa

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 168

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home