Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 168
Re: The Rolling Stones live in 2015
Posted by: Woz ()
Date: December 5, 2014 17:40

> The Stones are entertainers, world-class entertainers but they have not reached the level of sophistication Bob has. <

If by this you mean they continue to perfrom at a high level while Dylan should have retired more than 20 years ago I agree.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 5, 2014 17:40

6s7s9s

SO TRUE. I saw Bob Dylan in NY last Friday. I did not recognize a single song, except 'Tangled Up in Blue'. Apparently he also played 'Blowin' in the Wind', but I was not able to recognize it. I am not a Bob Dylan diehard, but feel that I do know more than one or two songs.
Anyway...I looked up his setlists from this recent tour...he played the EXACT same songs in the EXACT same order for every show.
So, the Stones do a much better job of catering to their wide variety of fans than many other artists do...especially Mr. Dylan.

Well, Dylan's never been an easy show number for so called 'casual fans' who supposedly own some of his old classical albums or greatest hits collection... Not that he interprets his old - and supposedly familiar - tunes with a way which make them almost irrecognizable, he has this odd tendency for the performers of his generation to perform material from his latest albums... It could be, how can I say, a bit challenging for 'non-trained' ears...winking smiley

True that he has now - for a year or two - adopted the habit of playing about teh same list for a leg of his NEVER ENDING TOUR. I personally find that freshing - his interpreations still vary from night to night, but there is a tightness and cohesion within the band since the material is now well rehearsed at least...grinning smiley

I am as big Dylan fan as I am a Stones fan, but I don't want to compare their shows against each other - they speak so different language these days; they are not just words, but worlds apart from each other in the show business.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-05 17:41 by Doxa.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: December 5, 2014 17:41

> The Stones are entertainers, world-class entertainers but they have not reached the level of sophistication Bob has. <

If by this you mean they continue to perfrom at a high level while Dylan should have retired more than 20 years ago I agree. Dylan's performances over the last devcade(or two) have been abysmal.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 5, 2014 18:01

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-05 18:01 by Ket.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 5, 2014 18:01

Woz

If by this you mean they continue to perfrom at a high level while Dylan should have retired more than 20 years ago I agree. Dylan's performances over the last devcade(or two) have been abysmal.

I agree with you, There seems to be this "you just don't get it" if you criticize Dylan performances from some people on this board. Well I do get it, he can't sing anymore and looks bored when performing.

Date: December 5, 2014 18:27

There is a Dylan thread there [www.iorr.org] if you guys want to talk about more about him. See you there.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-05 18:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 5, 2014 19:05

Naturalust
Yep. Let 'em play sitting on chairs with acoustics, messing up the chords and lyrics due to dementia and arthritis, telling stories of the old days, playing more ballads, country blues and blues, I'm still in. In fact that sounds like a pretty interesting show.

peace

and Charlie playing brushes the whole show! I'd dig it..

except I can't visualize Mick J with arthritis...

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: December 5, 2014 19:44

Please, never reach the point of permorming like the last Chuck Berry, not the Stones , for god´s sake

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: December 5, 2014 19:52

dcba
6s7s9s

So, the Stones do a much better job of catering to their wide variety of fans than many other artists do...especially Mr. Dylan.

Dylan is an artist i.e. he does exactly what he wants.
The Stones are entertainers, world-class entertainers but they have not reached the level of sophistication Bob has.

There really is no comparison between the two. The Stones are a brilliant nostalgic jukebox while Dylan is a fascinating irritating artist still devoted to producing compelling new music well into his 70's.

The Stones are FAR better live at putting on their cavalcade of hits in a way that is a reasonable facsimile of their halcyon days. Dylan struggles, confounds, and has written some of his greatest records since he turned 50.

Date: December 5, 2014 20:20

varilla
Please, never reach the point of permorming like the last Chuck Berry, not the Stones , for god´s sake

They were close, but fought their way back smiling smiley

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 5, 2014 20:50

This was supposed to be a thread to talk about the Stones in 2015 and it somehow turne into a Dylan one...Yes he was great in the 60's and yes he sings his crappy new songs on tour that you have to be iluminated to understand, but who cares? This is not a Dylan thread.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: December 5, 2014 21:05

Dan
alhavu1
No Doubt is not a headliner by any means

Other than selling about 90,000 tickets in Southern California on their last full tour in 2009. Throw in radius clauses and the fact they haven't played here at all since 2012 and you have a LOT of people going to see them.

A decent co-headliner and they could do an LA Rising type stadium show right here. They are absolutely a festival level headliner and I am really surprised they haven't played Coachella yet.

It would make sense for the Stones to play on Metallica night (if the rumor has any validity to it). As long they get paid and get to deliver a full set to their fans, Metallica wouldn't mind going on early. Sub-headline is usually the best slot at any festival, just ask AC/DC.

Not a headliner

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 5, 2014 21:27

alhavu1
Dan
alhavu1

Other than selling about 90,000 tickets in Southern California on their last full tour in 2009. Throw in radius clauses and the fact they haven't played here at all since 2012 and you have a LOT of people going to see them.

A decent co-headliner and they could do an LA Rising type stadium show right here. They are absolutely a festival level headliner and I am really surprised they haven't played Coachella yet.

It would make sense for the Stones to play on Metallica night (if the rumor has any validity to it). As long they get paid and get to deliver a full set to their fans, Metallica wouldn't mind going on early. Sub-headline is usually the best slot at any festival, just ask AC/DC.

Not a headliner

winking smileythumbs up

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 5, 2014 21:58

MileHigh
I know that we are fans, but sometimes I think the superlatives about their recent performances are a bit over the top. When Mick goes down to sing off at the sides of the stage, sometimes people are just walking by to go to the bathroom, they are indifferent. It's time catching up and taking over. The "Rock God" aura is only for the hard-core fans. The frenzy of continuously screaming girls is from two generations ago. It's nice to see them play, and I think that they found the right formula for today, but it is definitely not the same. I think the last true blast of "Oh my God it's the Rolling Stones!" was in 1973. I am talking about really _really_ feeling the excitement and the frenzy.

In this Internet age, there are very few surprises. It's a shame in a way, because in days long past, when you went to see a big group perform, you didn't know what the stage was going to look like, you didn't know what they were going to play, etc. I miss that. I had just one moment like that in the recent past. When I watched the late 2012 performance in New Jersey, I was shocked when the choir came out for YCAGWYW and I almost teared up. Imagine if they pulled off that surprise in 1973!

So, for 2015, if they do somewhere between 15 and 25 shows, more power to them. Even if they did five shows or less, more power to them. If they do play, chances are economics will dictate that they play at least 15 or so shows over a four month or less stretch. The staging and lighting and video wall are very expensive, and I am sure even now that they don't want to lose money.

Instead of making a big deal saying, "this is out last performance" I think they should just do a mini tour and keep people guessing. It would be the classy way to end it all.

A lot of people are saying that age doesn't matter, but in fact it does matter. We all know the old joke, "Steel Wheelchairs" and that was 25 years ago. I don't want to see them hobbling around on stage in front of a mixture of hard-core fans and indifferent viewers that stare at them passively. You can also clearly see that there is a fair amount of musicianship stress on the stage nowadays. They often mess up the structure of their songs, Mick often starts singing at the wrong time, or mixes up the words or the order of the verses. Ending a song is quite often a hit and miss affair and there are a lot of looks back and forth and Mick uses audio cues to get the ending pulled off with a semblance of order. I definitely sense "age induced rustiness" and that will likely get even worse as time goes on.

It really is not the same anymore. Please don't shoot the messenger. If they do something in 2015 then great, but then it should finally really and truly be all over.

Mick said that he didn't want to be singing Satisfaction by the time he hit 40. Well, 80 is in sight for Mick and the boys as we speak.

It was a great ride and they did some amazing things. I would only go to see them in 2015 if they did the ticket lottery stuff and I could get tickets for less than $100 each. That's how I got tickets in 2013. I would definitely not spend $500 a ticket to go see them in 2015. The "idea" of the Rolling Stones and their music will always be in my blood. They did some great things and I respect them immensely.

Personally I would pay $500 just to watch them perform midnight rambler.

Why don't you take your $500 and spend it on socks

Nate >grinning smiley<

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 5, 2014 22:36

Boys, it's okay to have differing opinions without getting a bit excited. There is no need to circle the wagons. Like others have stated, they pulled it off over the past two years so they could quit now and go out on a relative high. If they do indeed do some shows in 2015, I think the majority of us would agree that it would essentially be the same show we have seen in 2012/2013/2014. All things must pass, to quote George Harrison. I suppose that was a reference to the end of the Beatles. 40+ years later and we are very close to the end of the Stones, and they also have to pass. They do struggle on stage, Mick doesn't have the same moves, and they are playing songs that are mostly 40+ years old.

If you are a child of the 70s like me and a lot of us around here, think about this: Pretend it's 1973 and your friend invites you to go see a "rock band" of 70-year-olds that plays songs from the 1930s. It just wouldn't compute. Well, that's essentially what is happening right now. If they do some shows in 2015, then great, but I am a bit apprehensive about the whole thing. If they really messed up on stage it would be heartbreaking.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 5, 2014 22:48

MileHigh
Boys, it's okay to have differing opinions without getting a bit excited. There is no need to circle the wagons. Like others have stated, they pulled it off over the past two years so they could quit now and go out on a relative high. If they do indeed do some shows in 2015, I think the majority of us would agree that it would essentially be the same show we have seen in 2012/2013/2014. All things must pass, to quote George Harrison. I suppose that was a reference to the end of the Beatles. 40+ years later and we are very close to the end of the Stones, and they also have to pass. They do struggle on stage, Mick doesn't have the same moves, and they are playing songs that are mostly 40+ years old.

If you are a child of the 70s like me and a lot of us around here, think about this: Pretend it's 1973 and your friend invites you to go see a "rock band" of 70-year-olds that plays songs from the 1930s. It just wouldn't compute. Well, that's essentially what is happening right now. If they do some shows in 2015, then great, but I am a bit apprehensive about the whole thing. If they really messed up on stage it would be heartbreaking.

It's very simple the Rolling Stones are still touring because they love what they do are great at it and many people all over the world still want to see them.

Those socks are waiting for you.

Nate thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-05 22:50 by Nate.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 5, 2014 22:54

MileHigh

If you are a child of the 70s like me and a lot of us around here, think about this: Pretend it's 1973 and your friend invites you to go see a "rock band" of 70-year-olds that plays songs from the 1930s. It just wouldn't compute. Well, that's essentially what is happening right now. .

Not a good analogy. The mass marketing of the 60's and 70's effected and influenced us all much more than anything that happened previously. The Stone's became HUGE and a soundtrack for most of our lives. Besides Rock and Roll is different than anything that happened in the 1930's.

The Stones are still interesting and entertaining, and entertainment is what it is all about, not musical relevance. peace

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: December 5, 2014 23:06

A few shows BV says wonder is that 2 or 5 or 6? No point really in doing 2, thats alot of work, and to be worth while more dates would be great. Wonder why las vegas again thought this tour was to do places they missed in 2013.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 6, 2014 03:34

Naturalust
MileHigh

If you are a child of the 70s like me and a lot of us around here, think about this: Pretend it's 1973 and your friend invites you to go see a "rock band" of 70-year-olds that plays songs from the 1930s. It just wouldn't compute. Well, that's essentially what is happening right now. .

Not a good analogy. The mass marketing of the 60's and 70's effected and influenced us all much more than anything that happened previously. The Stone's became HUGE and a soundtrack for most of our lives. Besides Rock and Roll is different than anything that happened in the 1930's.

The Stones are still interesting and entertaining, and entertainment is what it is all about, not musical relevance. peace

Very well said, NL.
Plus the 30s are 80 years ago now, another reason it's not a good analogy. Mostly what you said though, on the band's seminal influence on the new music of the times, still around, if I got that right.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: December 6, 2014 04:22

angee
Naturalust
MileHigh

Very well said, NL.
Plus the 30s are 80 years ago now, another reason it's not a good analogy. Mostly what you said though, on the band's seminal influence on the new music of the times, still around, if I got that right.

Well, if we could find a suitable analogy, I think it should be one still having some musical similarities and continuities between the eras, like it is with the 60's Stones in regards to current rock/pop music, as you pointed. In the context of early 70's, jazz is one, having already history in the 30's (and earlier). So I guess if one has said in early 70's 'let's see to look Duke Ellington or Louis Amstrong' (the latter already died in 1971, but one gets the point), I don't think that had been that odd. I mean, the jazz had developed and changed quite a lot from the days when they were 'relevant', but I am sure quite many would have been thrilled to see these legends and pioneers (if one digs jazz). Another one is blues. If one digs blues, would seeing Bukka White or Son House playing 30's blues numbers been that odd during early 70's? Or even Robert Johnson had he not died? I don't think so.

Well, maybe nowadays if one is not into rock music at all, and is, say, into rap and hiphop (like many kids now do), maybe then the idea of going to see the Stones now would be like asking a rock fan in 1971 to go to see Louis Amstrong, or whatever 30's act.

Play with analogies...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-06 04:33 by Doxa.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: December 6, 2014 04:32

Limbostone
babyblue
Is this a stadium or arena tour?

Has any act done a stadium tour in the US lately?

South America will be stadiums I'm sure.

U2 just announced an arena tour, they are booked for four dates in L.A. in May 2015.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: December 6, 2014 04:52

kahoosier
Well BV has tried to explain why some of us do what we do. Let me say a few extra things. I saw 32 songs performed this tour, so while this band is not as unpredictable as the Dead were, they are a lot less locked in then many people assume after glancing at a set list or two. Moreover, having been to a few Dead shows in the day, comparing the performances of these two bands is worse than apples to oranges, and I mean that as a criticism of neither band. You just do not have the same expectations if you appreciate both.

But over the last few tours I have come to the belief that for me it is the tribal quality of being on the road. I have written here before, every few years my friends and I hit the road. For weeks on end we meet, re meet, share rooms, share meals, share drinks, share stories and every 3rd or 4th night hire the best damn house band in the world to play our favorite songs for us. Some of these people I stay in contact with constantly, but only see during tours. Nonetheless I grew up in Indiana, spent almost 20 years On Hawaii and other Pacific Islands, live in Auckland and my best friends live in London, so I don't see that as entirely strange. I stepped through the door of a strange hotel in Adelaide the Sunday before the last week of rehearsals and ran straight into BV. I shared a room with a an uber fan from Japan and a good friend from New Zealand. Along the way I ran into familiar faces from the UK, talked more to Linda then I have in over a decade, shared cues with Germans I know, shared drinks with crazy Kareem from Amsterdam, and met Peter and Dereyn (sp?) from Australia, honestly two of the most interesting and genuinely nice people I could imagine. Hats of to Katie, Andrew, Andy, where are you Dean ...Ian??? I could go on and on. Beast , Paulywauly and I are already discussing the merits of a giant Vegas festival VS waiting for South American Stadiums. Hats off to the Apprentice Ben from Canada and your 3 Watts Drumsticks, I still have that Charlie Pic.

I saw my fist stones show in 1975 on Jagger's birthday, probably remember less than anyone but Keith. Over the last 40 years, as time and finances allowed, every tour has become a bigger commitment. It is something visceral , not rational, and if you don't have the bug, you may never understand it. But in the last 15 years alone I have wondered over 4 continents to places I would never have been (Brno? Bucharest?) and seen unexpected beauty and wonder, and I have never felt alone. At each stop I have met people I know , and while we may take a day tour out into Transylvania, we all are all held together buy another night hearing our band play on into the night.

And why have a travel agent arrange your vacation, LOL, the Stones have the best travel arrangements, just follow them to see the world winking smiley)

Great post, you've said it all! Hope to meet you somewhere in the US in 2015!

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 6, 2014 07:35

Doxa, good points on jazz and blues genres. For example, Eric Clapton put out a tribute album to Robert Johnson in 2004 many decades past the original. Not that we really need an analogy. cool smiley

Kahoosier, forgot to say, no kidding man, yeah, me too, what you said, if I was so fortunate.
Hope to meet you one day too. smileys with beer

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: December 6, 2014 19:47

alhavu1
Dan
alhavu1

Not a headliner

Nice way to back up your conclusion with ........ nothing.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 7, 2014 02:29

Dylan does not appeared bored. He and the band completely stick to playing.
Now back to more Stones in 2015!!!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 7, 2014 02:38

Mick would NEVER allow the band to become an embarrassment....in any way. Those of you who make crude and stupid remarks don't know squat about this band. And you are not even casual fans.
I've never been to Las Vagas..might be a great time to go.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: December 7, 2014 09:53

Looking back at my ticket references in my emails, I bought my Macau ticket a year ago last Friday. What a year it has been following the Stones around the world! Magical memories, meeting wonderful people in amazing cities. I hope 2015 is just as special for all Stones fans.

Personally I am hoping for some UK shows, but I know that as a Stones fan sometimes you just have to travel. Let's see what next year brings, I have plenty of holiday to use...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 7, 2014 14:12

The year of 2015 will bring more great shows as it seems, but many would have to travel. Best case, they might still do South America in the spring, seems as they work on that option too now. Keep the 2015 calendar available for the Stones, also the first half. That is my best advice now.

Bjornulf

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 7, 2014 15:14

bv
The year of 2015 will bring more great shows as it seems, but many would have to travel. Best case, they might still do South America in the spring, seems as they work on that option too now. Keep the 2015 calendar available for the Stones, also the first half. That is my best advice now.
Bjornulf, are there going to be any shows in the UK next year? London is calling for the Stonesgrinning smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 7, 2014 16:03

If their most recent plans of doing South America before Las Vegas and the short North America stunt comes through, then they might do London in the summer, theoretically, but don't count on it. I have said it for two years now - it is now or never. Prepare to travel.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 168

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home