Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 168
Re: The Rolling Stones live in 2015
Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: December 2, 2014 22:20

memofromdylan
With today's sad news does Karl Denson get tenure as the Stones' saxophonist?

Seems very likely.

Too bad, the loss of Bobby is really sad. Glad to have seen him 3 times during the Europe tour at the place he had his best times I guess!

Posted by: Steinschlag ()
Date: December 2, 2014 22:27

memofromdylan

Do you really think this is a topic to be discussed today?

Bobby Keys, a great musician who played with the Stones more than 40 years and was loved by all of the fans dearly, passed away just a few hours ago.

I think he deserves our deep respect - and discussions about who is going to be his follow-up are very inappropriate at the moment...

------------------------------------------
"A smile relieves a heart that grieves..."

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 3, 2014 01:09

The Stones have done a tribute number for their heroes who have passed on (James Brown, Bo Diddley etc) in the past. Would be nice if they did a number to honor Bobby on the next tour. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Stones song it could be a tune Bobby loved that the band identifies with.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 3, 2014 01:54

Steinschlag
memofromdylan

Bobby Keys, a great musician who played with the Stones more than 40 years and was loved by all of the fans dearly, passed away just a few hours ago.

I think he deserves our deep respect - and discussions about who is going to be his follow-up are very inappropriate at the moment...

I agree this is not for discussion at this time.
If your wife or husband passed away would you be thinking about who to replace them with straight away.

Nate

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: December 3, 2014 08:14

kahoosier
Well BV has tried to explain why some of us do what we do. Let me say a few extra things. I saw 32 songs performed this tour, so while this band is not as unpredictable as the Dead were, they are a lot less locked in then many people assume after glancing at a set list or two. Moreover, having been to a few Dead shows in the day, comparing the performances of these two bands is worse than apples to oranges, and I mean that as a criticism of neither band. You just do not have the same expectations if you appreciate both.

But over the last few tours I have come to the belief that for me it is the tribal quality of being on the road. I have written here before, every few years my friends and I hit the road. For weeks on end we meet, re meet, share rooms, share meals, share drinks, share stories and every 3rd or 4th night hire the best damn house band in the world to play our favorite songs for us. Some of these people I stay in contact with constantly, but only see during tours. Nonetheless I grew up in Indiana, spent almost 20 years On Hawaii and other Pacific Islands, live in Auckland and my best friends live in London, so I don't see that as entirely strange. I stepped through the door of a strange hotel in Adelaide the Sunday before the last week of rehearsals and ran straight into BV. I shared a room with a an uber fan from Japan and a good friend from New Zealand. Along the way I ran into familiar faces from the UK, talked more to Linda then I have in over a decade, shared cues with Germans I know, shared drinks with crazy Kareem from Amsterdam, and met Peter and Dereyn (sp?) from Australia, honestly two of the most interesting and genuinely nice people I could imagine. Hats of to Katie, Andrew, Andy, where are you Dean ...Ian??? I could go on and on. Beast , Paulywauly and I are already discussing the merits of a giant Vegas festival VS waiting for South American Stadiums. Hats off to the Apprentice Ben from Canada and your 3 Watts Drumsticks, I still have that Charlie Pic.

I saw my fist stones show in 1975 on Jagger's birthday, probably remember less than anyone but Keith. Over the last 40 years, as time and finances allowed, every tour has become a bigger commitment. It is something visceral , not rational, and if you don't have the bug, you may never understand it. But in the last 15 years alone I have wondered over 4 continents to places I would never have been (Brno? Bucharest?) and seen unexpected beauty and wonder, and I have never felt alone. At each stop I have met people I know , and while we may take a day tour out into Transylvania, we all are all held together buy another night hearing our band play on into the night.

And why have a travel agent arrange your vacation, LOL, the Stones have the best travel arrangements, just follow them to see the world winking smiley)

Cheers to that! See you in Vegas! winking smiley

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 3, 2014 16:20

Justin
The Stones have done a tribute number for their heroes who have passed on (James Brown, Bo Diddley etc) in the past. Would be nice if they did a number to honor Bobby on the next tour. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Stones song it could be a tune Bobby loved that the band identifies with.

Should dedicate Brown Sugar from here on out to him, one of the most recognizable sax solos in the history of rock music.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 3, 2014 16:32

Exactly, whenever I hear Brown Sugar, I always think how important and brilliant the sax solo is. They will pay tribute to the man whenever they play Brown Sugar

Posted by: memofromdylan ()
Date: December 3, 2014 20:36

Nate
Steinschlag
memofromdylan

I agree this is not for discussion at this time.
If your wife or husband passed away would you be thinking about who to replace them with straight away.

Nate

A terrible loss, my apologies for being insensitive. I hope I'm not doubly insensitive when I say this: last night I bought presale for Bonnaroo--the inforoo board is lit up with rumors of the Stones headlining. Considering the all-but-confirmed Rock in Rio and BV's hint about festivals around that time, I took the plunge. It seems like a sure bet.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 3, 2014 22:04

Nate[/quote]

A terrible loss, my apologies for being insensitive. I hope I'm not doubly insensitive when I say this: last night I bought presale for Bonnaroo--the inforoo board is lit up with rumors of the Stones headlining. Considering the all-but-confirmed Rock in Rio and BV's hint about festivals around that time, I took the plunge. It seems like a sure bet.[/quote]

I am right behind you in taking the plunge, but at this point it seems more like a fair to decent bet than a "sure" one... winking smiley

Posted by: memofromdylan ()
Date: December 3, 2014 22:17

MisterDDDD

I am right behind you in taking the plunge, but at this point it seems more like a fair to decent bet than a "sure" one... winking smiley

It would explain the price hike!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-03 22:38 by memofromdylan.

Posted by: Grichka ()
Date: December 4, 2014 02:40

kahoosier
Well BV has tried to explain why some of us do what we do. Let me say a few extra things. I saw 32 songs performed this tour, so while this band is not as unpredictable as the Dead were, they are a lot less locked in then many people assume after glancing at a set list or two. Moreover, having been to a few Dead shows in the day, comparing the performances of these two bands is worse than apples to oranges, and I mean that as a criticism of neither band. You just do not have the same expectations if you appreciate both.

But over the last few tours I have come to the belief that for me it is the tribal quality of being on the road. I have written here before, every few years my friends and I hit the road. For weeks on end we meet, re meet, share rooms, share meals, share drinks, share stories and every 3rd or 4th night hire the best damn house band in the world to play our favorite songs for us. Some of these people I stay in contact with constantly, but only see during tours. Nonetheless I grew up in Indiana, spent almost 20 years On Hawaii and other Pacific Islands, live in Auckland and my best friends live in London, so I don't see that as entirely strange. I stepped through the door of a strange hotel in Adelaide the Sunday before the last week of rehearsals and ran straight into BV. I shared a room with a an uber fan from Japan and a good friend from New Zealand. Along the way I ran into familiar faces from the UK, talked more to Linda then I have in over a decade, shared cues with Germans I know, shared drinks with crazy Kareem from Amsterdam, and met Peter and Dereyn (sp?) from Australia, honestly two of the most interesting and genuinely nice people I could imagine. Hats of to Katie, Andrew, Andy, where are you Dean ...Ian??? I could go on and on. Beast , Paulywauly and I are already discussing the merits of a giant Vegas festival VS waiting for South American Stadiums. Hats off to the Apprentice Ben from Canada and your 3 Watts Drumsticks, I still have that Charlie Pic.

I saw my fist stones show in 1975 on Jagger's birthday, probably remember less than anyone but Keith. Over the last 40 years, as time and finances allowed, every tour has become a bigger commitment. It is something visceral , not rational, and if you don't have the bug, you may never understand it. But in the last 15 years alone I have wondered over 4 continents to places I would never have been (Brno? Bucharest?) and seen unexpected beauty and wonder, and I have never felt alone. At each stop I have met people I know , and while we may take a day tour out into Transylvania, we all are all held together buy another night hearing our band play on into the night.

And why have a travel agent arrange your vacation, LOL, the Stones have the best travel arrangements, just follow them to see the world winking smiley)

Hahaha!!!! So nicely and truly said!!! I could cut and paste and just change the names but same trip exactly.

I always wonder, how many of us????????

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 4, 2014 15:55

I know Springsteen has been VERY active touring over the past 3 or so years, since the passing of his long time sax player Clarence as he, in his words, can see the light on the front of a train approaching down the track... His own mortality.

The dreadful passing this week of both Bobby Keys and now Mac may bring that into sharp focus for the Stones too. Even at... ahem .... their age, I hope they keep active....

Not well expressed by me... but well intentioned. I hope everyone gets my drift...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 4, 2014 16:42

bitusa2012
I know Springsteen has been VERY active touring over the past 3 or so years, since the passing of his long time sax player Clarence as he, in his words, can see the light on the front of a train approaching down the track... His own mortality.

The dreadful passing this week of both Bobby Keys and now Mac may bring that into sharp focus for the Stones too. Even at... ahem .... their age, I hope they keep active....

Not well expressed by me... but well intentioned. I hope everyone gets my drift...

Well enough expressed, bitusa2012. As horrible it might sound, but I think the passing of Jagger's loved one sounded like adding one extra push into his performance. He is always great, but he was simply phenomenal during the European leg of the tour - I have never seen him giving so much of himself ever before, which made him look more human and easier to be reached by his audiences, and not just this highly professional and wonderful but distant rock god. The musical interaction he had with audience was something I never experienced before. So genuine and direct.

- Doxa

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: December 4, 2014 20:22

Yeah, Doxa. I stated this myself in some thread or another and noone seemed to catch up with my statement. I find a much more HUMAN Mick in these last months. Like he has had a bath of humility and he has changed his attitude towards fans and bandmates. its only MY feeling. While i always admired Jagger for what he is (the best frontman in history) nowadays i like him much more.
He seems to be mortal, not that semi- god, completely unapproachable.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: December 4, 2014 21:42

Mad Sq Garden!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 4, 2014 23:25

Looking ahead to better days...

Does anyone have a guess as to which weekend might be the one to travel to Las Vegas? I assumed the "Rock" weekend originally, but now I'm not so sure.
confused smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 5, 2014 05:35

Kurt
Looking ahead to better days...

Does anyone have a guess as to which weekend might be the one to travel to Las Vegas? I assumed the "Rock" weekend originally, but now I'm not so sure.
confused smiley
My airfare and lodging are booked... it better be the Rock Weekend.
Why are now "not so sure"??

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 5, 2014 08:22

I know that we are fans, but sometimes I think the superlatives about their recent performances are a bit over the top. When Mick goes down to sing off at the sides of the stage, sometimes people are just walking by to go to the bathroom, they are indifferent. It's time catching up and taking over. The "Rock God" aura is only for the hard-core fans. The frenzy of continuously screaming girls is from two generations ago. It's nice to see them play, and I think that they found the right formula for today, but it is definitely not the same. I think the last true blast of "Oh my God it's the Rolling Stones!" was in 1973. I am talking about really _really_ feeling the excitement and the frenzy.

In this Internet age, there are very few surprises. It's a shame in a way, because in days long past, when you went to see a big group perform, you didn't know what the stage was going to look like, you didn't know what they were going to play, etc. I miss that. I had just one moment like that in the recent past. When I watched the late 2012 performance in New Jersey, I was shocked when the choir came out for YCAGWYW and I almost teared up. Imagine if they pulled off that surprise in 1973!

So, for 2015, if they do somewhere between 15 and 25 shows, more power to them. Even if they did five shows or less, more power to them. If they do play, chances are economics will dictate that they play at least 15 or so shows over a four month or less stretch. The staging and lighting and video wall are very expensive, and I am sure even now that they don't want to lose money.

Instead of making a big deal saying, "this is out last performance" I think they should just do a mini tour and keep people guessing. It would be the classy way to end it all.

A lot of people are saying that age doesn't matter, but in fact it does matter. We all know the old joke, "Steel Wheelchairs" and that was 25 years ago. I don't want to see them hobbling around on stage in front of a mixture of hard-core fans and indifferent viewers that stare at them passively. You can also clearly see that there is a fair amount of musicianship stress on the stage nowadays. They often mess up the structure of their songs, Mick often starts singing at the wrong time, or mixes up the words or the order of the verses. Ending a song is quite often a hit and miss affair and there are a lot of looks back and forth and Mick uses audio cues to get the ending pulled off with a semblance of order. I definitely sense "age induced rustiness" and that will likely get even worse as time goes on.

It really is not the same anymore. Please don't shoot the messenger. If they do something in 2015 then great, but then it should finally really and truly be all over.

Mick said that he didn't want to be singing Satisfaction by the time he hit 40. Well, 80 is in sight for Mick and the boys as we speak.

It was a great ride and they did some amazing things. I would only go to see them in 2015 if they did the ticket lottery stuff and I could get tickets for less than $100 each. That's how I got tickets in 2013. I would definitely not spend $500 a ticket to go see them in 2015. The "idea" of the Rolling Stones and their music will always be in my blood. They did some great things and I respect them immensely.

Posted by: jumpinjack ()
Date: December 5, 2014 09:21

All the old R&B guys went on forever. It will be the same with the Stones. Don't judge them on their looks or their pace. Judge them on their SPIRIT, and you'll get the message :-)

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 5, 2014 09:22

thanks mile high for the suicide note/post.we're all a little dumber for reading it.

really sorry the thrill has left you,now let me list all the people who couldnt give a shit that you think it"should finally really and truly be all over"

1. me-as a person who saw the worst friggin rolling show ever in the history of the band in cleveland ohio in 1978 when the band were in their 30's.since i saw them in their 60's and they were about 100 times better sorta blows your theory a bit eh pal?

2.the thousands of people who have never had the chance to see the rolling stones and will in the future.

3.the thousands of people who have seen the band and want to again.

4.their accounts who do the math to the tune of about $4-$5 million a night.i'm sure there will be a meeting in which someone says"hey,you guys are pulling down a few mill a show but people on the internet are talking,it may be time to shut it down.

5.the backing musicians who make a good chunk of their income working with the stones.

6.the crew and all the people employed by the stones during the tour.

7.the band themselves who have been in the game over 50 years and i'm guessing dont need a burned out fan telling them when their career should end.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 5, 2014 09:41

Yep. Let 'em play sitting on chairs with acoustics, messing up the chords and lyrics due to dementia and arthritis, telling stories of the old days, playing more ballads, country blues and blues, I'm still in. In fact that sounds like a pretty interesting show.

peace

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: December 5, 2014 13:21

Naturalust
Yep. Let 'em play sitting on chairs with acoustics, messing up the chords and lyrics due to dementia and arthritis, telling stories of the old days, playing more ballads, country blues and blues, I'm still in. In fact that sounds like a pretty interesting show.

peace

Me too.

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: December 5, 2014 13:55

Doxa
bitusa2012

Well enough expressed, bitusa2012. As horrible it might sound, but I think the passing of Jagger's loved one sounded like adding one extra push into his performance. He is always great, but he was simply phenomenal during the European leg of the tour - I have never seen him giving so much of himself ever before, which made him look more human and easier to be reached by his audiences, and not just this highly professional and wonderful but distant rock god. The musical interaction he had with audience was something I never experienced before. So genuine and direct.

- Doxa

Totally agree, Doxa.....his perfomance in Madrid this year was one of the best I've seen from him and I've never seen him so reluctant to leave the stage.
The Spanish fans helped of course, but to me and Pam he definitely looked as though he was pushing himself that little bit more, giving more of himself than before.

Chriseganstar

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 5, 2014 14:00

Definitely agree with you Doxa and Chris.

That was definitely some performance in Madrid and I've never seen Mick so happy to still be on the stage at the end for so long. thumbs up

Posted by: Steinschlag ()
Date: December 5, 2014 14:20

lem motlow
thanks mile high for the suicide note/post.we're all a little dumber for reading it.

really sorry the thrill has left you,now let me list all the people who couldnt give a shit that you think it"should finally really and truly be all over"

1. me-as a person who saw the worst friggin rolling show ever in the history of the band in cleveland ohio in 1978 when the band were in their 30's.since i saw them in their 60's and they were about 100 times better sorta blows your theory a bit eh pal?

2.the thousands of people who have never had the chance to see the rolling stones and will in the future.

3.the thousands of people who have seen the band and want to again.

4.their accounts who do the math to the tune of about $4-$5 million a night.i'm sure there will be a meeting in which someone says"hey,you guys are pulling down a few mill a show but people on the internet are talking,it may be time to shut it down.

5.the backing musicians who make a good chunk of their income working with the stones.

6.the crew and all the people employed by the stones during the tour.

7.the band themselves who have been in the game over 50 years and i'm guessing dont need a burned out fan telling them when their career should end.

thumbs up Very well said.... I`m fully with you

smileys with beer

------------------------------------------
"A smile relieves a heart that grieves..."

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 5, 2014 15:06

varilla
Yeah, Doxa. I stated this myself in some thread or another and noone seemed to catch up with my statement. I find a much more HUMAN Mick in these last months. Like he has had a bath of humility and he has changed his attitude towards fans and bandmates. its only MY feeling. While i always admired Jagger for what he is (the best frontman in history) nowadays i like him much more.
He seems to be mortal, not that semi- god, completely unapproachable.

I recall your statement - and remember it clicking exactly with my sentiments. My live experience with Jagger only starts in 1995, and there was now a dimension I never ever felt before. A typical Stones show has been like that the only human touch is generally up to Keith, while Mick remains such an unhuman superman doing his superb performance (which, while being wonderful, leaving oneself a bit cold and distant impression). I recall Jagger himself saying that he doesn't want to have that kind of interaction as Keith has with audience. It looks like that Jagger wants people not to admire him, but his act. He doesn't want to reveal anything of himself.

Actually now that I am going memory line, in the first ever Rolling Stones show I ever see (Helsinki 1995), while the show blew my mind and with no any doubt the biggest singular concert experience I ever have had (I have waited that to happen for some 13 years), Jagger somehow left a bit cold impression. While his showmanship and energy was beyond any rational belief, it was like following an athlete doing his demanding thing with a concentration, but not exactly expressing a real artistic impulse. I was just front of him most of the show, and I recall watching his face impressions between some numbers: a total concentration, eyes shut, hard thinking what will he do next.

But now there was something different. Even though he technically speaking was at least as good as ever, if not better for decades, he sounded like opening a bit of himself there. It was like he was singing from his heart, and not just within the boundaries his vocal coach has learned him to do. Taking actual riskies. Even in his physical movements there was something like a meaning in everything - not just going through certain well-worked routines. His presence was not like some semi-god giving us mortals a piece of his immortal act, but like he actually he was right there, stopping the flow of time, and making every moment significant. For us, for himself, for band, for everyone. Making a show a piece of art - unique, important, here and now.

After the show I said to my company that this is the first time I've seen Mick Jagger the artist, not just the performer. You know, expressing something. Giving something genuine and real of himself for us.

It could be that that artistic drive is something to do with realizing the mortality - that every moment is unique, and we should take everything out of it while it still lasts. Give all we have, while it's still possible. Probably the Stones altogether had that 'yeah boys, this actually is the last time now' when they started the celebrations two years ago, which added one extra push to their routines. But my guess is that Mick Jagger has been gone through such a hell lately, which is to be reflected in his performances. Something has changed in his attitude. In Hyde Park last year I didn't notice the difference yet.

(For those thinking that Jagger of, say, 1966 or 1972 was something totally different, and what we now see is just a shadow of that presence, yeah, I can see that, but I am here only talking about the times I've been able to witness, and just making observatations based on that.)

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-05 15:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: December 5, 2014 16:23

I totally agree with you Doxa. Maybe only us, the hardcores, take notice of this, but it IS there, for sure.
It is like he is really showing gratitude to us for the first time in decades.
He is a miracle, but without us who go to see him, buy his records, follow him everywhere, etc, he wouldn´t be MICK JAGGER

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 5, 2014 16:59

Well, some fantastic year is coming to an end...lots of emotions and fun and music and even sadness and loss...Happiness and sadness around our favorite band.

Lots of things to think about from the cold and sometime rainy days outside the rehearsal studio outside Paris to the last chord played before the kiwis a few days ago, the road, hotels trains and what not, many people encountered, some high hopes for a rare song, dancing to the all time favorites, well, this has been a great year and I have only hopes this continue in 2015 and see you again who knows where....

Cheers

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: December 5, 2014 16:59

Kahoosier writes...
"Let me say a few extra things. I saw 32 songs performed this tour, so while this band is not as unpredictable as the Dead were, they are a lot less locked in then many people assume after glancing at a set list or two."

SO TRUE. I saw Bob Dylan in NY last Friday. I did not recognize a single song, except 'Tangled Up in Blue'. Apparently he also played 'Blowin' in the Wind', but I was not able to recognize it. I am not a Bob Dylan diehard, but feel that I do know more than one or two songs.
Anyway...I looked up his setlists from this recent tour...he played the EXACT same songs in the EXACT same order for every show.
So, the Stones do a much better job of catering to their wide variety of fans than many other artists do...especially Mr. Dylan.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 5, 2014 17:35

6s7s9s

So, the Stones do a much better job of catering to their wide variety of fans than many other artists do...especially Mr. Dylan.

Dylan is an artist i.e. he does exactly what he wants.
The Stones are entertainers, world-class entertainers but they have not reached the level of sophistication Bob has.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 168

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home