Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 168
Re: The Rolling Stones live in 2015
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 1, 2014 20:40

MingSubu
Hoping for some US dates for myself and many other countries for others.

Just found out my dad/BFF has cancer. Pretty bad too. They are saying a year, to a year+ with chemo.

He is my buddy, so I don't want to be away for more than 2 days at a time. Even that is pushing it. Would love to have one close by and take him.

All the best be strong

Nate

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 1, 2014 20:45

bv
I think this is how they will do it:

- A few shows North America May or so, to prepare for the next leg
- South America tour 15 Licks, the real leg - missing link on the world tour
- Wrapping up the 2012-2014 tours later on, while still "warm"

Sorry I don't quite understand this what does wrapping up the 2012-2014 tours later on,while still warm mean.
Do you mean that the South America tour will wrap it up or you mean that they will maybe play other places after South America?

Thanks
Nate thumbs up

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 1, 2014 20:50

So sorry to hear about your dad Ming Subu.

Hope things work out for you and your dad.

God Bless.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 1, 2014 20:53

DandelionPowderman
andrewt

Outside of MR, which is the real showpiece, you can count on a few other moments of magic per nigh.

I believe people in Europe and Australia/NZ who got OOC also treasured that one as an equally big number during the show.

Yes I can see that. i've always been big on OOC live, and I'm really happy that it was revived. (Oh how I wish those two ER's I saw were OOC's).

Anytime they open up and jam a bit is when the real magic happens. For that same reason I always enjoy the Satisfaction and JJF closers. I've never, ever gotten tiired of that.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 1, 2014 21:14

They play nineteen songs every night. Each and every song is great. I would never dream about leaving the show for a beer or for anything during any of the songs. Not any.

If you go to the show for gems or surprises only then may be you are about to get bored with the Stones. And if you must see Mick Taylor on every song - or many - then may be you forgot that the Rolling Stones are basically a singer, two guitar players and a drummer, with backup people on stage.

Bjornulf

Date: December 1, 2014 21:45

thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 1, 2014 21:47

bv
And if you must see Mick Taylor on every song - or many - then may be you forgot that the Rolling Stones are basically a singer, two guitar players and a drummer, with backup people on stage.

Really? I'd love to see them perform a single song with just Mick, Keith , Ronnie and Charlie. Yeah those 4 are the only ones who can claim to be Rolling Stones but you are seriously understating the musical contributions of backup people on stage, especially Darryl and Chuck.

But, I would go so far as to say you could probably replace everyone but Mick and Keith with top shelf studio musicians who tried to play like their counterparts, put them behind a curtain and you couldn't tell it wasn't the Stones playing. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2014 22:14

I would go so far as to say you could probably replace everyone but Mick and Keith

....Okay then Naturalust It's your job ta go tell Charlie the plan ...Piece of Peace

ROCKMAN

Date: December 1, 2014 22:28

Definitely !

Charlie holds the band together.

If he want's to quit...................that's it.

Date: December 1, 2014 22:35

Naturalust
bv
And if you must see Mick Taylor on every song - or many - then may be you forgot that the Rolling Stones are basically a singer, two guitar players and a drummer, with backup people on stage.

Really? I'd love to see them perform a single song with just Mick, Keith , Ronnie and Charlie. Yeah those 4 are the only ones who can claim to be Rolling Stones but you are seriously understating the musical contributions of backup people on stage, especially Darryl and Chuck.

But, I would go so far as to say you could probably replace everyone but Mick and Keith with top shelf studio musicians who tried to play like their counterparts, put them behind a curtain and you couldn't tell it wasn't the Stones playing. smoking smiley

peace

I've never heard anyone who plays like Charlie.

Date: December 1, 2014 22:48

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
bv

peace

I've never heard anyone who plays like Charlie.

Yes I agree. But I don't think his playing would be too hard to imitate for session drummers like Jim Keltner or the late great Jeff Porcaro. Keith is harder to truly imitate because touch and feel are so distinguishable in guitar players, Mick is obviously one of a kind. Ronnie's playing is not so distinguishable, he seems to play differently depending on the night. peace

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: December 1, 2014 23:39

Well BV has tried to explain why some of us do what we do. Let me say a few extra things. I saw 32 songs performed this tour, so while this band is not as unpredictable as the Dead were, they are a lot less locked in then many people assume after glancing at a set list or two. Moreover, having been to a few Dead shows in the day, comparing the performances of these two bands is worse than apples to oranges, and I mean that as a criticism of neither band. You just do not have the same expectations if you appreciate both.

But over the last few tours I have come to the belief that for me it is the tribal quality of being on the road. I have written here before, every few years my friends and I hit the road. For weeks on end we meet, re meet, share rooms, share meals, share drinks, share stories and every 3rd or 4th night hire the best damn house band in the world to play our favorite songs for us. Some of these people I stay in contact with constantly, but only see during tours. Nonetheless I grew up in Indiana, spent almost 20 years On Hawaii and other Pacific Islands, live in Auckland and my best friends live in London, so I don't see that as entirely strange. I stepped through the door of a strange hotel in Adelaide the Sunday before the last week of rehearsals and ran straight into BV. I shared a room with a an uber fan from Japan and a good friend from New Zealand. Along the way I ran into familiar faces from the UK, talked more to Linda then I have in over a decade, shared cues with Germans I know, shared drinks with crazy Kareem from Amsterdam, and met Peter and Dereyn (sp?) from Australia, honestly two of the most interesting and genuinely nice people I could imagine. Hats of to Katie, Andrew, Andy, where are you Dean ...Ian??? I could go on and on. Beast , Paulywauly and I are already discussing the merits of a giant Vegas festival VS waiting for South American Stadiums. Hats off to the Apprentice Ben from Canada and your 3 Watts Drumsticks, I still have that Charlie Pic.

I saw my fist stones show in 1975 on Jagger's birthday, probably remember less than anyone but Keith. Over the last 40 years, as time and finances allowed, every tour has become a bigger commitment. It is something visceral , not rational, and if you don't have the bug, you may never understand it. But in the last 15 years alone I have wondered over 4 continents to places I would never have been (Brno? Bucharest?) and seen unexpected beauty and wonder, and I have never felt alone. At each stop I have met people I know , and while we may take a day tour out into Transylvania, we all are all held together buy another night hearing our band play on into the night.

And why have a travel agent arrange your vacation, LOL, the Stones have the best travel arrangements, just follow them to see the world winking smiley)

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: December 1, 2014 23:39

Naturalust
But, I would go so far as to say you could probably replace everyone but Mick and Keith with top shelf studio musicians who tried to play like their counterparts, put them behind a curtain and you couldn't tell it wasn't the Stones playing.

Ludicrous.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: December 2, 2014 00:08

They infuriate me with the way they treat Bill but I can't bloody wait for my next set of Stones shows.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: December 2, 2014 00:37

kahoosier
Well BV has tried to explain why some of us do what we do. Let me say a few extra things. I saw 32 songs performed this tour, so while this band is not as unpredictable as the Dead were, they are a lot less locked in then many people assume after glancing at a set list or two. Moreover, having been to a few Dead shows in the day, comparing the performances of these two bands is worse than apples to oranges, and I mean that as a criticism of neither band. You just do not have the same expectations if you appreciate both.

But over the last few tours I have come to the belief that for me it is the tribal quality of being on the road. I have written here before, every few years my friends and I hit the road. For weeks on end we meet, re meet, share rooms, share meals, share drinks, share stories and every 3rd or 4th night hire the best damn house band in the world to play our favorite songs for us. Some of these people I stay in contact with constantly, but only see during tours. Nonetheless I grew up in Indiana, spent almost 20 years On Hawaii and other Pacific Islands, live in Auckland and my best friends live in London, so I don't see that as entirely strange. I stepped through the door of a strange hotel in Adelaide the Sunday before the last week of rehearsals and ran straight into BV. I shared a room with a an uber fan from Japan and a good friend from New Zealand. Along the way I ran into familiar faces from the UK, talked more to Linda then I have in over a decade, shared cues with Germans I know, shared drinks with crazy Kareem from Amsterdam, and met Peter and Dereyn (sp?) from Australia, honestly two of the most interesting and genuinely nice people I could imagine. Hats of to Katie, Andrew, Andy, where are you Dean ...Ian??? I could go on and on. Beast , Paulywauly and I are already discussing the merits of a giant Vegas festival VS waiting for South American Stadiums. Hats off to the Apprentice Ben from Canada and your 3 Watts Drumsticks, I still have that Charlie Pic.

I saw my fist stones show in 1975 on Jagger's birthday, probably remember less than anyone but Keith. Over the last 40 years, as time and finances allowed, every tour has become a bigger commitment. It is something visceral , not rational, and if you don't have the bug, you may never understand it. But in the last 15 years alone I have wondered over 4 continents to places I would never have been (Brno? Bucharest?) and seen unexpected beauty and wonder, and I have never felt alone. At each stop I have met people I know , and while we may take a day tour out into Transylvania, we all are all held together buy another night hearing our band play on into the night.

And why have a travel agent arrange your vacation, LOL, the Stones have the best travel arrangements, just follow them to see the world winking smiley)

FAN-tastic, brilliant post Kahoosier! thumbs up

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: December 2, 2014 00:48

kahoosier

smileys with beer

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 2, 2014 00:52

Hi BV, wrap up, is that at consert in London?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 2, 2014 01:38

MingSubu
Hoping for some US dates for myself and many other countries for others.

Just found out my dad/BFF has cancer. Pretty bad too. They are saying a year, to a year+ with chemo.

He is my buddy, so I don't want to be away for more than 2 days at a time. Even that is pushing it. Would love to have one close by and take him.

So sorry to hear this, MingSubu--here's hoping your dad's story has the same ending as Wilko Johnson's, and that you both get to see many shows together. smiling smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 2, 2014 04:58

Very sorry to hear about your father, MingSubu.

Stick close to him....hold his hand. This small gesture is very comforting when the going gets tough.

Date: December 2, 2014 07:12

Great post kahoosier

Hope to meet you when The Stones play London in the summer, or South America ,sometime next year. smileys with beer

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: December 2, 2014 09:32

kahoosier

Beautiful!

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 2, 2014 12:56

Great write-up indeed, I take it you haven't forgotten the long walk back from HP1 in 2013 either ? ;-)

Not a lot to add to what's been said but when you're sitting at home in front of your computer it's easy to forget how thrilling it is to be at a Stones' show, everyone just seems to be "electrified", just like a kid on Christmas day, priceless!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 2, 2014 18:45

kahoosier

You said it for many of us. Thank you!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 2, 2014 19:54

Thanks for the support.

The Stones are helping me get through this.

The Pittsburgh PG had a write up about the new Brian Jones book. They mentioned PNC Park in Pittsburgh might take place. Anyone hear of this yet?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 2, 2014 20:07

Naturalust
bv

peace

Have you seen the Jagger solo show in Tokyo Dome? The best musicians in the world at their positions and it was clean, polished and precise . . . . . . and didn't sound anything like the Stones. I was actually quite shocked at the time.

Date: December 2, 2014 20:38

drbryant
Naturalust
bv

peace

Have you seen the Jagger solo show in Tokyo Dome? The best musicians in the world at their positions and it was clean, polished and precise . . . . . . and didn't sound anything like the Stones. I was actually quite shocked at the time.

Yes but without Keith of course it ain't gonna sound like the Stones...and after thinking on it, I'd like to say that Charlie is also irreplaceable, integral to the Stones sound. Think my writing got a bit ahead of my thinking there. My apologies. peace

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 2, 2014 21:15

MingSubu, so sorry. Hope you (and me) get to see the band again in the States.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: December 2, 2014 21:29

And now a much shorter explanation equally true...a man has to have his priorities even if they are f%^ked spinning smiley sticking its tongue out My future retirement plans include becoming a burden to the state >grinning smiley<

Posted by: memofromdylan ()
Date: December 2, 2014 21:57

With today's sad news does Karl Denson get tenure as the Stones' saxophonist?

Date: December 2, 2014 22:20

memofromdylan
With today's sad news does Karl Denson get tenure as the Stones' saxophonist?

Considering how long it took Ronnie Wood to get "tenure", I'd say probably not, technically speaking. But at this late stage of the game I'd guess they are less likely to be making any changes to the sidemen lineup. Besides he played extremely well on the down under portion of the tour so unless he decides to have a champagne bath I'd say he's got the gig. smoking smiley peace

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 168

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1638
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home