Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: requests for next "vault" release...
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 22, 2014 20:15

24FPS
flilflam
I have an idea. Since so many of us seem to want to want more old songs, and some of us want newly written songs, why not hope for a CD/DVD with both. Half would consist of nostalgia from the sixties and seventies and the other half would be all new material. Call it Half and Half.

I think that just I and one other guy on this website are hoping for at least some brand new material, instead of the same old, same old, over and over and over again. I am now looking at the post before mine, featuring Saint of Me. I already own this. I want new songs!!!

Of course we all want NEW songs. But really, they've only made a handful of decent songs Post-Wyman. We're afraid a new album would be them self consciously trying to sound like the Stones by aping the past, not darkly, but badly. We already the bass isn't going to be right, as they even let Mick play it last time. What's next? Charlie on a Fender Jazz?

Doom & Gloom was actually interesting, but didn't sound like 'Classic Stones'. We don't need a bunch of Keith songs that start with some tired variation of a Chuck Berry lick. There's enough of those on Undercover and Dirty Work for a Leastest Hits package.

Of course I'd buy a new album, listen to it twice, scrape off a couple songs for a compilation and then never listen to the album again. Until someone on here tells me that 'Sad Fight Shot' was a fantastic, overlooked cut. I'll go to YouTube, listen to it, and think, "They're full of it. It's the same piece of crap it's always been."

Of course, Doom and Gloom did not sound like Classic Stones, because it was not meant to sound like Classic Stones, whatever that means. The Stones wrote D and G to appeal to the younger audience, just as they wrote songs to appeal to the twenty something audience way back in the sixties and seventies (when I was young). I just want to see where their creativity would take them. People might be pleasantly surprised. As far as Keith's riffs are concerned, I suspect that he and others have composed all or most of them already. I would love to hear more along the lines of Down in the Hole. I am not sure that is Classic Stones, but that one is very, very good.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 22, 2014 20:18

The Rolling Stones APING THE PAST, NOT DARKLY, BUT BADLY.

Ha ha!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 22, 2014 20:46

New Keef solo album!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 22, 2014 21:17

Tate
I really don't understand the desire for anything in recent years, unless you were there and you want a memento. I have loved every show I have been to since 1989, but really, every version of Tumbling Dice, Miss You, and IORR, JJF, etc, sounds nearly identical at every show since then... Very subtle differences exist between tours since then. Now I know there are some fun set lists from the latter days, but for the "vaults," I really think there is some great unreleased stuff still out there from the 60's and 70's that far outshines almost anything post Steel Wheels/ Urban Jungle. Brussels Affair, El Mocambo, Marquee... Let's hear some of these great gems all sweetly remastered and then debate which latter day shows/ tours are worth a revisit.

What he said, x2. peace

Date: November 22, 2014 21:22

The next 'vault' release should definitely be El Mocambo .

Posted by: shakedown ()
Date: November 22, 2014 21:38

I am all for pre-1978 releases except as mentioned earlier in this thread, there are on rare occasions, shows like this below from the latter years. It was not just a whacked set list on paper > it was something quite amazing to witness in person, the high calibre of the performance and yes my jaw was dropping from my seat beside the B stage as they continued to pull out certain songs that night (6-7 of them depending upon what your opinions are).

This all said there is a fantastic audience audio recording that is around but it would be great to be able to experience it in professional video/audio quality. It was 2002 & that an arena show with a set list/performance like this was even possible is of some significance and worth letting RS fans check out what went down that night in Cleveland.

It was definitely worth the 6 hour drive.

Gund Arena, Cleveland, Ohio, October 14, 2002

Street Fighting Man
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Live With Me
Sweet Virginia
Loving Cup
All Down The Line
Rocks Off
Tumblin' Dice
--- Introductions
Slipping Away (Keith)
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Start Me Up
I Can't Turn You Loose
Honky Tonk Woman
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Satisfaction
Stray Cat Blues (B-stage)
Like A Rolling Stone (B-stage)
Brown Sugar (B-stage)
Midnight Rambler
Jumping Jack Flash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-22 21:43 by shakedown.

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: November 22, 2014 21:45

mnewman505
because I know you have these shows in multi track audio and high quality video....

July 25, 1982
Roundhay Park, Leeds, UK

December 19, 1989
Convention Hall, Atlantic City, USA

September 18, 1997
Double Door, Chicago, USA

June 10, 2014
Waldbuhne, Berlin, Germany

Thanks!

What makes you think they've recorded the Berlin gig in multichannel
audio ? Not that I wouldn't like it released ;-D

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: November 22, 2014 23:36

I love the requests for Cleveland 2002, I bought a front row ticket for this show at 8:15pm from the box office for $90, what makes you guys think it was videotaped?

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: November 22, 2014 23:57

DeeGee

What makes you think they've recorded the Berlin gig in multichannel
audio ? Not that I wouldn't like it released ;-D

Because they can.

Posted by: shakedown ()
Date: November 23, 2014 00:15

mnewman505
I love the requests for Cleveland 2002, I bought a front row ticket for this show at 8:15pm from the box office for $90, what makes you guys think it was videotaped?

I realize it is wishful thinking that a pro shot video was done, line audio is more realistic > there was some organized in house documenting going on for the Licks tour with the DVD set release but who knows how many shows were being recorded and to what extent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-23 00:18 by shakedown.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 23, 2014 00:57

Threads like this one always give me a good laugh because you know that virtually none of these wishes are ever going to come true from the Stones!smiling smiley The San Jose U.S. No Security tour finale was filmed by Showtime but apparently never aired because Mick thought they were "overexposed", whatever that means...smiling smiley

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: November 23, 2014 01:32

shakedown
mnewman505

I realize it is wishful thinking that a pro shot video was done, line audio is more realistic > there was some organized in house documenting going on for the Licks tour with the DVD set release but who knows how many shows were being recorded and to what extent.

I think that almost all shows post 1989 shows was filmed in some kind of way (cameras for screen-feed) and saved, but only a few shows was taped for possible official release with cranes and stuff like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-23 01:32 by EasterMan.

Posted by: SwayMT73 ()
Date: November 23, 2014 04:57

Anything from the 1973 Australian tour preferably Perth.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 23, 2014 05:02

SwayMT73
Anything from the 1973 Australian tour preferably Perth.

Now we are talking!!!!

thumbs up

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 23, 2014 05:14

mnewman505

Mick said in 1995 that "we record and film every show".............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-23 05:14 by EddieByword.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: November 23, 2014 11:26

Leeds 82.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 23, 2014 11:48

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-23 11:53 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 23, 2014 12:38

They probably just release Tokyo '90, Toronto 2005 and Leeds '82 and than nothing will happen for a while....,

BUT what they should release are Knebworth, El Mocambo, Paradiso and more recently Glastonbury.

And please finaly release on blu ray Rock'n'Roll Circus, Miami '94/Tokyo '95, St.Louis '97, Rio 2006 and the complete Flicks box.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-24 19:41 by GJV.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: November 23, 2014 13:01

Aux Abattoirs would be nice. That's taken place shortly after I really developed a linking for the band.

The Rolling Stones live in Paris
Les Rolling Stones Aux Abattoirs
Pavillon de Paris, France
4-7 June 1976

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 23, 2014 13:14

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 23, 2014 15:32

Naturalust
Tate
I really don't understand the desire for anything in recent years, unless you were there and you want a memento. I have loved every show I have been to since 1989, but really, every version of Tumbling Dice, Miss You, and IORR, JJF, etc, sounds nearly identical at every show since then... Very subtle differences exist between tours since then. Now I know there are some fun set lists from the latter days, but for the "vaults," I really think there is some great unreleased stuff still out there from the 60's and 70's that far outshines almost anything post Steel Wheels/ Urban Jungle. Brussels Affair, El Mocambo, Marquee... Let's hear some of these great gems all sweetly remastered and then debate which latter day shows/ tours are worth a revisit.

What he said, x2. peace

So many people here are wedded to the past. My elderly dad,before his death, pined about the good old days when he had to walk to school in three feet of snow and when Prohibition was lifted. How old are you? 70 years old?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 23, 2014 16:25

flilflam
Naturalust
Tate

What he said, x2. peace

So many people here are wedded to the past. My elderly dad,before his death, pined about the good old days when he had to walk to school in three feet of snow and when Prohibition was lifted. How old are you? 70 years old?

While I like a well executed insult as much as the next guy, it seems obvious that the point isn't 'pining for the past' but rather that the performances in more recent times are too similar to warrant creating new 'for sale' content to get excited about.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 23, 2014 17:41

I always wondered why the Stones would not do as some bands like Pearl Jam do and release the shows themselves with no record company, etc., and simply pay royalties, etc. as per standard agreements?

From the vaults, I really would like:

1. complete 1972 show like Fort Worth or one that cooked with special songs

2. El Mocambo (compile both nights)

3. 1970 Paris - we need a clear and clean 1970 tour show that does not sound no-noised!

4. 1971 UK - while the Marquee shows were recorded, let us not forget how many of us repeatedly discern that many of those songs are strained (at best) by Jagger's having been too "hopped up." I say let's have the entire Leeds gig with bonus material from early shows like Liverpool & Newcastle 5 March.

5. 1973 - RELEASE THE NICARAUGUAN BENEFIT GIG, BOYS!

6. Knebworth - sure, it's sloppy in a few places, but what fun and the last of that kind of show we'll ever see

7. 2002 US - a "Theater" compilation of all juicy songs

8. 1999 - give us a complete show with the great Around & Around and Emotional Rescue sound checks tossed in

I could go on by adding great one-off footage from NME 68, Saville 69, Oshawa 79, 100 Club 1982, 100 Club 1986, Toads 1989, and all the Club shows from 1995.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: November 23, 2014 18:01

1967 European tour with Brian Jones and featuring Roll Over Beethoven. My personal holy grail.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 23, 2014 18:21

treaclefingers
flilflam
Naturalust
Tate

What he said, x2. peace

While I like a well executed insult as much as the next guy, it seems obvious that the point isn't 'pining for the past' but rather that the performances in more recent times are too similar to warrant creating new 'for sale' content to get excited about.

Yeah you've got it right treacle. It's got little to do with me being wedded to the past. Ironically, it's more about the (70 year old) Stones having been wedded to the past in their set lists and arrangements, for many years now. I love releases like Some Girls deluxe which actually have new content and am more interested in older shows when the songs were fresher, more varied and the song presentations weren't as predictable. peace

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: November 23, 2014 21:23

Tate

Amen to that! Couldn't agree more. Paris 76 needs a release with El Mocambo.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 24, 2014 16:36

Paul Kersey
Tate

Amen to that! Couldn't agree more. Paris 76 needs a release with El Mocambo.

I disagree...let's give El Mocambo it's own expanded release, and get it out of the shadow of Paris '76. I think it deserves it.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 24, 2014 16:52

These From The Vault series releases are all by Eagle Rock and will be dvd's, not cd's! Since El Mocambo and lots of the other shows mentioned in this thread weren't filmed you can forget about them for now unless the Stones decide to do some more audio archive releases like they did a couple of years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-24 22:29 by Mr.D.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 24, 2014 17:02

Any pre-1969 show would be great
Mocambo
Aux Abattoirs
Knebworth

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 24, 2014 18:54

something from the no security arena tour of 1999 (hartford )

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1790
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home