Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: Brisbane Australia 18 November 2014 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 20, 2014 20:19

I am a sucker for anything 1969, so it brings a smile to see and read the Sam Cutler stuff. To my memory it was around 2:00 a.m. at the Forum when he said in that Brit drawl:

"Are we or can we be enthusiastic when it's required? I'm sure we can. All right. If you have aching bones from sitting down too long, well, perhaps we'll be able to do something about that too. Anyway, I'd like you to welcome...in the biggest possible way...The Rolling Stones...The Rolling Stones!"

It was a long wait that night for the memorable and historic moment when the band took the stage. They looked great, young, vibrant, confident and sexy. It was a show played on the band's terms.

Posted by: blackbird ()
Date: November 20, 2014 23:06

You Got Me Rocking

Posted by: seanm ()
Date: November 21, 2014 02:52

Hi folks

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I just wanted to add my thoughts on the Brisbane show.

I had two lucky dip tickets for Brissie and was a little gutted to see 'Restricted Rear View' when I collected them. I explained to my 8yr old son (at his first Stones concert, in fact his very first concert... What a way to start!) that we would probably only see them when they went out onto the catwalk but we'd have the giant video screen so we'd still have a great night.

How wrong I was.

We were about 30ft from the stage (on Darryl's side) in line with the drumkit! Amazing view! As a muso I loved being able to see 'behind the curtain' and get that extra insight into the show. Saying that, I could've lived without seeing Keith's pasty, flabby torso every time he changed his shirt... winking smiley
Better still, as we were waiting for the internal doors to open, Charlie, Sam Cutler & co strolled past us on their way out of the VIP lounge so my son got a wave, smile and hello from Charlie which he not stopped talking about since. The way he tells it you'd think they were best mates now! smiling smiley

On to the show. The main thing that struck me was how much fun they were having. This was my 12th Stones show, going back to 1982, and I've never seen them all so relaxed and and obviously there to enjoy themselves. Sadly, the vibe I was getting from them was that of a bunch of guys who have come to a decision about hanging up their guitars and who aren't feeling the pressure to perform anymore. Mistakes that in the past would have been met with the patented Jagger glare were now greeted with a grin and a mugging face from Mick. Keith even dared to change the arrangement of 'Happy' on the fly, calling for an extra chorus and launching into it, leaving Chuck to catch up with him! It could've just been an end of tour thing but it just felt like more than that...

This sense of fun was evident throughout every song. They played with abandon (especially Keith) and in doing so gave probably the best performance I've ever witnessed from them. Not as technically clean as they have been, but raw, powerful rock and roll... exactly what I want from the Stones! Darryl was on top form, dancing and mugging to the crowd and not at all the usual staid sideman. Mick was channeling the spirit of a 25yr old Mick (He was using every inch of the stage area and let's face it, when it comes to working a crowd nobody else comes close!), Charlie was grinning from ear to ear for most of the show and Woody was... well, Woody! smiling smiley

To clear up a couple of things... Keith went to the mic without his guitar for YGTS because it took him by surprise. When Mick introduced him he was not listening but instead having a smoke, drink and a laugh with Pierre (it probably didn't help that Woody was milking his moment for all he was worth, playing to the crowd for what seemed like a good couple of minutes). When Keith's name was called he dropped his drink and legged it back onstage while Pierre went to sort out his acoustic guitar. Also, Mick didn't give the koala to Lisa, she wrestled it from him and ran off stage with it. smiling smiley

All in all it was a show I wouldn't have missed for anything and I'm so glad that my son was there to share it with me. I've had people telling me for months that I was wasting a ticket on an 8yr old who would not fully appreciate it but it was he who started the "whoo, whoo" from the first samba beat of SFTD which spread around the arena until 14,000 people were singing with him. Highlights were GS (Lisa was incredible), YCAGWYW (the choir sang it so beautifully) MR and SMU (it's my boy's favourite and the expression on his face as he sang along was simply indescribable).

I just wouldn't be too surprised if we got an announcement early next year that the boys have decided to call it a day. In all likelihood I have now been to my last Stones gig but what a way to go! An awesome, powerful performance from a bunch of old pros who could blow any band you care to name off the stage! For me, this line from the Brisbane Times reviewer summed it up perfectly:

"The huge thwacking sound - yes, Virginia, "thwacking" is a word - Keith Richards makes when he hits a chord on a Fender Telecaster guitar should be sent into space by researchers trying to explain what happened in the world in the past 50 years."

Sean

Posted by: seanm ()
Date: November 21, 2014 02:54

Naturalust
This is one of those pictures that begs for a caption contest... peace

Keith actually sang four songs in Brisbane but for some reason nobody wants to talk about his performance of 'I'm a Little Teapot'...

Date: November 21, 2014 09:44

Jumpin Jack Flash

and on more Brown Suggar

and one more snippet of Midnight Rambler

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: November 21, 2014 11:24

seanm
Hi folks

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I just wanted to add my thoughts on the Brisbane show.

I had two lucky dip tickets for Brissie and was a little gutted to see 'Restricted Rear View' when I collected them. I explained to my 8yr old son (at his first Stones concert, in fact his very first concert... What a way to start!) that we would probably only see them when they went out onto the catwalk but we'd have the giant video screen so we'd still have a great night.

How wrong I was.

We were about 30ft from the stage (on Darryl's side) in line with the drumkit! Amazing view! As a muso I loved being able to see 'behind the curtain' and get that extra insight into the show. Saying that, I could've lived without seeing Keith's pasty, flabby torso every time he changed his shirt... winking smiley
Better still, as we were waiting for the internal doors to open, Charlie, Sam Cutler & co strolled past us on their way out of the VIP lounge so my son got a wave, smile and hello from Charlie which he not stopped talking about since. The way he tells it you'd think they were best mates now! smiling smiley

On to the show. The main thing that struck me was how much fun they were having. This was my 12th Stones show, going back to 1982, and I've never seen them all so relaxed and and obviously there to enjoy themselves. Sadly, the vibe I was getting from them was that of a bunch of guys who have come to a decision about hanging up their guitars and who aren't feeling the pressure to perform anymore. Mistakes that in the past would have been met with the patented Jagger glare were now greeted with a grin and a mugging face from Mick. Keith even dared to change the arrangement of 'Happy' on the fly, calling for an extra chorus and launching into it, leaving Chuck to catch up with him! It could've just been an end of tour thing but it just felt like more than that...

This sense of fun was evident throughout every song. They played with abandon (especially Keith) and in doing so gave probably the best performance I've ever witnessed from them. Not as technically clean as they have been, but raw, powerful rock and roll... exactly what I want from the Stones! Darryl was on top form, dancing and mugging to the crowd and not at all the usual staid sideman. Mick was channeling the spirit of a 25yr old Mick (He was using every inch of the stage area and let's face it, when it comes to working a crowd nobody else comes close!), Charlie was grinning from ear to ear for most of the show and Woody was... well, Woody! smiling smiley

To clear up a couple of things... Keith went to the mic without his guitar for YGTS because it took him by surprise. When Mick introduced him he was not listening but instead having a smoke, drink and a laugh with Pierre (it probably didn't help that Woody was milking his moment for all he was worth, playing to the crowd for what seemed like a good couple of minutes). When Keith's name was called he dropped his drink and legged it back onstage while Pierre went to sort out his acoustic guitar. Also, Mick didn't give the koala to Lisa, she wrestled it from him and ran off stage with it. smiling smiley

All in all it was a show I wouldn't have missed for anything and I'm so glad that my son was there to share it with me. I've had people telling me for months that I was wasting a ticket on an 8yr old who would not fully appreciate it but it was he who started the "whoo, whoo" from the first samba beat of SFTD which spread around the arena until 14,000 people were singing with him. Highlights were GS (Lisa was incredible), YCAGWYW (the choir sang it so beautifully) MR and SMU (it's my boy's favourite and the expression on his face as he sang along was simply indescribable).

I just wouldn't be too surprised if we got an announcement early next year that the boys have decided to call it a day. In all likelihood I have now been to my last Stones gig but what a way to go! An awesome, powerful performance from a bunch of old pros who could blow any band you care to name off the stage! For me, this line from the Brisbane Times reviewer summed it up perfectly:

"The huge thwacking sound - yes, Virginia, "thwacking" is a word - Keith Richards makes when he hits a chord on a Fender Telecaster guitar should be sent into space by researchers trying to explain what happened in the world in the past 50 years."

Sean

What a nice post! I agree with you on your last remark...it's a thing of marvel!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 21, 2014 11:36

Loved reading your review seanm. smileys with beer

Rolling Stones - Brisbane Australia 18 November 2014
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 21, 2014 13:36

The conclusion to Sam Cutler's Brisbane story.

GETTING THRU THE BUCKET LIST - GOING TO SEE THE ROLLING STONES: PART TWO

Sam, Keith and Chesley Cutler

[www.facebook.com]

Re: Rolling Stones - Brisbane Australia 18 November 2014
Date: November 21, 2014 16:24

another Paint It Black

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-21 19:14 by blackbird.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 21, 2014 16:53

seanm
Hi folks

How wrong I was.

Sean

Yes, Yes, Yes!
A lifetime of memories...
Thank you.
Thank you, kindly!

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: November 21, 2014 23:12

crawdaddy
Loved reading your review seanm. smileys with beer

Spot on, seanm - had the same spot for the first O2 show in 2012...great view, what an unexpected bonus - and loud!! cool smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 22, 2014 11:56

Posted in the Auckland blog by the official Stones site, but actually these are from Brisbane:

Pictures by Kylie Keene

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: November 23, 2014 00:51

latvianinexile

Love this photo, thanks!!

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2137
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home