Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Street Fighting Man
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 12, 2015 13:37

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 12, 2015 13:38

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 16, 2015 00:41

kleermaker
Of course the 1973 European tour versions, especially the soundboard one from Empire Pool, make all other versions irrelevant, except those of 69 till 72, because they were the predecessors of that final and orgastic 1973 version.

But, of course, the song has been performed many times since 1973, so in no way was the Empire Pool version, or any version from 1973, the final one.

I've always enjoyed this song live and would have liked to have seen it performed more since 2012.

Olly.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 16, 2015 14:55

kleermaker
Of course the 1973 European tour versions, especially the soundboard one from Empire Pool, make all other versions irrelevant, except those of 69 till 72, because they were the predecessors of that final and orgastic 1973 version.

Of course, the studio version remains relevant as the fine painting that it is, to be enjoyed through the ages.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 16, 2015 16:33

the live versions of SFM are so much better than the studio...especially 1969-73.
I'd even listen to the recent Hyde Park live version before the studio version.

Date: August 16, 2015 16:39

Eleanor Rigby
the live versions of SFM are so much better than the studio...especially 1969-73.

Get out! angry smileytongue sticking out smiley

Date: August 16, 2015 16:46

His Majesty
Eleanor Rigby

Get out! angry smileytongue sticking out smiley

sorry...too much vino..

Date: August 16, 2015 16:47

Redhotcarpet

He's doing it wrong. grinning smiley

Date: August 16, 2015 16:48

Eleanor Rigby

sorry...too much vino..

grinning smileysmileys with beer

Date: August 16, 2015 16:51

His Majesty
Eleanor Rigby

sorry...too much vino..

grinning smileysmileys with beer

what was I thinking...

the 1969 SFM performances on the US Tour were epic.
Didn't Keith used to turn his amp up to full on this number?

Date: August 16, 2015 17:00

Eleanor Rigby

the 1969 SFM performances on the US Tour were epic.
Didn't Keith used to turn his amp up to full on this number?

Sounds like they up the levels. hot smiley

The 1973 versions are crazy! (in a great way) eye popping smiley

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 16, 2015 18:38

Taylor ruined sfm in 73, his overplaying is laughable, you cant even tell what song is being played the last min or so.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 16, 2015 19:19

Ket
Taylor ruined sfm in 73, his overplaying is laughable, you cant even tell what song is being played the last min or so.

I agree
69' was great though
One of the few songs of theirs where I feel both the studio and live versions are fantastic

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 16, 2015 19:33

I love the 72 versions. Taylor pushed the song and the band to new heights, taking a more prominent role. The crowds must have been whipped into a frenzy.

Date: August 16, 2015 20:35

Ket

Pushing a song to it's limits, great that they were able and willing to do so.

Date: August 16, 2015 20:40

Turner68
Ket

I agree
69' was great though
One of the few songs of theirs where I feel both the studio and live versions are fantastic

The 1969 versions were excellent! The studio version is perfection. Nothing beats the climax in that version, imo. I don't think any guitar could surpass that, to be honest..

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: August 16, 2015 20:56

Eleanor Rigby

Agree

Posted by: Poetry ()
Date: August 17, 2015 01:29

One of the tracks of which most live versions made in all of the eras of the band range from good to awesome, but the 73 versions to me have too much soloing and the rhytm guitar gets drowned out.

Date: July 29, 2016 13:10

Thanks to Exhibitionism which has the Philips cassette recorder take available to listen to we now know for sure that Keith, Charlie and Brian played on that initial recording.

A most revealing listen.

smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 29, 2016 14:22

One of the true masterpieces indeed. It´s just superb, legendary stuff.
Nothing beats the studio version which is just perfect, but there are quite a few very enjoyable live versions around, espescially the Live-Licks-version which is pobably their best ever. Hyde Park 2013 is marvelous for their age, they´re playing like young lions. The early 70s live versions are mostly a bit too far away from the original to be really enjoyable. This song should be played sticking as close as possible to the original arrangement.

Date: July 29, 2016 14:43

HMS
Nothing beats the studio version which is just perfect, but there are quite a few very enjoyable live versions around, espescially the Live-Licks-version which is pobably their best ever. Hyde Park 2013 is marvelous for their age, they´re playing like young lions. The early 70s live versions are mostly a bit too far away from the original to be really enjoyable. This song should be played sticking as close as possible to the original arrangement.

Then you should also praise the version you got on your first show in 1990?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 29, 2016 16:58

DandelionPowderman
HMS

Then you should also praise the version you got on your first show in 1990?

The URBAN JUNGLE performances that I've heard are awful. It's a hollow shell of the song. Of course the one on STRIPPED is stellar and the one on LIVE LICKS, well, they should've used the one from the Madison Square Garden PPV, which was excellent.

The speed and the extensive guitar runs Taylor did that appears on the Brussels bootleg really detracts from the song, which they had mastered on the 1969 tour by having it be a bit more thumping than the studio version - and none of Taylor's unawareness of the key like he had in 1973 (the version on HEADIN' FOR AN OVERLOAD is a bit slower and not so much noodling as A BRUSSELS AFFAIR). The version on GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! exemplifies how awesome the Stones were one that tour and how GYYYO! remains their best live release.

Date: July 29, 2016 17:43

Imo, the Steel-Wheels/Urban-Jungle live versions of SFM are too rushed...
Mick Taylor completely ruined it in the early 70s, less is often more. Btw he ruined Brown Sugar as well by playing a lot of weird stuff that isnt on the original version.

Date: July 29, 2016 17:56

GasLightStreet
how GYYYO! remains their best live release.

But it is heavily overdubbed!
You can make almost everything stellar by overdubbing, without technical tricks GYYO would be average at best, I suppose. GYYO: no competition for Shine A Light, which is a true and honest live document without putting on make-up afterwards like they did on GYYYO. How can you know that it is overdubbed and still think it´s their best live album...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 29, 2016 18:08

HMS
GasLightStreet
how GYYYO! remains their best live release.

But it is heavily overdubbed!
You can make almost everything stellar by overdubbing, without technical tricks GYYO would be average at best, I suppose. GYYO: no competition for Shine A Light, which is a true and honest live document without putting on make-up afterwards like they did on GYYYO. How can you know that it is overdubbed and still think it´s their best live album...
And you're of the opinion that Shine a Light has NO or extremely minimal overdubbing? A film directed by a perfectionist like Martin Scorsese?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-29 18:09 by keefriff99.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 29, 2016 19:26

Taylor's noodling on this song is largely irrelevant (although personally I think his contributions are mostly praiseworthy).

Unlike a lot of songs, for this one to work live it has stay faithful to the studio version, which is of course perfection. Other songs such as Stray Cat Blues can be reworked for live shows and still work (although the studio version is a million times better)...Wild Horses can be stripped down (it used to be just Mick and Keith for a while) and still work fine...don't need a xylophone for Under My Thumb to work on stage and etc. But STF needs to stay faithful to the original and in particular Mick has to ride that thin melody right along the edge or it loses its power and unfortunately he can't seem to do that. Just one of those songs better left unplayed.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 29, 2016 19:43

[/quote]

I've heard this kind of stuff before about "Street Fighting Man" and it bothers me. I remember 1968 pretty well. Those were turbulent times. All of the late 1960s were. I remember driving across Los Angeles with my mom during the Watts Riots and being stopped by heavily armed National Guardsmen. I remember the anger against the U.S. government during the Vietnam War.

Here's what bothers me about "Street Fighting Man": Rock stars just play at revolution.

"The time is right for violent revolution," Jagger sings. Could he actually stomach that kind of violet upheaval? All those stoned hippies from the 1960s who talked revolution only talked it.

I love the music itself in this song. Richards laid down a great guitar sound. But the lyrics always bothered me. I've been to several Stones concerts where they played this one, usually as an encore. I gazed at all the stoned people around me and thought, "This revolution is for play."

Anyway, these are just my thoughts. I never cared for all the 1960s calls for revolution and considered them phoney. The punk rock reaction to all that phoniness was wonderful and one of the reasons I liked early punk rock.[/quote]

Agree with you.
However, my reading of the song has always been that Jagger walks up to the line and looks at revolution and then rejects it. What can a poor boy do.
Jagger is always playing with ideas but ultimately keeping his distance from them. To me the song has always been ironic. And Keith never did politics, his idea of the counterculture was personal -- he wanted to be left alone to do his thing. Jagger wanted to join the establishment on his own terms and succeeded.
I always heard the last line as 'Get down' --- that's their 'political' statement. Dance, be yourself, find your groove.

Date: July 29, 2016 20:01

Keep in mind that when they recorded it, or atleast most of the instruments, they weren't thinking political/street fighting men/paris riots etc etc.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 29, 2016 21:56

IMHO no live version comes near the studio version. Still a "heavy" song when played on the radio.

Date: July 29, 2016 23:53

beachbreak
IMHO no live version comes near the studio version. Still a "heavy" song when played on the radio.

+1

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2344
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home