Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Street Fighting Man
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: July 30, 2016 03:02

The best live versions of SFM don't even try to copy the record; they transcend it. Think Ya Ya's, Brussels, even Live Licks - they all kick ass!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2016 21:50

HMS
GasLightStreet
how GYYYO! remains their best live release.

But it is heavily overdubbed!
You can make almost everything stellar by overdubbing, without technical tricks GYYO would be average at best, I suppose. GYYO: no competition for Shine A Light, which is a true and honest live document without putting on make-up afterwards like they did on GYYYO. How can you know that it is overdubbed and still think it´s their best live album...

The vocals are "heavily" overdubbed. Even "without technical tricks GYYO would be" great "at best". How you can't hear that is astounding.

But you think DIRTY WORK and SHINE A LIGHT are masterpieces. SHINE A LIGHT is horrendous, an absolute stain on the discography of their live albums.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2016 22:00

Pietro
Silver Dagger
A magnificent call to arms for the world's restless youth...

Doxa
This is the soundtrack song of that crazy year 1968... The Stones probably would not ever again be so urgent and reflecting the zeitgeist as they then were with this song. If there is ever a use for the term 'relevance', it applies just here.

I've heard this kind of stuff before about "Street Fighting Man" and it bothers me. I remember 1968 pretty well. Those were turbulent times. All of the late 1960s were. I remember driving across Los Angeles with my mom during the Watts Riots and being stopped by heavily armed National Guardsmen. I remember the anger against the U.S. government during the Vietnam War.

Here's what bothers me about "Street Fighting Man": Rock stars just play at revolution.

"The time is right for violent revolution," Jagger sings. Could he actually stomach that kind of violet upheaval? All those stoned hippies from the 1960s who talked revolution only talked it.

I love the music itself in this song. Richards laid down a great guitar sound. But the lyrics always bothered me. I've been to several Stones concerts where they played this one, usually as an encore. I gazed at all the stoned people around me and thought, "This revolution is for play."

Anyway, these are just my thoughts. I never cared for all the 1960s calls for revolution and considered them phoney. The punk rock reaction to all that phoniness was wonderful and one of the reasons I liked early punk rock.

They told me that Street Fighting Man was subversive. Course it's subversive, we said. It's stupid to think that you can start a revolution with a record. I wish you could!
- Mick Jagger, 1968

(The song) says: But what can a poor boy do, except sing in a rock and roll band - what else can I do besides sing? The song itself is the only thing that has to do with street fighting.
- Mick Jagger, 1969

I don't think (people) understand what we're trying to do, or what Mick's talking about, like on Street Fighting Man. We're not saying we want to be in the streets, but we're a rock and roll band, just the reverse... Politics is what we were trying to get away from in the first place.
- Keith Richards, on tour in 1969

I don't think violence is necessary in this society to bring about political change. I was never supportive of the Weathermen or anything like that. I NEVER believed that the violent course was necessary for our society. For other socieites perhaps, but in ours, it's totally unnecessary. It's just morally reprehensible. And that's what I'm saying in (Street Fighting Man), really. However romantic the notion of manning the barricades may seem... I mean, that romantic ideal actually brought down a government very close to (England) - the de Gaulle government in France. And in America, you had the rioting at the Democratic convention in the same year. So there was a lot of street violence going on, for very ill-defined reasons. I'm not quite sure what all that was really about, when you think about it now.
- Mick Jagger, 1987

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Hey Pietro, leave the "just play at revolution" to Che Guevara etc... because they were such a success, huh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-30 22:04 by GasLightStreet.

Street Fighting Man
Posted by: stoneskid ()
Date: September 19, 2020 04:56

Re: Street Fighting Man
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 19, 2020 06:02

They were a bit shy playing it at Altamont, confronted by some real street fighting men.

jb

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 19, 2020 06:12

Call me a bit dense, but I honestly never made the lyrical connection between Street Fighting Man and Dancing in the Streets. Makes perfect sense!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 19, 2020 12:32

I wish I was old enough to have seen been sitting in the front row at one of their 1972 and particularly 1973 concerts.That closing number of Street Fighting Man is the most exhilarating and dynamiting performance in rock history

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: September 19, 2020 17:52

When they opened with SFM at the first London Stadium concert in 2018 it blew my mind and set the tone for a great night. Everything about the studio version is perfect including the closing bars which make one of the best outro's ever recorded. I was born in '68 so can only guess what it must have been like to hear it when it was released. It's one of those songs which expertly captures the times and just preserves it perfectly. Simply put, it's a masterpiece.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: September 19, 2020 19:12

SFM also influenced Fleetwood Mac "Go your own way"

[americansongwriter.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 20, 2020 21:23

The Boss cover
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-20 21:24 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 20, 2020 21:43

This is the greatest song ever recorded by any band, that's not called the Rolling Stones or the Beatles.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: September 20, 2020 22:54

Always loved Oasis' and Rod Stewart's cover versions of this classic

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 21, 2020 05:48

stonesstein
Always loved Oasis' and Rod Stewart's cover versions of this classic

Stones original and YaYas are King!

I never liked Rod Stewart's version at all, but Oasis does a pretty good job with it.

Posted by: dunkan77 ()
Date: September 24, 2020 14:07

Hi guys

Here is a link to a book dedicated entirely to Street Fighting Man

286 pages, very documentated...a "must-have"

The Author is an italian authority on The Rolling Stones

[www.amazon.com]

Back side Street fighting Man >> Everybody Needs SOMEONE To Love?? Charlie Watts FB page
Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 1, 2023 13:07

There is a photo of the single Street Fighting Man and on the back side of it Everybody Needs SOMEONE To Love??
Is this a miss print? Does anyone know. I don’t have the single. And I don’t know of the song either. Can’t find it anywhere online either.

[www.facebook.com]

Re: Back side Street fighting Man >> Everybody Needs SOMEONE To Love?? Charlie Watts FB page
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: August 1, 2023 13:13

Christiaan
There is a photo of the single Street Fighting Man and on the back side of it Everybody Needs SOMEONE To Love??
Is this a miss print? Does anyone know. I don’t have the single. And I don’t know of the song either. Can’t find it anywhere online either.

[www.facebook.com]

Almost impossible to find a copy.
The Rolling Stones – Street Fighting Man / Everybody Needs Someone To Love
Track B - title misspelled on front cover "Someone" - "Somebody".
Label: Decca – F13204
Format: Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single
Released: 1971
Genre: Rock
Style: Classic Rock, Blues Rock
[www.discogs.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-01 13:45 by UrbanSteel.

Re: Back side Street fighting Man >> Everybody Needs SOMEONE To Love?? Charlie Watts FB page
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 1, 2023 13:16

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 1, 2023 13:18

Date: August 1, 2023 13:23

Funny with covers that are way off regarding the era when the song was recorded smiling smiley

Date: August 1, 2023 13:38

I remember my very first SFM single had '[Everybody needs' and 'Surprise Surprise' om B Side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-01 13:38 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Re: 'Street Fighting Man' backed with 'Everybody Needs Someone To Love'
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 1, 2023 14:55

Christiaan

There is a photo of the single Street Fighting Man and on the back side of it Everybody Needs SOMEONE To Love

Charlie Watts: [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com]

Decca F.13204 UK 7-45 Sweden Export 1971:

[www.45cat.com] , [www.Discogs.com]

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 3, 2023 00:01

Thank You Jos, I should have asked you directly!! Stupid of me! spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smileysmoking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 4, 2023 01:16

Just watched V FOR VANDETTA - a not so bad British movie from 2006 about a totalitarian society in near future... And during the closing credits hitted "Street Fighting Man" in its total raw glory. So apt, so powerful, so distinctive, so ageless. Jeez, one of those moments when I could only think that this must be the greatest rock and roll song ever made.

Reminds me of what Joe Strummer once said about hearing it first time from radio: 'now I know what I want to do'.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-04 01:19 by Doxa.

Date: August 4, 2023 01:39

I wonder if Einstein would have been a Rolling Stones fan. The big bang has not been proven yet, nor will it ever be.

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: August 4, 2023 02:14

Guitarist/Audio Engineer Lee Flier: The Making of the Rolling Stones 'Street Fighting Man'

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 4, 2023 02:41

Doxa
Just watched V FOR VANDETTA - a not so bad British movie from 2006 about a totalitarian society in near future... And during the closing credits hitted "Street Fighting Man" in its total raw glory. So apt, so powerful, so distinctive, so ageless. Jeez, one of those moments when I could only think that this must be the greatest rock and roll song ever made.

Reminds me of what Joe Strummer once said about hearing it first time from radio: 'now I know what I want to do'.

- Doxa

There are not many songs you can ascribe that to, but the Rolling Stones have written and played most of them.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 4, 2023 11:13

I'm not a big fan of this song.
The studio version is alright, although certainly not the best song on Beggar's Banquet. The lyrics are clever, but the "riff" is hardly a riff, it's just to full, too bombastic, not very groovy. Like a big wall of chords.
Live, it's worse. I am glad it's the last song on Get Yer YaYa's out, so I normally stop the CD when it comes on. It sounds like a messy grunge band, and not a groovy rock n roll band.

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: August 4, 2023 11:20

One of their best ever songs LIVE !!

So many amazing LIVE versions at gigs.

So many fantastic LIVE versions on albums/bootlegs/CDs etc etc

Date: August 4, 2023 11:29

A classic, and a perfect opener, imo. A song that the band still play excellently.

However, the best live version I've heard is the one from Stripped.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: August 4, 2023 12:10

I love to hear them play it live!
The current versions hit my body and as an opener it makes me scream and jump!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2121
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home