Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie Watts live at the 505 club in Sydney tonight
Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 13, 2014 15:02

Tim Ries and Bernard Fowler spent the night off with the Rolling Stones in Sydney Australia doing a jazz club show at the 505 club on 280 Cleveland Street. They had a trio of the best jazz musicians in town, probably in the country. Charlie Watts came by to listen. On the second set he was sitting in on the drums. He felt at home same second as he was there. They did WAITING ON A FRIEND, a beautiful jazz version, as you may have experienced before during the Tim Ries Rolling Stones project. Darryl Jones was on the bass. Then they did one more song, as recorded on the Charlie Watts tentet album. The club was sold out. A sign on the door said "Sold out. Really". The 150 or so fans who were there had a great time in Sydney with some excellent Rolling Stones music - with a jazz touch.

More details soon here ...

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-13 15:18 by bv.

Re: Charlie Watts live at the 505 club in Sydney tonight
Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 13, 2014 15:39

Tim Ries have been doing his Rolling Stones project gigs in Perth and Melbourne last minute on this Stones tour, so it has been hard to know when and where they have been. This time I got the info earlier this week, so I posted the details on the "Sydney travel thread". The intimate 505 jazz club was sold out by the time they went on stage. They say the capacity is may be 150 people at the club.

I have been working out the Sydney area on foot and by bike, this time I had a paper note in my hand saying three things. Hay Street to Central, Elisabeth Street to Cleveland Street, then turn left and the 505 club should be just around the corner on 280 Cleveland. So there it was. There was a note on the door when I arrived saying: "Sold Out. Really". Luckily I had my ticket safe.

The 505 is a great small and intimate club. The stage floor less than a foot high. A small bar in the rear corner. I was with friends who gave me a seat in a sofa close to the stage. Having a gig sitting in a sofa with a bottle of Coopers Pale Ale is the thing to do on a day off Stones concerts in Sydney. Also, I have been working hard days and weeks now, I needed a break. I left camera, mobile, everything behind, just had a few dollars in my pocket for a beer or two.

Charlie Watts arrived some half an hour before they were on. He was sitting almost "shaking hands" distance with me. Luckily he was left alone as a guest, even if I am sure many wanted to say hello and make selfies and so on.

The band did a set of some great jazz songs, with some Stones songs spiced into the set. I did not make any notes, so this is all from memory. Please excuse me if I mixed up a bit...

"Honky Tonk Women" was first of the Stones songs, followed by "Wild Horses" and "Satisfaction". Then they had a break, and after a while there was time for the second set. Charlie Watts had obviously asked to sit in on the drums, and he walks on stage. They do a great jazz version of "Waiting On A Friend". Darryl Jones guest played on bass for this song. Then they did a song Charlie recorded with his tentet, and then Charlie started some real drumming, like it was a Stones show, everybody on stage was surprised. Then Charlie had a big laugh, said thank you and followed the rest of the gig from the crowd. The band did "Ruby Tuesday".

A great night out between shows. And I am so glad I took a break from my work tonight and walked over to the 505 club on 280 Cleveland Street.

-----

The 505 club : [www.venue505.com]

Chanel 3 - The trio, and the "Stones" guests - band lineup:

New Yorkers Tim Ries (saxophones) and Bernard Fowler (vocals) from The Rolling Stones will be the special guests of the newly formed jazz trio 'Chanel 3' Which features the incredible talents of guitarist Carl Morgan (fresh from winning the National Jazz Competition at Wangaratta), drummer Tim Firth and bassist Jonathan Zwartz.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-13 15:56 by bv.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 13, 2014 16:25

BV, you keep topping yourself with wonderful accounts.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 13, 2014 16:51

Pics?

Posted by: erad ()
Date: November 13, 2014 16:53

Hope they do something similar in Auckland since it's almost definitely the last time they are gonna be this far down under!

Date: November 13, 2014 16:54

Nice report BV, once again it seems evident the band are having a blast on this tour and this is being expressed in their music. Charlie in particular seems to be enjoying himself.....a usually unheard of occurrence when Mr Watts hits the road!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 13, 2014 17:05

Sounds like a great night in between Stones gigs.

Good on yer bv ,and anyone else from IORR who were there. smileys with beer

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 13, 2014 17:32

I can see it in my mind's eye thanks to BV's description ..but would love some pics..

anybody get any pics to post..?

thankscool smiley

Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: November 13, 2014 18:28

Sounds great. I was lucky enough to attend a similar gig in London after Hyde Park. Charlie guested then too.

Posted by: Moza ()
Date: November 13, 2014 22:01

Anything planned for Auckland? I won't tell.

Date: November 13, 2014 23:29

Any pics/audio/film? This sounds amazing!

Posted by: morgan9 ()
Date: November 14, 2014 00:11

waiting for a friend

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 14, 2014 01:08

morgan9
waiting for a friend

[www.youtube.com]

Wow...those 50 seconds have me wanting more!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 14, 2014 15:15

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

Wow...those 50 seconds have me wanting more!

You can get more of this at least on CD or as Download:

Tim Ries - The Rolling Stones Project

(iTunes , Google Play)

Tim Ries - Stones World: The Rolling Stones Project II

(iTunes)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-14 15:30 by Irix.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 15, 2014 00:08

Bjornulf, thanks so much! I have really enjoyed the Tim Ries shows I've seen, though I never had the treat of Charlie joining in.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-15 00:11 by angee.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 15, 2014 11:39

morgan9
waiting for a friend

[www.youtube.com]

Reinforces my belief that jazz is awful ... ugh yuk ! Whatever folk see/hear in it, enjoy. As for me, it's a case of "whoosh .... right over my head" !! thumbs down thumbs down thumbs down confused smiley confused smiley confused smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 15, 2014 22:36

paulywaul
morgan9
waiting for a friend

[www.youtube.com]

Reinforces my belief that jazz is awful ... ugh yuk ! Whatever folk see/hear in it, enjoy. As for me, it's a case of "whoosh .... right over my head" !! thumbs down thumbs down thumbs down confused smiley confused smiley confused smiley

I think it sounded fine...the volumes were off but my expectations weren't for a 'mixed live album'.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home