Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

40 years since first Stones solo album
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: November 13, 2014 14:49

Today marks the 40th anniversary of Bill Wyman's solo release. Did you buy it right away and when was the last time you played it?

Re: 40 years since first Stones solo album
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 13, 2014 22:06

Bought it the day it came out. Once I got past the fact that it in no way resembled a Stones album, I really liked it. I thought it was a hoot! Gonna Get Me a Gun, Pussy, Monkey Grip; etc. Good light-hearted fun pop. Used to play it on my 8-track in my VW Beetle. As I recall, the crew I hung with at the time kinda dug it too.

That said, I bet haven't listened to it in like 35 years. Now I'm going have to dig it up!

Ross

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 13, 2014 22:19

Yes I did buy it on the day or week of release ...played? some 30 years ago.........

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 13, 2014 22:21

yep .. a novelty.

tried to like it at first.

not much to it.

second one, Stone Alone, is just as negligible..

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: November 13, 2014 22:28

I'm showing my age, and yes I bought it. What I remember:

Arguing with a friend, another Stones fan, whether "Monkey Grip" referred to heroin. It did and he was right.

All the great musicians that were put to waste on the album -- Dr. John, Betty Wright, Leon Russel.

To show you what a sucker I am, I also bought "Stone Alone," his next solo effort. I remember the Pointer Sisters were on that one.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 13, 2014 22:43

mighty stork
Today marks the 40th anniversary of Bill Wyman's solo release. Did you buy it right away and when was the last time you played it?

According to 'Rolling With The Stones' it was released on 13th May 1974.

So what's the source of the November date?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 13, 2014 23:46

CaptainCorella
mighty stork

According to 'Rolling With The Stones' it was released on 13th May 1974.

So what's the source of the November date?

In November it reentered the TOP40 because of it popularity............grinning smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 14, 2014 00:35

Not to be nitpicky, because I realize this thread is in appreciation of Bill's Monkey Grip album, but wasn't this the first solo outing by a Stone?--and, once upon a time, Ian Stewart was a member of the band.

By the way, I have Bill Wyman's eponymous 1982 Ripple Records release on CD, and I've even listened to it a couple of times... well, okay, I listened to it once all the way through, a few years or so ago--but I got through it. There's 10 tracks on it, so that's a lot of Bill Wyman to get through. And, believe me, you never forget a listening experience like that.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 14, 2014 10:41

mighty stork

I also bought it the first week it was for sale....A funny detail is that my best friend's little sister and her mates digged this Wyman record like maniacs...My own scores on the record were significantly lower, and last time I played it must be 39 years ago...winking smiley

2 1 2 0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home