Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Sympathy For The Devil (Time For A Rest?)
Posted by: Stonesfan16 ()
Date: November 19, 2013 15:45

GasLightStreet
Stonesfan16
Not sure if Keith can play anymore like in the 70s cause of his gout.

Not gout. Possibly Herberden's Nodes or osteoarthritis.

[www.ronankavanagh.ie]

[osteoarthritis.about.com]

Oh yeah, thank you. Let's hope that it's not getting even worse as it is today.

Date: November 19, 2013 16:04

Keith's doing fine. Check from 4:30

Date: November 19, 2013 16:10

Why he's not playing like this on SFTD? If he would like to, he could play like on B2B or 40 Licks really good guitar riffs I guess!

Date: November 19, 2013 16:15

Stonesfan16
Why he's not playing like this on SFTD? If he would like to, he could play like on B2B or 40 Licks really good guitar riffs I guess!

When you're walking 50 meters from where you normally play, things will sound different. And if you wanna interact with the audience, you probably wanna play small fragments.

I think Keith today needs to stay 100 percent focused for playing decent guitar solos - but he definitely still can do it smiling smiley

Date: November 19, 2013 18:09

Yes he can. winking smiley He does some very good solos on this tour by now. But would be great if he would touch his crowd during Miss You and give all concentration to his solo. Then we would have extraordinary solos again!

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: November 20, 2013 01:44

despite it's a crowd pleaser, keith's guitar solo is embarrassing and a shambles since at least 1994. he plays it in a relative minor key with zero resemblance to the album is my first gripe besides it just sounding clumsy. now, ron can play it and alludes to it usually at the end. if he can do it, let him! at least it would stand a chance of sounding something like the studio version, or at least closer to 'ya-ya's' era.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 20, 2013 03:09

It's not that hard core Stones fans are pissed at them playing old numbers, it's the SAME old numbers over and over that have taken all the joy out of seeing them. Even their 'rarities' ain't so rare. In that sense the band no longer belongs to Stones fans. They belong to concertgoers and there's a big difference. I attended a Brian Wilson concert this summer and I was emotionally overwhelmed to finally hear those songs live. Because I'd never heard them live. But I wouldn't do it again and again and again. Even Wilson played it right, doing some 'warhorses', but also doing the entirety of Pet Sounds.

I read on an Australian newspaper blog about a 32-year-old who is so excited about them coming next year because he's never seen them. I'm happy for him. He probably won't know or care that the piano and bass just aren't right. Or that the band was once super amazing. And this newby will probably jump with excitement when they play Sympathy For The Devil. It ain't about us anymore. I only come here now to see if they'll be releasing any more archival material. It's an empty Christmas when all new for sale is Hyde Park.

Yes, I'm disappointed in the Stones for giving very, very few artistic crumbs on stage any more. It's about keeping the customer satisfied. I thought they were going to grow old and expand, when in reality they've contracted to a narrow range.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 20, 2013 09:36

24FPS
It's not that hard core Stones fans are pissed at them playing old numbers, it's the SAME old numbers over and over that have taken all the joy out of seeing them. Even their 'rarities' ain't so rare. In that sense the band no longer belongs to Stones fans. They belong to concertgoers and there's a big difference. I attended a Brian Wilson concert this summer and I was emotionally overwhelmed to finally hear those songs live. Because I'd never heard them live. But I wouldn't do it again and again and again. Even Wilson played it right, doing some 'warhorses', but also doing the entirety of Pet Sounds.

I read on an Australian newspaper blog about a 32-year-old who is so excited about them coming next year because he's never seen them. I'm happy for him. He probably won't know or care that the piano and bass just aren't right. Or that the band was once super amazing. And this newby will probably jump with excitement when they play Sympathy For The Devil. It ain't about us anymore. I only come here now to see if they'll be releasing any more archival material. It's an empty Christmas when all new for sale is Hyde Park.

Yes, I'm disappointed in the Stones for giving very, very few artistic crumbs on stage any more. It's about keeping the customer satisfied. I thought they were going to grow old and expand, when in reality they've contracted to a narrow range.

perfectly said...totally agree.

Date: November 20, 2013 10:08

Yet we complain when they dig out Emotional Rescue...

At this stage they probably aren't capable of swapping out 50 percent of the setlist.

People were going berzerk during Miss You, IORR and SFTD in Hyde Park. No wonder they keep on playing those songs.

Altering the arrangements should be doable, though. I wouldn't cry if they skipped the samba drums or Chuck's "piano" on SFTD myself. They won't do it, though...

Date: November 20, 2013 14:02

They could swap out 50% if they actually tried.
Surely they could practise 10 simple chuck berry covers they did back in the 60's and switch them between shows..
That's just one example of an easy kill as KRs can surely play them.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 20, 2013 14:44

In an ideal world, I'd really love to hear an acoustic take on Sympathy - have heard it done by others and it absolutely rocks - but it's never going to happen, is it?

Date: November 20, 2013 15:06

Ha..maybe they will put mick taylor on acoustic?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 20, 2013 17:55

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
The Miami PPV performance from the Voodoo tour was stellar... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Except for your "favourite" SFTD-solo, that is winking smiley

Best Keith solo ever!!??

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 20, 2013 18:08

Eleanor Rigby
24FPS

perfectly said...totally agree.

That indeed sums it up. At what point is 'glad that they're still playing' still enough for a true/diehard fan? I get it. For someone that hasn't seen them live pre-Steel Wheels it would probably be/is a treat to see them now regardless of them playing it safe. They get to hear all those great songs live!!!

Meanwhile people that have seen them countless times are waiting for something interesting to happen. I would think on the 50 tour that would only be Emotional Rescue...

I didn't see Brdiges or Licks live in person but based on the records and videos etc they seemed to have found something with those tours, more so with No Security, in not only song selection but their playing. They didn't play as many warhorses on that tour.

The people want to hear the classics...

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home