Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Sympathy For The Devil (Time For A Rest?)
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 18, 2013 20:24

Having witnessed the Detroit '69 show Iggy Pop talked about the "audacity" of the band to perform live versions of songs that varied from the studio versions. He was certainly talking about SFTD and probably UMT. SCB may fall into that group as well. As far as I can tell Detroit may have been the first scripted Taylor solo performance on SFTD. That and later performances are thrilling to hear as the band surges behind the solos of its new lead guitarist. You are witnessing a band in transition right before your eyes and ears. For the last couple of decades the band has sucked the life out of this song and turned it into a cliche. It's not the song, but the performance. In the last week I was twice surprised to hear the song on the radio and it is still compelling, especially Jagger's vocals.

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: November 18, 2013 20:31

Drop it or play it like Ya Yas. Keith needs to start the song by playing that signature riff he did on Ya Yas. To me, that's the greatest riff of all time. Also, if they played it with Mick Taylor and he added the tasty fills he did on Ya Yas, I could listen to it every night. And they should all trade off on solos. Keith can take the solo after the 3rd verse, Ron the 1st solo after the 4th verse, then Taylor can finish it off. That's the way to do it.

Posted by: Stonesfan16 ()
Date: November 18, 2013 20:36

Not sure if Keith can play anymore like in the 70s cause of his gout.

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 18, 2013 20:42

More Hot Rocks
They didn't play it during the No Security tour. Din't miss it.

You left early. It was the encore

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 18, 2013 20:44

hot stuff
time to send that song to bed......that along with t.dice...

and jagger

Jeroen

Date: November 18, 2013 20:45

Stonesfan16

Neither Keith, Taylor or Ronnie can play like they did back then anymore smiling smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 18, 2013 20:53

Stonesfan16

What does his goat have to do with it.............

jeroen

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 18, 2013 21:00

The way they play it now: drop it.

The piano sounds like a Fisher-Price toy that drives the entire song. The guitar solos are horrible.

It started out ok this tour, but the more the tour went on, the worse it got with less and less guitars.

Posted by: Stonesfan16 ()
Date: November 18, 2013 21:09

corriecas
Stonesfan16

jeroen

I'm not sure if it's so easy to play fast solos with very swollen fingers. It's more difficult to hit the notes.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 18, 2013 22:33

I am certain to be in the minority when I say that I have never been a huge fan of the song. I will admit that Keith's guitar during that first note in Chicago of this year was phenomenal. Sympathy is one of those songs that so many people like... real crowd pleasure. Just not for me. Give me CYHMK/Rambler/LittleQueenie/etc.. any day over Sympathy.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 18, 2013 23:01

DandelionPowderman
SFTD even was the encore at some shows in 1999:

The set list - May 31-1999:

Jumping Jack Flash
You Got Me Rocking
Bitch
Respectable
Gimme Shelter
Honky Tonk Women
Ruby Tuesday
Saint of Me
Some Girls
Out Of Control
Paint It Black
-- Introductions --
All About You (Keith)
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Route 66 (B-stage)
Get Off Of My Cloud (B-stage)
Midnight Rambler (B-stage)
Tumbling Dice
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Sympathy for the Devil (encore)

Sorry. You are right

Date: November 18, 2013 23:07

Stonesfan16
corriecas
Stonesfan16

jeroen

I'm not sure if it's so easy to play fast solos with very swollen fingers. It's more difficult to hit the notes.

He did good on other songs that are just as fast.

SFTD is obviously chosen as a showcase number where he interacts with the audience. He won't care about any bum notes while doing hi fives with the fans smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-18 23:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: November 18, 2013 23:13

flacnvinyl
I am certain to be in the minority when I say that I have never been a huge fan of the song. I will admit that Keith's guitar during that first note in Chicago of this year was phenomenal. Sympathy is one of those songs that so many people like... real crowd pleasure. Just not for me. Give me CYHMK/Rambler/LittleQueenie/etc.. any day over Sympathy.

I'm in your minority as well. I recognize its greatness, but its the one song out the more popular Stones tunes that I've never really been into. I was watching closely during Chicago 2 to see if Keith was as bad as had been rumored. He did pretty well, from reviews it seems that I caught him on one of his best shows of the tour. Don't think it helps matters that its one of the "Keith walk around" songs.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:42

This was a strong show performance by Keith and a strong performance of SFTD pre-Taylor solo. The menace and drive of the guitars match the lyrics and vocals. Listen to Jagger's introduction and the audience comment at the end. SFTD is from 8:30 to 14:00.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:48

flacnvinyl

The audience got certainly ho hum when they forced it on us at the first Los Angeles show. They're driven it so far into the ground there's no darkness to it anymore. And Mick looked old and silly in that red feather thing.

Posted by: SWAYZ ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:58

Stonesfan16
Now, 8 years later, Keith has even more problems with the solo. They should go back to the B2B version of the song. It sounds very good. And Keith have to practice his solos in this song winking smiley
The B2B versions were great! Vegas and St louis ppv versions were awesome! Mick was singing his ass of on it too. He sounds terrible and whiny singing it now. DROP IT!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:59

I think they should keep the sampled drum loop. I mean... if Charlie had to exit the stage in the middle of the song, what would keep the beat.

It worked perfectly in Ottawa 2005 when we watched him leave the stage.
Oh yeah, Keith left the stage during Sympathy too. Good thing we have Chuck holding the rhythm down.

Rock and ROLL!
... or something.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-19 04:00 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 19, 2013 05:15

Stonesfan16

Not gout. Possibly Herberden's Nodes or osteoarthritis.

[www.ronankavanagh.ie]

[osteoarthritis.about.com]

Date: November 19, 2013 10:25

Heberden's node it is.

Date: November 19, 2013 10:50

More Hot Rocks
DandelionPowderman
SFTD even was the encore at some shows in 1999:

The set list - May 31-1999:

Jumping Jack Flash
You Got Me Rocking
Bitch
Respectable
Gimme Shelter
Honky Tonk Women
Ruby Tuesday
Saint of Me
Some Girls
Out Of Control
Paint It Black
-- Introductions --
All About You (Keith)
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Route 66 (B-stage)
Get Off Of My Cloud (B-stage)
Midnight Rambler (B-stage)
Tumbling Dice
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Sympathy for the Devil (encore)

Sorry. You are right

You were probably thinking of the Voodoo Lounge '94 U.S. tour.

Sympathy for the Devil was NOT played at all for the first 2 and a half months of that tour.

August 1st,1994 to October 14th,1994 .... no Sympathy for the Devil. It was not played at the RPM Club in July of '94 either. The Voodoo Lounge Tour debut was on October 15th,1994.

Initially,pre - October 15th,'94 , "Love is Strong" was played after the 2 Richards lead vocal songs. Sympathy was moved into that slot in the set list and "Love is Strong" was moved into an earlier slot in the set lists. Then,as the tour moved on into 1995,"Love is Strong" was demoted into a rare song in rotation with numbers such as "Rock and a Hard Place" .

I don't recall mass ticket refunds being demanded during the summer of '94 .

Date: November 19, 2013 10:53

They think it's a fun song to play - simple as that, I believe...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 19, 2013 12:26

KeithNacho
crholmstrom
I saw it once where it evolved into a big tribal jam at the end. Very cool/

It was around 1975-1976 i suppose
No, this was either Voodoo Lounge or maybe Bridges to Babylon. The details get fuzzy with age.winking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 19, 2013 12:43

Doesn't matter what we think here. They are a nostalgia act since decades. 3/4 of the setlist will be focused on more than 40 year old songs. Maybe 10 percent of the songs will be younger than 25 years old.

Date: November 19, 2013 13:09

<They are a nostalgia act since decades.>

How can they not be?

Until they record a new album, and those songs heavily dominate the setlist, they will remain a nostalgia act.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 19, 2013 15:12

DandelionPowderman

How can they not be?

Until they record a new album, and those songs heavily dominate the setlist, they will remain a nostalgia act.

Maybe a revival band is the better word then. If they had a setlist more evenly distributed on the different decades I wouldn't necessarily call them a revival (nostalgia) act.

Date: November 19, 2013 15:15

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman

How can they not be?

Maybe a revival band is the better word then. If they had a setlist more evenly distributed on the different decades I wouldn't necessarily call them a revival (nostalgia) act.

We can thank ourselves, I believe.

They see the reactions on IORR or other forums/social media after they've played sets with many newer songs like Rough Justice, You Got Me Rocking, Rock And A Hard Place or This Place Is Empty smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 19, 2013 15:22

The Miami PPV performance from the Voodoo tour was stellar... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 19, 2013 15:22

I'd like them to make an effort playing new songs setlists. But they are empty of new ideas, and all they can do is play warhorses to death; which is what general public waits from the RS

Date: November 19, 2013 15:29

GasLightStreet
The Miami PPV performance from the Voodoo tour was stellar... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Except for your "favourite" SFTD-solo, that is winking smiley

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 19, 2013 15:38

Time for a rest i think.

Or a stripped down version without the las vegas lights etc.

But saying that i thought the same about T/Dice, but thought the Hyde park was the best i heard in ages - smokey & blues feel to it.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1444
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home