Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Stray Cat Blues
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 19, 2015 18:26

Stray Cat Blues is in my opinion one of the defining tracks of the Stones. A blues scheme, yes, but played (studio) hard and fast almost like a Rock song. The climax at the end of the track is a thrill. Complete different atmosphere on Ya Ya's. Here it is suddenly a song between Blues and Ballad. One of the few tracks that I like more on the studio album than on any live album. The darkness and the dangerousness of the studio track is unmatched.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 25, 2017 11:45

Agree.
But this live version is purely fantastic.

[www.youtube.com]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-25 11:45 by powerage78.

Date: August 25, 2017 11:55

powerage78
Agree.

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 25, 2017 12:11

powerage78
Agree.

[www.youtube.com]

Wow, yes!

Date: August 25, 2017 12:16

matxil
powerage78
Agree.

[www.youtube.com]

Wow, yes!

It's the version on SF (Super)Deluxe (The Roundhouse).

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 25, 2017 12:27

Ah yes thanks

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 25, 2017 14:22

The birth of Hard Rock.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 25, 2017 14:41

Monsoon Ragoon
The birth of Hard Rock.

Maybe not on its own...

....but certainly one of Rock's "little swimmers"

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 25, 2017 18:29

What a beautifully menacing blues scum rock. The Stones make R Kelly look like an amateur. The Brit inviasion and swinging London. These guys were rock and roll pirates and undoubtedly they all spent a lot of intimate time with underaged girls and boys. The Stones and Beatles were a rolling rock and roll orgy. I bet all those mothers didn't know their kids could scratch like that!

Wonderfully raunchy guitars. Propelled by the engine room. Charlie and Bill are in total sync and propulse the song like a sex craved juggernaut. Jagger is at his most slyly innocent and debauched self. He sings like a slithering sex lizard hunting for prey. Sucking nubile flesh of all its innocence and pre-pubescent awakening. The end fade out jam is spectacular. A cacophony of primal lust and abandon, loose, tight, and all in between. A perfect slab of hedonistic music.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 26, 2017 13:59

I'm a big fan of the Surrey rehearsals late February 1968. There you have an embryonic take. And there is a full take and an instrumental version on the OMS 4CD set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-26 14:00 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 26, 2017 17:50

This, along with Mother's Little Helper and STFD really separated the Stones from The Beatles and every other popular band of the time, at least to me.

They didn't want to hold your hand or take you on a magical mystery tour and even talk about Maxwell's Silver Hammer landing on someone's head, light and comically. Nope, they were the guys your parents warned you about. They were talking of seducing underaged girls, and how unhappy suburban moms were self medicating just to get thru their boring, crappy lives. SFTD and talk of the Kennedys....at such a raw time.

Growing up a nice Catholic altar boy, they were the opposite of school and home life and I was totally enthralled with them.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 26, 2017 20:39

buffalo7478
They didn't want to hold your hand or take you on a magical mystery tour and even talk about Maxwell's Silver Hammer landing on someone's head, light and comically. Nope, they were the guys your parents warned you about. They were talking of seducing underaged girls, and how unhappy suburban moms were self medicating just to get thru their boring, crappy lives. SFTD and talk of the Kennedys....at such a raw time.

Seems I've read this comparison before...almost word for word it's such a cliche.

Meanwhile, John Lennon was writing and singing:

Black cloud crossed my mind
Blue mist round my soul
Feel so suicidal
Even hate my rock 'n' roll
Wanna die yeah wanna die

A far cry from "hold your hand or take you on a magical mystery tour and ...Maxwell's Silver Hammer", and that's just one obvious example of how off base and silly that above comparison is.

As for Stray Cat Blues - one of the heaviest and best rock and roll tunes ever recorded...period.
While there are some nice live versions, nothing compares to the thumping studio version imo.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: August 27, 2017 02:06

It was nice to hear them dust off this gem on the Licks Tour.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 28, 2017 07:44

whitem8
What a beautifully menacing blues scum rock. The Stones make R Kelly look like an amateur. The Brit inviasion and swinging London. These guys were rock and roll pirates and undoubtedly they all spent a lot of intimate time with underaged girls and boys. The Stones and Beatles were a rolling rock and roll orgy. I bet all those mothers didn't know their kids could scratch like that!

Wonderfully raunchy guitars. Propelled by the engine room. Charlie and Bill are in total sync and propulse the song like a sex craved juggernaut. Jagger is at his most slyly innocent and debauched self. He sings like a slithering sex lizard hunting for prey. Sucking nubile flesh of all its innocence and pre-pubescent awakening. The end fade out jam is spectacular. A cacophony of primal lust and abandon, loose, tight, and all in between. A perfect slab of hedonistic music.

Well...yes, yes and yes. What a review! But this version simply deserves it. It's a highpoint, a climax, truly "a perfect slab of hedonistic music" - and a faithful reminder that the Stones rightfully earned the title "Greatest Rock 'n Roll Band In The World".

Date: October 19, 2018 15:29

I wonder what guitar Keith used for the studio version of this track. The guitars sound very thin. Seemed like he favored the 3PU Les Paul, but it does not sound much like a Gibson.

Date: October 19, 2018 15:39

Palace Revolution 2000
I wonder what guitar Keith used for the studio version of this track. The guitars sound very thin. Seemed like he favored the 3PU Les Paul, but it does not sound much like a Gibson.

Neither did the black beauty on th SFTD. Might be the Supreme that made that sound..

Date: October 19, 2018 15:50

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

Neither did the black beauty on th SFTD. Might be the Supreme that made that sound..

Yes good point. That's the ting about studio: so much can be done to alter the sound. Still, - this was '68, this was the Stones who never stray too much from original sound of a given instrument, and for SFTD IMO it sounds like a Gibson.The Black Beauty is the one I was referring to btw.
For the BB sessions he still had his Guild; and he also MIGHT have had the blond LP Standard w/ the Bigsby. I think that Taylor bought it during the BB sessions from him.
Like you say Dandy, the Amp and a Gibson cold be the answer. I had sort of forgotten about his Standard, his main go-to guitar for a few years. I was mainly imagining the 3 PU Black Beauty, and he seemed to often use a dirty sound on that one.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 19, 2018 16:04

Monsoon Ragoon
The birth of Hard Rock.

It might not be the birth of hard rock, but it is the progenitor of “Sweet Home Alabama.”

Date: October 19, 2018 18:57

MelBelli
Monsoon Ragoon
The birth of Hard Rock.

It might not be the birth of hard rock, but it is the progenitor of “Sweet Home Alabama.”

Both of these posts are mystifying.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 19, 2018 19:01

Palace Revolution 2000
MelBelli
Monsoon Ragoon
The birth of Hard Rock.

Both of these posts are mystifying.

Lol...

Never equated or heard a connection between Sweet Home Alabama w/Stray Cat Blues,
but if I let my imagination stray into the abyss, I suppose there are some vague similarities...the three chord pattern?

Date: October 19, 2018 19:45

The Ya Yas-version has a more similar chord structure to Sweet Home Alabama.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 19, 2018 20:01

DandelionPowderman
The Ya Yas-version has a more similar chord structure to Sweet Home Alabama.

Yep, add the initial arpeggio too

C

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 19, 2018 20:53

Not just the same arpeggiated D C G pattern, but the F turnaround, too.

Date: October 20, 2018 13:23

MelBelli
Not just the same arpeggiated D C G pattern, but the F turnaround, too.

You know Mel B that is a good observe. While I called it mystifying it was obvious that you refered to the D-C G pattern. I don't quite agree because there are many songs with those changes, and it about the feel, plus SCB builds towards that big A always, or the inverted chorus of C-G-D.
But the F turnaround that is in there - that is a good call.

Brian on Stray Cat Blues
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 23, 2019 17:51

What is Brian’s mellotron playing on Stray Cat Blues? Is it the organ sound on the outro or is it other sounds.

Re: Brian on Stray Cat Blues
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 24, 2019 00:56

This is a time when we need ----- His Majesty ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 24, 2019 05:29

We always need His Majesty.

Brian on Stray Cat Blues
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 23, 2019 17:42

Can someone explain what sounds Brian’s mellotron is playing.Is it the organ sound you hear most clearly as the song goes into the outro?Or is he adding other sounds as well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 17:45 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 24, 2019 00:57

This is one for -- His Majesty ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 24, 2019 05:29

The record's stuck...the record's stuck...the record's stuck...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2032
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home