Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: bands who have opened for the stones
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 22, 2005 23:26

VH opened for the Stones? That must have been great! As you both said ....the 'Real" VH..Sammy who?

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 23, 2005 00:00

I was lucky enough to be attend the Orlando show and the New Orleans show with Van Halen. Great, great concerts.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: June 23, 2005 02:40

DGA35 wrote: "Also, I think the Stones would invite AC/DC to open for them again. I think they had a great time together, especially when Angus and Malcolm joined them for Rock Me Baby. Stones are probably the only band AC/DC would consider opening for."

The Stones "invited" AC/DC because they had problems to sell as much tickets as they wanted to (e.g. Oberhausn). BTW: the millionaires had to pay AC/DC (I guess about 500 000 Dollars for one show).

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 23, 2005 02:48

Hi MAF,

Yes, I realize the reason why the Stones invited AC/DC, although their first show together was in Australia at one of the smaller venues. As far as AC/DC getting paid half a million, they could make more doing their own shows. They sold out Olympic Stadium in Munich on their last tour, which is the SUL DVD and there were over 60,000 there. As well, most, if not all, of their shows in North America were sold out, with multiple dates in many cities.
I'd like to see them open again next year in Europe. I'm sure they'd draw huge crowds in every city they played in. Especially since AC/DC has a new album coming out in the fall so they'd have new material to promote.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: June 23, 2005 04:38

Hey DGA35 & Shawn20 I was at the New Orleans show in 78 and both the Orlando 81 shows. I found a picture I took of VH at the end of the show but it is not exactly the same shot of them as on the DD CD. I guess it was taken at the second show. they are in a different position and different outfits. If you want me to send it to you let me know where to send it. Another band for the list I did not notice was The Doobie Brothers who as you both know were an opener in New Orleans 78.

DOOBIE BROTHERS

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 23, 2005 05:31

Danko Jones, Peter Maffay

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 23, 2005 05:45

Chuck Berry in 1969 was for me the best opener for the Stones. Talk about warming up the crowd. History says the Stones used to work hard at featuring strong acts. Some clunkers on the past few tours IMHO. Would have enjoyed seeing Furry Lewis with them. Was that in 78?

Posted by: ADRIAN_L ()
Date: June 23, 2005 10:54

the hives- stockholm '03
Primal Scream - Twickers '03
The Lovebugs- Zurich '03
The Pretenders- Barcelona '03

Date: June 23, 2005 15:44

Fredluvzstones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey DGA35 & Shawn20 I was at the New Orleans
> show in 78 and both the Orlando 81 shows. I found
> a picture I took of VH at the end of the show but
> it is not exactly the same shot of them as on the
> DD CD. I guess it was taken at the second show.
> they are in a different position and different
> outfits. If you want me to send it to you let me
> know where to send it. Another band for the list I
> did not notice was The Doobie Brothers who as you
> both know were an opener in New Orleans 78.
>
> DOOBIE BROTHERS

Hi Fred, I'd love that photo. I only saw the first show of the STones / VH bill in Orlanda. It was hot, hot, hot! I sent you some photos of the Stones at the Dome in 78. I would love the shots of Van Halen. I recall seeing the back of the album cover of DD and noticing the raked stage and the Stones banner near the back of the crowd.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 23, 2005 15:59

One band that opned for the Stones that I wish I got to see was

Blind Melon

Date: June 23, 2005 16:02

Hound Dog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One band that opned for the Stones that I wish I
> got to see was
>
> Blind Melon
>
> Gonna find my way to heaven, cause I did my time
> in hell

I saw Blind Melon open for the Stones in 94 at Columbia, SC. They really did a good job that afternoon. The lead singer announced, "I know everyone here only wants to hear the Stones, but we'll do our best." And they did.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 23, 2005 17:19

Shawn, that sounds like something Shannon Hoon would have said, its too bad drugs killed him. I think he was very talented and would have made so much more great music if he were still alive.

Date: June 23, 2005 19:17

Shawn20 we were at the Columbia SC show also. Did you happen to make the Tampa No security or Jax FL Voodoo Lounge?
Fred Hardin
SAV/GA
Pleased to meet you........

Date: June 23, 2005 19:21

Front row at the Columbia show in 94. We had front row to the B-stage seats at the Tampa show. In the beerline I saw Paul O'Neill and David Wells of the New York Yankees. I was at the Jacksonville show for the Steel Wheels concert.

Date: June 23, 2005 19:41

Shawn you are correct that was Steel Wheels my bad. All Great Shows for sure man. I look forward to getting to meet you.
Fred Hardin
SAV/GA
Pleased to meet you.......

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2064
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home