Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: The Storm
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 6, 2014 18:33

There is some nice guitar play in this track. Overall, yeah, it's a bit by-the-numbers. But so is Back Of My Hand.

Fancyman, very straight forward and essentially pedestrian, has some great guitar work in it.

Cook Cook is probably the best due to it's more Elmore James swing feel that it has, along with that lurchy turn around from the 4 to the 5 to the 4 all in a couple of measures or whatever in a way that's not 'normal', which they do a couple of times.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 7, 2014 14:28

I love the slow bluesy numbers. This one is great. Along w/ Jump On Top Of Me, they were the best 2 b-sides for that time period.

I don't mind the tracks like Fancy, Cook, and Wish I'd Never, but I don't go out of my way to listen to them either.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 8, 2014 04:28

Read the following post from last night as the for me embarassing result of my having confused the important details about the origin of the song ("when" ). confused smiley
Likewise my constructions built on it.eye rolling smiley
I should have been contented by drinking my wine. Only.

DandelionPowderman
A nice B-side, like Fancyman Blues, Cook Cook Blues and Wish I'd Never Met You.

All good blues tracks that wouldn't necessarily have improved the albums.

I have to admit that I now only some minutes ago heard "The Storm" for the very first time. By the way, I have got the three songs, named in the quote, on vinyl maxis. I like those songs better than most of STEEL WHEELS. However, I agree that they probably would not have suited the album, if they had been simply added to STEEL WHEELS.

I am quite puzzled that I did not know about the existence of "The Storm" before this track talk thread was introduced.

As to the song, which I have heard only once from the Internet on my mobile, I was fascinated. At the moment, as a first impression, it is more interesting to me than the almost blues rock version of "Stop Breaking Down". I need to listen to "The Storm" several times, though, before I would know if that verdict will stand.

I therefore want to ask: Does "The Storm" exist as part of a vinyl release? If not, it explains why I have not come over it, even if I ought to have read about it, of course. The fact that I had not, really makes me blush.

All those blues songs or blues related songs from then, inspires one asking thought to me: Was it in any phase up to the release of STEEL WHEELS a possible option in the minds of Jagger and/ or Richards then to release a blues album? Or rather, one side of an album (thinking in vinyl terms)? The answer is probably no. But I think I would have loved the Stones to have reorganized STEEL WHEELS into an album, for instance, with a blues oriented B-side. Anyhow, it could be amusing to play with the idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-08 13:06 by Witness.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 8, 2014 08:08

probably the best track cut for VL!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 8, 2014 08:43

Witness
Does "The Storm" exist as part of a vinyl release?

Love is Strong vinyl single B-side:

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 8, 2014 12:41

I see. Before posting last night, I ought to have read the opening post once again and got the details right about time and context. Thank you for kindly correcting me, both of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-08 12:42 by Witness.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: November 8, 2014 16:15

I flipped for this track when I heard it on the Love Is Strong CD single. I see that there's not a hell of a lot of enthusiasm for it on here, but I think it's fantastic. A successful result at knocking off a blues that isn't strictly twelve-bar, and is memorable from the first time you hear it. The sound of a great band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-08 16:16 by Denny.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 9, 2014 07:47

I didn't care for the song when I bought the LIS CD single back in 94. I bought another LIS CD single that had The Storm, So Young and a LIS remix by Bob Clearmountain. I like So Young and wish that was included on Voodoo.
Also, I wish Your Precious Love was included on Steel Wheels!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 9, 2014 09:42

I wrote the B-side of the single Love Is Strong (on demand). Don Was said, Well, you know, we should have the B-sides done this week. It was always, like, next week we were gonna do the B-sides. And when we were there the last night in Dublin, Don said, Well, we should really have done the B-sides. I said, Well, I didn't do any B-sides. I didn't write any B-sides. He said, Well, couldn't you just go and write them? This is like at the end of the 6 weeks. And I said, Don, I feel, like, really tired. I do not want to write the B-sides. And he said, Well, why can't you just go in the corner of the cafeteria and do them? I said, Okay, I'll try it. So I went in and wrote The Storm and the next one, which is called Jump on Top of Me, and the next one, which is called, ah... (laughs). I forget what I called it! It's called Drive something - I don't know - Ride All Night or something. I can't remember; I changed it. But anyway, I wrote the three of them in one go. Walked in the room and just sat down and played them. And then we did them all in one take. So they were written and played all in one take. So that's writing on demand. And then I'll finish the lyrics up later.
- Mick Jagger, June 1994

(I've got an old Dobro that I call) Uncle Harvey... I bought it from John Dopyera, one of the Dopyera brothers (founders of Dobro). It's very special... It's a gold-plated and wooden Dobro. In fact, Mick's playing it on The Storm, which is the B-side of the first single, Love Is Strong.
- Ron Wood, June 1994

I like The Storm, which is the first B-side. I'd hoped that was going to be on the album, but you can't have everything.
- Ron Wood, 1994

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 19, 2020 14:32

Great song.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 20, 2020 03:44

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 20, 2020 07:34

LeonidP
I love the slow bluesy numbers. This one is great. Along w/ Jump On Top Of Me, they were the best 2 b-sides for that time period.

I don't mind the tracks like Fancy, Cook, and Wish I'd Never, but I don't go out of my way to listen to them either.

Another nice Voodoo B side is I’m Gonna Drive.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1780
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home