Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13
Re: Perth show #2 Australia 1 November 2014 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: TE ()
Date: November 1, 2014 22:28

71Tele
I know it's been said, but using Mick Taylor as a one-song special guest is complete waste of his talent, and an insult to his contribution to the ban during what some of us believe were their most creative and productive years. They play Loving Cup and don't include Taylor? Come on.

Been said yes.

He is happy (...), Stones happy, we keep on ...

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 1, 2014 22:36

Date: November 1, 2014 22:48

71Tele
I know it's been said, but using Mick Taylor as a one-song special guest is complete waste of his talent, and an insult to his contribution to the ban during what some of us believe were their most creative and productive years. They play Loving Cup and don't include Taylor? Come on.

He didn't play on the LC studio version. Otherwise I agree with you.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 1, 2014 23:18

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

He didn't play on the LC studio version. Otherwise I agree with you.

thumbs up

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: November 1, 2014 23:20

JumpinJeppeFlash
Roadster32

Looks like Mick's playing a 5-String Tele. Never seen him doing this before.

He has been doing that for a long time on different songs, for example Some Girls on shine a light movie.

Through the years, Mick has learned about the 5-string Tele sound and open tuning. you bet. So I would recon that this is his own 5-string Tele in open tuning - he doesn't have to borrow one of Keith's Teles like Mikawber or something, I think...

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: November 1, 2014 23:29

crowd seems way more enthusiastic than perth 1, lot's of positive responses to out of control...

Date: November 1, 2014 23:41

waterrats
JumpinJeppeFlash
Roadster32

Looks like Mick's playing a 5-String Tele. Never seen him doing this before.

He has been doing that for a long time on different songs, for example Some Girls on shine a light movie.

Through the years, Mick has learned about the 5-string Tele sound and open tuning. you bet. So I would recon that this is his own 5-string Tele in open tuning - he doesn't have to borrow one of Keith's Teles like Mikawber or something, I think...

He played a five-stringer when he wrote Brown Sugar. On Stop Breaking Down as well. He plays open G on songs like SG, Undercover, Sad Sad Sad, Highwire, Hold On To Your Hat, Don't Stop etc.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 2, 2014 00:03

Since we're talking about Mick's 5 string TC, I'd say he started playing it on "Don't Stop" during Licks?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 2, 2014 00:05

71Tele

He probably is only in it for the money and a nice trip . Otherwise he would have stayed at home. I don't blame him.

Rolling Stones - Perth Australia 1 November 2014
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 2, 2014 00:19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 02:01 by bye bye johnny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 02:02 by bye bye johnny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 02:03 by bye bye johnny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 02:04 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 2, 2014 00:30

Taylor's modest input on the 2012-13 jubilee tour makes sense to me. It was just a matter of showing up for the reunion. But this 2014 On Fire is more of a regular Stones tour.
So, from that perspective I don't understand his restricted contribution.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 2, 2014 00:32

71Tele
I know it's been said, but using Mick Taylor as a one-song special guest is complete waste of his talent, and an insult to his contribution to the band during what some of us believe were their most creative and productive years. They play Loving Cup and don't include Taylor? Come on.

Except Jagger doesn't jump on a stage to celebrate the MT years. He plays a gig to show a crowd what the current incarnation of the band is capable of.

Making more room for MT would make the audience think : "my, they were good with that guy!"

Jagger doesn't want to go that road. Shall we blame him?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 2, 2014 00:38

beautiful photos bye bye johnny!

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 2, 2014 00:43

These Adrian Thomson shots are probably the best pics of the guys since the start of the 14 On Fire Tour, and I've seen quite a few, thanks BBJ and hats off to the photographer !

HMN

Re: Rolling Stones - Perth Australia 1 November 2014
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 2, 2014 00:43

With no new album for 7+ years, no plans for another one and a 5 year break after 2007 it could be argued that there's nothing very "current" about the band these days...and in that context they might as well have gotten as much mileage out of Taylor as possible. The problem lies more probably with money/"unresolved business issues", i.e. if he played on half the tunes it might give him more leverage should he want to get "second opinions" down the road.

It seems our man Matt was manning some keyboards during OOC? He wasn't in Paris based it seems and I can't see Tim on them either, small adjustments, here and there...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 2, 2014 00:59

maumau
beautiful photos bye bye johnny!

Absolutely! Thanks as usual for posting, bbj thumbs up

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 2, 2014 01:04

dcba

Except Jagger doesn't jump on a stage to celebrate the MT years. He plays a gig to show a crowd what the current incarnation of the band is capable of.

Making more room for MT would make the audience think : "my, they were good with that guy!"

No, cause Jagger knows very well that the band cannot deliver the Taylor years anymore, unless Taylor (and the rest of the band) would blow the roof off like back in the day, but that requires a lot more rehearsals. The Stones are a nostalgia act, they are getting old, and the audience is satisfied.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 2, 2014 01:10

Honestman
These Adrian Thomson shots are probably the best pics of the guys since the start of the 14 On Fire Tour, and I've seen quite a few, thanks BBJ and hats off to the photographer !

Hard to argue with that - those shots are simply superb, Can't stop admiring them!

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: November 2, 2014 01:18

Beast
Honestman

Hard to argue with that - those shots are simply superb, Can't stop admiring them!

Agree 100%. Who would have ever thought they'd still be so good for so long?! Hope you're well Sara!

Date: November 2, 2014 01:23

flairville
Beast
Honestman

Agree 100%. Who would have ever thought they'd still be so good for so long?! Hope you're well Sara!

...and again, I agree - those pictures are quite extraordinary.......god, they are having fun!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 2, 2014 02:16

crawdaddy
mtaylor
Maybe expected a couple of gems (Silver Train/Sway/Like A Rolling Stone/If You Can Rock me) compared to Perth1 as it is the only place with 2 conserts. But good Keith is rotating his song choice....

You are joking aren't you ?

They got Loving Cup, All Down the Line and Out of Control at Perth 2.

I would be well pleased if I had gone to both Perth gigs and had those setlists, and Keith playing 4 different songs. >grinning smiley<
No in fact not joking - OOC was already played on Perth1. Anyway, no big surprise either. Anyway, waiting for them in London summer 2015 where I will see as much as possible.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: November 2, 2014 02:29

dcba
71Tele
I know it's been said, but using Mick Taylor as a one-song special guest is complete waste of his talent, and an insult to his contribution to the band during what some of us believe were their most creative and productive years. They play Loving Cup and don't include Taylor? Come on.

They should want to put the best act possible on stage. They clearly need a third guitarist as we had Blondie even before Keith declined to his current minimalist
chord approach. Taylor is not Taylor of 72, but clearly could help fill in the sound which guitar wise is quite thin . I think it is a simple case of laziness as the band does not want to work harder as MJ knows most in the audience could care less about the tempo and overall sound . However, for us die hards to simply be satisfied because they are still playing is a disservice to the band . The Stones were a guitar driven band even after MT left. They did fine in 75, 78, 81 , and probably up to Licks Tour. Unfortunately, Keith's limitations are painful and the songs, even JJF, are at times in slow motion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 02:30 by Brstonesfan.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: November 2, 2014 02:38

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 19:46 by colonial.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: November 2, 2014 02:54

Wednesday nite was 7 outta 10. Last nite was a flat 10.

Great setlist, everyone of them on. I never thought they'd pout do Melbourne of 2006 where they came out as if they had something to prove - but I was wrong. Last nite they really were the greatest on Earth.

Great opening. YGMR was brilliant. IORR was the best version I'd heard since the the late 70s, ADTL was the best live version I've ever heard - tight man really tight. TD was great. Was expecting ER for fan choice but was so happy when they ripped out Loving Cup. Three Exile songs in four!

Keith's set was great. BTMMR was the best live version I'd heard and Happy was awesome (bonus of no Can't be seen either...)

Won't go on other than to say my 7 year old daughter was jumping about and sang to so many songs we didn't get in till midnite and she's still asleep now at 9am. She wanted Ruby Tuesday, Child of the moon, Paint it black and She's a rainbow but said she'll email Mick amnd ask him to play them next time we see them - how could he refuse?

The best thing about last nite is they all looked so happy to be there and to be in each other's company.

No need for complaints - we got Taylor back for this tour and that's more than we ever expected. MR was utterly sublime - whole band in sync. It was a bit dodgy Wednesday. I think they're now run in and will continue to reign supreme thru the rest of Oz and NZ.

I don't know how the hell they do it, but I'm so glad they do smiling smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 2, 2014 03:20

Brstonesfan
dcba
71Tele

They should want to put the best act possible on stage. They clearly need a third guitarist as we had Blondie even before Keith declined to his current minimalist
chord approach.

I can only refer to Adelaide and the 2 Perth shows I attended. Keith appears to have abandoned his, by your words, minimalist approach to chords. He is laying them ALL down, hard, precise and lots and lots of them. And his solos are right on too. I love Taylor, but I must be in the minority. I am happy to have the Stones as they are, with Taylor guesting for Rambler. They could strap an electric on him for Satisfaction, but that's all.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 2, 2014 03:28

Wooo ooww! Great reviews. Thanks!smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 03:30 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: November 2, 2014 04:11

BBJ those pictures are great.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1546
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home