Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT The Final Allman Brothers Band Show
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 30, 2014 14:28

Who sang "Blue Sky"?

ABB was first concert I ever went to - Macon 1975 with Chuck on piano. Seen them a number of times since. Always impressive.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 30, 2014 14:35

Elmo Lewis
Who sang "Blue Sky"?

ABB was first concert I ever went to - Macon 1975 with Chuck on piano. Seen them a number of times since. Always impressive.

I caught part of the show on Sirius yesterday, and caught Blue Sky, I'm thinking it was Warren Haynes as it sounded like Allman singing backup.

I didn't remember Haynes sounding like that but then again I haven't seen them since the Jimmy Herring days...

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: October 30, 2014 14:54

Hopefully a boot of this will appear....

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: October 30, 2014 15:01

I was lucky enough to see the ABB in December of 1971. Apparently it was the second show after the death of Berry Oakley. It was a smoking' show and, in typical ABB fashion, ran long. We kept my friend's parents (our ride home) waiting as long as we could but still didn't see the end.

I was delighted when they regrouped in the early '90s and started playing regularly around where I live. I saw 6-7 times from 94 to 2008 but my favorite incarnation was Dickey and Warren on guitars. Check out the recent Beacon '91 album and you'll see what I mean.

My only regret is my kids didn't get to see them. I have a feeling, however, that their retirement may be short lived

Re: O/T Allman Brothers Band: The End
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: October 30, 2014 15:07

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
ab

I saw Dickey do a guest spot with the Tedeschi-Trucks Band last September at the Beacon. It was cringe-inducing how badly he played. He seemed drunk and couldn't keep up on dual guitar lines that he wrote and has played 1,000 times. It was sad to see the author of the greatest rock instrumental ever (In Memory of Elizabeth Reed) unable to play his finest achievement competently.

Here that performance is. Yes I agree it is not Dickey Betts at his best, but you gotta give the 70 year old legend an A for effort, and the band an A+ for changing the tempo and such to try to match his playing.

To put it into perspective, who knows how Duane would be playing at that age, Keith never even tries to do complicated arranged solos like this, and Derek and Warren are quite a bit younger. peace

His playing is fine (listened to the first half of the clip only), but I bet he has some hearing issues. He keeps falling behind the beat a lot.
the band stinks not him

Posted by: LoveYouLive ()
Date: October 30, 2014 20:18

kovach
Elmo Lewis
Who sang "Blue Sky"?

I caught part of the show on Sirius yesterday, and caught Blue Sky, I'm thinking it was Warren Haynes as it sounded like Allman singing backup.

I didn't remember Haynes sounding like that but then again I haven't seen them since the Jimmy Herring days...

It was/is Warren.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 30, 2014 20:25

Love the ABB. Saw them maybe 8 or 9 times through the years (yeah, I'm old). No elaborate stage props/show biz crap to divert the audience's attention. All about the music. Seeing Dickey Betts onstage with the ABB for the final show(s) would have been something else, but Gregg Allman hates Betts with a passion so no way this was ever gonna happen. Re Dickey, saw him live at a local bar/club in Lancaster, Pennsylvania touring with his own band after he'd been kicked out of the ABB. I knew from reading about the ABB that all had or had had drug and drinking problems. Betts was very sad to watch in Lancaster. He had bottles of Budweiser lined up on the stage railing before him and kept hitting on the Bud all night. He couldn't play worth a damn and had other people sing his songs. I understood very well then why the ABB had let him go. What a loss to the music world.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 30, 2014 20:40

He had bottles of Budweiser lined up on the stage railing before him and kept hitting on the Bud all night.

Budweiser?! No wonder his playing was reduced. Someone give that man a cold Heinekin, there is still hope!

His playing is fine ,.... He keeps falling behind the beat a lot.

Well I guess if you consider falling behind the beat fine?? confused smiley

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-30 20:46 by Naturalust.

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: October 30, 2014 21:39

I´m not in the ABB. Wasn´t Chuck in the band? he missed this gig then?

Date: October 30, 2014 22:02

Check out this link re Chuck and the ABB.

[www.allmanbrothersband.com]

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: October 30, 2014 22:50

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
ab

I saw Dickey do a guest spot with the Tedeschi-Trucks Band last September at the Beacon. It was cringe-inducing how badly he played. He seemed drunk and couldn't keep up on dual guitar lines that he wrote and has played 1,000 times. It was sad to see the author of the greatest rock instrumental ever (In Memory of Elizabeth Reed) unable to play his finest achievement competently.

Here that performance is. Yes I agree it is not Dickey Betts at his best, but you gotta give the 70 year old legend an A for effort, and the band an A+ for changing the tempo and such to try to match his playing.

To put it into perspective, who knows how Duane would be playing at that age, Keith never even tries to do complicated arranged solos like this, and Derek and Warren are quite a bit younger. peace

His playing is fine (listened to the first half of the clip only), but I bet he has some hearing issues. He keeps falling behind the beat a lot.

Liz Reed wasn't really the low point of that performance - not in a position to find it right now but his solo on The Sky Is Crying, which I recall was the encore, was truly terrible. Betts is a shadow of his former self. At his best he was flat-out incredible, alas no longer.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 31, 2014 00:39

DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
ab

the band stinks not him

Wow DoomandGloom, I didn't realize that you have NO musical ear, so sad.

Date: October 31, 2014 01:40

Yep...Nothing wrong with that band. If we musicians could all be so lucky to have them backing us! The way they are listening to Mr. Betts and making changes on the fly...true pros. And to tie this to another thread, I'd love to see a Bob Dylan show with this band backing him! peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-31 01:57 by Naturalust.

Date: October 31, 2014 02:46

Re the ABB final shows: Would love to see the Stones go this way...forget the elaborate stage set, the obligatory Keith songs...the requisite hits...and just rock out surprising the audience with stuff they haven't heard in years or expected to hear. The Stones don't have to be doing final shows, but they sure as hell could be playing more than the usual golden oldies set list with the required new song or two to break things up. Imagine a "Gimme Shelter" where the guitars go on for a few exta measures in the instrumental riff, the sound of the guitars getting edgier and edgier, louder and louder, Charlie pounding the living sh*t out of the drums as the tune rolls on; imagine a "Time Is On My Side" where Mick does the James Brown thing and drops to his knees as the guitars wail with every scream by Mick of "Time Time Time...Is On My Side"; imagine the audience getting up and dancing its ass off as the Stones crank out "Around and Around", "Carol" and any number of Chuck B tunes; imagine the Stones throwing everybody for a curve and cranking out a long slow blues jam on "Stormy Monday" or "The Thrill Is Gone". Damn...we'd all pay high dollar to hear this kind of show.

Date: October 31, 2014 03:50

BluzDude
DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
ab

Blinded by my love for Dickey.

the band stinks not him

Wow DoomandGloom, I didn't realize that you have NO musical ear, so sad.

Date: October 31, 2014 03:53

I love Dickey, he can do no wrong. If there's something wrong it's not him, just leave it like that.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: October 31, 2014 05:06

Regrets they never made it out to Australia although this year I did see Warren Haynes and Devon Allman who were both brilliant!

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 31, 2014 17:11

The best version of the ABB was when Betts and Haynes were together in the 90's.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 31, 2014 17:22

mrsoandso
I was there last night (and this morning) too. Definitely a night to remember. It was one of those rare shows where you have high expectations going in, and all are exceeded. It is such a joy to watch Derek and Warren play off of each other.

FYI - SiriusXM is rebroadcasting the show.

Wow, you and bleedingman so a heck of a show, huh, expectations exceeded, nice!

I saw the original line-up once in the spring of 1971.

Then I traveled to two of the ABB March shows in NYC. I'm glad I did.
Wish I would have been there at this one.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 31, 2014 18:39

Hopefully a boot of this will appear....<<<<<

[m.soundcloud.com]

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: October 31, 2014 22:38

winos
Regrets they never made it out to Australia although this year I did see Warren Haynes and Devon Allman who were both brilliant!
I was lucky enough to see both of Gregg's Australian dates this year!

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: November 1, 2014 00:14

Oh man - what a band! Always loved them, always will. Very close to the Stones as far as the music I love is concerned. I owe them incredibly much for their music.

Man, I'm gonna miss them ... their music shines on.

Date: November 1, 2014 03:33

Been listening to my Allman Bros. records since this thread came out, they still move me.

Only one thing kind of irritates me....There was a period where I was buying most every Allman record that came out. The problem was that it seemed all the new records were almost the same 'ole songs, just in a different order. I was duped more than once into buying new records which basically had NO new material. I certainly became wary of carefully checking out the track lists after that.

And hey DoomandGloom, although I may not be as blinded as you to the state of Mr. Betts playing these days, I am touched by your love for the guy and glad to see you stick up for him. He had definitely earned my respect enough to say he is one of the giants whose footsteps next generation guitarists like myself will always be walking in.

Here is a treat and a nod to the new Allman guitarists, Warren and Derek. peace

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 1, 2014 19:14

Dickey is legendary! Unfortunately, that video with the TTB is sad. He just can't keep up. The band tries desperately to find his tempo but there just isn't one with any consistency. It's like a breath of fresh air when Derek takes the lead. Thanks for posting.

The Allman Brothers are just about the best band to ever make music. Forty-five years of perfection. So Glad I have recordings of most of their recent Beacon runs so they can live on! I just hope Gregg gets back up to full health and there will be some reunions in the future.

Ross

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: November 1, 2014 20:35

Saw them in 89 here in South Florida. Great show.
Obviously I prefer the Stones even with their
imperfections, but Allman Bros. are one of the few bands
I don't change the stations when they come on. Dickey worked so hard to play like Duane and was outstanding. They should have made a place for him
as Keith is certainly no better and the Stones can't mask
his imperfections whereas the Allman Bros. can cover for Betts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-01 20:36 by Brstonesfan.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 1, 2014 21:00

I highly recommend the recent book on the Allmans "One Way Out" which sheds a lot of light on the Dickey issue and explains why any reunion was, to say the least, highly unlikely.

Here's a recent Dickey article/interview:

[www.ticketsarasota.com]

Nice clip of "Black Hearted Woman" (missing the first few seconds):

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 01:16 by bleedingman.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 2, 2014 01:46

I bought the last two ABB albums, the live One Way Out, and Hittin' The Note; both were excellent. These albums were far better than the stuff on Epic, which isn't too bad.

However, while I like what Dickey did on Eat A Peach, Brothers & Sisters, and Wipe The Windows Dollar Gas, the Warren / Derek nexus showed a much-needed return to the blues, which is where the band came from.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 16, 2014 03:50

Talked to Dickey back in May at the Peabody bar in Memphis before his show, was nice enough although didn't seem like the type that wanted to be bothered so kept it short. Was also nice enough to shake my hand after a show in St. Louis shortly after he was kicked out of the ABB even though I was wearing an Eat a Peach shirt. :-)

I always liked his country contrasts to Greg's blues and felt they lost that when he was out of the band, and I sort of lost interest. But reading Greg's book, understood why...

But man they may have been the ultimate American band (although CCR could lay claim to that title as well)...seeing them probably 10 times between their 20th and 30th anniversaries, and Greg and Dickey solo shows in between (and Derek too), they will certainly be missed.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 17, 2014 05:07

Saw the ABB in Macon in 1990 for their 1st show in Macon since 75 or 76, and it was a 4-hour rock fest. Saw them 3 months later and it sucked, because Greg couldn't sing. New Years 91-92 in Macon was very good, but the last ABB show I saw in 94-95 was horrible with the vox being painful. Since then, saw Greg live and walked out of the show because he is truly horrible these days as he has been for the past 20 years.

The ABB of Duane daze was legendary, and the renassaince the band enjoyed in 90-92 was very good. For the past 20 years, the only thing redeeming this band besides its original drummers is that so many incredible musicians signed up.

Eat a Peach and all before are incredible records.

R.I.P.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 17, 2014 19:08

I didn't think anybody went to see the ABB to hear Greg sing. 99.9 people go to hear the band play. Dickie, Warren, Derick, Jimmmy etc. That's why I go. Could care less about the vocals.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1703
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home