Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT The Final Allman Brothers Band Show
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 29, 2014 07:50

Just finished past midnight, making the final notes on October 29th, the 43rd anniversary of Duane Allman's death. Looks like a smoking show to send off one of the greatest rock bands of all time. Sirius XM radio will be broadcasting the entire show tomorrow.

Allman Brothers Band
2014-10-28
Beacon Theater
New York, NY

Set 1

Little Martha>
Mt. Jam>
Don't Want You No More>
Not My Cross to Bear>
One Way Out
Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
Midnight Rider
High Cost of Low Living
HotLanta
Blue Sky
You Don't Love Me

Set 2

Statesboro Blues
Ain't Wasting Time No More
Black Hearted Woman
The Sky is Crying
Dreams
Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
Liz Reed>JaBuMaOt>LizReed

Set 3

Melissa
Revival
Southbound
Mountain Jam>
Will The Circle Be Unbroken>
Mountain Jam

Encore:
Whippin' Post
Trouble No More
Little Martha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-29 07:53 by Javadave.

Re: OT The Final Allman Brothers Band Show
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 29, 2014 08:13

Apparently, the final song the band played was "Trouble No More" followed by the Eat A Peach version of "Little Martha" as a slide show of Duane was shown.

[www.jambase.com]

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 29, 2014 09:49

Lot of love and respect for ABB! They retired undefeated . So sad i never had the chance to see them live

Date: October 29, 2014 10:12

andrea66
Lot of love and respect for ABB! They retired undefeated . So sad i never had the chance to see them live

+1

Would have loved to see them in concert.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 29, 2014 12:36

kudos for a great band !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 29, 2014 14:03

Saw the boys twice. Really enjoyed their shows

Date: October 29, 2014 14:06

I would love to have seen them too - not sure they played London much though.

Date: October 29, 2014 14:07

Never came to Australia unfortunately.
Am I right in saying they rarely played outside the U.S. ?

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: October 29, 2014 15:26

The Classic Vinyl channel on Sirius/XM(channel 26) will broadcast last nights concert in its entirety starting at 12:00 noon E.S.T. today.

Posted by: LoveYouLive ()
Date: October 29, 2014 15:38

BeggersFingersSoup
Never came to Australia unfortunately.
Am I right in saying they rarely played outside the U.S. ?

Correct, it was even rare for them to play too even play out in the western U.S.

But most of the past 25 years, they could easily found at the Beacon in NYC each March.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 29, 2014 15:58

Sad day for me.

O/T Allman Brothers Band: The End
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 29, 2014 18:43

What a show! Started at 8:50, ended 1:30. Brilliant playing all around. First saw them at the Fillmore in '71. Never thought I'd see this:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-30 00:03 by bleedingman.

Re: O/T Allman Brothers Band: The End
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 29, 2014 19:37

Wow, sounds like you saw a great show. The Allmans have really kept the spirit of good rock shows alive and are obviously still love playing.A four hour show! That is unheard of these days. Can you even imagine the Stones pulling off something like that?

I have loved these guys since the first note of the Live at the Fillmore East record. Their inclusion of Derek Trucks with his superb slide playing really made them a treat to see live. Warren has done a GREAT job keeping the musicianship high in this band, and although I like the thought of Dicky Betts still playing with them, I'm OK with their decision to keep him at bay in order to keep the music strong.

If I understood the encore talk correctly I hear they are ending this legendary ensemble? If so, that is truly sad news and the end of a chapter of many of our lives. I was hoping to get to see them play more!

I have a feeling that this may not be the very last show. They will probably start getting outrageous offers to do one off shows, offers that are too good to resist. I just hope I'm in the position to take advantage of that situation if it happens.

In any case I am very grateful for the music and inspiration they have given me and wish them all joy and health in the years to come. peace

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: October 29, 2014 19:38

Man, I so wanted to be at this show. I'm from the UK, but currently live and work in Washington. I won't lie, after years of devoted fandom in which I could never afford to come across the pond to see them play, it was hard to be just a few hundred miles down the coast as they bowed out. But truly happy for those that did make it.

What a wonderful band, wonderful legacy, wonderful way to go out. I shall miss them.

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: October 29, 2014 19:46

I was there last night (and this morning) too. Definitely a night to remember. It was one of those rare shows where you have high expectations going in, and all are exceeded. It is such a joy to watch Derek and Warren play off of each other.

FYI - SiriusXM is rebroadcasting the show.

Date: October 29, 2014 19:48

They've made it clear that this is the end but, sure, one never knows. Warren is busy with Govt. Mule and Derek with his band with his wife Susan Tedeschi. Gregg has his solo band.

They did 3 sets with 2 intermissions. They ended with Gregg's speech and then played the first song they ever played together - Muddy Waters' "Trouble No More". A slide show with pics of Duane and the band went on the screen with a recording of "Little Martha". The audience had been throwing flowers on the stage and as the slide show played, Duane's daughter Galadrielle came out and picked a few up. Very poignant moment.

Here's a CBS news item on the final shows:

[www.cbsnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-29 19:50 by bleedingman.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 29, 2014 21:50

End of an era. What a frickin' awesome band. smileys with beer

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: October 29, 2014 22:47

Without Betts it's not the complete Allmans.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 29, 2014 23:11

One of the greatest live bands of all times. Sound was always superior to anyone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-30 14:59 by black n blue.

Date: October 29, 2014 23:24

Brstonesfan

Or Duane. Couldn't be helped. They rose above it, trust me.

Date: October 30, 2014 00:31

bleedingman
Brstonesfan

Or Duane. Couldn't be helped. They rose above it, trust me.

With Warren and Derek...yep, they rose way above it. Couldn't ask for two guys more committed to the job and able to keep the same spirit alive but take the musicianship and guitar playing to the stratosphere.

Mr. Betts certainly was great but I gotta trust this band to know when he became more of a burden than a help. It couldn't have been an easy decision and if he was holding his own (even most of the time), I'm sure he would have still been playing with them. peace

Date: October 30, 2014 00:49

Dickey has major anger management issues with the late Allman Brothers. That said, if he had walked on stage at the Beacon the audience would have gone berserk.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-30 01:04 by bleedingman.

Date: October 30, 2014 01:59

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 30, 2014 02:19

Saw them once, in 1976. My friend's dad was furious that he had to come pick us up and give us a ride home when the concert ended at 2:30 in the morning. "I'm never doing this again!" he said. He never had to. We had absolutely no interest in ever seeing them again, though we thoroughly enjoyed their opening act, the Marshall Tucker Band.

Date: October 30, 2014 02:51

Nice photo bleedingman! Gotta love the color of a Rock show.

All I know is I want one or more of those amps. What are we looking at Mathijs? peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-31 19:23 by Naturalust.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 30, 2014 05:41

bleedingman
Dickey has major anger management issues with the late Allman Brothers. That said, if he had walked on stage at the Beacon the audience would have gone berserk.

I was lucky enough to see the Allman Brothers Band about 40 times since 1992 with four guitar tandems (Betts-Haynes, Betts-Pearson, Betts-Trucks, and Haynes-Trucks) and saw every Beacon/United Palace stand since 1999. The lineup that they had for their last 14 years played at a level of musicianship that was as high as that of any band I've seen. But, as great as the last lineup was, the original lineup may be the greatest American electric band ever.

I saw Dickey do a guest spot with the Tedeschi-Trucks Band last September at the Beacon. It was cringe-inducing how badly he played. He seemed drunk and couldn't keep up on dual guitar lines that he wrote and has played 1,000 times. It was sad to see the author of the greatest rock instrumental ever (In Memory of Elizabeth Reed) unable to play his finest achievement competently.

If that's any indication, there's no way he could have played at a level necessary to be part of the present-day Allman Brothers Band. If you want to remember Dickey Betts, get the recent release of the 1992 Beacon shows instead.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-30 05:47 by ab.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: October 30, 2014 08:37

Great photo

Date: October 30, 2014 09:31

ab

I saw Dickey do a guest spot with the Tedeschi-Trucks Band last September at the Beacon. It was cringe-inducing how badly he played. He seemed drunk and couldn't keep up on dual guitar lines that he wrote and has played 1,000 times. It was sad to see the author of the greatest rock instrumental ever (In Memory of Elizabeth Reed) unable to play his finest achievement competently.

Here that performance is. Yes I agree it is not Dickey Betts at his best, but you gotta give the 70 year old legend an A for effort, and the band an A+ for changing the tempo and such to try to match his playing.

To put it into perspective, who knows how Duane would be playing at that age, Keith never even tries to do complicated arranged solos like this, and Derek and Warren are quite a bit younger. peace

Date: October 30, 2014 10:31

Naturalust
ab

Here that performance is. Yes I agree it is not Dickey Betts at his best, but you gotta give the 70 year old legend an A for effort, and the band an A+ for changing the tempo and such to try to match his playing.

To put it into perspective, who knows how Duane would be playing at that age, Keith never even tries to do complicated arranged solos like this, and Derek and Warren are quite a bit younger. peace

His playing is fine (listened to the first half of the clip only), but I bet he has some hearing issues. He keeps falling behind the beat a lot.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: October 30, 2014 14:16

I first saw the Allman Joys here in central Florida in the mid sixties, was lucky enough(and OLD enough!) to see the original lineup a few times, it was a great time to grow up with so many great bands stretching the envelope and doing things that had never been done before! Have seen Dickey a couple of times down ere in the last few years and he is hit or miss...but most of my childhood heroes who are still playing these days have had to change the tempo or play their songs in a different key than they once did.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1534
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home