Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sharing the mic - Mick and Keith
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 26, 2014 20:53

It was always special to hear and see these guys when they shared the microphone. Seems like I could hear Keith better and it showed the brotherhood bond these two once had.

When did this stop? Anybody have any other videos or photos of this? Thanks.

Here is one of my favorites from 1972, Dead Flowers. peace

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Sharing the mic - Mick and Keith
Date: October 27, 2014 01:59

If I'm not mistaken, the last time they shared a mic during a performance was the 1995 Brixton gig for...Connection?

Date: October 27, 2014 02:21

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
If I'm not mistaken, the last time they shared a mic during a performance was the 1995 Brixton gig for...Connection?

Just checked that out, nice show! But unfortunately it looks like Keith sang that one with a little help from Bernard Fowler, no Mick in sight near his mic.

I'm guessing they quit sharing a mic about the same time they quit sharing dressing rooms and backstage company. confused smiley Anyway it sure seemed to work for them whenever I saw/heard it, and love that photo from Muscle Shoals with the bottle of whiskey...

I'm sure someone in this learned crowd can shine some light on the subject. peace

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 27, 2014 03:14

They did it in the Shine A Light movie. Forget which song. It's been discussed here before. I just can't remember it all that well.

I miss it too.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: jimpietryga1 ()
Date: October 27, 2014 06:06

Beacon II Far Away Eyes . I thought the Keith just ended up out of position for his mic, and the magic happened. I never felt it was planned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-27 06:08 by jimpietryga1.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 27, 2014 08:52

I always thought that was a great scene on Far Away Eyes although I believe I've read here before that Scorsese wanted them to sing together on it?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 27, 2014 09:08

Rome this summer. I was there and that was a great moment.

Date: October 27, 2014 09:18

Before SAL it was supposedly Leeds 1982, during Little T + A. I've never seen it myself, though..

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: October 27, 2014 09:30

At one of the shows this year Mick brought the microphone over to Keith and Keith sang into it with Mick.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 27, 2014 09:39

I'm sure the Faraway Eyes mic-share was choreographed, but that's all right.
It wasn't unplanned in 1972 either, or 99% of the other times it happened.
They did it on the Babylon tour a couple of times as well. There have been miles of threads ...
Here are a few:
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
Have fun! :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-27 09:50 by with sssoul.

Date: October 27, 2014 11:07

Thanks with sssoul, guess I was sleepin' through those other threads. hey barbabang, do you remember which song it was in Rome? peace

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 27, 2014 11:11

I think it was Let's Spend The Night Together.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: October 27, 2014 11:21

same in Zurich in 2014 as well, if i remember well

resotele

Date: October 27, 2014 11:26

resotele
same in Zurich in 2014 as well, if i remember well

resotele

And no one mentioned it before now? Cool! thumbs up

Posted by: harrybo ()
Date: October 27, 2014 12:51

It was during Let `s spend the night together just for a few seconds...
an when Keith put his arm on Micks shoulder Jagger moved away.

Date: October 27, 2014 13:14

harrybo

In Zürich?

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: October 27, 2014 13:28

at obout 3:10 :

resotele

Posted by: harrybo ()
Date: October 27, 2014 13:39

DandelionPowderman
harrybo

In Zürich?

In Zürich.

Date: October 27, 2014 13:41

resotele

resotele

That doesn't count! Two different mics winking smiley

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 27, 2014 13:58

DandelionPowderman
resotele

resotele

Yes and No. This is touching.. Mick goes for four seconds of nostalgia, Keith seems he wants some more, Mick exits with a smile

Date: October 27, 2014 14:06

The Joker
DandelionPowderman
resotele

resotele

Yes and No. This is touching.. Mick goes for four seconds of nostalgia, Keith seems he wants some more, Mick exits with a smile

True, but this happens in almost every show. Sharing one mic, however, never or very, very rarely happens...

Date: October 27, 2014 18:27

Well,,um,, that didn't look too touching too me. Mick looked like he was shocked that Keith tried to touch him and jerked away like Keith was an unruly fan who jumped onstage.

What I was looking for is the brotherhood feeling we used to get when they shared the mic for an entire song chorus (or two).

Maybe I should change the question to when was the last time Mick actually touched Keith. eye popping smiley

peace

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: October 27, 2014 19:42

"Maybe I should change the question to when was the last time Mick actually touched Keith."

- Rome 2014:

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: October 27, 2014 19:51

cool smileySo

(Always took candy from strangers)

Date: October 27, 2014 23:07

Keith seems to be throwing his arm around Jagger a lot. Is Jagger's left arm around Keith is that photo?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 28, 2014 00:02

with sssoul
I'm sure the Faraway Eyes mic-share was choreographed, but that's all right.
It wasn't unplanned in 1972 either, or 99% of the other times it happened.
They did it on the Babylon tour a couple of times as well. There have been miles of threads ...
Here are a few:
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
Have fun! :E

Yeah, this question seem to pop up once in a while...grinning smiley

But I think with sssoul makes a good point about it being a part of choreography already from the beginning. Or at least from the times when those photos and poses became iconic - much or less during 1972 tour, that is. I can't recall instances from the 60's when Jagger shared a microphone with anyone on stage. The back up singers, Bill and Brian, seemed Beatle-like share a same microphone on stage, which was mostly due to limits of equipment they had then. Keith normally had a mic of his own when he was doing backing vocals. In ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS Mick and Keith shared a mic in "The Salt of The Earth" but that was very much choreographized. Can't recall any from 1969 - Keith wasn't singing very much then (only "Honky Tonk Women"?).

So if that does not happen as much as it did in, say, 1972, or even 1982, doesn't mean necessarily that their relationship turned colder or something like that. Maybe they just got tired, and didn't think it as essential any longer, especially when the stages got bigger, and both Mick and Keith had more room for their own individual showmanship (new choreographical ideas). Probably those iconic images of them sharing a mic have stuck so much into our memory that we might read a bit too much for them... It was just posing (but looking damn good...) When Jagger nowadays seems to be keen on doing like that it looks a nod to the past, or like using one of his tricks, just like some other stage gestures he might occasionally do (for example, moving a microphone stand in a pure 60's way, etc.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-28 00:15 by Doxa.

Date: October 28, 2014 00:12

Doxa, I think it served a greater purpose than just posing. For one thing the mix of Keith and Mick could not otherwise be separated by the mixer. I liked it because I could actually hear Keith's harmonies when he was singing into Mick's mic!

Obviously there were similar benefits in the recording studio, for instance at Muscle Shoals. They had plenty of mics and could have easily separated the two but obviously recorded some parts with them singing into the same mic. Sometimes the mix from the artists ears as they are singing is going to be better than anything that can be done in post production.

peace

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 28, 2014 00:35

The ultimate song they shared the mic is:

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 28, 2014 00:51

Yeah, Naturalust, good points. I think the essential sharing a mic song is "Happy". If we look for example, legendaric performance in LADIES AND GENTLEMEN (or LIVE IN TEXAS, AUX ABOTTOIRS, etc.) the point of you making of mixing benefit and the posing claim I make go hand in hand. Mick and Keith's co-singing goes so effortlessly, when they share the same mic, breath almost like the same air, and Jagger 'supports' Keith so naturally, especially when Keith misses some bits (even though Mick's voice comes out so 'big'). I think one reason why Jagger actually 'wanted' to share a mic was rather natural: if he had sung his parts alone, he would have taken the spotlight out of Keith - the song would have became another Jagger showcase, which really wasn't teh intent I suppose. Even now the cameras in L&G seem to be more interested in Jagger's ass than Keith's heartful delivery...

Another interesting 'sharing a mic' song of those days is "Dead Flowers". Both MARQUEE '71 and L&G tell the same choreogaphical story based on music: Mick and Keith seem to make this beautiful but raunchy unit of their own, which musically is contrasted to Mick Taylor's fluidy lead guitar. The chorus is like a result of the tension between these two factors, Mick and Keith in one side (or corner), and Taylor there standing alone, with all these beautiful notes coming out of his guitar, on the other. In both versions, Jagger's performance is a bit insecure me thinks; the low register seems to be hard for him to do convincingly, and the tempo of the number does not look comfortable for his energetic presence then; it looks and sounds like that Richards both musically and visually gives him needed support there. The whole thing gives an interesting picture of the dynamics in the band. To me that looks pretty much choreographized, even though there might be some technical matter as well.

What I try to say that if we look those classical cases, there was something more going on, why that certain gestures were created. The point is that both Richards solo number a'la "Happy" with Jagger, or individual soloist, easily able to take the usical spotlight, like Taylor, are history now... Probably there is no 'need' for a classical Jagger/Richards sharing a mic routine any longer...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-28 00:57 by Doxa.

Date: October 28, 2014 01:00

Naturalust
Well,,um,, that didn't look too touching too me. Mick looked like he was shocked that Keith tried to touch him and jerked away like Keith was an unruly fan who jumped onstage.

What I was looking for is the brotherhood feeling we used to get when they shared the mic for an entire song chorus (or two).

Maybe I should change the question to when was the last time Mick actually touched Keith. eye popping smiley

peace

Keith didn't look unruly to me-Jager did look genuinely shocked, though (can't be seen with Keef? winking smiley )...

P.S. See what I did there?!?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-28 01:01 by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home