Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516
Current Page: 16 of 16
Re: Adelaide Australia 25 October 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: October 29, 2014 09:11

....and of course they stood back up for Miss You.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: October 29, 2014 10:11

jammingedward
maumau
Compare the repetitive setlists of the early seventies with today's is nonsense. they were in their heyday then, playing their latest, strongest stuff, in a catalogue that was not even 10 years old. That ended in 78. 81 was an added chapter to that but also a hint to what they could and would in fact be from 89 on.

New songs were limited to a smaller part of the setlist and basically at the beginning. Start me up was the last "new" song to make it to the "warhorses" part of the gig. It began the era of the "obscure" tracks to dig out from catalogue. There was the acoustic set in 95, the web choice in 97 and so on.

The best part of this was in 2002/2003 with the 3 venues per town idea + the album theme idea, even if it was early limited to the usual suspects. Of course i'd love to hear Parachute woman or She smiled sweetly and I think that to throw Till the next goodbye or Out of time in the list instead of Wild horses or Iorr once in a while could do no harm to the crescendo

Fact is that Mick thinks and design the setlist as a crescendo plus he is the one that sings (has to remember the lyrics) and feel more comfortable if he does not have to "think" about the lyrics and focus on the "working the crowd part" with his body and choreography. That is why he, and they, need a "safe" setlist at this point and at their age.

Fact is that it works very well on most nights and I have never left a gig unsatisfied (1990, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2014)

Post scriptum: I have seen the whole MR for Adelaide

so may I enlist among the "Lame Crowd Moaners"? It's incredible to see the work of Mick and the band AND all those people standing motionless, arms folded and silent... but hey, I'm italian and was at the Circo Massimo..

I was SHOCKED to see a couple in row ten sitting down throught all of Midnight Rambler while Jagger worked the crowd on the catwalk only a few feet away and Taylor was TEARING it up on guitar. WTF?
I was jumping out of my skin at that moment.
They were wearing the VIP lanyards, as were many near the front, all of which seemed to be spectators rather than participants of the concert. Why does jagger work so hard if he wants us to sit there moitionless...
But that's the kind of crowd you get up front with tickets at those prices.

I was in Row A and we had corpses in the 2 rows behind us SITTING during Rambler. I almost called security on them.
They of course jumped up for Miss You.
When OOC was on they sat and looked disinterested.
It looked like a lot of 'event' people who weren't even Hot Rocks fans were at the shows.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 29, 2014 10:20

The VIP's can be so funny. Just ignore them. Somebody else paid for their tickets...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: October 29, 2014 12:21

During MR at 10.47 you see the face of Keith, big, on the background of Mick. Looks like a great God, with a smile on his face, facing down at Mick.

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: Macnee2 ()
Date: October 29, 2014 12:26

Can anyone tell me of a better rendition live, of Wild Horses, since the iconic definitive 1976 Knebworth performance as seen on RollingStonesVEVO?

More than one person has said the Adelaide performance is the best since Knebworth.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Date: October 29, 2014 12:27

Sometimes people get speechless during a Stones show as well - not to be confused with the disinterested VIPs, of course smiling smiley

Adding to MauMau's post: Don't forget the brilliant setlists on the NS-tour. Both "obscure" numbers and rotation in the setlist thumbs up

And I don't think 1978 and 1981 were hints of what to come in 1989 (the SW tour had a good share of new songs in the setlist anyways). Those tours relied heavily (maybe more than ever?) on their latest songs.

Posted by: Macnee2 ()
Date: October 29, 2014 13:05

SW/UJ tour used a significant number of songs that had not been played live with any regularity in the past. Does anyone else feel that it all seemed pretty sterile though, when you look back at the videos from 1989-90?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-29 13:05 by Macnee2.

Date: October 29, 2014 14:02

I had a fantastic time....after I vacated my seat.
You see, I had the gall to actually stand up just before JJF.
Well, that was feeling I got after all the brave people in the dark SITTING behind me yelled continually for me to sit. Some in a extremely nasty manner.
So I did.
Last thing I wanted was to get into a abusive slinging match just as The Show started.
But I was seething. How dare these deadshits command me. I let it go the best I could...until after a beautiful rendition of Wild Horses. Time to stand now...surely the majority behind me would on their feet by now.
Their abuse was louder than their applause. I could take no more. I spied a couple of mates nearby that were in group all up and dancing, so's I turned to my well-spread admirers, flipped them the bird and went and had one of the best nights of my life!
Lesson: Deadshits are gonna be around ya wherever you go. Even Stones concerts!

Date: October 29, 2014 14:09

Macnee2
SW/UJ tour used a significant number of songs that had not been played live with any regularity in the past. Does anyone else feel that it all seemed pretty sterile though, when you look back at the videos from 1989-90?

I'd take this any day thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-29 14:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: October 29, 2014 14:28

Macnee2
Can anyone tell me of a better rendition live, of Wild Horses, since the iconic definitive 1976 Knebworth performance as seen on RollingStonesVEVO?

More than one person has said the Adelaide performance is the best since Knebworth.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know, but Adelaide was my 14th Stones show in 15 years and I think that version of Wild Horses was the single greatest Jagger performance I have witnessed in the flesh. He was very connected to the song, seemed lost in the moment and was in fine voice.
It's moments like that that keep me coming back!

Date: October 29, 2014 18:12

This Clip includes HAPPY (approx. by 7,00 Minutes)

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 29, 2014 22:11

Deathgod
jammingedward
maumau
Compare the repetitive setlists of the early seventies with today's is nonsense. they were in their heyday then, playing their latest, strongest stuff, in a catalogue that was not even 10 years old. That ended in 78. 81 was an added chapter to that but also a hint to what they could and would in fact be from 89 on.

New songs were limited to a smaller part of the setlist and basically at the beginning. Start me up was the last "new" song to make it to the "warhorses" part of the gig. It began the era of the "obscure" tracks to dig out from catalogue. There was the acoustic set in 95, the web choice in 97 and so on.

The best part of this was in 2002/2003 with the 3 venues per town idea + the album theme idea, even if it was early limited to the usual suspects. Of course i'd love to hear Parachute woman or She smiled sweetly and I think that to throw Till the next goodbye or Out of time in the list instead of Wild horses or Iorr once in a while could do no harm to the crescendo

Fact is that Mick thinks and design the setlist as a crescendo plus he is the one that sings (has to remember the lyrics) and feel more comfortable if he does not have to "think" about the lyrics and focus on the "working the crowd part" with his body and choreography. That is why he, and they, need a "safe" setlist at this point and at their age.

Fact is that it works very well on most nights and I have never left a gig unsatisfied (1990, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2014)

Post scriptum: I have seen the whole MR for Adelaide

so may I enlist among the "Lame Crowd Moaners"? It's incredible to see the work of Mick and the band AND all those people standing motionless, arms folded and silent... but hey, I'm italian and was at the Circo Massimo..

I was SHOCKED to see a couple in row ten sitting down throught all of Midnight Rambler while Jagger worked the crowd on the catwalk only a few feet away and Taylor was TEARING it up on guitar. WTF?
I was jumping out of my skin at that moment.
They were wearing the VIP lanyards, as were many near the front, all of which seemed to be spectators rather than participants of the concert. Why does jagger work so hard if he wants us to sit there moitionless...
But that's the kind of crowd you get up front with tickets at those prices.

I was in Row A and we had corpses in the 2 rows behind us SITTING during Rambler. I almost called security on them.
They of course jumped up for Miss You.
When OOC was on they sat and looked disinterested.
It looked like a lot of 'event' people who weren't even Hot Rocks fans were at the shows.

I reckon Mick Taylor is getting annoyed with Jagger kicking at him and otherwise telling him to hurry up and finish his solo...

listen to the interaction at 3.53 in this video. curly figures from Taylor around that harp..

fascinating what goes on during that song and how they riff on it and explore it still..

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516
Current Page: 16 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home