Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16
Re: Adelaide Australia 25 October 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Date: October 28, 2014 00:00

They have a pretty safe setlist at this point of their career. That makes sense, imo.

Still, they have played Lady Jane, I Wanna Be Your Man, Silver Train, the two new songs. Under The Boardwalk, Factory Girl, Out Of Control, Worried About You and 2000 Light Years From Home + other gems on this tour.

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: October 28, 2014 00:06

Stoneage
put on top of each other and repeated over and over it tends to be a bit monotonous and unexiting.

The Stones are like any successful band, whether they are stadium superstars or a pub band - they get paid to play songs that the majority of the audience wants to hear.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 28, 2014 01:31

I'm sure the most successful band in history really needs advice on what set to play from people who don't even attend the shows.

The Rolling Stones...still rocking all over the world fifty years down the line

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 28, 2014 01:46

AussieMark
The Stones are like any successful band, whether they are stadium superstars or a pub band - they get paid to play songs that the majority of the audience wants to hear.

A clever insight! It is funny that the same laws of entertainment - the expectations of the audience dictate the artistic choice of the performers ("people want to listen only stuff they are familiar with") - prevail in both ends of a spectrum of a succesful show business. Both the millionare stadium superstars and the poor unknown local pub bands trying to entertain the customers have the same arguments for safe set lists based on 'war horses'/rock classics/evergreens... Luckily, there are some grey areas, or if not, there are still some rebellous performers who don't quite accept that rule... But then they are doomed to be not so big and popular at box office (Dylan, Young, etc.) or starve to death (those poor bastards at local pubs who try to show artistic ambition, and play unknown originals, and get kicked out soon...)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-28 02:01 by Doxa.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: October 28, 2014 01:51

Doxa
AussieMark

A clever insight! It is funny that the same laws of entertainment - the expectations of the audience dictate the artistic choice of the performers ("people want to listen only stuff they are familiar with") - prevail in both ends of a spectrum of a succesful show business. Both the millionare stadium superstars and the poor unknown local pub bands trying to entertain the customers have the same arguments for safe set lists based on 'war horses'/rock classics/evergreens... Luckily, there are some grey areas, or if not, there are still some performers who don't quite accept that rule... But then they are doomed to be not so big and popular at box office (Dylan, Young, etc.) or starve

to death (those poor bastards at local pubs who try to show artistic ambition, and play unknown originals, and get kicked out soon...)

- Doxa
But on the other hand they do seem to enjoy what they play

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: October 28, 2014 02:51

bv
I think it is VERY stupid to complain about setlists in this thread. The Rolling Stones have arrived into ADELAIDE for the first time in 19 years, and for the 2nd time in 41 years. Most people who went to see the Stones in Adelaide have seen the Stones ZERO or max ONE time ever in their life. It is only natural that they play their BEST set of songs, the same set they play in every city these days. Nobody want to hear Gomper and In Another Land. The Adelaide fans got the best show the Stones do offer these days, and I do feel sorry for those who constantly sit on the internet and complain about setlists. Get a life!

For those who complain every time, I assume you wake up every morning with a person next to you in the bed. Do you complain about the fact that this person is THE SAME person EVERY morning? Time for a change? Or time to realize you are getting old and grumpy?

I love what the Stones do perform. I don't demand changes every time. I love what they do. If I wasn't happy with the band I would follow Garth Brooks or somebody else, but I follow the Stones, the band who play usually the same setlist always, they have done so for 40-50 years now, and people love it.

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: October 28, 2014 03:22

It's interesting, isn't it? In the 60s/70s/80s didn't the Stones play pretty much the same set list every night? Probably like most bands do when they are on tour. When I first saw them on the Urban Jungle tour there was only one or two songs different as they are doing each night now.

I went to see them in Berlin this year and they played Waiting On A Friend which was a first for me and held a great deal of reverence as a close friend of mine died of cancer last year and he was a massive Stones fan and this was one of his favourite songs. Whenever I would see him he would always ask me to pick up the guitar and play this song. When they started playing it I looked up and said this ones for you Dax.

Getting back to it if you are there is because you are a fan and enjoy the moment, if you are not there what is there to complain about. Other than not seeing the show?

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: October 28, 2014 03:28

YES I agree. Sensible comment. I don't give a rats what they play as long as they are here to give old fans like me a treat. I have not seen them since Perth 65, and I am grateful.

Date: October 28, 2014 03:40

whiskey
YES I agree. Sensible comment. I don't give a rats what they play as long as they are here to give old fans like me a treat. I have not seen them since Perth 65, and I am grateful.

thumbs up I guess you will get a bit different set list now than in '65... Some other differences probably as well, but the band will be hot as hell again!

Have a great one, whiskey!

- Doxa

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: October 28, 2014 05:12

Yes Doxa, plenty of differences, but they still excite after all these years.For one night I will be young again lol.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 28, 2014 05:39

About the setlist and complaining...

The Rolling Stones have been playing the very same set list tour after tour for 52 years now. Anyone who follow them close do know this fact. First the set lasted for 25 minutes and they did two shows on the same night. Then as they got more songs later on they played for 1 1/2 hours but even in the 70's and 80's they played their greatest songs. Very same set list show by show on a tour. There have been tours like the "Fruit of the Loom" (Keith quote) tour 2002/2003 when they did theatre, arena, stadium, and mixed up a bit, and these days they do slot in stuff like "Wild Horses" and "Like A Rolling Stone", but in order to do that they have to exclude songs like "Street Fighting Man".

Most people who complain about setlists did not go to that show. They sit at home and are frustrated, otherwise they would not complain. I simply do not see the VALUE of complaining about setlists in a live thread about the Adelaide show. Just like I would never dream about walking up to a girl and say "I don't think you are pretty". It is a matter about manners.

For Perth I am sure they will change around a bit for the show number two, I assume they do stuff like Sway, but that is because there are TWO shows there, with room for some changes.

The SUN goes the other way over the sky here down under. From right to the left (still east to west but everything is upside down here). Should I make a complaint about this fact? I sit down on a table here in Australia and expect the sun to move to the right in the afternoon and it moves to the left. Should I complain? You may complain about a fly in your soup and dogshit in the streets and cold weather and warm weather and about getting old and about being too young to buy beer and about many things in life, but there is a limit of things and complaining.

If you are upset by me saying this then you must be upset by cold weather at winter times, because I have been saying this very same thing for so many times and so many years now, it is like telling the children you can't have candy every day, yet they ask Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and every day and suddenly on Saturday they get candy. Well the candy day is Perth #2 Sat. Nov 1.

By the way, if you want to complain about setlists, there is a separate place for that still, for those who want to express their feelings about set lists:

The ticket prices and other complaints thread : [www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 28, 2014 07:27

Excellent post!

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: October 28, 2014 08:08

not trying to be rude but why do they only play 19 songs and 22-25 songs?

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 28, 2014 09:26

Like I said, you either accept what they are now, or you don't go see them. But quit hoping for more. More is over.

Date: October 28, 2014 09:36

mandu

The 19 songs take 2 hours 15 minutes. They could play Rambler 5 minutes shorter and do the same with other songs, but personally I like shows to be 2h 15 max. A show of 3+ hours is too long. If you want more go to more shows.

Bjornulf

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: October 28, 2014 09:48

ok cool
I went to see them in Macau and they were fantastic

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: October 28, 2014 09:49

24FPS
Like I said, you either accept what they are now, or you don't go see them. But quit hoping for more. More is over.

So what do you say to the fans that have seen them play Lady Jane, I Wanna Be Your Man, Silver Train, the two new songs. Under The Boardwalk, Factory Girl, Out Of Control, Worried About You, 2000 Light Years From Home, Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, She's So Cold, Dead Flowers, Streets Of Love (!), It's All Over Now, Little Red Rooster, The Last Time, Memory Motel + other gems on this tour?

It's not over, but they are at a stage in their career where they probably need to play it safer, to be able to do quality shows.

There will always be SOME surprises when the Stones are playing. Maybe that's why some people get so disappointed when it doesn't happen smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-28 09:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 28, 2014 09:55

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 28, 2014 09:56

LOL! I thought it read "setlistmooners" grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-28 09:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: October 28, 2014 10:38

Adelaide got Out Of Control, an emotional and amazing Wild Horses, Like A Rolling Stone, plus the greatest songs of all time and the newie Doom and Gloom.

Nothing to complain about.
It was a great night of amazing rock.

Date: October 28, 2014 10:43

Yes, I loved the Adelaide show. Great show, great songs, great venue, great crowd, nice weather. What more can you ask for?

Bjornulf

Posted by: Macnee2 ()
Date: October 28, 2014 10:54

We not only had Stones Week with the boys staying in town, but a tour opener with the whole band in great form. This is not always the case as we have seen from other legs of the tour earlier this year. These guys give the greatest live show in 2014.

I would have rather heard All Down the Line than LARS, and Worried About You than LSTNT. Both of which are fair possibilities, played in Europe.

But this is petty, when I think that my 14yo girl got to see and enjoy the show put on by a group of old farts that she never believed could demonstrate ROCK the way they did on Saturday night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-28 11:03 by Macnee2.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: October 28, 2014 11:02

Bjornulf, thank you very much, for your great and comprehensive reports and great photos as well.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: October 28, 2014 11:04

bv
Yes, I loved the Adelaide show. Great show, great songs, great venue, great crowd, nice weather. What more can you ask for?

Shorter drink queues for the next Adelaide gig.....it was a very dry concert for me but I loved it anyway!

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Date: October 28, 2014 11:06

Hmm... some odd vibes here. When I followed this thread I had the picture that 'finally and luckily people have gotten over set list complaining', since those kind of posts seemed to have disappeared. I thought that people finally had seen that there is no point or need to do such a thing. But now when I saw this campaign towards such complaining, I needed to check the thread again, if my memory or selected reading have fooled me.

There are over 400 posts here. Among them I chased two or three 'straight' set list complaint posts (which all were one-liners), then one or two so-so cases plus there was two or three complaints about playing "Like A Rolling Stone", one of them coming from an attender of the concert.

With respect, but I think there actually is not such a big problem these strong reactions seem to imply. But, of course, maybe shooting with a heavy gun just for a warning, even though there actually is not an enemy in sight, might have a point to prevent such misbehaving to happen in future...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-28 11:07 by Doxa.

Date: October 28, 2014 11:19

Macnee2
We not only had Stones Week with the boys staying in town, but a tour opener with the whole band in great form. This is not always the case as we have seen from other legs of the tour earlier this year. These guys give the greatest live show in 2014.

I would have rather heard All Down the Line than LARS, and Worried About You than LSTNT. Both of which are fair possibilities, played in Europe.

But this is petty, when I think that my 14yo girl got to see and enjoy the show put on by a group of old farts that she never believed could demonstrate ROCK the way they did on Saturday night.

I have to agree on that one, Worried About You is such a great song for us the biggest fans, but I think may be the "normal" fans i.e. the 90% people love Wild Horses more because they know it better. I do still remember a friend of mine, a big fan, who finally got to hear Wild Horses in Copenhagen. He had been waiting to hear that song for ages, and he had traveled to NYC, Boston, Europe, you name it, never got it until that day. So we all have dreams and wises for special songs. I wish they play Memory Motel every time, they did one time in Boston, I was so happy. I am crossing my fingers for Perth #2 or Sydney #2 or Mebourne #2 I call them #2 because they are in the same area with the same fan base and they are fairly small size like Waldbuhne...

Bjornulf

Date: October 28, 2014 11:32

Doxa
Hmm... some odd vibes here. When I followed this thread I had the picture that 'finally and luckily people have gotten over set list complaining', since those kind of posts seemed to have disappeared. I thought that people finally had seen that there is no point or need to do such a thing. But now when I saw this campaign towards such complaining, I needed to check the thread again, if my memory or selected reading have fooled me.

There are over 400 posts here. Among them I chased two or three 'straight' set list complaint posts (which all were one-liners), then one or two so-so cases plus there was two or three complaints about playing "Like A Rolling Stone", one of them coming from an attender of the concert.

With respect, but I think there actually is not such a big problem these strong reactions seem to imply. But, of course, maybe shooting with a heavy gun just for a warning, even though there actually is not an enemy in sight, might have a point to prevent such misbehaving to happen in future...grinning smiley

- Doxa

True, but we know from experience that this spreads like fire in dry grass, as we say here in Norway winking smiley So I understand Bjørnulf's reaction.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: October 28, 2014 11:34

Doxa

- Doxa

Yes Doxa very odd: there are more posters complaining about people who complain about a setlist eye rolling smiley
The absolutisme of the cheerleaders is reaching an interesting level.

Date: October 28, 2014 11:41

bv
mandu

The 19 songs take 2 hours 15 minutes. They could play Rambler 5 minutes shorter and do the same with other songs, but personally I like shows to be 2h 15 max. A show of 3+ hours is too long. If you want more go to more shows.

Yes it's ridiculous.
They should do seven war horses and just repeat that for three times!

Date: October 28, 2014 11:46

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

So what do you say to the fans that have seen them play Lady Jane, I Wanna Be Your Man, Silver Train, the two new songs. Under The Boardwalk, Factory Girl, Out Of Control, Worried About You, 2000 Light Years From Home, Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, She's So Cold, Dead Flowers, Streets Of Love (!), It's All Over Now, Little Red Rooster, The Last Time, Memory Motel + other gems on this tour?

It's not over, but they are at a stage in their career where they probably need to play it safer, to be able to do quality shows.

There will always be SOME surprises when the Stones are playing. Maybe that's why some people get so disappointed when it doesn't happen smiling smiley

He doesn't have to say anything, does he? He's just giving an opinion. Stop asking silly and ridiculously childish questions like someone has to validate his opinion or something in front of this 'moral majority cheerleader squad'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-28 11:48 by Dreamer.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home