Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
revisted steel wheels
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 20, 2005 13:08

When has keith and mick on the same record each one of them sing a song with
great emotion and convicton. keith on slipping away and Mick on Almost Hear You Sigh.

Micks vocal on almost Hear You Sigh made me think of Dylan's song If You See he
Say Hello a great song about broken relationships.

Re: revisted steel wheels
Date: June 20, 2005 13:24

Both of the songs are great on SW. On Slipping Away, the song really takes off when Mick is coming in on the bridge. And Keith's sensitive acoustic solo on AHYS is really great. Ron's "Beast Of Burden-ish" licks also suits the song.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 20, 2005 13:35

I liked this album when it came out.......still do.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 20, 2005 14:49

OpenG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When has keith and mick on the same record each
> one of them sing a song with
> great emotion and convicton. keith on slipping
> away and Mick on Almost Hear You Sigh.

agree 100%. Two beautiful songs that are often overlooked. "Slipping away" was Keith's greatest ever vocal.

They're my second and third favourite songs on that album.

"Continental Drift" is IMO the best song the Stones have recorded in the last 25 years.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 20, 2005 15:05

I liked lots of SW.
Slippin away is a classic.
Why Rock and a Hard place wasn't the first single I'll never know.
Terrifying was innovative
Continental drift....superb

with VL I felt they lost alot of momentum and went very retro, shocking lyrics and NO BILL WYMAN!

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 20, 2005 15:06

Always liked Break the Spell. Dirty blues song.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: June 20, 2005 15:07

Terrifying & Continental drift >>> great !

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 20, 2005 15:26

Ablett,

You are SO right!

And the out-takes from that album, like Fancyman and Wish I'd Never, are just such natural band blues groove.

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: June 20, 2005 15:39

Always liked the album.

Mixed Emotions, Rock and a hard Place, Continental Drift, Always hear you Sigh and Slippin Away are my favs. When the played AHYS on the Urban Jungle Tour on that beautiful warm evening in Cologne and 65.000 people were summming that melody I had goosebomps. I will never forget that. What a beautiful song.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 20, 2005 15:51

Yeah I liked most of the b-sides as well. Even the remixes were fun.
I just think Wyman was a huge ingredient and due to the pressure to comeback with the goods you got quality songs.
Rock and a hard place would have been huge if it was the first single (or almost hear you sigh). Mixed emotions was just abit flat.
Then again I think Saint of Me should easily have been the 1st cut from B2B and Out of Tears from VL.

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 20, 2005 15:56

Yeah but "Fight" really sucks and kind of bogs down the first side. I think it's the first side. Been awhile since I've played that one.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 20, 2005 16:15

Finally the album seems to get all the credits it deserves. I never agreed with the harsh criticism or even bashing of the album (and the tour). To me it has always been a great album (much better than the poor DW), one of their better ones in the last 25 years. Some great numbers on that album, and they even sound better when I revisit the album these days.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 20, 2005 16:18

Gazza,

A great keith vocal . My fav is sing me back home during keith's toronto
sessions - he is so heartfelt waiting for his drug outcome very vulnerable

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 20, 2005 22:14

R Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah but "Fight" really sucks and kind of bogs
> down the first side. I think it's the first side.
> Been awhile since I've played that one.

Been too long - Fight ain't on the album!

I guess I'll be a naysayer on this one - a few half-decent songs - but as an album, it's the second-worst (DW gets the nod). An album where the Stones were trying too hard rather than just letting it come to them. RAAHP and Mixed Emotions suffer because of this...never liked either song. And Hold on To Your Hat is just downright embarrassing...

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 20, 2005 22:25

I'm with T&A on this one. I could never warm up to this disc. I liked Mixed Emotions, Slippin' Away, and Almost Hear but that's it. Continental Drift was pretty cool but like T&A said, they were trying way to hard. It was over produced in my opinion. The overall sound was too clean.

Before it's release, there was talk of a big tour and a great new disc and all this hype and I was thinking that the last time there was all this noise about a Stones disc we got Some Girls and then Tattoo You. I was hoping for the same from SW but it was a let down for me.

PS: I like DW better than SW. SW is my least favorite Stones disc save for the greatest hits discs.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 20, 2005 22:28

Agree with Gazza, Continental Drift is a pearl only the Stones can bring in R&R.
Saint of me was also powerful on stage and record. Someone called that the "haunting melody".

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 21, 2005 03:58

I DONT think SW is a great album by any stretch - it hasnt aged well, thanks to that production style

But the standout tracks on the album (the three I mentioned earlier) are truly magnificent

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: June 21, 2005 09:00

i like a rock and roll band, if it plays rock and roll. Hold on to your hat, sad sad sad ARE very good rock'n'roll songs. What a bassline in hotyh!!! AHYS, RAAHP, or ME are '80s pop shit, in my opinion.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 13, 2011 15:07

Almost Hear you Sigh.. a great song off the Steel Wheels album..

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 13, 2011 15:17

R
Yeah but "Fight" really sucks and kind of bogs down the first side. I think it's the first side. Been awhile since I've played that one.

Fight? On SW or VL?

Date: July 13, 2011 15:21

I opened a few beers to Sad Sad Sad when I bought the record. I still do. A great rock'n roll song, as good as any of the five string riff songs. smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 13, 2011 15:25

A slight disappointment when it came out. Mixed Emotions had no hit potential and it had no real relevance to the contemporary musicscene. A bland looking cover. Still a disappointment, a weak 2 out of 5. But, remember, in 1989 you still hadn't given up on great albums to come (of course, they never did...).

Date: July 13, 2011 15:28

Stoneage
A slight disappointment when it came out. Mixed Emotions had no hit potential and it had no real relevance to the contemporary musicscene. A bland looking cover. Still a disappointment, a weak 2 out of 5. But, remember, in 1989 you still hadn't given up on great albums to come (of course, they never did...).

Would you rather live without VL, B2B and ABB?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 13, 2011 15:34

Sure, Ned kelly. I can live without them. Let me keep the Four Flicks DVD-box though: that one I still play from time to time.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 13, 2011 21:35

Throw Sad Sad Sad and Can't Be Seen in the river Styx, replace with Fancy Man and Wish I'd Never Met You (thanks four stone walls) and find a better upbeat number and you'd have a great album. As it is I hope this gets the SACD treatment at some point.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: July 13, 2011 23:47

24FPS
As it is I hope this gets the SACD treatment at some point.
I'm 90% certain it was recorded on a Mitsubishi X850 digital tape recorder, which records at a resolution of 16 bits and a sampling rate of either 48 or 44.1 kHz. Since the latter was most likely chosen, an SACD release would be pointless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-13 23:47 by FreeBird.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 14, 2011 00:27

Steel Wheels? I prefer Dirty Work.
productions sucks, and "Rock and a Hard Place" is awful.
"Break the Spell" is awesome, though!

and to compare "Almost Hear You Sigh" (not bad Stonesy pop)
to Dylan's "If You See Her, Say Hello" (one of the most emotional songs ever)
one must be out of his mind tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 14, 2011 01:14

I amused that anyone could favor DW over any Stones other Stones album. SW was good. A lot of good tunes. Almost Hear You Sigh is the highpoint for me.

Date: July 14, 2011 01:58

SW is my personal favorite stones album. as much as in pains me to say this they should have retired in 1992 on their 30th anniversary. steel wheels was huge, the tour was huge, the guys still played great, bill wyman was still in the band. that was really the last time new stones music was relevant and the last time they had a big hit.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 14, 2011 02:06

I think "Sad Sad Sad" barely gets away with it on the studio cut. Live...never did it for me.

"Almost Hear You Sigh" and "Terrifying" are the only reasons I put on this album.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home