Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rodriguez (of "Searching for Sugarman" fame)
Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: October 24, 2014 02:11

I first heard Rodriguez's songs when I was a teenager in the 1970s. At most parties I went to back then his "Cold Fact" album was played some time during the night. Those of you have have seen the Academy Award winning documentary will know the story - how he was huge in Australia and South Africa, but virtually unknown in his home country (the USA) and how his record company ripped him off so none of the proceeds from his overseas record sales ever made it to Rodriguez. And how since being tracked down a few years ago by a South African record shop owner Rodriguez has been touring regularly and finally making some money from music sales after 40 years.

Anyway, I went to see Rodriguez last night at the Sydney Opera House. I'd read some of the reviews of his earlier shows on this tour so I mostly knew what to expect - his lack of interaction with the audience between songs, the tinted visor he wears for the first few songs until his glaucoma-affected eyes adjust to the stage lights, the pre-song huddles with the band to choose the next song (no set list), his loss of range on high notes (he is 72 years old, after all), and the addition of some unusual cover versions. With all that in mind, the concert was still great - I was happy just to be in the presence of Rodriguez and his amazingly crafted songs. Unlike Dylan (who I am also a big fan of), with whom he shares a lot in terms of stage (un)presence, age, and general awkwardness, Rodriguez's vocal still has his trademark tone and timbre, and he feels no need to reinvent his songs or experiment with a different melody on well loved songs. As for the covers, I wasn't too upset hearing Rodriguez sing Blue Suede Shoes or Fever, given I own a Dylan album that includes covers of The Boxer and Blue Moon :-)

Re: OT: Rodriguez (of "Searching for Sugarman" fame)
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: October 24, 2014 04:02

Good to hear he's alive and kicking. The documentary about him, "Searching for Sugarman," was moving and inspirational.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 24, 2014 04:39

AussieMark
I first heard Rodriguez's songs when I was a teenager in the 1970s. At most parties I went to back then his "Cold Fact" album was played some time during the night. Those of you have have seen the Academy Award winning documentary will know the story - how he was huge in Australia and South Africa, but virtually unknown in his home country (the USA) and how his record company ripped him off so none of the proceeds from his overseas record sales ever made it to Rodriguez. And how since being tracked down a few years ago by a South African record shop owner Rodriguez has been touring regularly and finally making some money from music sales after 40 years.

Anyway, I went to see Rodriguez last night at the Sydney Opera House. I'd read some of the reviews of his earlier shows on this tour so I mostly knew what to expect - his lack of interaction with the audience between songs, the tinted visor he wears for the first few songs until his glaucoma-affected eyes adjust to the stage lights, the pre-song huddles with the band to choose the next song (no set list), his loss of range on high notes (he is 72 years old, after all), and the addition of some unusual cover versions. With all that in mind, the concert was still great - I was happy just to be in the presence of Rodriguez and his amazingly crafted songs. Unlike Dylan (who I am also a big fan of), with whom he shares a lot in terms of stage (un)presence, age, and general awkwardness, Rodriguez's vocal still has his trademark tone and timbre, and he feels no need to reinvent his songs or experiment with a different melody on well loved songs. As for the covers, I wasn't too upset hearing Rodriguez sing Blue Suede Shoes or Fever, given I own a Dylan album that includes covers of The Boxer and Blue Moon :-)

Hey, Dylan's covers of those two songs are so weird (his lazily double-tracked Boxer vocal, in particular) that they're great.

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: October 24, 2014 05:21

71Tele
AussieMark
I wasn't too upset hearing Rodriguez sing Blue Suede Shoes or Fever, given I own a Dylan album that includes covers of The Boxer and Blue Moon :-)

Hey, Dylan's covers of those two songs are so weird (his lazily double-tracked Boxer vocal, in particular) that they're great.

Totally, I agree 100%

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 24, 2014 08:07

AussieMark
71Tele
AussieMark
I wasn't too upset hearing Rodriguez sing Blue Suede Shoes or Fever, given I own a Dylan album that includes covers of The Boxer and Blue Moon :-)

Totally, I agree 100%

Also, his cover of "Early Morning Rain"!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 24, 2014 15:45

71Tele
AussieMark
71Tele
AussieMark

Totally, I agree 100%

Also, his cover of "Early Morning Rain"!

Also, his cover of "Brown Sugar"!

Back to topic though...that was a great movie. Imagine living an entire life in obscurity only to become instantly famous and to find you are this revered mysterious figure in a far off land.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home